The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could a 1:10,000 dilution of plant-juice be the colour of tea ?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Could a 1:10,000 dilution of some plant-juice, be a solution the colour of a cup of tea ?, ( no milk :).

i.e. shouldn't a 1:10,000 dilution of anything in water be almost colourless ? , ( much less colourful than a typical cup of tea ).

The hue of the colour doesn't matter, it's the saturation of the colour I'm interested in.

The idea that someone could squeeze the juice from say one-berry into a litre of water, could produce a solution as saturated as a cup of tea, seems unbelievable to me.

[ Context : I saw what was allegedly a homoeopathic product which was strongly coloured , suggesting to me it's not as advertised ].
« Last Edit: 07/01/2016 19:44:20 by RD »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Some compounds are extremely highly colored. I would bet that 1 gram of beet puree would color 10 liters of water quite strongly (1:10,000)

I wouldn't put any faith any any homeopathic products, but it is certainly possible for a dilute solution to be saturated (color-wise).

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If the plant material is dehydrated , like tea-leaves, then there is more pigment per gram than in plant-juice, but even if concentrated by dehydration, I still doubt a 1:10,000 dilution would have anything more than the merest hint of colour about it.

Apparently 2 grams of tea in a teabag. A teacup is 250cc .
So a strong cuppa tea is about 1:125 , 80 times stronger than 1:10,000

Another beverage analogy : imagine adding one teaspoon of instant-coffee to ten litres of water , ( that's about two gallons in old money ). It would be difficult to visually-detect that coffee had been added, short of using colorimetry apparatus.
« Last Edit: 08/01/2016 13:09:33 by RD »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I am sure you could easily distinguish, by eye, 2 gallons of pure water from 2 gallons of water with a 1 tsp instant coffee in it.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I am sure you could easily distinguish, by eye, 2 gallons of pure water from 2 gallons of water with a 1 tsp instant coffee in it.

What if the visual-comparison was between two samples in thumb-sized test-tubes ?
The smaller the sample the less obvious the colour difference is going to be.
The allegedly homoeopathic remedy was in a fist-sized bottle , ( and had the colour saturation of tea ).
« Last Edit: 18/01/2016 13:41:41 by RD »

Offline SorryDnoodle

• View Profile
The allegedly homoeopathic remedy was in a fist-sized bottle ,

Is there any information to what exactly the voodoo drink contains?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is there any information to what exactly the voodoo drink contains?

Allegedly the ingredients were homoeopathic-dilutions of plant-extracts.
Their website is down at the moment, but IIRC one ingredient was moringa oleifera.

[ "Homeopathic dilution" usually means it's actually just water ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilution#Analogies ]
« Last Edit: 19/01/2016 13:41:27 by RD »

Offline SorryDnoodle

• View Profile
Are they allowed to sell this as medicine without a complete index of its ingredients?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums