The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: research into the common cold  (Read 8131 times)

Offline DrN

• View Profile
research into the common cold
« on: 07/02/2007 17:43:27 »
I have an ulterior motive - I have a stinking cold and wondered about the state of research into finding a cure? probably none at all, but considering the number of days taken off work due to this little monster, wouldn't it be a good idea to come up with something?

I know the pesky thing keeps mutating, making it difficult to come up with a vaccine, but what about the protein coat?

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2007 19:26:02 »
If I had found a 90% effective cure
for the common cold I'd be one of
the richest people in my country!
Take care

ikod

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2007 20:04:49 »
If I had found a 90% effective cure
for the common cold I'd be one of
the richest people in my country!
Take care

ikod

hugs the IkO....is there no wonder luff in Cod Liver Oil for the common cold ?

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/02/2007 20:49:26 »
Hi friendos,
...unfortunately not, I'm afraid.
How do I know this? I know NOTHING!
I LEARNED ENGLISH FROM A BOOK...

Dear old cod liver oil is not
exactly "cold liver oil"! [xx(]

Vitamin D3 from cod liver might
work in the long run, preventing
influenza infections.
Don't know about common cold.

We could follow Carolyn and give
oregano oil a try!
Enjoy your experiments, cold will
go away in the end.

My whole interest is in ailments
that do not go away till the end.

ikod

just to remind you (YOU started first!)
here is a scratch from cod liver oil
TOPIC (>3000 viewers!!!)

quote:
...A massive vitamin D 'tsunami' is coming closer,
spinning out of the scientific literature circuit:
will flu vaccination campaigns be the first casualties?

Epidemic influenza and vitamin D.

Cannell JJ, Vieth R, Umhau JC, Holick MF, Grant WB, Madronich S, Garland CF, Giovannucci E.
Atascadero State Hospital, 10333 El Camino Real, Atascadero, CA 93422, USA.

In 1981, R. Edgar Hope-Simpson proposed that a 'seasonal stimulus' intimately associated with solar radiation explained the remarkable seasonality of epidemic influenza. Solar radiation triggers robust seasonal vitamin D production in the skin; vitamin D deficiency is common in the winter, and activated vitamin D, 1,25(OH)2D, a steroid hormone, has profound effects on human immunity. 1,25(OH)2D acts as an immune system modulator, preventing excessive expression of inflammatory cytokines and increasing the 'oxidative burst' potential of macrophages. Perhaps most importantly, it dramatically stimulates the expression of potent anti-microbial peptides, which exist in neutrophils, monocytes, natural killer cells, and in epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract where they play a major role in protecting the lung from infection. Volunteers inoculated with live attenuated influenza virus are more likely to develop fever and serological evidence of an immune response in the winter. Vitamin D deficiency predisposes children to respiratory infections. Ultraviolet radiation (either from artificial sources or from sunlight) reduces the incidence of viral respiratory infections, as does cod liver oil (which contains vitamin D). An interventional study showed that vitamin D reduces the incidence of respiratory infections in children. We conclude that vitamin D, or lack of it, may be Hope-Simpson's 'seasonal stimulus'.

Epidemiol Infect. 2006 Dec;134(6):1129-40. Epub 2006 Sep 7.

Note: ... Vitamin D deficiency predisposes children to respiratory infections .

from: Rickets Today - Children Still Need Milk and Sunshine

Nicholas Bishop,M.D.  University of Sheffield
Rickets may have severe consequences. It is strongly associated with pneumonia in young children in developing countries. In a case–control study at the Ethio-Swedish Children's Hospital in Addis Ababa,3 Muhe and colleagues demonstrated an incidence of rickets among children with pneumonia that was 13 times as high as that among control children, after adjustment for family size, birth order, crowding, and months of exclusive breast-feeding. The relative risk of death for the children with rickets as compared with the children without rickets was 1.7. Furthermore, bony deformity of the pelvis in women leads to obstructed labor and increased perinatal morbidity and mortality.
Children in developed countries need calcium, too. There is clear evidence from prospective studies of dietary supplementation that increased calcium intake during childhood results in increased calcium retention and increased bone mass.8 Young adults with a history of greater milk consumption have a higher total-body bone mass than those with lower intake after the influence of body size is taken into account.9 Calcium, vitamin D, and phosphate are essential nutrients for the growing skeleton. Wherever children live, they should follow Grandma's advice: "Drink up your milk, and go play outside."

N.Engl.J.Med. 1999 341(8): 602-604.

« Last Edit: 07/02/2007 20:59:18 by iko »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 07/02/2007 20:49:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums