The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can I come back WITHOUT cryogenics?  (Read 966 times)

Offline Jimbee

• View Profile
Can I come back WITHOUT cryogenics?
« on: 04/01/2016 08:50:09 »
I would love to see the future. And like many of you, I do fear death. Not so much what follows (I don't really believe in an afterlife), but just the fact that I won't be here anymore to see how the future turns out. I'd love to see how the future turns out. Just the technological advances that have been made in my life are incredible.

Anyway, I am not getting any younger. So for a while now, I have been thinking of cryogenics. But that might just be a fad. Probably all those frozen corpses will just end up discarded some day (forgive my candor, but it's true).

Then I heard Prof. Stephen Hawking say something interesting once. Information, he said, is never truly lost.

So who needs cryogenics! At some VERY distant future date (let's just say the year 3000 A.D., and leave it at that), they will be able to resurrect even the most decayed corpse (again, forgive my candor--but again, it's true).

Now, all I need to do is let the future know somehow that I want to be brought back. But maybe they already will know. They will be Godlike. And therefore know everything, no?

What do the rest of you think?

:) :) :)
« Last Edit: 04/01/2016 09:26:35 by chris »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: I'm Coming Back WITHOUT Cryogenics?
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/2016 09:25:50 »
We did a programme on cryogenics in 2011, which is here:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/show/2011.09.18/

We also looked at the topic again more recently, this time dwelling more on the practicalities of defying death and also achieving cryo-preservation and subsequent reanimation of a dead person:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/naked-scientists/show/20150414-2/

I hope these prove useful and interesting for you in researching your quest!

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can I come back WITHOUT cryogenics?
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/2016 09:44:21 »
Quote from: Jimbee
I would love to see the future.
I also would love to visit the future - but I can't imagine living there!

Children grow up thinking that the way they do things is normal. But older people tear out their hair when they move to a new word processor, or an updated version of an operating system.

Imagine waking up in 100 years, and feeling that kind of stress for even the simplest things you need to do every day.

The following users thanked this post: chris

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2016 18:48:27 »
You are so right, Evan. What's more scary is when you catch yourself becoming part of the latter generation to which you refer!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2016 18:48:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length