The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is homosexuality genetic?  (Read 10189 times)

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
Re: Is homosexuality genetic?
« Reply #50 on: 11/07/2016 18:09:15 »
I find your position to be disgusting, shameful and hurtful to the community, along with some others replies here.

Oh please.

Again..... wrong forum.

This thread isn't about the morality of being gay, or how to treat gay people as individuals.... it's about the [fact] that sexual orientation has nothing to do with genetics, nor is it predetermined at birth. Anybody with a basic understanding of embryonic or neonatal brain development knows that sexual preference is adopted during childhood development or as an adult. Get a clue.

~

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 11/07/2016 18:25:43 »
It is their core identity.  They do not 'choose' that identity.

Tell that to my gay neighbor who was married to a man for 23-years, had 3 kids.... then turned gay. The examples go on and on.

That much is certain and isn't even up for debate.

...... said IAMREALITY...... lol

I find your arrogance to be filled with irony... that you actually think the intelligent audience of this forum overall will be reading my position in this thread and finding it worthy of mockery, yet reading your positions, such as gay people just 'poof!' turning gay, and looking at them with admiration.  You couldn't be more misguided.  I'll let your words, absurdities, and positions speak for themselves towards the intellectual audience.  I don't need to say a thing about them.  You'll see no further replies from me.  I don't need to wage argument in defense of something the intellectual community already knows to be obvious.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11/07/2016 18:39:52 »
Just so that I won't be accused of bias, here is another viewpoint.

https://socialinqueery.com/2013/03/18/no-one-is-born-gay-or-straight-here-are-5-reasons-why/

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 11/07/2016 19:32:41 »

https://socialinqueery.com/2013/03/18/no-one-is-born-gay-or-straight-here-are-5-reasons-why/

And just to be thorough.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/is-homosexuality-a-choice/

Thanks for the links however, none of the research is based on embryonic or postnatal development. Neuroimaging data of an adult brain does nothing to support the false notion that sexual orientation is "hard-wired" or predetermined.

~

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 11/07/2016 19:46:39 »

And just to be thorough.

Thanks for the links however, none of the research is based on embryonic or postnatal development. Neuroimaging data of an adult brain does nothing to support the false notion that sexual orientation is "hard-wired" or predetermined.

~

I never said it was based on research of any kind. Simply that the views differed from those I had previously posted.

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11/07/2016 19:59:29 »
And just to be thorough.

The other link I couldn't get over how ignorant the author was.  Her logic was so tragically flawed.

This link was good though.  There was also this part:
So your brain was influencing your sexual preference even before you were born.
This can explain why many gay people feel that they have always been gay.

And also so many studies referenced showing the evidence that it is biological in nature overall.  Just kinda surprised in the 21st century there are still those that believe it to be a choice.  But, well, then again, we have those ignoramus climate change deniers too, and people that still think the earth is only 5000 years old, so I guess maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11/07/2016 20:06:26 »
I never said it was based on research of any kind. Simply that the views differed from those I had previously posted.

I appreciate the different viewpoints however, none of those views lend any scientific credence whatsoever to the notion that sexual orientation is predetermined.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 11/07/2016 20:08:38 »
There is never a simple cause in biological or social development. No evidence can be completely ruled out as a factor. However the weight to be placed on any one factor has to be determined in light of all available evidence. The answer is likely to be somewhere in between the extremes.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 11/07/2016 20:12:20 »
so many studies referenced showing the evidence that it is biological in nature overall.

Nope.... there was zero scientific evidence provided in those links to support your opinion - and if you think there were.... present them and I'll demonstrate how the assertion is utterly false.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 11/07/2016 20:18:24 »
so many studies referenced showing the evidence that it is biological in nature overall.

Nope.... there was zero scientific evidence provided in those links to support your opinion - and if you think there were.... present them and I'll demonstrate how the assertion is utterly false.

By demonstrate I hope you don't mean prove since proving a negative will be interesting to observe.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 11/07/2016 20:24:30 »
By demonstrate I hope you don't mean prove since proving a negative will be interesting to observe.

I meant precisely what I said.

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 11/07/2016 20:38:12 »

ZZZzzzzzz....

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 11/07/2016 21:29:40 »
Hormones during development play a role in the development of later life health issues. While not the same as sexual orientation these do start in the womb.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2010-0517

It is easy to dismiss things that are not well understood.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 12/07/2016 03:52:33 »
Hormones during development play a role in the development of later life health issues. While not the same as sexual orientation these do start in the womb.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2010-0517

Yes, and fetal hypothalamic neurohormones are detectable in the HPA axis within 8 to 12-weeks of gestation - but nobody is arguing the presence of hormones, or that they have an influence on early physiological development.

As stated by Perinatol et al 2001, "the fetal HPA axis is precisely-structured for an intricate sequence of specifically fetal developmental events"

None of these events include sexual drive, courtship behavior or sexual preference. The fetal HPA axis is utterly consumed at this stage with differentiation and maturation of vital organ systems which are necessary for immediate neonatal survival following birth. This is just basic physiology.

~

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 12/07/2016 03:59:42 »
It is easy to dismiss things that are not well understood.

No it's easy to dismiss opinions that are not backed by factual evidence.

So what is it that I don't understand?

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 12/07/2016 13:02:18 »
Can the problem be reduced to?

Nature?

or

Nurture?

Take your pick!

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 12/07/2016 14:35:11 »

So what is it that I don't understand?

Reality. 

Logic. 

Reasoning. 

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 12/07/2016 14:47:19 »
Will never happen. Homosexuality is a preference.

Just like animals, humans must procreate to exist.

Homosexuals can't procreate.

There's no way science will ever identify a genetic link. It simply does not exist.
I don't know the answer to the question, but yours is not a sound one. Trivially, homosexuals can and do procreate, many of them in conventional marriages. Individuals vary in many ways, and there's no good reason to believe that all individuals should have similar proclivities.

As for procreation, a look around the natural world will reveal many species in which a proportion, or even most, of the population is infertile and physically cannot reproduce, and others where only a proportion of the fertile individuals get to reproduce. It isn't difficult to find credible evolutionary and/or social models that would favour a proportion of sexual ambiguity and/or homosexuality in a population. Homosexual behaviour is widespread in the natural world, so it isn't surprising or unnatural that it should be found in humans too.

Whether it's mainly nature or nurture, or a complex interplay of both (I suspect the latter), we're not all peas in a pod, and I'm left wondering how someone could consciously make that choice without some existing predilection for it - I certainly couldn't - and why they would want to do so, given the social stigma - and worse - associated with it in so many cultures.

I think it's also worth remembering that there does seem to be a clear difference between gender identity and sexuality - not entirely surprising, as they involve distinct brain areas.

Offline Tim the Plumber

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 12/07/2016 18:17:50 »
I don't know what the view of the scientific community is on this but for me my experience is that there is no way that there cannot be a biological basis for the difference. I say this after being chatted up on a Greek beach for 4 hours by a bloke without realising due to there being naked women close by. And all the rest of life.

That it may be a result of genetics or of a behaviour changing infection of some sort I have no idea.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 12/07/2016 21:48:45 »
Absolute homosexuality by complete disassociation sex born with would lead to the extinction of the human species.

It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve?

Alan

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 12/07/2016 23:17:21 »
don't know the answer to the question, but yours is not a sound one.

Please clarify.

Trivially, homosexuals can and do procreate

Speaking of "not sound".... no.... homosexuals most certainly cannot procreate.

~
« Last Edit: 12/07/2016 23:55:58 by exothermic »

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 12/07/2016 23:21:18 »
I'm left wondering how someone could consciously make that choice without some existing predilection for it

Who said anything about a conscious choice?

Sexual orientation is merely a preference. That doesn't mean an individual has to actually choose.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 12/07/2016 23:26:18 »
I don't know what the view of the scientific community is on this but for me my experience is that there is no way that there cannot be a biological basis for the difference.

Everything pertaining to the human body is "biological".

It's just not predetermined.... it's adopted during and/or following sexual development.

That's just basic science.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 12/07/2016 23:54:10 »
The answer is likely to be somewhere in between the extremes.

There are no extremes here. Sexual orientation is in no way genetic, nor is it predetermined.

It's just basic science which confirms that postnatal neural pathways inhibit sexual-development hormones until an individual reaches puberty - this results in a homeostatic-delay in libido, parturition & courtship behavior.... and sexual orientation.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #74 on: 12/07/2016 23:54:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length