The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hypospadia,nerve damage  (Read 7153 times)

Offline OzzieMom

• View Profile
Hypospadia,nerve damage
« on: 10/02/2004 14:28:11 »
Hi, I started a new thread only because the other one was more about men's bathroom [:(!] habits. I have alot of that here also.

The question I have is, my son had corrective surgery when he was 1. The opening was under the tip of his penis. The Dr. said it was one of the better ones he had seen. He did not have much foreskin so there was no need for a circumcision. He is now 10.
His penis is very very small. Most kids growing up will have sleep hard ons I guess is what you call it. I have never noticed my son having one. I ask him without trying to embarrass him and he said he had but I am not sure he understood. He has an app. with the Dr. next month. What I am afraid of is nerve damage from the surgery. What if fixing it made it worse? Am I being overly concerned.
thanks.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Re: Hypospadia,nerve damage
« Reply #1 on: 11/02/2004 00:08:07 »
Speaking as a member of the male species, I am nervous about any kind of surgery in the genital area.  There's always a risk of nerve damage from surgery, even with the best surgeons.  You didn't really say what kind of surgery he was going in for...is it a late circumcision or something else?

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline OzzieMom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2004 00:31:58 »
Hi, he already had surgery when he was 1. He had it at UAB Children's Hosp. 10 years ago I didn't have a computer to look into it further. I ask alot of questions and I was assured that his was a milder/easier case and he should not have any problems. He did not have to be circumcised because there was no foreskin. I just became concerned as he got older that part of him pretty much stayed the same.
Even at 10 he still runs around naked, I am sure that will change soon. I have not said anything to him about it because I don't want him to be self conscience. So I just told him we were going there for a check up to make sure everything was ok. He uses the bathroom fine. Has no trouble with the jet stream! Like the other thread, typical male. Can't hit the toilet.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2004 09:02:34 »
Maybe puberty will change things for him.  I'm under the impression there's not a whole lot of genital growth in a child until the hormones start flowing.  A good internist or endocrinologist should be able to tell you more.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/02/2004 15:42:20 »
I'm no expert here but I'm a mom, so I understand your concerns.  First, I think that if there was nerve damage your son would have been the first to notice.  It's good that you are going to get it checked out though.  Second, I wouldn't worry, as far as my knowledge of the subject goes, Cannabinoid is right, the growth will come with puberty.  Third, even if he did end up with a small penis, so what?  Aside from the ribbing in gym class (and there are ways to avoid that), to quote an old song "it ain't the meat it's the motion".

Offline OzzieMom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/02/2004 00:19:29 »
Thanks. I know size don't count, Your quote is very correct. I will have to remember that as he gets older. Maybe when he is alot older!

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2004 19:57:23 »
It sounds like the hypospadia was minimal, therefore, I doubt there was any nerve damage.  You know, size is somewhat inheirited too, I've found, so if his dad isn't a giant, chances are he won't be either.  And to paraphrase Donnah, what I always heard was, "It's not how long you make it, it's how you make it long."

Offline OzzieMom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/02/2004 02:50:39 »
Well his dad and him are quite different.......It was a milder case than some pic's I saw once. I can say one thing. Changing diapers was nice. I never got peed on!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 25/02/2004 09:15:10 »
Sorry this has taken me a little while to come back to.

An interesting question, but probably nothing to worry about.

We always leave children with hypospadias uncircumcised because the foreskin can be used for the repair process. Once it has been repaired the result often resembles a normal circumcised penis.

Until children do go into puberty there is very little development down there. Once puberty kicks in things change very rapidly ! Therefore, don't worry about present size.

As to nerve damage this is very unlikely. In skilled hands, hypospadias repair is not much more traumatic than a circumcision, and the nerves in the affected area do not contribute to erections anyway. Therefore, don't worry about nocturnal erections - your son is very unlikely to volunteer that information anyway.

It is natural to worry when there have been problems in the past, but on this occasion I would be reassured by the bulk of evidence which suggests that most boys have no subsequent problems.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline OzzieMom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26/02/2004 04:29:55 »
Thank you Chris. All of ya'll have put me at ease.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 26/02/2004 04:29:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums