The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are white eggs no longer readily available in UK supermarkets?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Alexander Dobre

• First timers
  • I like nature and forms of relaxation. I have survived several years of what likely were very significant psychiatric mistreatments considered causatives.
    • View Profile
I can remember not so long ago that most breakfast eggs were white and it wasn't until the eighty's in Canada where I was living that one could acquire brown eggs which were considered organic or Specially grain fed.

what has happened? Was this a result of a form of crossbreeding with genetics or what was fed to the
chickens and if so who's idea was it and what for?
I don't imagine in the 80s that UK supermarkets had brown eggs. Of course modernly middle class persons generally might select organic or make health choices.  For all I know this could be as unconventional as crossing of things even like fish and tomatoes.

what has happened to our white eggs and what else has happened relatively in plant and animal genetics?

What other things have disappeared off our supermarket stores. What other drastic changes are there in things we get from the local grocery store and when did this type of change begin modernly and where?
This question obviously takes into account changes in the way one might experience difference in taste ,growth or observation , on the products marketing including inner secrets or motives.

If anyone knows where I can get white eggs safely I am sure other persons such as myself want to know this.

« Last Edit: 11/12/2015 18:26:15 by Alexander Dobre »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Very much a matter of fashion. It's almost impossible to buy brown eggs in the USA, or white eggs in the UK, from a supermarket. On  the other hand, people who are determined to differentiate themselves by their food purchases can find brown eggs in the USA and vice versa by asking those thin, pallid people who tend to work in "health food" shops, who usually know a rogue smallholder with "minority" chickens. And I can't imagine any francophone giving a tuppeny damn about the color of the shell, as long as the albumen is fresh enough to make a decent meringue or ile flottante. All of which probably says something about Canadian nutritional sociology!

My guess is that any unfashionable eggs end up as feedstock for bakeries, but selective breeding has pretty much eliminated chance from factory farming.

The following users thanked this post: Alexander Dobre

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Alexander Dobre
Was this a result of a form of crossbreeding with genetics or what was fed to the chickens and if so who's idea was it and what for?
When I was a child, we had chickens in the back yard. They all ate the same food.
The eggs could come in a variety of shades from white to brown.
So there is nothing special or sinister or different flavor about white or brown eggs - it just depends on the breed of hen that produced them.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Chicken egg colours are genetically determined, you can get all different colours, red ones, green ones, olive ones, white, brown.

It doesn't affect the nutrition, nor does it necessarily indicate they're inbred.

It's just what variety of chickens are used to produce the eggs.

The following users thanked this post: Alexander Dobre

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums