The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the gravitational field of all objects coherent?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Re: Is the gravitational field coherent?
« Reply #25 on: 03/01/2016 02:25:12 »
Quote from: JeffreyH
The question is where would the graviton come from if it cannot escape the horizon?
In a discussion about black holes, it was mentioned that the area of a black hole's event horizon increases proportionally to the mass of the black hole.

There is a principle that information cannot be lost from the universe. It is as if a history of the three-dimensional matter entering the black hole is encoded in the two-dimensional surface of the event horizon, like a hologram. This would include the mass, charge & angular momentum of the matter inside.  Perhaps this could be the source of the (hypothetical) gravitons?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle
Discussion near the end of: http://omegataupodcast.net/2015/12/191-string-theory/

I haven't looked at the podcast yet but thinking about what you wrote about encoding on a two-dimensional surface led me to an idea that it may not be simply two dimensional but a 3 dimensional volume. This will be the volume between the lightlike orbit around the black hole and the surface of the horizon itself. I haven't looked at the ratio of this volume to the 'volume' enclosed by the horizon but the 'entropic' volume should be larger. This would indicate that entropy can be described as a geodesic through this zone of the black hole where the increase in disorder is at a maximum. A very strange idea to comprehend.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Re: Is the gravitational field of all objects coherent?
« Reply #26 on: 03/01/2016 17:49:21 »
When looking at the work done on an object following a radial geodesic the path will need to be integrated to account for a continual increase in the function. The work continually increases until either a surface is encountered or an event horizon is reached.

W = 1/2m(v_2^2 - v_1^2)

The other quantity that continually increases is entropy. The disorder of the system. In the vicinity of an event horizon the tidal forces introduce disorder into the system BEFORE the event horizon is reached. Does this indicate a volume for entropy rather than a surface? Is the holographic principle really 3 dimensional?

delta S = delta S_sys + delta S_env (entropy of system + entropy of environment)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03/01/2016 21:08:27 »
I do not believe what I am saying above has anything to do with entropic gravity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropic_gravity

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04/01/2016 23:02:55 »

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04/01/2016 23:17:46 »
Since the geodesics inside an event horizon must be coherent since they all must point towards the singularity and follow the most direct route does this imply that the gravitational field of all objects is also coherent? Meaning that propagation follows a consistent radial direction away from the centre.

I thought it was the opposite and pulled towards the center but pushed away from the center at the same time?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #29 on: 04/01/2016 23:17:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums