The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would you really spaghettify in a black hole?  (Read 123 times)

lukaradulovic

• View Profile
Would you really spaghettify in a black hole?
« on: 11/12/2014 13:03:38 »
One thing that has been bugging me for a long time. Now, if the intense gravity in black holes is what distorts all of space and time, regardless of the relative reference system a person falling into a black hole represents, doesn't that mean that his very own, hm... let's call it a "relativity bubble", representing our subject's reference system, would actually stay intact, because it would twist in absolute harmony with space-time in general. Neil deGrasse Tyson pointed out that the gravitational forces just exceed the molecular forces in our body at some point, and that's what would tear our bodies apart, and we would, consequently, die. But, that doesn't sound completely logical to me. The atoms of our body are as susceptible to gravity and relativity as any other atoms in the Universe. So that means that they, and the forces among them would bend along with space and time, thus actually staying intact. I mean, imagine the counter-scenario. Our bodies staying completely still and unchanged, as the space and time around as, and in us, changes. That sounds like something which would mess us up way worse.

Also, if black holes are "interdimensional doors", maybe that's the whole point. If you wanted to transcend, you'd have to get rid of your physical body and its 4D restraints. Just a playful thought.

Cheers, guys.

Ethos_

• View Profile
Re: Would you really spaghettify in a black hole?
« Reply #1 on: 17/12/2014 19:46:08 »

I mean, imagine the counter-scenario. Our bodies staying completely still and unchanged, as the space and time around as, and in us, changes. That sounds like something which would mess us up way worse.

The hypothesis of spaghetti-fication results from how gravity would tug on alternate parts of the body falling in to the black hole. The reason being that, which ever part of the body was closer to the black hole would be tugged upon harder than the part more distant. For example, if the feet were closer, the extreme gravity would pull so much harder upon them relative to how hard it pulled upon the head that it would literally stretch the person out like a strand of spaghetti. I believe these forces are called tidal forces.

SMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines

Login
Login with username, password and session length