The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: My theory on quantum mechanics  (Read 593 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
My theory on quantum mechanics
« on: 22/01/2016 00:50:03 »
Dora Woodruff asked the Naked Scientists:
   I have a new theory, and I am really 99.99999999% sure that it's right this time, and, well, I want to know if it's right (my physics teacher doesn't know). I call it the Woodruff Uncertainty Principle.
Basically, at the speed of light, you don't really know what speed everything else is moving at, since there's no time for you. So you don't know if things are moving at the speed of light, and are photons, or not. And we are moving at c relative to light, so we don't know if light should be moving like a photon or a regular particle. Sound familiar? It's the wave-particle duality!
Anyways, I might be wrong, but my logic does sound good in my head! :) If I am wrong, could someone explain why? Thanks a lot!
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 22/01/2016 00:50:03 by _system »

Offline Space Flow

• View Profile
Re: My theory on quantum mechanics
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2016 03:43:28 »
A photon or any part of an Electromagnetic wave can not be used as a reference frame for anything else in the Universe.
Electromagnetic Radiation however one wants to describe it does not have 4 coordinates like everything else in the Universe. It has no experience of the passage of time.
All reference frames have to have a time coordinate to be able to claim they are static. Light does not exist in time so can not make any claims let alone that it is static and it is the Universe that is moving at the speed of light.
Nothing other than EMR can be seen to be traveling at the speed of light.
All reference frames will see light traveling at the speed of light.
Light is not a reference frame. You are doing nothing relative to light let alone traveling at c because light has no time.

Offline sam7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2016 08:40:28 »
The speed of light is not the fastest thing we can witness. The expansion of the universe is faster.
That aside, photons don't need to 'know' anything. They don't have consciousness. What they possess is an intuition. Everything happens for a reason. That is why your idea is wrong.

PS: Why do people insist on calling theories after their own names? Science is supposed to be a noble art! I would prefer if we left the ego out of it.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2016 09:26:01 »
"Wave-particle duality" is just a pointless excuse for the fact that photons behave as they do, and we use two different mathematical models to describe their behaviour in terms of classical mechanics. Duality is in the mind of the beholder, not the nature of electromagnetic radiation.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/01/2016 13:51:29 »
...the Woodruff Uncertainty Principle.
In this forum, and particularly in New Theories, you will find people who keep to established science, those whose views are not (yet?) established science, and some who are both. You will find sorting out the best responses to your question quite difficult and you will have to avoid confirmation bias - just selecting those who agree with you - but all that is part of the learning process of becoming a scientist.
Setting out a thought experiment as you have is a useful exercise. This one might not tell you a lot about light duality, as Alan says it is just that you can use wave theory in some circumstances and particle theory in others. It doesn't mean light is a particle or a wave in different circumstances, but it has the characteristics of both. The debate as to what it is will rage on for a long time.
However, one area you might want to explore is what happens if you were able to travel at light speed. Think about what happens to your perception of the distance you are travelling as your speed approaches that of light (ignore your mass for the moment), it gives another hint as to why the speed of light appears to be a practical limit.
Above all have fun, enjoy the exploration and don't stop thinking.

Offline GoC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/01/2016 15:02:35 »
How you model time, the photon, the photon speed and distance is very important for the logic of observed behavior.

Electromagnetic Radiation however one wants to describe it does not have 4 coordinates like everything else in the Universe. It has no experience of the passage of time.
All reference frames have to have a time coordinate to be able to claim they are static. Light does not exist in time .

Actually it does have the unique distinction of being the limit of distance through space equal in all directions. If you model time as energy and the photon distance as the speed of energy then observations of relativity start to make sense. Its not that there is no time, there is no more energy than c.

The speed of light is not the fastest thing we can witness. The expansion of the universe is faster.

We cannot witness the speed of light only measure orthogonally. You cannot measure anything properly if you are part of the measurement and we are always part of the measurement.

Everything happens for a reason. That is why your idea is wrong.

Yes its called physics.

"Wave-particle duality" is just a pointless excuse for the fact that photons behave as they do, and we use two different mathematical models to describe their behaviour in terms of classical mechanics. Duality is in the mind of the beholder, not the nature of electromagnetic radiation.

Yes, this is true. Is a photon a particle with a tail that waves or is it a wave on particles that propagate through space. Dark mass energy might produce c. Energy might be the nature of energy.

...the Woodruff Uncertainty Principle.
In this forum, and particularly in New Theories, you will find people who keep to established science, those whose views are not (yet?) established science, and some who are both. You will find sorting out the best responses to your question quite difficult and you will have to avoid confirmation bias - just selecting those who agree with you - but all that is part of the learning process of becoming a scientist.
Setting out a thought experiment as you have is a useful exercise. This one might not tell you a lot about light duality, as Alan says it is just that you can use wave theory in some circumstances and particle theory in others. It doesn't mean light is a particle or a wave in different circumstances, but it has the characteristics of both. The debate as to what it is will rage on for a long time.
However, one area you might want to explore is what happens if you were able to travel at light speed. Think about what happens to your perception of the distance you are travelling as your speed approaches that of light (ignore your mass for the moment), it gives another hint as to why the speed of light appears to be a practical limit.
Above all have fun, enjoy the exploration and don't stop thinking.

Amen!

If you think of Energy being of space than the different frames just become chemical reactions relative to remaining energy of c. When inertial speed increases available c decreases and can be shown by geometry. Take half the speed of light you are using half the energy. Your measuring stick relative to half the speed of light is 1.25 relative to rest as 1.0. This is because we view objects as the two way speed of light. Take two mirrors horizontal to inertial speed. Light starts at the back and moves forward. The mirror from the back is in the position of the mirror in front when light reaches the new position of the front mirror. On the return trip the back mirror moves 1/3 forward without reflected light while the light moves back 2/3rds with reflected light. So the object in view moves 1 1/3or 1 2/6ths while the light reflected only 2 3/6ths. The physical length of motion to the front was 2 4/6ths. Twice as far as 1 2/3rds but the reflection was only 2.5 light unit reflected ratio vs. 2.6... distance. So we get a contracted view of 0.866 relative to rest. Our measuring stick becomes 2.5/2 way speed of reflected light of 1.25 in length compared to at rest being 1.0. So the speed of light is measured the same in every frame because your clock slows down to match the increased distance you measure for light. Every frame measures the same speed of light but measures a different distance for light that matches their clock tick speed due to the same increased distance in cycle time.

Physical and light clocks measure the same relative time difference per frame. So the electrons are affected by the same distance issues related to c.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 22/01/2016 15:02:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length