The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do humans sweat underwater?  (Read 10187 times)

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Do humans sweat underwater?
« on: 16/02/2007 14:37:35 »
If you are swimming with part of your body above the water, that part does sweat, but what about the part of you thats underwater? Obviously it would not serve the cooling purpose, but if you are hot or swimming hard, can the body tell that it is underwater, and therefore shouldn't waste energy sweating?

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2007 12:26:54 »
If you are swimming with part of your body above the water, that part does sweat, but what about the part of you thats underwater? Obviously it would not serve the cooling purpose, but if you are hot or swimming hard, can the body tell that it is underwater, and therefore shouldn't waste energy sweating?

I could be wrong on this but I don't think that skin surface temperature has very little to do with sweating as such. I think that sweating is triggered by our internal temperature which raises as a result of factors such a work rate and the over all external temperature. So you could be running hard in a freezer and still sweat or be doing nothing in a hot tub and still louse lots of body moisture all over including our feet.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2007 12:26:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums