The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Diamonds colurs and hues and sparkly luff and goodness !!  (Read 51361 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Diamonds colurs and hues and sparkly luff and goodness !!
« Reply #50 on: 14/04/2007 23:32:35 »
Pretty sure... What be the point? No point its just a thing..

Erm. OK! What if a diamond which is initially worth $10,000,000 is given to you in a special offer of $1? :P

YES PLEASE !!....as long as it's not a conflict diamond...which..if it is then I would hand it in !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14/04/2007 23:49:45 »
 I am no Fool..LOL LOL LOL but I would be a nervous girl...LOLLOL and I don't honestly know what I would do.. LOL probably die on the spot!!!! LOL 

Erm. OK! What if a diamond which is initially worth $10,000,000 is given to you in a special offer of $1? :P

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14/04/2007 23:49:49 »
Either way, I'd buy it ;D

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14/04/2007 23:50:32 »
I am no Fool..LOL LOL LOL but I would be a nervous girl...LOLLOL and I don't honestly know what I would do.. LOL probably die on the spot!!!! LOL 

LOL. I would buy it, then sell it for $9,000,000 on Ebay. :P But with a reserve of $8,000,000 ofcourse!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14/04/2007 23:52:56 »

YES PLEASE !!....as long as it's not a conflict diamond...which..if it is then I would hand it in !!

Neily What is a conflict diamond! LOL does that mean stolen or some such thing? You could if it were legal sell it and help lots of people...

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 14/04/2007 23:55:39 »
I'd keep it all to myself ;D

paul.fr

« Reply #56 on: 14/04/2007 23:56:31 »

Neily What is a conflict diamond! LOL does that mean stolen or some such thing? You could if it were legal sell it and help lots of people...

conflict diamonds are illegal to sell, i think they come from areas of africa that as the name suggests are at war with themselves or a neighbour.

conflict diamonds help pay for more weapons so the buggers can keep figghting, or line the pockets of officials. but neil may know more.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 14/04/2007 23:59:32 »
OOOH that sounds terrible.Thanks Paul. I had never heard the term before or the background of the term.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 14/04/2007 23:59:41 »
Yep...what Paul said !!...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 15/04/2007 00:00:32 »
They're also called Blood Diamonds...but the term ' conflict' is the common usage...well..here in the UK anyway !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 15/04/2007 00:04:23 »
I'd keep it all to myself ;D

I would keep the ring depending on the circumstances of such a gift.. romantic, business etc.. It would all depend. If buying it just for buying... I really don't know of coarse it would also depend on what it looked like for sure.HECK I have no need for a ten thousand dollar diamond when a 10'00 one could mean just as much if not more!

OHHH blood diamonds .. gosh neily I did not know that sort of thing really still went on..Yuckk.. War and fighting suck!

another_someone

« Reply #61 on: 15/04/2007 00:28:10 »
War is an expensive business.  If it is not diamands, then it is oil - same idea - you need to sell something to pay your soldiers to keep on killing.

another_someone

« Reply #62 on: 15/04/2007 00:31:41 »
LOL. I would buy it, then sell it for $9,000,000 on Ebay. :P But with a reserve of $8,000,000 ofcourse!

The trouble is that if you have a higher reserve it will increase the commission charged.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 15/04/2007 01:16:26 »
Hi all.. Sorry, I was busy ;D

Oh, how much would the commission charge be for $8m?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 15/04/2007 01:26:14 »
LOL.. Probably a lot.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 15/04/2007 01:27:49 »
Hmm. suppose so ;D

another_someone

« Reply #66 on: 15/04/2007 01:58:03 »
Hi all.. Sorry, I was busy ;D

Oh, how much would the commission charge be for $8m?

Actually, it took quite some time to work out the actual fees charged, but it is not that bad.

The actual charge will be 1.17% of the closing price for everything above £600 (there are higher percentages for the first £600, but in £8m, so little of the charge will be incurred within the first £600 that it does not matter).  Thus, the commission on a successful sale for £4,000,000 would be under £50,000.

The charge on the reserve price is only £2 if the item sells, but is more if the item does not sell.  If the item does not sell, then there is a charge of 2% of the reserve price, but that is capped at £100, so it makes no difference if you have a reserve price of £5,000 (which will cost £102 for a no-sale) or £5,000,000 (which will also cost £102 for a no sale).

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 15/04/2007 02:01:47 »
50,000 is quite.. a bit.. dosh of money! :o

another_someone

« Reply #68 on: 15/04/2007 02:14:51 »
50,000 is quite.. a bit.. dosh of money! :o

Yes, but that is for a successful sale for £4,000,000; so that still leaves over £3,950,000 in your pocket.

It is only if you make a no-sale that you have to concern yourself with being £105 out of pocket.
« Last Edit: 15/04/2007 02:16:40 by another_someone »

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 15/04/2007 11:40:32 »
Yes, but 50,000 is still enough to afford a new car, or a flat!

And, when you sell something expensive on ebay, do you get taxes reduced from your money?

another_someone

« Reply #70 on: 15/04/2007 13:44:44 »

You'd be hard put to find a flat anywhere in England but in a most deprived area for as little as 50,000 these days.

And, when you sell something expensive on ebay, do you get taxes reduced from your money?

It depends upon whether you are making a business out of it.

If you regularly sell on ebay, you will need to pay taxes (and, I would imagine, if you do enough of it, may have to pay VAT); but a single sale, you will not have to pay income tax or VAT.  Whether you might need to pay capital gains tax is something I am not sure of (this is rarely a matter most people concern themselves with because you are allowed to make 6,000 profit a year before making capital gains tax, and most people making more that 6,000 profit on ebay are anyway making a business out of it, so would have to pay tax on the business).

Selling some personal property (such as the house you live in) will not incur capital gains tax, no matter what the profit.  Selling something you do not use (e.g. a home you have not lived in, or even your second home) can incur capital gains tax.  If you had a diamond ring that you had used as you personal jewelery for 5 years before selling it might possibly be regarded as different than selling a diamond ring that you had just been given and never used.

I am not a tax expert, so I cannot say exactly what the situation would be in this hypothetical case, only to raise some of the possibilities that might have to be taken into consideration.
« Last Edit: 15/04/2007 13:47:05 by another_someone »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 15/04/2007 14:36:47 »

You'd be hard put to find a flat anywhere in England but in a most deprived area for as little as 50,000 these days.

It depends upon whether you are making a business out of it.

If you regularly sell on ebay, you will need to pay taxes (and, I would imagine, if you do enough of it, may have to pay VAT); but a single sale, you will not have to pay income tax or VAT.  Whether you might need to pay capital gains tax is something I am not sure of (this is rarely a matter most people concern themselves with because you are allowed to make 6,000 profit a year before making capital gains tax, and most people making more that 6,000 profit on ebay are anyway making a business out of it, so would have to pay tax on the business).

Selling some personal property (such as the house you live in) will not incur capital gains tax, no matter what the profit.  Selling something you do not use (e.g. a home you have not lived in, or even your second home) can incur capital gains tax.  If you had a diamond ring that you had used as you personal jewelery for 5 years before selling it might possibly be regarded as different than selling a diamond ring that you had just been given and never used.

I am not a tax expert, so I cannot say exactly what the situation would be in this hypothetical case, only to raise some of the possibilities that might have to be taken into consideration.

You can buy this in a central London commune for 50K

Now THAT's Quality !!!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 15/04/2007 16:53:34 »
Indeed It looks like my old green house without the walls LOL!! See seany I told you I needed to build a new greenhouse! LOL

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 15/04/2007 18:27:40 »
LOL Neil, is that really worth 50k? I guess the land is quite big.. ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 15/04/2007 18:58:47 »
LOL Neil, is that really worth 50k? I guess the land is quite big.. ;D

Just  pulling ya leg matey chum !

Me thought me was in a  coma this afternoon cos the site was like.......well quiet !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #74 on: 15/04/2007 18:58:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums