The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Power Naps - Are they beneficial ?  (Read 12932 times)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Power Naps - Are they beneficial ?
« Reply #25 on: 16/02/2004 17:19:19 »
I don't know much about "astral projection", I just knew who was at the door.  I was also able to control my dreams, as well as induce them to start on the topic of my choosing.

I keep thinking I shoud get back into meditation, but I don't seem to have the drive to get started on it.

Neil, I'll be glad to give you any input you want, but I'm really not sure how to instruct anyone.

----
John

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17/02/2004 00:49:02 »
Tweener - you used to be able to control your dreams? Until what age? I used to be able to control my dreams (when i was a child) and boy was that fun!

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17/02/2004 03:30:23 »
John, that's great that you could find things in the room and see through walls!  Different than astral projection because you didn't go there.  It sounds more like remote viewing.  

I'm another one who had good control of my dreams when I was a child, and the colors!  I could control my dreams, and still can to a lesser degree.  I love flying in my dreams (no technical intervention) but haven't done that for a while.  Now that you mention it I recall doing a lot more flying and dream control when I was meditating regularly.  

As a child I had terrible nightmares too, the kind where someone is chasing you or shooting at you and your shoes are made of lead, so you can only run in slow motion and you try to scream and you can only squeek out some pathetic sound.  Got rid of those by controlling my dreams.  There was a man with a knife chasing me through a bog and I kept telling him I didn't want to fight.  I stopped, faced him and put my hands up.  He slashed me across the ribcage and I got so angry that I grabbed his knife and did him in.  Never had another nightmare.
« Last Edit: 17/02/2004 03:34:22 by Donnah »

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17/02/2004 04:02:47 »
No worries Neil, I spose it is possible that drug is only available here is Australia.

Sorry the astral projection thing was my meddling. I've read all sorts of things that have been suggested about it and is one of those concepts I don't exactly put my faith in but I don't rule it out of consideration all together. But some articles I've read suggested that Lucid dreaming and being able to control one dreams are forms of or steps towards astral projection.

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17/02/2004 04:11:59 »
Donnah, your dream sounds somewhat similar to one I had. I had the same character trying to catch and drag me into the wall two nights in a row. In my case before going to sleep the next night I went into a deep meditative state and coerced the dream into occurring again, this time instead of having him almost catch me I turned his own weapons against him and had him trapped. I wasn't as mean as you I didn't kill him :)
Didn't have the dream any more after that. In fact I've generally found all dreams, even those that aren't the most pleasant very enjoyable since then.

Where is this topic going? Astral projection, dream interpretation.. what next?

Tim

Offline pencilhead

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 17/02/2004 08:35:26 »
I had a friend that had trouble sleeping at nights.  He figured the best thing to do to get sleepy is to do exercises.  LIke jog in place for 20/30mins.  Hey if you're body is tired and not your mind then you may want to exercise and hear a book on tape to get both your mind and body tired.  OR maybe your not the average person and your body doesn't require alot of sleep???  Doctors sometimes misdiagnose people.   I am the opposite of you neilep.  I dose off so quick.  It's crazy! hahahaha  I talk jibberish when I am tired and forget alot of things.  But most of it because I was pretty much screwed over in the head.  So what can i do when I feel as if someone is out to get me at night?  I used to put salt in all openings wherever I thought things could go in?  I would be scared that something was trying to take me away when I was around 5/6 and also I would go to bed quickly because I didn't want to be conscious of anything.  hrm...?  FEEL FREE TO TYPE YOUR OPINIONS!!!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18/02/2004 01:50:21 »
Pencilhead, what do you mean when you say that you were screwed over in the head?

Offline pencilhead

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18/02/2004 10:35:53 »
basically told I was a loser, stupid, idiot, shhhhed, crap... etc for 20 1/2 + years of my life.  I believe it for so long like an idiot.  ekk
living in dreams isn't too nice nothing is real until you see the matrixheheh ok
but i was born into a world of no real world.  we all have our own dreams.  I try not to get tied into anything not even in myself because it's not real.  I take a step back to anaylze what is going on. u know what i mean.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18/02/2004 21:20:38 »
Psychological and verbal abuse then.  You can reprogram yourself.  Try drawing a big circle on a piece of paper.  Inside the circle write all the things about yourself and your life that you like and/or want.  Outside the circle write all the things that apply to you or your life that you don't want.  No time limit.  Then you can make (or buy) a tape/CD with subliminals reinforcing the things you wrote inside the circle.

Offline pencilhead

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20/02/2004 09:02:22 »
:D
THANKS!!! WILL DO!

Offline Tann San

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22/02/2004 11:57:45 »
Hi, when you can take control of your dreams it's called lucid dreaming.  I read a book on the subject a few years back.  Theres alot of information online about it as well.  The following is one such example : http://www.lucidity.com/ [nofollow].

Have you tried really tiring yourself out?  My work tends to throw alot of all nighters my way and sometimes the end result is that I can't sleep at the end of it all.  I beat my punchbag up for a an hour or two and that seems to drain any residual energy and minor stresses that might be keeping me awake.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23/02/2004 03:23:05 »
I haven't had the someone trying to catch me dreams for a long time.  The only recurring dream I have is that the wall is going to fall.  I only have this when I am under a lot of stress. When it happens, I lose the normal inhibition about moving around and get up in bed and hold the wall.  My wife is afraid I'm going to punch holes in the wall.  I never remember the dream afterward.  Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often.

Strangely, my sister has the same dream when she is under stress.  As far as I know we never had any traumatic experiences that would bring on something like this.

----
John

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23/02/2004 03:33:53 »
My dreams are often set in a chaotic busy situation, the situation is always bizzare hectic, like an action sequence in a film,....I very rarely have dreams where I am alone....well...none that I can remember that is !! and I have never had a dream which in my dreamstate would incite me to 'sleep act'......

Could recurring dreams be provoked by recurring events in ones waking life ?

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 26/02/2004 05:11:48 »
Edgar Cayce used to say that all dreams were self meeting self, so I guess if you have recurring problems that are unresolved in your waking life, they could show up as recurring dreams, however, the unconscious speaks in symbols, so whether or not you would recognize it is debatable.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #39 on: 26/02/2004 05:32:35 »
The issues of power naps, sleep deprivation, sleep wake cycles, shift work and insomnia are tackled in a recent radio show featuring neurobiologist Professor Russell Foster.

Here's the URL :

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/html/shows/2003.11.30.htm

He also put together a page about his work :

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/biorhythms

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27/02/2004 00:07:26 »
Thanks Chris......I've printed Profesor Russells paper and will read it with great interest...cheers.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #40 on: 27/02/2004 00:07:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums