The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: be careful what you post in myspace.  (Read 4228 times)

Offline jshore

• First timers
    • View Profile
be careful what you post in myspace.
« on: 15/02/2007 03:11:22 »
An article says that The Wall Street Journal produced an article that highlighted the importance in regards to how posting to social networking sites could impact prospective employment opportunities. The article, entitled, “Mr. Pratt Cleaned Up His Act to Impress an employer; Killing a MySpace Profile,” highlighted the actions of a 22 year old, Mr. Pratt, who had at one time had a profile on MySpace that was somewhat boisterous, to say the least. The profile in question contained photographs of the individual drinking and also contained information about his dating activities.

This article I found points out that we should be careful on what we are saying and sharing on our myspace profiles because we do not know in time it might be used against us just like what happened to Mr. Pratt.
Read more from this article at newbielink:http://www.profilepitstop.com/articles/myspace/be-careful-what-you-post-3.php [nonactive].

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2007 04:18:45 »
Surely a job should be won by due process during a series of job interviews.

Are prospective employers going to be asking for access to diaries now ?..though granted...myspace is a public domain.

As an employer...I don't think I would feel the need to inspect an employees internet activities unless it was found to be very contentious and in direct conflict with the job in hand.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/02/2007 04:22:42 »
I agree!!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/02/2007 05:33:00 »
I think I've read about this before, maybe on MSN.

I don't care what their internet activites are.  But google is a tool I use to do research on potential employees.

As an employer, I do a good deal of research in regards to future employees.
If I were to come across a myspace page or similar where they were bragging about drugs, drinking, or partying in general, I would be concerned.....if it were recent activity.

If their skills were really impressive, I would do more research and discuss my concerns with them before I made a decision.  Mediocre skills, I'd say goodbye.

I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the States, too many people are eager to sue in the hopes of getting something for nothing, so we have to be extra cautious.  In our business, someone coming in drunk or hung over can cost thousands, or more importantly can be deadly.  I use whatever tools are available to find out what kind of person we're hiring.  It really can be a matter of life and death.

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 15/02/2007 13:28:05 »

Problem is that job interviews actually tell you very little of any value, and much of what they do tell you is 'gut feel', that is subject to filtration through one's own prejudices.

As an employer...I don't think I would feel the need to inspect an employees internet activities unless it was found to be very contentious and in direct conflict with the job in hand.

Sorry, this statement does not make sense - how could you find them contentious unless you inspect them first?

If you are saying you would not use them as a basis of decision making unless they were highly contentious, that is something else; but I cannot see how you could say that you would not even inspect them unless you first found them contentious?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/02/2007 16:36:21 »

Problem is that job interviews actually tell you very little of any value, and much of what they do tell you is 'gut feel', that is subject to filtration through one's own prejudices.

Sorry, this statement does not make sense - how could you find them contentious unless you inspect them first?

If you are saying you would not use them as a basis of decision making unless they were highly contentious, that is something else; but I cannot see how you could say that you would not even inspect them unless you first found them contentious?

YAYYYYYYYYYY !! (George is back....is he ?)

I of course chucked that in just for you George.

I would hope that a contentious activity would be brought to my attention...I would not go in search of it.

People have been getting jobs long before the internet was around and I would prefer proper formal or informal references over a dialogue on a web page filled with bravado and colourful language citing activities.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/02/2007 16:43:19 »

I disagree !!...to say that an Interview tells you very little then negates  the interview process totally.

....and even if they do tell you very little (which they do not)..then at least they tell you something !!

An interview is not just about academic specs it's about the humanity of the person too !..I would personally give a job to someone who had a nicer temperament who may be less qualified over a robot any day !!
« Last Edit: 15/02/2007 16:44:53 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/02/2007 17:03:43 »
Yes me too!! That was a difficult job , Hiring employees, I always looked hard at references, but even harder at the sincerity and the persons eagerness to learn the job and be socially friendly hardworking and asily compatable with co workers.. and self.. Which isn't hard as I like most everyone after I get to know them... LOL

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 15/02/2007 23:46:38 »
I disagree !!...to say that an Interview tells you very little then negates  the interview process totally.

....and even if they do tell you very little (which they do not)..then at least they tell you something !!

An interview is not just about academic specs it's about the humanity of the person too !..I would personally give a job to someone who had a nicer temperament who may be less qualified over a robot any day !!

They tell you how good the person is at performing in interviews, and to some extent how well that person fits in with your temperament (the latter point may be more significant).

The problem is that, like exams, some people are good at interviews, and some are not - and it tells you not very much about how good they will be at the job.

It does ofcourse depend a little on the type of job you are hiring for.  Clearly, if you are hiring for a sales position, then how good someone is at selling themselves at an interview will say a great deal about how good they will be at selling your product when you hire them; but in a more technical position, that someone may not be the best salesman in the world is not so much of an issue in how good they will be at doing the job in the wider context.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16/02/2007 01:56:11 »
The bottom line is ...the only way to tell if someone is right for you is to employ them !

On a one-three months trial.

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 16/02/2007 05:17:45 »
The bottom line is ...the only way to tell if someone is right for you is to employ them !

On a one-three months trial.

Would not disagree (although it is an expensive option).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17/02/2007 18:01:07 »
It can be, especialy if trainings are involved.. We always did well with trial basis Like Neil mentioned. I always liked to get to know each employee.. I like people!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17/02/2007 18:22:08 »
Anyone you employ is usually on a trial basis anyway..

If the person truly wants the job then they may be prepared to work just for a week...either paid or not....

At least within a week you should be able to get some semblance of an idea.

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 17/02/2007 21:15:29 »
The problem I meant about the expense is that if you have 10 candidates for a job, you can easily interview 10, you might be able to do background checks on three or four most promising, but you will only ever give one the job, even if on a trial basis.  It would not be practical, or fair on the candidates, to give 3 of them a 1 week trial, telling them that 2 will not get the job after the trial.  The trial period is there really only to asses whether you have made a ghastly mistake, it is not there as part of the process of judging which is the best of the possible candidates.

As for how long it takes to know if you have the right guy – usually, you can know within a week or so, but I have had experiences to the contrary, where people have hired me, and got totally the wrong impression in the first week.

One of the jobs I was hired for, there were a number of us hired around the same time.  One of the other guys on the same project I got quite chatty with.  I felt quite embarrassed as he was constantly hitting, or even exceeding, targets that I was not achieving, and I was sure this would not reflect well on me.  During our discussions, there were certain short cuts the guy was taking that I did not agree with, but there was no getting away from the fact that he was hitting targets, and I was not.

A few months later, when we got to integration testing the system, then the differences became more visible.  Within about a week or two into integration testing, my bosses came to me and suggested they were not going any further with testing my work, because to date they had not found a single fault with it, whereas the other guys work was going to have to be rewritten because none of it worked, and they were going to have to focus all energies on doing that rewrite.

A couple of years later, when I went back for another contract in a different department with the same company (which I got based on their earlier experience of me), I went back to visit my old boss in my old department, and he actually did tell me that in the first month or two they had worried that they had made a mistake with me, but ultimately they realise they would not have achieved the success they did without me.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 17/02/2007 21:15:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums