The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6425597 times)

Offline sparx

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #1025 on: 13/08/2008 12:38:04 »
Just thought I'd mention that I'm abandoning my trial of Vitex/Chastberry (Vitex agnus-castus extract 1000mg tabs at 1 tab per day or two per day during an episode of POIS). I've been taking it consistently for about six weeks but there does not seem to be any cumulative benefit over that time in my case, nor any immediate impact on POIS symptoms during an episode.

Offline sparx

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: 13/08/2008 13:01:38 »
Curious: did anyone here undergo a physical trauma (particularly to the head) around the time (within months) of connecting orgasm to these symptoms?

Defintiely no injury that would have been considered 'life threatening' in the formal sense of physical trauma.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: 13/08/2008 16:09:18 »
Yes, as girlwind says, I only provided about 5 minutes worth of youtube advice--she is the one who did the entire video.

Girlwind, I just watched the video--I think it is great!  Truly a job well done.

Now, the question is: how to spread the word and get people to watch the video on youtube?  Will people just come across it on their own?  Or, can we posts links to it in different places on the web?  (For example, CFS forums, or sites for other sexual/endocrine/immune ailments.)

Hey Guthrie--I do really appreciate your help with the posting process. I could not have figured that out on my own.

I have posted a link to this website on the youtube page. I think it would be a great idea to post links to the video in other places,
as you've mentioned.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: 15/08/2008 05:49:03 »
TERRIFIC WORK, GIRLWIND!!!!!
« Last Edit: 15/08/2008 05:53:56 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: 15/08/2008 05:50:15 »
Welcome, NEWCOMERS!

We are building such steam thanks to you! We're a small group.

But Powerful!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: 15/08/2008 05:52:29 »
GUTHRIE, thank you for the excellent support!!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: 15/08/2008 05:56:40 »
I just had a thought, maybe our efforts should be aimed at attracting researchers tied to universities rather than more of the public. This forum might eventually get flooded with people posting about their experiences. That might leed to difficulties in our communication and campaign planning.
For example the youtube video could link to a wikipedia page providing a discription of the illness. The wikipedia page should end with advising people to see endocrinologists and start their own campaigns in the aim of attracting researchers. The wikipedia page should also make a direct appeal to medical researchers.

Bizzy, Wikipedia and linking is a terrific idea. Can you help start it?

Offline Coreman

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: 15/08/2008 16:52:43 »
I'd like to  report on my tests:

I take on a daily basis:

-Anxiron (buspiron-hydrochloride, psychiatric drug affecting serotonin levels)
-Valerian (OTC herbal sedative, affecting GABA levels)
-Tyrosine (OTC amino product, "a starting material for neurotransmitters", see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosine [nofollow] )

I have been on the first two for the last 6 months, feeling much better but still lethargic. However, it was only this week I bumped into the third one, and these three seem to do the trick together for me!

- Placebo effect/ synergism / missing link? Dunno. We shall see.

My own experience: having taken Tyrosine, I did not feel lethargic after sex at all (!) :)) I mean, not at all, boys! It  had a slight positive impact on my libido as well.

I'll come back in 2 weeks to tell whether it was due to a placebo effect or not. I am quite optimistic. I"ll keep posted!

Good luck!

Coreman.

Offline Coreman

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: 15/08/2008 17:14:21 »

EXCELLENT WORK, GIRLWIND! 

I just watched the video.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: 15/08/2008 18:57:33 »

- Placebo effect/ synergism / missing link? Dunno. We shall see.

Terrific! And I'm glad you said placebo effect. I was fooled by testosterone shot. It "worked" beautifully the first time, then pfffttt.

Placebo effect is good, though, it shows how badly the body/mind wants to recover!

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: 15/08/2008 19:02:38 »
Thank you all, for the nice feedback.  [:X]
Please feel free to post a link to the video on other websites, or to email it to anyone that may be helpful to us.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: 15/08/2008 19:35:13 »
girlwind, I just watched the vid again, and sent the YouTube links (and your and Guthrie's praises!) to Chris and Neil at The Naked Scientists.

girlwind, I'm running out of superlatives for your work...like "fantastic" !!! I don't know how to thank you enough. We've now entered a much higher realm of professionalism and possibilities in reaching both POIS sufferers and professionals who can help!
« Last Edit: 15/08/2008 19:37:06 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: 15/08/2008 19:41:40 »

We still need an endochrinologist to start research on POIS. Not some professional to just look at the posts and make recommendations, even I can do that. This condition needs to be researched using patients and this forum can provide that resource.

You're right, Bizzy, I made the mistake of saying we need a "reviewer" when we actually need concrete research with subjects, which we can provide in abundance. I think Dr Waldinger only used two (2)!

Offline Coreman

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: 15/08/2008 19:43:21 »
Hi all,

Perhaps it was too early to report on Tyrosine, since I have been testing "Cortitrol", too (Cortison levels), and Tyrosine brought only 3 hrs' mood boost.

I'll return on the subject only if I get good results in P.O.I.S anxiety management, to avoid the risk of being airy.

Have a nice day

Coreman. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: 15/08/2008 19:46:45 »
girlwind, can we please add the tag sexual ?

I think it could increase viewers, e.g., those searching for "sexual exhaustion" or "sexual illness". Hope you agree. Thank you.
« Last Edit: 15/08/2008 20:01:46 by demografx »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: 15/08/2008 21:05:05 »
Hello demografx--The more superlatives, the better. It's almost as good as money. ;D ;D

FYI--I just added the sexual tag.

Offline Bizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: 16/08/2008 07:38:32 »
Terrific! And I'm glad you said placebo effect. I was fooled by testosterone shot. It "worked" beautifully the first time, then pfffttt.
Placebo effect is good, though, it shows how badly the body/mind wants to recover!

I think the first shot of testosterone really does work and makes you feel so much better. But I too found that it quickly stops working, within 10 days. I think this is because it initially suppresses stress hormones such as cortisol and CRF, but the stress hormone circuit recovers back.
« Last Edit: 16/08/2008 07:40:23 by Bizzy »

Offline sparx

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: 16/08/2008 11:29:53 »
hi everyone,

I've been attempting to get an idea of how prevalent anxiety problems are amoung POIS sufferers by reading back through initial posts.

Anxiety is mentioned fairly often in association with POIS but it isn't clear whether anxiety is common before and/or after a POIS episode.

So I'm hoping that people could mention whether they suffer (or have suffered) from ongoing anxiety problems while they are free from POIS symptoms.

By 'ongoing' I mean often feeling apprehensive or fearful about dealing with relatively ordinary activities or events in life. If you want to know more about types of anxiety symptoms, there are many descriptions around the net (for a short description try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety#Symptoms [nofollow] )

If you think you have a history of ongoing anxiety, then how long has it been happening? (Since childhood?, adolescence? adulthood?) Since before you first remember experiencing POIS?
How intense is/was the anxiety? E.G. were there mild or intense anxiety attacks? Or do you have ways of defusing and calming down (eg. exercising, smoking)?

If you have never experienced ongoing anxiety issues, this would be equally important to mention because that could rule out anxiety as a common problem amoung POIS sufferers.

Thanks and best wishes everyone.
« Last Edit: 16/08/2008 14:06:24 by sparx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: 16/08/2008 16:09:48 »

Hello demografx--The more superlatives, the better. It's almost as good as money. ;D ;D

FYI--I just added the sexual tag.

OK, then, girlwind: (I need to save money  ;D ) magnificent! superb! breathtaking! amazing! astonishing! fantastic! marvelous! delightful! pleasing! great! brilliant! perfect! ideal! Whew........

AND THANK YOU FOR THE SEXUAL TAG! (hmmm, did that sound right?)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: 16/08/2008 16:16:21 »
SPARX

Anxiety has been with me as far back as I can remember. Best way to describe it is that I often get _panicky_ in situations where other people simply get...concerned!

I don't really know what else to say about it, but it's interesting that you bring that up in relation to POIS. Maybe anxiety prevents us from normal recovery after orgasm?
« Last Edit: 16/08/2008 16:19:33 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: 16/08/2008 16:22:17 »

I think the first shot of testosterone really does work and makes you feel so much better. But I too found that it quickly stops working, within 10 days. I think this is because it initially suppresses stress hormones such as cortisol and CRF, but the stress hormone circuit recovers back.

Bizzy, thanks for that! Fascinating explanation of testosterone and POIS!

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: 16/08/2008 19:02:30 »

OK, then, girlwind: (I need to save money  ;D ) magnificent! superb! breathtaking! amazing! astonishing! fantastic! marvelous! delightful! pleasing! great! brilliant! perfect! ideal! Whew........

AND THANK YOU FOR THE SEXUAL TAG! (hmmm, did that sound right?)

You're funny. Without your humor and enthusiasm, things could get just a little boring around here!
« Last Edit: 16/08/2008 19:04:21 by girlwind »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: 16/08/2008 20:10:37 »
Hi Sparx, my anxiety occur when people are involved and is increased a lot in pois state. I can say it's caused by pois. I'm almost not anxious one day before a nocturnal emission, there is really a big difference between sexual abstinence and pois.
« Last Edit: 17/08/2008 03:52:37 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: 17/08/2008 05:13:30 »

You're funny. Without your humor and enthusiasm, things could get just a little boring around here!

Many thanks, girlwind, we certainly have a Mutual Admiration Society here. After 30+ years of POIS, my only alternative is to cry all day [:-'(]

Offline Coreman

• View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: 17/08/2008 11:06:51 »
Dear all,

Just imagine, I am having a wonderful day

Due to a new formula:

1. Yesterday evening emission. (Well, it was saturday night :)
2. Right after that, I reinforced myself with 200 mg Valerian (dried),  340 mg Calcium, 150 Mg Magnesium,  7,5 mg Zinc, 5 mcg D3-Vitamine, 10 mg Anxiron (a serotonine affecting drug), 2 caps of Cortitrol (3*3 caps of Cortitrol already taken in the last 3 days). Afterwards, I slept like a log. 

3. in the morning:  10 mg of Anxiron + Fish-oil caps. + Yoga in order to release the stress remained, and positive visualizations (affecting dopamine).

Good to know: no caffeine, no refined sugar,  but many vegetables and healthy fats (olive oil, fish-oil). It is a message for those who have "P.O.I.S with anxiety" variant,  caffeine has the power to induce/worsen anxiety. Kick the habit.         

Results:  no weakness, i feel quick-witted, strong. There is no bad mood, I woke up very refreshed, there is neither irritability nor lethargy, weakness, heats and colds, mental problems.
Only slight anxiety symptoms remained. (Emission causes anxiety  as well in my case in an hour). I give it 2/10 on my scale.

What makes it more convincing, I had had another "emission" the previous evening as well! (In these circumstances , P.O.I.S is usually as bad as a nightmare)     

Today is a good day. Still checking whether placebo or not.

To whom it may concern: thank for your idea about Calcium! i think it may be an important factor in my relief.

Have a nice day,

Coreman.
« Last Edit: 18/08/2008 18:22:14 by Coreman »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1049 on: 17/08/2008 11:06:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length