The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What happened to neural network computers?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline dhjdhj

• View Profile
What happened to neural network computers?
« on: 23/01/2016 08:10:07 »
Some years ago, in the early 1990s I think, I was given a demonstration of a neural network computer that was cobbled up by a university funded by Lockheed. I was informed that this was the future as this type of computer would learn rather than be programmed, I have heard of course about the new dream of quantum computers, but what happened to neural network computers?

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to neural network computers?
« Reply #1 on: 23/01/2016 17:23:03 »
Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) are doing well in competitions between researchers on topics like handwriting recognition, pattern recognition and robotics.

Commercial applications seem to be in data analysis and prediction (some links below).

For mass production devices, the ANN would first be trained, and the weights calculated during training would be "frozen" for manufacture, loaded into software for a conventional digital processor, and thus be "invisible" to the end-user.

An ANN which can learn during normal use offers the potential to dynamically adapt to changing conditions, such as a braking system which adapts to wear on the car tires, or an engine control system which can proceed despite a failed sensor or actuator.

However, continuing the training process during real use consumes more computer resources, and carries the risk that, over time, the ANN could learn some pathological behaviors that carry a safety risk. This risk is lower for data analysis where humans supervise the ongoing training and performance, or for a "hard coded" ANN which has been tested on a wide range of realistic scenarios.

For applications, see: http://cs.stanford.edu/people/eroberts/courses/soco/projects/2000-01/neural-networks/Applications/index.html
http://www.alyuda.com/products/forecaster/neural-network-applications.htm
« Last Edit: 24/01/2016 20:02:36 by evan_au »

Offline dhjdhj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/01/2016 22:00:44 »
Thanks Ewan. It doesn't seem to  have made as much progress as I would have thought. Lockheed were interested in target recognition and in the demonstration I saw the ANN was bolted on to an another  computer(I don't know which one)and was able to identify Charles de Galle by comparing photos with cartoons, very impressive.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2016 10:59:53 »
Quote from: dhjdhj
It doesn't seem to  have made as much progress as I would have thought.
Recently, a computer system using neural networks defeated the European "Go" champion, winning five games out of five.

Go is far more difficult to analyze by brute search than chess, and until very recently there were no computer systems that could challenge professional Go players.

This system uses two neural networks; one to select the moves most likely to be useful, and another to evaluate the strength of the position. These neural network tools are invoked by a more conventional computer search algorithm.   

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2016 10:59:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums