The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6436840 times)

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #12950 on: 25/04/2011 20:37:25 »
CC, Brain O is dry, NE is not..

Oh yeah i know the difference, BO equals dreams without any liquids but for me still equals pois,
the first time it happend i was dumbfounded, i thought i escaped a close one when i felt around and i was good but then comes my favorite symptoms.
if it is no BO am succumbing to, i am succumbing to NE, that is why i used BO/NE

This would be an intersting area to persue, because it's more clear cut than light to partial "O"s, whether they be NEs or masturbating just up to.

In this case[BOs], it would first have to be determined if there is any fluid movement, and if so at what level and to what extent.

As in Silodosin, for instance, no fulid leaves the body (in some cases), and if I understand it correctly, in some cases there's not even dribble. Yet the semen exists and is retained. I think hurray indicated that in those cases where there was not pre-C at all, he had no POIS, so a similar situation.

So your case, and I'm sure others, have symptoms even without the least of obvious fluid movement. So what's going on? Is the pituitary secreting something anyways, or some other secretion? Why does this effect you and not me for instance?

On the other forum, I'd like to create work groups to attack particular tasks such as these? It seems that some of the questions are impossible to answer...... are they? Maybe it would take a year, or two. How long does desensitization take again?

The work groups wouldn't be chats! They'd be task oriented work-groups. Do we have it in us. Even I (who would like to give it a try) am not sure. But we HAVE done a lot without much focus.

I like the idea of work groups, a good start will be what horizon is trying to achieve an home based immunoterapy system.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #12951 on: 26/04/2011 00:16:53 »
I wanted to mention this for people who have POIS and still want to have a pretty active sex life.

Now I have a girlfriend (woot!) and because of the development of my pubococcygeus  myscle from practicing my abstinence technique for so long, we can enjoy quite a bit of intimacy without me having to orgasm. Suffice it to say you can more then please a woman and by clenching your pubococcygeus  muscle as you are doing so, or if you feel like you are going to orgasm, still have a pretty good sex life =)

Lord knows I try, but after 3 wks.... hair trigger!

How can you exercise the muscle. Masturbating just up to.... and often? Or would that make it worse?

when you are sitting, just clench the muscle (its the one you clench to stop urine flow when yer peeing) clench it as many times as you want, like any other muscle, the more you exercise it the stronger it gets

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12952 on: 26/04/2011 02:17:28 »

CC, Brain O is dry, NE is not..

Oh yeah i know the difference, BO equals dreams without any liquids but for me still equals pois,
the first time it happend i was dumbfounded, i thought i escaped a close one when i felt around and i was good but then comes my favorite symptoms.
if it is no BO am succumbing to, i am succumbing to NE, that is why i used BO/NE

So I guess the trick is to avoid BO/NErs?

<ducking!>

That will require pulling some "inception - movie" type moves (impossible).
what does that ducking thing mean

When someone tells a dumb joke or an offensive joke, "ducking" means (humorously) trying to escape a retaliatory slap or worse. :)

Offline eur79m

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12953 on: 26/04/2011 02:24:37 »
Dear All,

I am a 31 year old male and potentially suffering of the same issue as you are. I am however not sure if this is the case or if I am observing several unrelated medical conditions, since I did not find some of the current symptoms I am experiencing mentioned anywhere in regards to POIS. But let's start at the beginning...

Some time during late high school / early study time I realized that I was extremely prone to throat infections following sex / masturbation. I felt the lymph nodes on the side of my neck, my groin and especially my tonsils swell right away. Often (especially after repeated sex / masturbation) my tonsils would become infected resulting in a full blown throat infection, etc. It was annoying but I could handle it with the usual anti soar throat pills, throat disinfectant and primarily not 'overdoing it'. When I was around 21 I had a tonsillectomy (removal of tonsils) which considerably helped reduce the symptoms (catching an infection). Still I could feel the swelling of my outer lymph nodes and the inner throat tissue where my tonsils once were, it was just easier to avoid a full blown infection. I felt that this was probably not 'normal' and that I was just treating symptoms while something else seemed to be wrong. I had however never heard of any such connection, had checked that I had no STDs, and Google told me that one cannot be allergic to his own semen (I did find that in rare cases girls could actually be allergic to sperm). I was thus hesitant to contact a doc, fearing being classified as a hypochondriac with rather mental problems. Especially following the tonsillectomy this wasn't really a big issue in my life and I felt I could arrange myself with it. I still had regular throat infections, which often turned into dry coughs that stayed for weeks. I always had the feeling that these coughs were actually not a respiratory problem but my body reacting to some inner stimulant released after sex. Single after-sex coughs have almost become a 'reflex' by now... This causality is however only a feeling, nothing I think I can ever prove or verify.

Looking back I would say after sex I also experienced tiredness, lethargy, a depressed like state, and a general 'fuzzyness' that made especially social interactions more difficult. Since this was however the only way I knew it, it is very difficult to say for me today if I indeed experienced these mental symptoms in a light form or if it was nothing more than the usual post-orgasmic exhaustion (what I definitely believed at the time, but am questioning today). Until last year I just had the feeling that sex somehow had negative effects on my immune system (lymph node swelling/tonsils) and respiratory system (cough stimulus). If it would would have stayed like this I would have further ignored and arranged myself with it.

In June last year I was however hit by another condition that might be completely unrelated but somehow I don't quite believe in coincidences in this case. My right testicle started hurting and I felt typical flu-like symptoms, sweating, headaches, etc. An Urologist did an ultra-sound and told me I had a small newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spermatocele [nonactive] and might have twisted something and it would get better by itself. Indeed, some waiting, doing nothing, cooling with ice eventually helped and it got better... but it never got 'well' again. There was always some residual pain in my testicle and after ejaculation it would actually get worse including severe flu-like symptoms again. Eventually the Urologist arranged a microbiological analysis of my semen and 'Gardnerella vaginalis' were found. A bacterium found in the vaginal flora of 50% of women, not classified a STD. I took several antibiotics, bacteria should be gone but no change in my condition. At that time I also started to notice a constantly 'foggy' condition like I was constantly drugged, sometimes strong headaches like I normally never have. I thought this might be antibiotic related but it turned out it was not. Pain in my right testicle was sometimes better, sometimes worse, same for my foggy condition and headaches, but never did I feel well again.

I had my testicle checked again in one of the best European Urological clinics, a spermatocele was ruled out, potentially a small newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appendix_testis [nonactive] that might have got twisted. This would have however not explained my general state of health, headaches, 'foogy feeling' etc... Reasonable assumption by the doc was 'stress related symptoms'. I did not believe this but since there was no explanation for my general constitution (beside the testicle pain) I decided my best bet would be to have have the hydatid surgically removed, in the hope of leaving both the testicle pain as well as my mental symptoms behind, since both entered my life at about the same time, even though no medical connection between both could be established. Surgery went well, some hydatid removed, biopsy of the removed tissue was normal. And believe it or not, the same day I woke up from surgery (I had no post-surgical pain killers) I felt so good like I had not felt the last half year before! Of course my scrotum was slightly hurting and judging if my testicle pain was gone would take some weeks, but general health wise I felt just great. A completely clear mind, no headaches, no fog, only then I realized that the complete last half year I did not have one moment like this. The only drug I was on was the antibiotic bactrim/cotrim. It lasted for two days... The second day I woke up, feeling great, and decided to test if everything was still working in the lower department, as I was told by the doc that theoretically I would be able to have sex right away. Everything worked just fine but you can guess what comes next... after orgasm it hit me like a bummer right away, headaches, dizziness, fogginess, all back again. This was in January, since then I did not have one day where I would say that I have felt 'normal'.

Mental symptoms were back as before, getting worse after sex but never completely subsiding. It turned out my testicle pain had changed, before there was one very sensitive/painful spot that I would locate at the epididymis, this now felt better. Still my right testicle is hurting somehow, the pain is just more difficult to localize. I have not read anything similar when browsing through the POIS forum but I decided to post here since I would describe my general condition very much like most of you do after sex. I collected some of your descriptions that fit my condition:

- lethargy/drowsy
- "i feel like sleeping"
- severe fatigue
- dizziness
- weaker immune system : easily catch a cold...
- Brain fog
- Exhaustion (physically and mentally)
- depression, foggy cognition
- tiredness
- a headache that is very specific, not like anything else you might now
- Upon waking the next day I feel shattered, bereft of any energy, and simply getting up is quite difficult. It will often take several days before I feel my energy return (fully.)
- flu-like symptoms including a sore throat, sweating, extreme fatigue and (eye irritation) after sex
- 'foggy head syndrome' (impaired cognition)

These symptoms, especially the headaches, get better after a day or two, but never to a state where I would say I feel good/normal again. Slight testicle pain is constant, also getting worse after sex. If I had to describe my general state some days after orgasm I would say I feel like 'constantly slightly drugged' (not in a good way). Just as a background, I would consider myself (otherwise) fit and healthy, no (prior) addictions, not even cigarets, moderate alcohol use, love sports, no asthma or any known allergies to anything. I have reduced my sport/fitness to basically nothing since June last year since headaches/pressure in my head just do not help and symptoms rather get worse.

I have been postponing a doc appointment now for months, simply because I don't know where to go and how to be taken seriously that the above list of symptoms are not just stress induced/psychosomatic. It can't go on like this and obviously I hope to find a remedy...

Feedback on my following questions would be very much appreciated:
- Do you believe my case is POIS related?
- Since I did not manage to read through the whole 537 previous pages, did anybody in this group ever experience similar testicle pain?
- Does anybody else experience this constant 'brain lined with wadding' feeling that does not revert to completely normal after a couple of days?
- What doc to contact? Urologist? General Practitioner? University Hospital? What should I try and what not?

Thank you for bearing with me! :-)

Very much looking forward to what you think about all the above...

Offline apostate801

• View Profile
« Reply #12954 on: 26/04/2011 03:19:14 »
Sadly that sounds like POIS to me.  I'm experiencing a good bout now.

Offline noob

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12955 on: 26/04/2011 16:17:20 »
I used to masturbate at the computer in a C-shaped position and had post orgasmic illness symptons pretty much like described here. It healed pretty fast when I changed to masturbating in a straight _ shaped position on my back on the bed, best results came without any pillow and a nicely hard mattress.

Actually this only helped because I did not ejaculate much in the bed (no fapping material).

I have now managed to fap at the computer without pois too by simply eating more.

The problem for me was being too skinny,way underweight, and not eating much. It has also been discussed here. newbielink:http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=428600 [nonactive]

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #12956 on: 26/04/2011 20:59:14 »
Welcome eur79m! Sounds like POIS to me too.  Never had the testicular pain, but the swollen lymph nodes, the mouth and throat soreness, brain fog, difficulty with social interactions all check out in my opinion. 

It seems like most of us have a time period (5 to 9 days) after O where symptoms clear up, maybe not all the way, but a dramatic difference.  Have you noticed that?  For me it's about 8 days. 

I'm 32 and have had the same exact thoughts about the doc, I've gone several times, but asked "what's the point".  Now that we have the research papers by Dr. Waldinger, it's easier to explain things to a Dr. and get a bit more R-E-S-P-E-C-T (we can share these with you if you'd like).

Anyway, sorry to hear that exercise doesn't help.  It certainly helps for me as long as I don't over do it. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12957 on: 26/04/2011 21:34:31 »

eur79m, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

The Learning Channel (TLC) upcoming feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". They're planning to air it on May 22, 10pm Eastern Standard time. Animus will keep us informed of any changes.

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

* Most recent POIS Research Studies, 2011 *

If you will send Prof. dr. Waldinger an e-mail, stating that you have read his message on the Forum, at http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg340138#msg340138 and that you are willing to fill in a questionnaire, he will send you the copies of both 2011 research articles by return through email. At a later date, he will send you the questionnaire which, after having filled in, you should send him back by e-mail.
His email:
prof.dr.waldinger.pois@gmail.com

Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger's website:
http://www.post-orgasmic-illness-syndrome.com/en/index.html

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

There are a couple of ways to get any or all of the above 3 studies: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF.

Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,000,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12958 on: 26/04/2011 21:38:53 »

eur79m, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline Nightingale

• View Profile
« Reply #12959 on: 27/04/2011 00:30:14 »
I'm wondering if anyone here has tried using Propecia (Finasteride) as a male contraceptive?  I got a prescription from my doc, but he neglected to mention that almost all insurances don't cover it.  I'd have to pay $90+ for a month's supply, so I didn't get it.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12960 on: 27/04/2011 01:00:04 »
Amazing to learn that sperm has nothing to do with my POIS!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: 27/04/2011 01:07:19 »
I had a long talk with the manufacturer of my testosterone patches.

They said that they never heard of my type of treatment killing off sperm - though it's not impossible.

They also said since I started with low testosterone, it's possible I wasn't producing sperm either.

Too bad I'll never know the effect of testosterone on my sperm production.

For younger folks, it does seem like - for whatever reason - sperm production can be re-started (I'm not in the market any more for kids. :)

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #12962 on: 27/04/2011 03:17:48 »
B_Jim, I noticed in your summary of all POIS cases that after number 247 you switch back to the 100's and begin at 148 and continue until ending at 155. This is a typo, right?
« Last Edit: 27/04/2011 03:35:25 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: 27/04/2011 03:56:29 »
Demo, did that sweet potato have any effect?

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: 27/04/2011 12:20:54 »
Amazing to learn that sperm has nothing to do with my POIS!

WHAT?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: 27/04/2011 16:49:17 »
Yes, I have no sperm.

Yes, I do have POIS.

:)

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: 27/04/2011 18:56:08 »
Yes, I have no sperm.

Yes, I do have POIS.

You have no sperm and your POIS is 20% of what it was before starting testosterone.
What else do you know to be so sure that sperm has nothing to do with you POIS?

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: 27/04/2011 22:44:44 »
Yes, I have no sperm.

Yes, I do have POIS.

You have no sperm and your POIS is 20% of what it was before starting testosterone.

That's a good point...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: 27/04/2011 22:46:58 »

Yes, I have no sperm.

Yes, I do have POIS.

Demo, even though your doctor said you have no sperm, try and see if you can get an actual count(number).  No sperm may just mean you barely have any sperm compared to a regular male.

OK, Laurac, you asked for it! :) Directly from The Lab:

Sperm Concentration         0.00000  mill/mL
         Total Sperm                    million
Total motile sperm             0.0000   million
Total progressive                       million

Ejaculate volume                 4.80    mL

I have more data if you want (seminal pH, sperm motility, etc.)

yeah, demo your doctor was not joking when he said you don't have any sperm.  I hope the symptoms of increase libido and sleepiness are not from the P/T combo, or if they are that they go away.  I am not sure if those numbers are really accurate down to 10 sperm/ml, but that's how accurate the test say it is.  How much relief do you think you are getting from the T alone if you were not taking the adderall with it.

I do not remember if I asked you this before but do you take Lipitor or any Statins for high cholesterol/LDL.

Also, you will not have to worry about impregnating any of Charlies goddesses with a sperm count like that. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: 27/04/2011 22:51:35 »
Dave, I'm  not being sarcastic, but what other evidence do I really need now to conclude that  "Sperm has nothing to do with my POIS"?

Semen, of course, is still a possibility for me (though I'm skeptical of that).

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: 27/04/2011 23:27:42 »
I'll have important test results very soon on the specific IgE antibodies to seminal plasma proteins, which is seen in women with seminal plasma hypersensitivity.

For the last 2.5 months I've worked with Dr. Bernstein and the University of Cincinnati Allergy Laboratory.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: 28/04/2011 00:02:48 »
Teriffic news, Limejuice!!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: 28/04/2011 00:31:23 »
Dave, I'm  not being sarcastic, but what other evidence do I really need now to conclude that  "Sperm has nothing to do with my POIS"?

Semen, of course, is still a possibility for me (though I'm skeptical of that).

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart a.s either, although it may sound like it, please don't take it as a lack of respect!

Unfortunately you don't have a sperm count from before you started your "T". You say your "T" saved your life! So it has been critical in your betterment.

MAYBE you didn't have sperm before you started the "T", but since you've got two kids, you had sperm at one point, and you've had POIS for 30 yrs!

MAYBE the TRT stopped your sperm and is the principal reason your POIS dimished.

Yes, you still have POIS, and no sperm, but considering the other evidence we still can't rule out sperm as having NO effect over your POIS.

There's a high possibility (in my opinion) that Lauracostis is right, in which case it could be much more sure that sperm has no influence over your POIS.

But as I see it right now, I don't think you can rule out sperm as having some influence. And of course we are talking about your case, in any case.

I think this is an important point, because it has an influence over what others are going to do here. Everything we do here has an influence over what others are going to do.

Every seemingly failed test leads everyone to think that the tested option is OUT, because we jump to conclusions on limited data or a limited number of test cases.

So there, I said it. Basically we can't say one way or the other. I guess we can only say that testosterone helped you, which is probably what matters most. We just need to know why!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: 28/04/2011 00:33:54 »
I'll have important test results very soon on the specific IgE antibodies to seminal plasma proteins, which is seen in women with seminal plasma hypersensitivity.

For the last 2.5 months I've worked with Dr. Bernstein and the University of Cincinnati Allergy Laboratory.

Does seminal plasma protiens mean "no sperm"? That would be a very cool test!

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: 28/04/2011 01:22:00 »
Yes, seminal plasma is semen. Sent from Blackberry.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12974 on: 28/04/2011 01:22:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length