The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Floaters in the eye  (Read 11846 times)

Offline JennyDofat

• First timers
    • View Profile
Floaters in the eye
« on: 06/02/2004 23:51:32 »
Hi, I have a question...

For the past week and a half I have been seeing a black spot when I look out of my left eye.   Sometimes when I blink, the spot will go away.  I was told that it might be something called a floater and that it would go away after a while.   I was also told that it could be something more serious.   Can anyone tell me what eles it might be and is it imperative for me to go see a doctor now, or can a wait a few weeks?

College student

Jennifer
« Last Edit: 21/03/2004 02:57:51 by NakedScientist »

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
Re: Floaters in the eye
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2004 08:07:12 »
I thought floaters were tiny little things that were transparent and look like drops of water that slowly slide down your line of vision if you concentrate on them? I think you should see a doctor right away, it doesn't sound normal. Or maybe just wait for someone more experienced to see your question, lol, also this should be moved to the 'Medicine' section.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2004 14:33:34 »
Floaters can be really big and distracting too.  I had one that looked like a spider in my peripheral vision for a while.  Thank goodness I don't have arachnophobia, but it was disconcerting.

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2004 00:53:15 »
Sorry if im wrong, but are floaters the end result of starring at a bright light, and the odd shaped black figures that never seem to go away?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2004 02:34:20 »
Floaters are tiny clumps of cells or gel inside the vitreous of the eye (the gelatinous filling of the eyeball).  Sometimes they come with age, however, they can come after an injury.  Usually, they fade with time.  Sometimes, they herald a retinal detachment, but I would imagine that would come with visual disturbance in addition to the floater.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2004 22:05:41 »
I have had a grey spot on the white of my eyeball since I was a kid that looks like a bruise.  I read that it's from a deficiency in vitamin A.  Could you actually bruise your eyeball so that it would make a mark like that?
« Last Edit: 20/02/2004 22:06:16 by Donnah »

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/02/2004 03:34:51 »
Jennifer, does your spot move?  I've always been under the impression that floaters float.  Personally, I'd already have been to the doctor.  Vision is the most precious of senses and I wouldn't take any chances.

----
John

Offline JennyDofat

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2004 19:41:25 »
Tweener,

Yes, it moves at times.

Jennifer

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/03/2004 18:49:01 »
I'd still go to the doctor.  I don't mind if they tell me I'm crazy - I just want to be sighted and crazy!

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #9 on: 31/03/2004 07:47:00 »
just sounds like a floater to me
(I know this is an old thread, but its the first time I read it, and I figured it belonged up with the other related ones)

This is a signature.... AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!

Offline beamer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/04/2004 17:47:06 »
I might be experiencing something similar. . .  I have something in my field of vision that looks an awful lot like a spidery floater, except that it doesn't float.  It stays in the same spot in my visual field (that is, if I look 10 degrees to the right, it moves 10 degrees to the right; if I look 5 degrees up, it moves 5 degrees up; and so on).  Doctors say that they don't see anything.  Is this similar to what you're experiencing?  Anyone have any insight?

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #11 on: 21/04/2004 07:43:55 »
yes, a floater is fixed on your eye... so it moves as you move your eye, thats why you usually don't notice them, because they're usually in the periffery of your vision and you can't stare dirrectly at them.

We don't want the loonies taking over!

Offline Scubarojo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/04/2004 15:32:01 »
Floaters, concerning them.  I just had a really nasty floater zapped in my right eye, by Dr. Geller in Ft. Meyers Florida on Monday April 12,2004.  It was very succesful and painless. I've had my floaters for many years and they drove me nuts, making reading and playing sports under lights dangerous...even driving.  If I had only my right eye before this procedure I would have considered myself about half blind...thank evolution for two eyes.  Most eye doctors will react with horror if you suggest what Dr. Geller does, but If your floater meets certain requirements as outlined on his website and your floater(s) are a real pain in the eye, so to speak, He can help. Now I just have a few wisps left, easy to ignore and see through.  I am familar with lasers having worked at a laser company in the 70's and am also familar with what they can do with other related work in the electronics business. So I know that the principle that Dr. Geller uses can and does work.  He uses a relatively potent laser and focus the beam down to a tiny point. By passing the beam through collomaters, essentially like lenses, remember getting a magnifing glass as a kid and frying ants...same thing...I know this sound like a dangerous thing to do to your eye..but by focusing the beam in the middle of the eye..the beam goes out of focus before it gets to the back where damage could be done. Abbra kadabra...floater zapped.

Look into it!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #13 on: 22/04/2004 00:04:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by beamer

I might be experiencing something similar. . .  I have something in my field of vision that looks an awful lot like a spidery floater, except that it doesn't float.  It stays in the same spot in my visual field (that is, if I look 10 degrees to the right, it moves 10 degrees to the right; if I look 5 degrees up, it moves 5 degrees up; and so on).  Doctors say that they don't see anything.  Is this similar to what you're experiencing?  Anyone have any insight?

No pun intended by "insight" I presume ?

If it genuinely a floater ?

Seriously though, 'floaters' float in the vitreous towards the back of the eye. But because the vitreous humour is gelatinous (like jelly) it exhibits significant 'inertia' so when you move your eye the vitreous moves, taking the floater with it. If you move your eye quickly, then lock it in place you might see the floater 'overshoot'.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 22/04/2004 00:04:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums