The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Music History Study?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Music History Study?
« on: 07/02/2007 14:25:59 »
Who thinks studying music history would be a good idea, even for high school students? New Romantics...

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Music History Study?
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2007 15:58:58 »
I think music is a wonderful thing to study from the history to the scores etc. It is all very interesting. Beats time signatures notes staff.. everything..LOL I could even use some brush ups as I never was very good at picking middle c by ear.. I would like to be able to pick out and be able to read along better then I do. I can do a halfway job at reading music, but I need a keyboard to pick out the middle c so I can place the tone when I start! LOL It is also good math skill in the making! Beats to a measure and the different time signatures..

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Music History Study?
« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2007 17:50:06 »
I might be a nice thing to study, but perhaps not so useful unless you're planning on a major career in music. Is there enough scope to base a degree course on it? maybe just an A-level then?

I think music history would be great as elements of music lessons in high school. I remember studying it a little, but i have a severe lack of knowledge in that department. music lessons seemed to be about leaving us alone in a room to amuse ourselves with yamaha synthesizers (one between three or four).

I'm too impatient to learn to play an instrument, although maybe I'll be better now I'm a little older. I would love to have singing lessons though.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Music History Study?
« Reply #3 on: 07/02/2007 20:02:34 »
Music is my all time favourite art of sound type harmony thing that sounds nice.

I agree with Lindsay that unless you are passionate about it and intend to pursue a career in it then it may be moot to consider something else.

What do you want to do Bren ?

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Music History Study?
« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2007 15:13:15 »
I am dreaming of a curriculum for high school students and have a passion for 60s 70s and 80s music, the 80s the most, I ove the era and art in it, that made is excellent. Like a time trip for me.Also it could help young composers.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Music History Study?
« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2007 17:22:42 »
That would be really cool!

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Music History Study?
« Reply #6 on: 11/02/2007 13:52:49 »
Tell us which is your favourite music era? 80-85? I love the 40s vocals sometimes, but the eighties vocals and electronic sounds, the move to nice and amazing in the tunes and lyrics... excellent upmost. Even as a christian, I admire and relish the music of Culture Club.

How about you?

I also like U2's take on Cole Porter.
« Last Edit: 11/02/2007 13:57:04 by Titanscape »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Music History Study?
« Reply #7 on: 11/02/2007 16:26:56 »
I Like the 80"s as well, I love the 40's a50's 60's There is alot of the roaring 20's music I love also, balads are an old favorite. I haven't really paid attention to U2's take on Cole porter, although me husband love em, and most of it seems ok, I cannot recall any particular song, but couldn't be all bad because I did not want to turn it off.
I just Last night purchased a new cd intitled, "James blunt Back To Bedlam" It is a beautiful piece and I love most all of his lyrics, not every one but for the most part.. He seems so young and sings with such emotion that I really love it. The lyrics really hit home with me.

I also Like some of the old folk songs and some old spirituals.of course I loved Elvis..beach boys old romantic tunes are my favorite songs of love..frank Sinatra, dean martin, Andy williams.. Tony Bennet, LOL, tons of the coctail hour music , lounge music etc. Classical Jazz, Piano, Bluegrass,mellow rock, tons of stuff and lots more...a little bit of everything!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Music History Study?
« Reply #8 on: 11/02/2007 16:28:43 »
I liked the culture club as well! I also liked LOL UP with People! LOL

The Naked Scientists Forum

Music History Study?
« Reply #8 on: 11/02/2007 16:28:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums