The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6441491 times)

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #1200 on: 09/09/2008 22:24:07 »
Yes, a lot (but not all) research on these pharmaceuticals is funded by the producers.  This certainly puts their objectivity into question.  On the other hand, they are publishing in medical journals with very high standards -- journals which are seen to have the utmost credibility in the scientific community.  What makes these journals credible?  In part, the extremely rigorous peer-review process, and the fact that the results of publications show to be reliable in the long run, show to be significant, show to have superior predictive power to the alternatives, and judgments made from these journal results often continue scientific progress. 

"The peer review process may be stifling innovation.
Could the peer-review processes in both academia and industry have destroyed rather than promoted innovation? In my own
field of psychopharmacology, could it be that peer review has ensured that in depression and schizophrenia, we are still largely
pursuing themes that were initiated in the 1950s? Could peer review explain the fact that in both diseases the efficacy of modern
drugs is no better than those compounds developed in 1950? Even in terms of side-effects, where the differences between old
and new drugs are much hyped, modern research has failed substantially. Is it really a success that 27 of every 100 patients
taking the selective 5-HT reuptake inhibitors stop treatment within six weeks compared with the 30 of every 100 who take a 1
950s tricyclic antidepressant compound? The Rothwell-Martyn bombshell is a wake-up call to the cozy establishments who run
science. If science is to have any credibility - and also if it is to be successful the peer-review process must be put on a much
sounder and properly validated basis or scrapped altogether"
Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, Vol. 22, No. 2, February 2001
David F. Horrobin, a longtime critic of anonymous peer review and heads Laxdale Ltd., which develops novel treatments for
psychiatric disorders. In 1972 he founded Medical Hypotheses, the only journal fully devoted to discussion of ideas in medicine.

Here's the article in its entirety
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/02/28/scientific-research-part-one.aspx

Also, if a pharmaceutical company omits presenting known dangers of a drug, they are likely to lose a lot of money in lawsuits.  And this has happened.  Conversely, the critics are not in nearly as much danger.  They can make vague claims against the drug and won't lose much for doing so -- particularly since most critics are not under public scrutiny.  Consequently, the pharmaceutical companies are often held to a higher degree of accountability than the critics.

Anyways, this discussion is probably more suited to a thread of its own :).  At this point I am just trying to counter-balance the argument against SSRIs; I don't think this has much relevance to POIS.  My point here is that it isn't so black and white, and it is highly credible that SSRIs are one of many logical approaches to psychological problems.  Every approach will have its critics, and we have to examine the credibility of the evidence on both sides.

Antidepressants are the top-selling therapeutic class, with $12.5 billion in retail sales.
The "critics" of the drug companies are often the people who have been damaged by pharmaceuticals or their families.
They are clearly in MORE danger, as is the uneducated consumer, who has not been informed as to some of the risks
and potential dangers of pyscho-active pharmaceuticals.

Here's an article from the American Journal of Hematology on Prozac's possible link to brain tumors.
http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/abstract/99/7/2545

And, btw, for every counter-balance there is an equal and valid counter to the counter-balance.  :)

« Last Edit: 10/09/2008 01:26:42 by girlwind »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: 10/09/2008 13:50:09 »
Stilkus,
Skim the site there are a few ideas floating around in here to think about. I myself have found relief (hopefully not just temporary) be eating raw garlic, and I am now working on healing a sleep disorder that has been created amidst the anxiety of dealing with POIS throughout my life (I am now 40).

Well I flipped again...again I think that with my symptoms intestinal Candida is an unlikely cause...am I fickle or what?! I was on the diet for a few days anyway, but this morning I fell off the wagon and had some toast, man it was good! And I feel more relaxed now.

I am thinking that sugar does indeed play a part in my insomnia but for other reasons than Candida. Although my blood sugar is good perhaps it kick starts my adrenals into working harder (just a wild guess).  I'll soon have to take all this insomnia talk into another forum but I am sharing with y'all in the meantime because it was generated in the sphere of POIS.

Hope you're all doing well, I haven't seen any more positive (or negative) reviews posted for the clove-a-day solution, keep me in the loop.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: 10/09/2008 16:15:05 »
STILKUS

Welcome to the POIS Forum! You'll find that there are many variations of POIS, but it seems that all symptoms linger for DAYS, like yours. As far as I know, Stilkus, this site is the most vibrant source worldwide for this problem and the progress has been phenomenal, in just one short year of our existence!

Stilkus, check out our-very-own girlwind's POIS vid:
« Last Edit: 10/09/2008 17:07:51 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: 10/09/2008 16:17:07 »
John21, can you please review or point me to the right post that shows the detail of the daily garlic regimen (e.g., cooked or raw? when taken? etc. ) THANKS!!

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: 10/09/2008 16:28:07 »
STILKUS, where exactly is the clicking and bone pain most severe? or is it all over?

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: 10/09/2008 19:53:46 »
Girlwind,

I'm interested in your case, because you are a woman. My working theory is that POIS is in part caused by the body's need to replenish it's supply of semen after ejaculation. And that the production or Over-production of semen causes various effects in the body which we recognize in our symptoms of tiredness, fatigue, low mood, back and joint pain, hunger, to name a few. 

But if it's true that you are actually experiencing POIS, then there would need to be another explanation too.

First of all- we must accept that we share some of our symptoms, but not all of them. (I have a list of symptoms which I outlined in my first post, if you're interested.)
It would seem that there must be another chemical imbalance that occurs which is caused by the orgasm.

There seem to be certain symptoms which you do not have, which are more prevalent in men- such as joint pain, high testosterone.

I'd be interested in knowing your full list of symptoms and comparing them to mine.

I'm interested in knowing everyone's full list of symptoms, and making a chart of them.  Perhaps that's what the questionnaire is about.  My apologies if it is-- I haven't taken it yet.

Thanks,
Animus.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2008 19:57:01 by Animus »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: 10/09/2008 21:16:30 »
Hello Animus,
My main symptoms from POIS are just about the same symptoms that I have from CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome),
and include: extreme fatigue, brain fog, lethargy, difficulty concentrating, vertigo/dizziness, aversion to cold, and
low grade infections. I often end up with a cold/flu a few days after orgasm. I also notice that my pulse beats faster
than normal for a day or two. Emotionally, I can feel very cranky/irritable and anxious from the fatigue. 

I do not have joint issues, back pain, burning fingers, or intestinal problems, like some people do.

Most of my CFS symptoms are the result of either poor sleep (common to CFS, due to the hypothalmic disorder) or
even a limited amount of over-exertion, whether that be physical or mental. My theory is that orgasmic release is
just another form of over-exertion, which depletes my endocrine system, consequently aggravates my CFS and
results in POIS symptoms. I have had some definite success with adrenal boosting supplements, which I have listed
a couple times on this forum, and with cutting sugar and grains from my diet.

I am currently awaiting the results from a panel of saliva and blood spot tests I did with the ZRT Labs (which was
recommended by someone here) to test my hormone levels. When I get them back, I will post the results. I also
have re-tested for heavy metals and trace minerals, as I've been informed that toxins (especially from heavy metals)
can interfere with endocrine functioning.  AND... last week I discovered that I have a very significant iodine defi-
ciency, which may be preventing my thyroid from working optimally,  so I just began taking a supplement for that.

Good luck in charting the symptoms. Let us know what conclusions you come to.

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: 11/09/2008 03:34:55 »

Hope you're all doing well, I haven't seen any more positive (or negative) reviews posted for the clove-a-day solution, keep me in the loop.

Hi everybody,

I have been trying the one-garlic-clove-a-day method for the past five weeks.  I've waited before posting about it, so I could have a chance to see if the effects were consistent over a number of different POIS episodes (5 so far).

Basically, there was definitely a noticeable positive effect, although not a 100% cure.  Normally my POIS lasts 24 hours, and this number stayed the same.  However, during that period, I felt much better than usual.  Improvements included:

--mentally, I felt pretty good throughout the day.  There was much less 'brain fog.'  I was able to concentrate better, and had an 'up'/positive feeling, in contrast to the painful slowness of thought and mental 'oppression' that normally accompany POIS.

--physically, I felt less of the heavy 'fatigued' feeling.  Interestingly, though, there were times when I felt sleepier than usual (drowsiness taking the place of fatigue?), but that was less pronounced.

--emotionally, I was more able to interact socially, and felt much less anxious/irritable.

Overall, I still felt somewhat 'strange', but it never reached the point of 'bad' like it normally would.  Or, put differently, I would say that while I couldn't say that I felt 'good,' I also didn't feel as 'bad' as usual.

My regiment has been to take one raw clove, crushed, every evening.  A couple of the times when I had a release, I had taken one clove earlier in the evening, and then took another right after the release.  For a couple of the other releases, I had taken one clove earlier in the evening, and then took another early the next morning.  I couldn't say whether those doubling-up times made a difference or not.

So, this all seems very good, and I'm happy to report to the group about it!

(The one downside is having to eat raw garlic every night--although I've found a trick that makes it better: I crush the garlic, put it in a spoon, and then put some water in my mouth, put the garlic in my mouth and swallow it along with the water, and wash it down with more water.  That way, it's only in my mouth for a moment.  This also seems to reduce the garlic-breath effect.)

I'm not sure what I should do next.  I'm definitely not fully cured and I would certainly like to be!  Perhaps I should try taking 2 cloves a day.  We'll see...

Anyway, I hope we all continue to see increased improvements! 

-Guthrie
« Last Edit: 11/09/2008 03:37:43 by Guthrie »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: 11/09/2008 16:21:22 »
I know nobody has been on this forum for a while, but i just discovered that i have this problem called POIS and it really affecting my daily life. I was just wondering if people have tried the products from the company called Herballove, that claims to solve the problems from POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: 11/09/2008 17:00:37 »
CC, welcome to the POIS Forum! I went to the website http://www.herballove.com/ and didn't see anything related to POIS problems. Can you point me to the right place on their website? Thank you!

ps - can you tell us more about your POIS experiences?

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: 11/09/2008 18:02:54 »
I know nobody has been on this forum for a while, but i just discovered that i have this problem called POIS and it really affecting my daily life. I was just wondering if people have tried the products from the company called Herballove, that claims to solve the problems from POIS.

Herballove was the first places I found years ago in an attempt to relieve the symptoms.  There is a section on "over-masturbation" (http://herballove.com/article.asp?Art=216) which describes many of the horrible symptoms of POIS - especially brain fog.  They recommended MoodMax and ViaGrowth III.  Only the former product helped me - my POIS was greatly diminished after taking a tablet after an orgasm, however, it ceased to work in following orgasms experienced shortly after the first.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: 11/09/2008 19:25:40 »
Concerning Herballove, I tried some of the products as well and they did nothing for me. I am skeptical that "Dr" Lin's products do what they claim.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: 11/09/2008 19:29:43 »
Demografx, I simply eat at least a clove a day... I chop it up and put it on a cracker with a spread topping to mask it a little. P.O. I tend to eat more than one/day.

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: 11/09/2008 21:49:29 »
Dear Animus,
The questionnaire can be found at http://pois.olympe-network.com
Your input would be of great value.

sparx: Right now there is no option to edit your responses.  However, there will be an opportunity in a couple months to add to what you've written, or to repost your responses with new information.

Ack.
I just spent over 2 intense hours documenting all my POIS details on the questionnaire website. I got up to make tea, and my computer rebooted itself while I was gone.  Now I have to start all over again. What a pain.

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: 11/09/2008 21:56:28 »
Concerning Herballove, I tried some of the products as well and they did nothing for me. I am skeptical that "Dr" Lin's products do what they claim.

I also tried the herbs from Herballove.  I didn't find that they benefitted me much. I also had a phone consultation with dr. Lin. It was a little difficult to get over the language barrier.
But I find the website very interesting. They don't address POIS as such. But if you look under "over-masturbation" and "over-ejaculation" there are many letters from men who experience symptoms similar to POIS.

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: 12/09/2008 00:37:35 »
Hi Girlwind,
Thanks for your response.  It's very interesting.
I think I agree with you on the point that orgasm is similar to over-exertion. That is my experience too.

Have you been tested extensively for lyme disease? My sister had lyme disease and was diagnosed as having chronic fatigue for years. She finally found out she had lyme and is getting the proper care for it now.

Good luck in your search for clues. I hope we get to the bottom of this.

By the way I am also trying a diet without sugar and without flour.

I wish we could all get together for a conference or seminar on POIS. I also think a wiki page or website on the illness would be helpful.  does anyone know any doctors willing to do some research on this? I'm going to ask around.

Thanks,
Animus.

Offline Dr. Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: 12/09/2008 02:39:30 »
Hey Guys/Gals, I'm a pharmacist of 14+ years, and I've gone to medical school for 2 years. I think that we have a good chance of beating this thing, but its going to take everyone's help.

First of all, from my research with this syndrome it is the male version of chronic fatigue disorder. The difference is that most men, are able to keep the infection at bay until they have an orgasm. The orgasm sets in motion a hormonal cascade that is detrimental to the immune system and beneficial to the infection that we all currently have.

I know a lot of you have discussed fungal infections and specifically, Candida. That may be part of it, but is most likely secondary. The candida infection is secondary to a latent L-form bacteria infection that you have that has infiltrated your immune system.

The good news is, there is a cure. The bad news is, it may take up to 5 years in some cases. The reason why most of us do not have full blown Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as discribed by Trevor MARSHALL, Biochemist, is because men in general have a much more robust immune system. While we have a latent infection, keep in mind, its still an infection, we just go on living our lives with very few symptoms.. that is.. until we are stressed out, have sex or experience some sort of physical trauma. This again, causes a cascade of events that allows the latent infection to re-emerge and start producing toxins that cause us significant fatigue, both physical, emotional, and mental. Up until now, many of you have found ways to mask the symptoms or at least bring your immune system back online to bring the fight back to the infection to force it back into latency. If that works for you, great. If not, consider starting the MARSHALL PROTOCOL and start working towards a total eradication of the L-form bacteria, which in turn will take care of the candida, which will take care of the fatigue.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Matt
« Last Edit: 12/09/2008 05:15:00 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: 12/09/2008 03:19:47 »
There is a section on "over-masturbation" (http://herballove.com/article.asp?Art=216) which describes many of the horrible symptoms of POIS - especially brain fog. 

pyropeach.......Very interesting article!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: 12/09/2008 03:25:27 »
Hey Guys/Gals, I'm a pharmacist of 14+ years, and I've gone to medical school for 2 years. I think that we have a good chance of beating this thing, but its going to take everyone's help.

First of all, from my research with this syndrome it is the male version of chronic fatigue disorder. The difference is that most men, are able to keep the infection at bay until they have an orgasm. The orgasm sets in motion a hormonal cascade that is detrimental to the immune system and beneficial to the infection that we all currently have.

I know a lot of you have discussed fungal infections and specifically, Candida. That may be part of it, but is most likely secondary. The candida infection is secondary to a latent L-form bacteria infection that you have that has infiltrated your immune system.

The good news is, there is a cure. The bad news is, it may take up to 5 years in some cases. The reason why most of us do not have full blown Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as discribed by Trevor MARSHALL, Biochemist, is because men in general have a much more robust immune system. While we have a latent infection, keep in mind, its still an infection, we just go on living our lives with very few symptoms.. that is.. until we are stressed out, have sex or experience some sort of physical trauma. This again, causes a cascade of events that allows the latent infection to re-emerge and start producing toxins that cause us significant fatigue, both physical, emotional, and mental. Up until now, many of you have found ways to mask the symptoms or at least bring your immune system back online to bring the fight back to the infection to force it back into latency. If that works for you, great. If not, consider starting the MARSHALL PROTOCOL and start working towards a total eradication of the L-form bacteria, which in turn will take care of the candida, which will take care of the fatigue.
Best Wishes,
Dr. Matt
"Dr. Matt"(is that an MD or PhD?), from my own 30+ years' studying and cure attempts with POIS, including significant success, I'm not at all convinced that infection or CFS has anything to do with POIS. Are there research studies that have been conducted to prove this? If you read through the 500+ posts from the 100+ POIS sufferers here at this Forum, several of us, after 1 and 1/2 years, and building on the pioneering published POIS work of Dr. Marcel Waldinger, MD, at Leyenburg Hospital in the Netherlands in 2002, are positively on track with immediate POIS cures. We have been looking for outside help from a research endocrinologist to go through our findings and make some recommendations for concrete studies with our data and listmember cooperation, perhaps in "live" studies. It would take a tremendous amount of convincing evidence - including the results of double-blind test/control group studies on infection - to switch to something that could take 5 years!
« Last Edit: 12/09/2008 17:09:06 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: 12/09/2008 03:43:50 »
Thank you for telling me about herballove.com i didnt want to spend fifty dollars for no result.
whoa there is an experienced person in the mix, i thought this was rarely known by doctors.
What is this five year treatment?

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: 12/09/2008 04:11:22 »
CC, welcome to the POIS Forum! I went to the website http://www.herballove.com/ and didn't see anything related to POIS problems. Can you point me to the right place on their website? Thank you!

ps - can you tell us more about your POIS experiences?

I noticed symptoms of pois when i started getting curious about why i am sometimes the most talkative in a group and other times i cant put in a word. When I noticed it was caused by ejaculation, i realized for about a week and half after ejaculation i had this symptons - extremely tired first two days, cant hold conversations, a kind of back burn that last a couple of days, lack of concentration, common sense questions become a problem for me, seriously bad memory, when it is really bad i cant even read a book without feeling that nothing is registering, and wanting to eat a lot for a couple of days.
 After the week and the half i get a very high boost of energy. During this period my memory comes back, socialization becomes all to easy, am not a good essay period, but during this period essay was not problem. I have timed may essays for these period.  This high energy last for couple of days and then i return back to normal.
However lately that cycle is not occuring.

I was wondering does weight add to this problem, because when i loose weight i tend to improve and when i gain it gets kinda worse.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: 12/09/2008 04:18:50 »
THE MARSHALL PROTOCOL IS A RISKY CHOICE. APPROACH IT WITH CAUTION.

The Marshall Protocol is VERY extreme and requires a multi-year regimen of low dose antibiotics, along with
an anti-hypertensive (Benicar), no Vitamin D, OR foods with Vitamin D... AND NO SUN EXPOSURE. People on
"the MP" are instructed to wear dark glasses and to carry umbrellas, in order to avoid even minimal sun ex-
posure. This is not just for a few weeks or months, but can be UP TO A FEW YEARS. Any side effects or health
problems that people encounter while on The MArshall Protocol are reduced by the MP-ers to what they call
"immunopathology," or a Herxheimer reaction (in other words a healing crisis). Though sometimes this can
be a valid call, the danger is when the Herxheimer reaction is used as a blanket rationalization to convince
patients that the protocol they are on could NOT POSSIBLY be the cause of any side effects they are suffering,
and that any side effects or health issues they have are ALL part of the "healing crisis."

In my research on the MP I found complaints made by people on other websites about some of the side effects
and setbacks they suffered with their health because of the protocol. I also found a woman who had been a
moderator on the MP website, who was BANNED FROM IT, just for questioning the protocol. IN her own words:
"I was banned because I expressed concern for a patient who had been vomiting three days, had elevated kidney
tests, and needed IV fluids. This patient's doctor had stated these things. When I encouraged this patient to
follow the doctor's directions, and that minocycline and Benicar both can affect kidney function, my post was
deleted.... When I protested the deletion of my cautionary message I was banned."
http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.med.diseases.lyme/2005-08/msg01797.html

That's the part of the MP that feels rather scarey. There have been complaints of a certain "cultish" quality
among the MP-ers, as they do not appreciate any skepticism or doubt about the protocol, despite the fact
that the protocol is in fact based on an UNPROVEN THEORY, and NOT a proven conclusive study. By doing the
protocol you will volunteering to be a guinea pig in that study. So it's best to approach it with much caution.

You can check out some of the risks at this website.
Risks are discussed here http://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1643   

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: 12/09/2008 05:09:57 »
girlwind, thank you very much for this MARSHALL PROTOCOL warning!
« Last Edit: 12/09/2008 05:44:02 by demografx »

Offline digitalmac

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: 12/09/2008 14:38:21 »
It is a big encouragement to find this thread. I've been following it for about a week and have read nearly every post over the past 54 pages.

I am a 20 year old male. About a year ago, I started experiencing somewhat random fatigue and extreme brain fog. Getting out of bed was becoming a struggle on certain days (even after a good nights rest). Only recently did I realize that it is not random. The symptoms always started the day after a nocturnal emission. They last 2-3 days then completely disappear by the 4th day. I've got no heath issues, and consider myself to be in reasonably healthy person.

I have experimented taking a Cortisol supplement called Isocourt. Certainly doesn't seem to have any affect during POIS, but does boost my energy after the POIS symptoms are over.

For those saying that it's a physiological issue, I say that it most certainly is not. I'm hoping that there is a relatively simple fix to this problem. Would be great to get a doctor to investigate this for us. Looking forward to becoming a part of this community and finding a cure!

Offline Dr. Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: 12/09/2008 14:39:43 »
The initial reaction from my post should be taken with extreme scepticism. I took the Marshall Protocol with the same scepticism and was too banned for suggesting using oral Vancomycin instead of metronidazole for the c. difficile that the antibiotics of the protocol caused one woman.

What I can tell you is, there is nothing wrong with most of us, the hormonal imbalances are caused by this infection, we all can successfully treat the symptoms, as I too have done, or we can get to the root of the problem and never have to take another thing.

Like I said, I only offer the truth - Morpheus

Those of you that are getting off of dairy, keep in mind that milk protien (casein) contributes heavily to neurotransmitter production. Make sure you suppliment with enough tyrosine and phenylalanine if you are no longer eating dairy products. (Tyrosine is phenylalanine with a hydroxl group on the 4th carbon of the aromatic ring).

Those of you that have had success with Garlic therapy, keep up the good work! This helps the immune system fight off the L-form bacteria. Please consider adding Vitamin C 500-1500mg three times a day (water soluable vitamin) to your treatment.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1224 on: 12/09/2008 14:39:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums