The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it normal to have surgery for cerumen removal?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline jimkat01

• View Profile
My daughter is 6 yrs old.  She had tubes put in her ears a few years ago and one of the tubes apparently came out and got stuck in a little wax.  Now, she has complete blockage and the ENT has scheduled her for removal under an anesthetic.  Is this normal?  He told me that he could try to get it out but, it would be too painful.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Is it normal to have surgery for cerumen removal?
« Reply #1 on: 18/01/2007 16:54:29 »
You know My son had many many sets of tubes. For that age it is very unlikely your daughter could be still enough to not move while a long instrument is inserted into her ear close to the eardrum to remove the tube and the wax blockage. If she moved it could be dangerous to her eardrum.. My son has had this done many times and it is a pretty simple procedure asI recall. He had it done twice as an older teenager, without anesthetic it was very uncomfortable and he hated it.. So a six year old I would say you should allow the doctor the benefit of the doubt. If you question this procedure you should take her for a second opinion to someone else, by all means be comfortable in knowing your daughters best interest is a priority!

Offline jimkat01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/01/2007 17:01:01 »
How many sets of tubes did your son have?  Curious because the same time that my daughter is having this procedure done, my son is having his 3rd set of tubes put in due to hearing loss because of fluid.

Thanks for reassuring me!  I was web surfing and most the treatment options were using a solution to break down the wax.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/01/2007 18:34:53 »
Well, I would hazard to guess 8 to 10 sets, I think closer to ten at last count as the last two were in office..  I would get a second opinion anyways unless you are comfortable with your doctor.. It is not worth beating yourself up over the doubts and what ifs!!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 18/01/2007 18:34:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums