The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Should we eat sprouts all year round?  (Read 693 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Should we eat sprouts all year round?
« on: 05/01/2016 11:44:29 »
Should you New Year's resolution be to eat more Brussel sprouts? Discover the health benefits of the humble veg...

Read the article then tell us what you think...
« Last Edit: 05/01/2016 11:44:29 by _system »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Are brussel sprouts the devil's vegetable?
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2016 00:14:03 »
I love brussel sprouts; I didn't used to though. Back in my childhood I regarded them as the Devil's vegetable, much as my own children do today. I wonder why our tastes change like this? Have I merely convinced myself that they are tolerable and I should like them, or have my taste matured in some way to make them more attractive to my gustatory and olfactory system?

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Should we eat sprouts all year round?
« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2016 05:39:17 »
I love brussel sprouts; I didn't used to though. Back in my childhood I regarded them as the Devil's vegetable, much as my own children do today. I wonder why our tastes change like this? Have I merely convinced myself that they are tolerable and I should like them, or have my taste matured in some way to make them more attractive to my gustatory and olfactory system?

I have read that children are more sensitive than adults to the bitter compounds found in vegetables like brussel sprouts. It's thought to be protective since a lot of poisonous plants are also bitter.

Andrew Mossberg

None
« Reply #3 on: 17/01/2016 04:52:13 »
I love brussels sprouts (and cauliflower, but not broccoli until I was older). I think part of it is that I always liked foods on the bitter side of the spectrum. A little garlic and olive oil with steamed brussels sprouts is ideal.

The Naked Scientists Forum

None
« Reply #3 on: 17/01/2016 04:52:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length