The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I Know How Big The Universe Is! It Is Simply The Speed Of Light.  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

I assume eventually all the material in the universe will group into larger and larger groups, eventually being only a handful of exceptionally dense and space time hungry black holes, these will then pull together over billions of years making all the matter in the universe into 1 big ball? If so at this point do you get another 'big bang' where it all kicks off again?

This is a similar view to the one I have about what some call a cyclical universe. I do suggest one variation to this theme however. I suspect that there exists a physical limit to the size that a black hole can grow to. If for example, this limit is less than the total mass energy of what we presently observe as our universe, and similar such "smaller bangs" have occurred over unimaginable great lengths of time, we would not be able to detect any difference from the so-called "Big Bang" physicists now hold as the standard model. Because these "smaller bangs" would occur over great eons of time, and at great distances of separation, our observations would not detect the difference. An homogenous equilibrium would be left in the wake of this eternal and infinite cyclical character.
« Last Edit: 18/01/2016 04:26:40 by Ethos_ »

Offline LesleySchultze

• First timers
    • View Profile
I was driving the other day and my 4 year old son threw a plastic bottle at the back of my head, I was driving at 80MPH, so his throw was 80MPH plus the speed of his arm, as all the objects in the car were moving at 80MPH, his throw was relative, (lets say 4MPH).
If he put his arm out of the car window, his forward throw would have gone behind the car.
Are we therefore also in a bubble of space time is my thought, unable to look out past the windows?
If we did leave our space time bubble, would we spin off into the universe at massive or very slow speeds?

Interesting maths about the 100 million light year travel too - this is time travel or at-least slowing down time. 

If we are in a space time bubble, could we create one that is portable, and take it with us on long journeys, like an anti space time magnet - or warp drive, bend space time to travel in the gaps between fast and slow space time fronts possibly?

Offline Space Flow

• View Profile
If we are in a space time bubble, could we create one that is portable, and take it with us on long journeys, like an anti space time magnet - or warp drive, bend space time to travel in the gaps between fast and slow space time fronts possibly?
What you appear to be describing is the " Alcubierre warp drive metric"
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110015936.pdf
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2015/04/nasa-is-it-on-the-verge-of-discovering-warp-bubbles-enabling-dreams-of-interstellar-travel.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Offline LesleySchultze

• First timers
    • View Profile
Wow you are well read.

I had a read there and it got my head working, (all the cogs turning).

If you could create a static space time event, (space time either exceptionally slow within or static) you would become a non event mass, (removes you from the space time of the rest of the universe, gives you a physical presence that is not effected by time) so time would not run at the same speed within as anything outside, this could be a capsule within a space craft allowing you to travel in real time, without the effects of aging - obviously anyone on the outside would age as normal so at the end of a long journey everyone else would be dead.
For this reason, this would not be an ideal solution.

This has been suggested in many films, so is not something new, (none the less I would not be able to make a working model of this in my shed) so that brings me to the point.

If you could create a space craft that could remove itself from the rest of space time, (warp drive seems to be the common name for it) and propel it through space using ion propulsion, atomic power or some other similar means it all seems to check out.
HOWEVER - I should think travel through the universe would be difficult, as space time would continue to flow outside of your warp bubble, you would have no way to figure out where or even when you would reappear, if at all?
As you would not be in space time, would you be able to actually do anything?
Or would you simply appear exactly when and where you started?

Second point, what if you could 'pause' space time for the whole universe by traveling instantly point to point, (worm holes, folding space and so on, I have limited faith in these concepts to be honest) so for me these are all day dreams, however the gravity from a black hole could be used as a sling shot I would guess to achieve insane speeds - if done exactly right, this for me is the money shot.

I would love to see a warp drive of some type in my lifetime, in a working craft.

Offline Space Flow

• View Profile
LesleySchultze, that is a lot of heavy duty deep thinking you engage in. 
All I can say to all of that is that theoretically, the Alcubierre warp drive traps your local spacetime within the bubble.  So time inside the warp bubble runs at the same rate as the origin. So if you initialised this bubble here and then travelled at whatever speed, you would age at the same time as Earth no matter your bubble's speed of travel. 
Anyway that is the way I understand it. 
Your thinking sounds like a lot of fun though..

The following users thanked this post: LesleySchultze

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums