The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why are some single letters missing from the Periodic Table?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The TV series "Breaking Bad" made a visual joke of element abbreviations from the periodic table when spelling out text (eg Br represents Bromine and Ba represents Barium).

These are two-letter abbreviations, because the single letter "B" was already taken (Boron).

But why are there two-letter abbreviations like Al (Aluminium) and As (Arsenic), but no element represented by just "A"?
Similarly, why do we have Ti & Te, but no "T"?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Argon was A in my younger days but seems to have morphed into Ar when I wasn't looking.

It would make a good pub quiz question: what do A, E, G, J, L, M, Q, R, T, X and Z have in common?   

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Argon was A in my younger days but seems to have morphed into Ar when I wasn't looking.

It would make a good pub quiz question: what do A, E, G, J, L, M, Q, R, T, X and Z have in common?

If you include T, why not D?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
You beat me to the keyboard by a couple of hours!

D is deuterium, which of course (silly me) doesn't feature in the standard Periodic Table. But T is tritium, likewise. So now we have a really good quiz question with a clue:

AEGJLMQRXZ have one feature in common. D and T could be part of that set, or not, depending on your point of view.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Further fun facts I learned when IUPAC announced the four new elements at the start of 2016: J isn't in the periodic table but does have an element - jodium, the old name for iodine. Q isn't used to name any element, so you won't find it in the table.

Offline alysdexia

• View Profile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AArgon#Change_in_name_.28really.2C_symbol.29
https://books.google.com/books?id=j-Xu07p3cKwC&pg=PA38

Originally the symbol for argon was simply 'A', but this was changed to Ar by IUPAC in 1957 to bring it into line with the other noble gases.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums