The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How should i remove stink from compost bin?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Roju

• View Profile
How should i remove stink from compost bin?
« on: 06/02/2016 17:31:27 »
Hello

I have been using a plastic beach cooler to store food scraps in my kitchen prior to composting. After much use it has started to smell even when empty. I have tried cleansing it with regular kitchen soap, but it has had little to no effect.

Does anyone have any smart ideas that might remove the smell? A Chemical explaination of the suggestion would also be appreciated, as i am a chemistry student.

All input is appreciated! :)

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How should i remove stink from compost bin?
« Reply #1 on: 06/02/2016 19:24:52 »
I would recommend wiping the surface down with bleach (sodium hypochlorite NaOCl), which is a mild oxidant, and would remove odors resulting from amines, thiols, olefins, aldehydes and other oxidizeable smelly species.

You might also try a dilute solution (0.1 M) of sodium hydroxide or saturated solution of sodium bicarbonate, which would remove carboxylic acids (butanoic, pentanoic and hexanoic acids can smell like rotting milk, vomit, or old sweaty socks...)

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2016 10:06:54 »
Will second the bleach wash, and also note that you need to rinse it out thorougly before using the sodium hydroxide, as it can react with the bleach. If you do not want to use bleach use ammonia instead, it will have a very similar effect in degrading the organic remains in the container, though regular use will eventually destroy the container.

Once clean use a bin liner to keep the scraps from touching the sides, so cleaning in future is easier. One bin liner every month or so extra will not be too much of an issue.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/02/2016 14:19:27 »
Will second the bleach wash, and also note that you need to rinse it out thorougly before using the sodium hydroxide, as it can react with the bleach. If you do not want to use bleach use ammonia instead, it will have a very similar effect in degrading the organic remains in the container, though regular use will eventually destroy the container.

NO! I think you have that backwards...

Sodium hydroxide and bleach will not react, whereas ammonia and bleach react to form some very dangerous products: chlorine gas, chloramine, hydrazine, and potentially even NCl3.

DO NOT EVER mix bleach and ammonia unless you want to die!
« Last Edit: 08/02/2016 14:56:58 by chiralSPO »

Offline Roju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2016 12:33:36 »
Thanks for the input guys, i will try it out when i have time. I will make sure to let you know how it went when i eventually do it :)

Offline JeepKeen

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2016 12:12:39 »
I would just set it right outside your door, and then hose the container out after every use.  I keep it outside, and hose it out every 8 or so uses.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2016 12:12:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums