The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I am Bored. Nobody is posting???  (Read 72001 times)

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I am Bored. Nobody is posting???
« Reply #275 on: 25/04/2009 11:00:00 »
A mower on 2 foot grass !! You need a scythe. Methinks a slight exaggeration :-)

I cut my lawn last night, which was as well because it is raining today. In any case I'm off to Ireland in about an hour. Dreaded Ryan Air from Gatwick. I saw a cartoon the other day which summed up Ryan Air. The stewardess was speaking to a passenger "Are you sure you need a seat for the whole flight, sir?". Apparently the newspaper story that they were going to start charging for using the toilet was an April Fool joke. It was perfect because most people believed it.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 25/04/2009 11:15:12 »
It scares me that the grass is 2 feet long!!!

Longer in places and brambles to boot..... Lol...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 25/04/2009 11:32:56 »
A mower on 2 foot grass !! You need a scythe. Methinks a slight exaggeration :-)

I cut my lawn last night, which was as well because it is raining today. In any case I'm off to Ireland in about an hour. Dreaded Ryan Air from Gatwick. I saw a cartoon the other day which summed up Ryan Air. The stewardess was speaking to a passenger "Are you sure you need a seat for the whole flight, sir?". Apparently the newspaper story that they were going to start charging for using the toilet was an April Fool joke. It was perfect because most people believed it.

Yeah a mower...I have a weed eater also with a bush blade... but I cannot handle it..I'd probably slit my own throat with it!!
so I was raising the front in and lowering it slowly down on the grass!

The grass is extremely long and no exaggerations... Worries me a bit!
I have two riding mowere but Rob took the deck off to remove the blades on my newer one and broke the bolts off in  the blade... has a easy out tool to ix it but won't fix it! lol

Wow sounds like a ot so nice thought with the loo situation on the plane....Lol.lol  Glad it was a joke!

Have a safe trip Graham!

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 25/04/2009 11:41:40 »
Use a scythe. It is very therapeutic. There is something very satisfying when you get the balance and rhythm just right and it slices through a 2" swathe of grass and weeds on each forward swing. Even sharpening the blade with a stone has its own pleasure when you get it right. Some old countrymen I used to know many years ago reckoned you had to have your own scythe. The angle you sharpened the blade to was unique to you and someone else sharpening it would mean it took an age to get it right again. Also the shape of the Scythe and angles of the handles had to be just right. They never liked others using their scythe.

Good exercise too, though can be back-breaking until you get the rhythm right.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 25/04/2009 11:43:00 »
Ah. posted at the same time. Ta, I will try to enjoy Ryan-Air :-)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 25/04/2009 11:58:11 »
Use a scythe. It is very therapeutic. There is something very satisfying when you get the balance and rhythm just right and it slices through a 2" swathe of grass and weeds on each forward swing. Even sharpening the blade with a stone has its own pleasure when you get it right. Some old countrymen I used to know many years ago reckoned you had to have your own scythe. The angle you sharpened the blade to was unique to you and someone else sharpening it would mean it took an age to get it right again. Also the shape of the Scythe and angles of the handles had to be just right. They never liked others using their scythe.

Good exercise too, though can be back-breaking until you get the rhythm right.

I actually have an antique  scythe in the barn... but there is no way I could swing it with my shoulder they are not good!
 That is agreat story and neat recolection about the tools and those who used them... thank you for that bit of history!

Yeah the one I have has the curved kinda ergonomic before its time handla and a mid grip lowe for a good swing grip... they are interesting old tools... this one needs some tender loving care....

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 25/04/2009 12:05:58 »
Seems like you have a proper scythe from when people knew how to make them. A rare thing nowadays. Well, I have to go now. Gatwick Airport awaits. Bye.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 25/04/2009 12:21:57 »
Seems like you have a proper scythe from when people knew how to make them. A rare thing nowadays. Well, I have to go now. Gatwick Airport awaits. Bye.

Yep he's an old one!

have a great flight and a wonderful trip.....I'm Jealous! Lol..
     Talk later.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 25/04/2009 12:44:30 »
Ireland aye? I've always wanted to go to Ireland....

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 25/04/2009 12:52:58 »
I'm bored, why is nobody posting?

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #285 on: 25/04/2009 14:25:39 »
C4M:

You have used it a few times in your posts. And others seem to know what it means. I don't but would like to, so:

What does FOG stand for?

Thanks.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 25/04/2009 14:28:40 »
Ah! I was just telling sillymilly about this a few hours ago, have a read of this and it'll all make perfect sence!  :)

Anti-FOG protection because I mean sense! HA!  ;D

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 25/04/2009 14:32:53 »
You've obviously never made a mistake in your life Mr. Karsten, all else the FOGs will be all over you in a matter of minutes. :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 26/04/2009 01:23:27 »
Ireland aye? I've always wanted to go to Ireland....

Me too.... we should go visit Hadrian! lol!

I went to bed cause I thought you went to sleep... sorry you were bored too! I was still awake for hours before nodding off.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 26/04/2009 12:29:27 »
Btw, I'm bored.

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #290 on: 26/04/2009 14:29:27 »
You've obviously never made a mistake in your life Mr. Karsten, all else the FOGs will be all over you in a matter of minutes. :)

Thank you for the link. I now know what a FOG is. I have pointed out mistakes and have surely made some but the FOGs have never been all over me, nor have I been called one. It does irk me though when I cannot read a post by a fellow US-American due to poor spelling or grammar. I have written to them privately about this. I am in favor of precision where it matters. Often it does not. In my opinion.

Sorry you are so bored. Maybe you should get yourself an old house and try fixing it up. Or a sail boat. Boredom goes away fast that way. A dog is a good one too. Or make friends with people who have mental problems and cannot sleep. That should keep you entertained.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 27/04/2009 03:50:25 »
Btw, I'm bored.

I spent the day sitting in a chair.. mowing one 10 ft. strip then stopping sitting 5 min. and mowing another  strip until I got the side yard to the back porch done. Then Sammy and I looked for poly-wogs in the pond she found tons.. and I weeded around the edge of house and flower bed. scooting along on my tush.... Now I have come in and crashed here on my bed ...turned on tv and now am relaxing...I had to rest...It felt good being outside all day!

What did you do?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 29/04/2009 19:35:35 »
Well I'm back from Ireland and a top o' the mornin' to you. Err, OK evening, except for those in the Americas of course. Actually back yesterday. It rained the whole time but it didn't matter.

I have just been to see the film "In the Loop". Excellent and extremely funny. If you saw the TV series "In the thick of it", it's along the same lines. Don't go if you are offended by swearing or object to an irreverent look at the political establishment. Actually, they are the people who should go and see it really.

Have you cut that grass yet Karen? It will be growing faster than you are cutting it.

blakestyger

« Reply #293 on: 29/04/2009 19:58:35 »
It does irk me though when I cannot read a post by a fellow US-American due to poor spelling or grammar. I have written to them privately about this. I am in favor of precision where it matters.....

...Often it does not. In my opinion.

You don't do irony do you? Neither of these is a sentence -

Often it does not. In my opinion.

[FOG]

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 30/04/2009 06:26:08 »
The man was trying to emphasise a point! :D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 30/04/2009 07:22:48 »
Well I'm back from Ireland and a top o' the mornin' to you. Err, OK evening, except for those in the Americas of course. Actually back yesterday. It rained the whole time but it didn't matter.

I have just been to see the film "In the Loop". Excellent and extremely funny. If you saw the TV series "In the thick of it", it's along the same lines. Don't go if you are offended by swearing or object to an irreverent look at the political establishment. Actually, they are the people who should go and see it really.

Have you cut that grass yet Karen? It will be growing faster than you are cutting it.

Morning to you and evening to everyone else here.
 I have never seen the series but will remember your review of the movie!

I have finnished one side yard partially measured at about Sixty-five feet X fifteen foot wide approximately. Rob came and helped with the back half and cut some river willows down next to our fence. They were reaking havock with the fence. He also? Mowed the southern side yard which is considerably bigger and then I mowed another 15 or twenty foot across the back side of the southern side yard section.
 I also got some weeding done around my Hot water shed outside of my kitchen..I sat outside with the dog and scooted along pulling weeds and brambles out of the ground!
   I want to add weed cloth t the house boarder and plant a couple fusia bushes! The big ones I loved popping as a small kid and an adult! lol..
Kinda shady on the northern side...
would like to illiminate some of my weeding chores though!

Need to see some flowers so have to plant zinias and wild flowers!
 Hope our trip was good?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 30/04/2009 13:28:26 »
Well done and a gold star, Karen. What a lot of gardening.

The film, "In The Loop" is a British movie and only just released. I'm not sure how widely it will get released in the US.

The trip was OK. My wife and I went primarily to visit her uncle who is in a nursing home. He's 96 and doesn't get many visitors now, so we took him out each day in a car I hired. He's very sharp still (no Altzheimers) and can still read without glasses!! Unfortunately he can't get about much now (very slowly with a zimmer frame or in a wheelchair) and is very deaf. We have other distant relatives and friends over there, and Ireland is a very friendly place, so we had a lot of visits and eating out etc. I put on 5lbs in 3 days!!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 01/05/2009 01:56:18 »
Well done and a gold star, Karen. What a lot of gardening.

The film, "In The Loop" is a British movie and only just released. I'm not sure how widely it will get released in the US.

The trip was OK. My wife and I went primarily to visit her uncle who is in a nursing home. He's 96 and doesn't get many visitors now, so we took him out each day in a car I hired. He's very sharp still (no Altzheimers) and can still read without glasses!! Unfortunately he can't get about much now (very slowly with a zimmer frame or in a wheelchair) and is very deaf. We have other distant relatives and friends over there, and Ireland is a very friendly place, so we had a lot of visits and eating out etc. I put on 5lbs in 3 days!!

Thanks! Still a whole lot more to go.
Yes I still have not heard of it here... I will watch for it just in case!

Well it sounds like a really good reason to visit and I am sure Your wifes Uncle had a great time out also! Graham, Is a Zimmer frame a walker...I have a walker with a seat basket and  hand brakes!
 good for Balance a a seat when my hips, Knees, or lungs give out!
   I always wanted to go...my Grandmorthers side of the family are Irish and English backgrounds.

Sounds like good company and food. I hope you made several good memories while there!

No worries that five will be gone right away if not already!

Glad the trip was safe!

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 01/05/2009 10:31:47 »
Yes, a zimmer is a walking frame. His is a simple one with wheels at the front. He is very slow in it though as he gets out of breath. He's put on a lot of weight recently, probably because he can't get about so easily but still has a good appetite. I don't know his weight but I would guess more than 210lbs and he is only about 5'7" or so.

You are probably right that my own weight will come down again, though it takes longer to that than when I put it on. Also not enough exercise I expect. But it's a nice day here today, so I will have a short walk after my lunchtime sandwich.

Ho hum, better get back to work :-(

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 01/05/2009 11:00:53 »
Yes, a zimmer is a walking frame. His is a simple one with wheels at the front. He is very slow in it though as he gets out of breath. He's put on a lot of weight recently, probably because he can't get about so easily but still has a good appetite. I don't know his weight but I would guess more than 210lbs and he is only about 5'7" or so.

You are probably right that my own weight will come down again, though it takes longer to that than when I put it on. Also not enough exercise I expect. But it's a nice day here today, so I will have a short walk after my lunchtime sandwich.

Ho hum, better get back to work :-(

I THOUGHT IT MAY BE A WALKER.. MINE IS 4 WHEELED! Sorry for caps.. my phone...arrrgh

Well I think he is doing great for his age. I wish I was doing as well for my age. .. Well I am sure inactivity for him is the culprit.. It sure made it harder for me to contunue to loose weight...Walking in the pool hs been incredible..Ican walk in there without pain  for the first time in several years...  It is amazing!

I cannot tell you how good it feels to take steps without pain.Too bad we cannot walk around in a 4 and 1/2 ft. deep pool al the time. weightlessness is grand..Or even near weightless feeling anyways!

I know it does take longer to remove the weight then it does to put it on... that stinks eh?

It was a nice day here, looks as though it wants to rain though... storms comming in...perhaps slapping us with the tail end of it!

Have a nice lunch and walk... enjoy your sandwich!

Don't get bored at work... have a nice day!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #299 on: 01/05/2009 11:00:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length