The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6441732 times)

Offline alky

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #12875 on: 19/04/2011 16:47:11 »

edit - sorry if my initial reaction came across harshly, see follow up posts.

no problem

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #12876 on: 19/04/2011 18:08:49 »
Hey guys, new to this forum.  Been a POIS sufferer for 7 years, 32 years old.  Thanks for all the info. 
My symptoms:
POIS seems to affect my muscles and nerves the most.  Right after orgasm whatever muscles I've been using at the time start to ache.  POIS lasts for about 1 week and during that time my body can't seem to repair muscle or nerve damage so I get repetitive motion injuries and can't lift weights.  Mild brain fog (though I'm loathe to admit it). 

Treatments I've tried that worked:
1) For over 1 year MgCl worked very well.  Didn't stop my reaction, but seemed to help my muscles and nerves recover faster.  Can't take it any more as it upsets my stomach and is no longer effective. 
2) Currently on Claritin after reading the Jan publications on POIS.  It's working the best of any treatment I've tried.  Still feeling fatigue, but seeing about 80% improvement in muscles and nerves.

Tests:
Was tested by an allergist doing subcutaneaous injection at (I believe) 1/100 and 1/1000 dilutions using my wife as a control.  I tested negative for the skin reaction (same as my wife), but had the same immediate muscle aches, which leads me to believe that it is an allergy. 

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #12877 on: 19/04/2011 18:11:28 »
Because of my negative reaction on the allergy test, the allergist doesn't think a subcutaneous immunotherapy makes sense.  I'm tempted to do my own home dilution and sublingual immunotherapy.  Has anyone out there attempted this? I apologize I haven't read through all the posts.

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #12878 on: 19/04/2011 18:37:16 »
Thanks B_Jim.

Looks like it's very popular in Europe, but not so much in the U.S. After reading Dr. Waldinger's (et al) paper on Hyposensitization Therapy with Autologous Semen, I found this Wikipedia article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublingual_immunotherapy [nofollow]

Not as effective as subcutaneous, but for a single known allergy it seems to work well, and might be an option for those of us who can't find an allergist willing to do a subcutaneous treatment.   

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #12879 on: 19/04/2011 19:47:35 »
Is it effective ?
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/446202_4 [nofollow]
'efficacy','possible efficacy','no efficacy'...
Thanks for the link B_Jim.  Even if it is effective, it would seem difficult to optimize the dosage and time span of treatment.  If it worked for POIS it might be years before a specific treatment plan could be recommended.
« Last Edit: 19/04/2011 19:51:46 by Willem »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #12880 on: 19/04/2011 19:51:46 »
Is it effective ?
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/446202_4
Thanks for the link B_Jim.  Even if it is effective, it would seem difficult to optimize the dosage and time span of treatment. 

welcome williem
when i did my test my semen was not diluted and i reacted, i was thinking maybe if yours is not diluted may be you will get immedieate reaction.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12881 on: 19/04/2011 20:28:14 »
Hey guys, new to this forum.  Been a POIS sufferer for 7 years, 32 years old.  Thanks for all the info. 
My symptoms:
POIS seems to affect my muscles and nerves the most.  Right after orgasm whatever muscles I've been using at the time start to ache.  POIS lasts for about 1 week and during that time my body can't seem to repair muscle or nerve damage so I get repetitive motion injuries and can't lift weights.  Mild brain fog (though I'm loathe to admit it). 

1) For over 1 year MgCl worked very well.  Didn't stop my reaction, but seemed to help my muscles and nerves recover faster.  Can't take it any more as it upsets my stomach and is no longer effective. 
2) Currently on Claritin after reading the Jan publications on POIS.  It's working the best of any treatment I've tried.  Still feeling fatigue, but seeing about 80% improvement in muscles and nerves.

Tests:
Was tested by an allergist doing subcutaneaous injection at (I believe) 1/100 and 1/1000 dilutions using my wife as a control.  I tested negative for the skin reaction (same as my wife), but had the same immediate muscle aches, which leads me to believe that it is an allergy. 

These nerve and muscle symptoms parallel mine very well. Lately, very simple things like operating a wrench on a simple plumbing coupling or lifting my nephew once or twice so he can "fly" produces a sensation of muscle damage for several days. Not just stiff, but as though there were damage to the tissues. In several days it goes away though.

Also, when I lifted weights (25 yrs ago), I had injuries in the inner elbows, where the muscle attaches to the bone, when I did some weight excersizes. These come back now with POIS and last up to 2 wks. Similar pains at other union points (muscle to bone).

« Last Edit: 19/04/2011 20:54:05 by daveman »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12882 on: 19/04/2011 21:56:18 »

Willem, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

The Learning Channel (TLC) upcoming feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". They're planning to air it on May 22, 10pm Eastern Standard time. Animus will keep us informed of any changes.

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

* Most recent POIS Research Studies, 2011 *

If you will send Prof. dr. Waldinger an e-mail, stating that you have read his message on the Forum, at http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg340138#msg340138 and that you are willing to fill in a questionnaire, he will send you the copies of both 2011 research articles by return through email. At a later date, he will send you the questionnaire which, after having filled in, you should send him back by e-mail.
His email:
prof.dr.waldinger.pois@gmail.com

Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger's website:
http://www.post-orgasmic-illness-syndrome.com/en/index.html

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

There are a couple of ways to get any or all of the above 3 studies: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF.

Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,000,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12883 on: 19/04/2011 21:58:13 »

Willem, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #12884 on: 19/04/2011 22:12:12 »
@demografx 
Thank you very much for the research synopsis and google search tips.  I purchased copies of the articles by Dr. Waldinger, but wasn't aware of the hormone research.  Thanks again.

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #12885 on: 19/04/2011 22:15:48 »
Is it effective ?
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/446202_4 [nofollow]
Thanks for the link B_Jim.  Even if it is effective, it would seem difficult to optimize the dosage and time span of treatment.  If it worked for POIS it might be years before a specific treatment plan could be recommended.

It would be boring to lose 1 or 2 years more. :)

I think more and more to do the dilution and injection myself. Saline solution and syringes are available in pharmacy. Type I diabete sufferers do their own insuline injections. 
The dilution is the difficult point. But if CCC made a test with not diluted semen, maybe there is few risk for a lot of us (if not extreme flu-like symptoms case).

I agree with you.  My worry is that semen quickly coagulates in water (don't know about saline solution), and it might be difficult to get a uniform dilution. 

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: 19/04/2011 22:20:47 »
My symptoms:

Tests:

These nerve and muscle symptoms parallel mine very well. Lately, very simple things like operating a wrench on a simple plumbing coupling or lifting my nephew once or twice so he can "fly" produces a sensation of muscle damage for several days. Not just stiff, but as though there were damage to the tissues. In several days it goes away though.

Also, when I lifted weights (25 yrs ago), I had injuries in the inner elbows, where the muscle attaches to the bone, when I did some weight excersizes. These come back now with POIS and last up to 2 wks. Similar pains at other union points (muscle to bone).

I'm very sorry to hear that daveman, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.  It's tough trying to explain to my boss that my leg muscles are sore for 2 months after wakeboarding so I can't go any more.  Looks at me like I'm some weirdo.

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: 19/04/2011 22:29:08 »
Hi all.
With all this no sperm talk with people with pois im
really worried about my future chances of having children.
Can anyone ease my fear about this?
Hey scooby, also wanted to chime in that I've had POIS for 7 years, but thankfully I've had no fertility issues.  Probably takes my wife and me an extra couple of months due to lower frequency, but that's nothing.  Have three boys ages 5, 3, and 1. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: 19/04/2011 22:39:33 »

@demografx 
Thank you very much for the research synopsis and google search tips.  I purchased copies of the articles by Dr. Waldinger, but wasn't aware of the hormone research.  Thanks again.

There are also additional studies/papers available that go into more detail regarding testosterone + progesterone (T/P), also known as 'Male Contraceptive Approaches'. If after reading Dr Dexter's case report on progesterone as a standalone remedy, and it is found interesting, anyone can PM me for those additional papers ( obtained by daveman, CCconfucius and myself). Did I leave any contributor out?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: 19/04/2011 22:42:47 »
Hi all.
With all this no sperm talk with people with pois im
really worried about my future chances of having children.
Can anyone ease my fear about this?
Hey scooby, also wanted to chime in that I've had POIS for 7 years, but thankfully I've had no fertility issues.  Probably takes my wife and me an extra couple of months due to lower frequency, but that's nothing.  Have three boys ages 5, 3, and 1. 

Worth repeating! Many thanks for affirming  Willem, that there most certainly  _IS_  "Life After POIS !!"

Offline emi_b

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: 20/04/2011 10:29:06 »
Hi, everybody.

I am a 20 years old male from Romania, who suffer from similar symptoms from when I was 17.

I have cognitive, psychological and physical symptoms, and they are very debilitating, and some of them are long lasting. I never found a true relief from then. I have newbielink:http://72.52.181.21/POIS/index.php?topic=22.msg327#msg327 [nonactive] a comprehensive history about my condition on the POIS forum.
I tried to copy that post here but there was an error.

I want to thank all of you for maintaining the POIS sufferers informed with the latest news, and to thank for spreading out info about this illness.

emi_b

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: 20/04/2011 19:07:49 »
Hi, everybody.

I am a 20 years old male from Romania, who suffer from similar symptoms from when I was 17.

I have cognitive, psychological and physical symptoms, and they are very debilitating, and some of them are long lasting. I never found a true relief from then. I have posted a comprehensive history about my condition on the POIS forum.
I tried to copy that post here but there was an error.

I want to thank all of you for maintaining the POIS sufferers informed with the latest news, and to thank for spreading out info about this illness.

emi_b

emi_b, thank you very much for your very kind words. Your presence and support here is also vital to us in our quest to find a cure!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: 20/04/2011 19:34:31 »

emi_b, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

The Learning Channel (TLC) upcoming feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". They're planning to air it on May 22, 10pm Eastern Standard time. Animus will keep us informed of any changes.

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

* Most recent POIS Research Studies, 2011 *

If you will send Prof. dr. Waldinger an e-mail, stating that you have read his message on the Forum, at http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg340138#msg340138 and that you are willing to fill in a questionnaire, he will send you the copies of both 2011 research articles by return through email. At a later date, he will send you the questionnaire which, after having filled in, you should send him back by e-mail.
His email:
prof.dr.waldinger.pois@gmail.com

Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger's website:
http://www.post-orgasmic-illness-syndrome.com/en/index.html

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

There are a couple of ways to get any or all of the above 3 studies: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF.

Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,000,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: 20/04/2011 19:36:37 »

emi_b, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: 20/04/2011 19:48:16 »
Hi again guys,

I'm trying to find the link to the page where all the sympathetic physicians/contacts are.  I found it on that new forum/website someone here had created, but I can't seem to find it now.  It's the one that has an IP address as part of the url

?

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: 20/04/2011 20:17:49 »
Nightingale,

You're looking for:

http://72.52.181.21/collaborator_list.php

Offline Kingkong

• View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: 21/04/2011 23:50:53 »
Hi, I saw my doctor today. He read partly the result of the doctor Waldinger's reseach. He found the conclusion very interesting. He thinks that the idea that it would be an allergic reaction is probably the right cause. He had my father and my mother as a patient. Both of them had an immunologic desease. I'm doing asthma, i'm allrergic to any king of smoke. I'm allergic also to some chemical that they put in clothes. He suggest to me to try 10 mg of prednisone 6 hours before intercourse. He thinks that it must be an inflamation somewhere. To have an alergy, the semen have to reach the blood. An inflamation is a door for the semen to get into the blood. Is there some of you is taking prednisone or something like that? Thank you.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: 22/04/2011 01:04:47 »
Hey folks.

Apparently there is 2nd generation antihistamines now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loratadine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetirizine

Lots of detailed information at bluelight.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=400201

There is mention at bluelight they ahve more affect on the peripheral histamine receptors and not the CNS receptors, which could be key if histamine plays a roll in POIS.

I have had a couple O's with my girl, and have been on 200mg of Zoloft daily. I also have prescribed Imitrex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatriptan) a migraine medication.

THe fatigue and mental deficiencies from POIS have been noticeably dulled the days after an O when I take and Imitrex.

Food for thought.

Offline carlitto

• View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: 22/04/2011 09:09:18 »
Because of my negative reaction on the allergy test, the allergist doesn't think a subcutaneous immunotherapy makes sense.  I'm tempted to do my own home dilution and sublingual immunotherapy.  Has anyone out there attempted this? I apologize I haven't read through all the posts.

Interesting but weird! I had a pricktest AND a subcutaneous test just a month ago. The pricktest was negative whereas the intracutaneous injections were all positive. The 1:100 dilution gave a wheal as big as the histamine control and the doctor couldn't believe his eyes but dismissed the possibility of doing hyposensitization because he doesn't know if autologous semen injections always cause allergy-like wheals in ANY person. We had so to say no POIS-free 'control person' to compare with. I saw my doctor yesterday again and she said well your blood and semen values are all normal... I will prescribe pollen-allergy pills that generally suppress the immune system. Try them if you think it is allergy what you're suffering from, won't hurt to try.

I am really counting on Vandemolen to tell us hopefully in a couple of months if he is seeing any improvement as a result of his hyposensitization.

Offline Vandemolen3

• View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: 22/04/2011 09:49:12 »
Hi, I saw my doctor today. He read partly the result of the doctor Waldinger's reseach. He found the conclusion very interesting. He thinks that the idea that it would be an allergic reaction is probably the right cause. He had my father and my mother as a patient. Both of them had an immunologic desease. I'm doing asthma, i'm allrergic to any king of smoke. I'm allergic also to some chemical that they put in clothes. He suggest to me to try 10 mg of prednisone 6 hours before intercourse. He thinks that it must be an inflamation somewhere. To have an alergy, the semen have to reach the blood. An inflamation is a door for the semen to get into the blood. Is there some of you is taking prednisone or something like that? Thank you.
Prednisone is worth trying. Dr. Waldinger tried it with a few patients but it didn't work. But you never know. Remind that Prednisone is a very heavy medicine with a lot of side effects. And you can't just stop with it. Good luck!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12899 on: 22/04/2011 09:49:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length