The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the differentiating qualities of SunRise Light compared to normal light  (Read 893 times)

Offline davidjayjordan

• First timers
    • View Profile
I'm trying to figure out why our past brethren, went to Stonehenge and other aligned stone structures at SunRise, and at Solstices for their ceremonies. Was there or is there a scientific basis for a difference in Sunlight's qualities, alignments, composition, less defraction, or whatever THEN rather than during the day time when there is scattered defracted light

IE. Is there more to the SunRise ceremonies..... than a mere belief system.

Is it possible that our crystalline pineal gland can be effected, just as crystalline stones can be effected ? Why would Sun Rise light effect us more at SunRise than at other solar times ?

Surely all these stone circles and ceremonies around the world had some basis in science and some benefit to participants or they would never have went to such trouble making them nor attending them at such an ungodly hour.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: davidjayjordan
Stonehenge and other aligned stone structures at SunRise, and at Solstices for their ceremonies
One scientific significance of aligned stones has more to do with the date than the time.

It is important for agricultural societies to know when to plant crops, and the season of the year is an important input to this (weather is another).

The year has a non-obvious length (approximately 365.24 days). There are subtle cues about when it "starts", which can only be determined accurately with some fixed alignment points. These cues are often obscured by the weather (especially in the UK). So telling the season requires daily observation and record-keeping by a dedicated team over many years.

Some of these cues are that the Sun rises due East and sets due West at the equinoxes. The Spring equinox  is a good indication that the worst of winter weather is past, and planting time is approaching. But it's too close to planting time to have people travel far from their farms.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeoastronomy_and_Stonehenge

Another indicator is that as the Sun heads south, the days get shorter, and the weather gets colder (in the southern hemisphere, the directions are reversed). When the Sun reaches its southernmost extent, that is a cause for celebration! The worst of winter weather is yet to occur, but a good celebration certainly makes people happier, especially in cold climates prone to Seasonally Affective Disorder.

It is likely that the Western New Year (January 1), plus the Christian Christmas (December 25, whose date was based on the earlier Roman Saturnalia) are actually a corrupted date for the northern winter solstice (which occurs around December 21). It is amazing to think that even the Romans did not have an accurate measure of the length of a year!

The position of the Sun in the sky is not easy to measure at midday; it is much easier to align the position of the Sun with landmarks on the horizon at dawn or dusk. And then to build your own alignment marks (like Stonehenge), as the growth of trees (or chopping them down) can affect the accuracy of natural alignments.

Quote from: davidjayjordan
at such an ungodly hour
Our extensive use of electric lights means that we often stay up late at night, long after people in traditional agricultural societies would have gone to sleep; we tend to rise when the smartphone chimes. But agricultural communities would often be woken by the imminent dawn, to welcome the warming Sun.

Some people find dawn invigorating; some suggest that peering into video screens late at night is giving our modern society a case of permanent "jet lag", with dawn an unwelcome intruder.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2016 17:26:53 by evan_au »

Offline davidjayjordan

• First timers
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input.

As for the 3rd world using the moon as an indcator of when to plant, Isaw it first hand when THERE, and it works. So that's another lead to research or follow up in my opinion..... as I also have noted from prison guards that Yes, the Moon also does effect even those imprisoned and beyond the moons rays effect, and yet the effect inside the jailhouses is definitely different on FULL MOONS. Again that might be a scientific thread on how pineal glands supposedly are effected by the MOON.

But that's the MOON and we are talking about the SUN.

So allow me to suggest that knowing when the times are going to start to get warmer on the Winter Solstice (Dec. 21st) and when colder on the Summer Solstice, (June 21st) doesnt make sense to me, as these dates are way before it gets cold or warm, months ahead of time. So, I would think there has to be a much more definitive purpose as the past people weren;t as dumb as we think now-adays- in our devoid changed cycles and rthymns.

Anyway, I found this  ******* which shows a difference in direct rays at sunrise. The Sun actually seems to have a 12 degree radius from edge to outer edge....

Offline davidjayjordan

• First timers
    • View Profile
Sorry I couldnt post the hyperlink previously as maybe it isnt allowed for newbies to write one in, as responder evan_au was able to do so.

Anyway, physics wise, allow me to ask if any knows the physics behind the Ecliptic Plane. Why because at Equinox, then the Ecliptic Plane is straight above 23.5 degrees latitude. Its a right angle, to our axis, and that point in time or our cycle might in fact be the maximum pull of all the planets in our Solar System. This possibly meaning that the Equinox timing is more than just a mere belief system and vaque almost useless ancient timing mechanism. It might mean that it was the maximum timing for 'gravitional pull, EMF pull of the planets around our Earth. Again I am getting beyond my knowledge so ask scientific minded researchers or explainers, why this might be possible.

Co-relate recent research in atom splitting, I think it is, where neutrons or sub atomic particles are interjected at right angles to the targeted atoms or nucleuses.

I might have stated this wrong, but it might be enough information, for the well informed to consider the possible link. For personnally I think there is more to equinoxes and solstices than a vague timing mechanism. I'd say it would have to be prime time or maximum timing as with Moon Planting (or maybe even Moon Rising) as standing stone mathematics also depict maximum and minimum MOON risings and settings.  Stone henge and other stone circles were not for the dumb agricultural farmers in my opinion, but for a whole lot more than a mere agricultural timing nor a great way to get everyone together for a party at the circle. It surely has to do with an actual effect on them, verifiable by science and the Sun, and Moons revolutions and corresponding fields... IMO.

I dont think they got up early to watch the Sun Rise year after year unless their was an actual effect on them. Party goers would have a Sun Down Service at Summer Solstice rather than get up at that ungodly hour in the morning.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
...allow me to ask if any knows the physics behind the Ecliptic Plane. Why because at Equinox, then the Ecliptic Plane is straight above 23.5 degrees latitude. Its a right angle, to our axis.....
The ecliptic is the plane in which the earth orbits the sun, however the earth is inclined at 23.5 deg to this plane so as it orbits the sun it appears to change its tilt. In fact the tilt doesn't change at all, you can demonstrate this by using a pencil inclined towards a wall in your room. Now orbit the pencil around yourself so the pencil keeps the same inclination to that wall. When the pencil is between you and the wall you won't see the angle of inclination. There are a lot of diagrams of this on the web.

and that point in time or our cycle might in fact be the maximum pull of all the planets in our Solar System.
This doesn't happen every year at the same time and certainly not at the equinox.
Each planet has its own period of orbit around the sun eg Mercury is about 88 days and Jupiter almost 12 years.

The amount of daylight available for hunting and gathering is very important, even today. People who can predict this can seem like very powerful wizards to anyone who doesn't understand the mechanism.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length