The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6444422 times)

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #13000 on: 28/04/2011 21:25:28 »
Unfortunately I already did and am fighting the insurance companies for reimbursement although it will be doubtful.

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13001 on: 28/04/2011 21:33:17 »
so bernstein wasnt keen on doing the skinprick test?
presumably he'll be willing to try the one-day desenzitization treatment if an allergy is found?
« Last Edit: 28/04/2011 21:40:41 by horizon »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #13002 on: 28/04/2011 22:34:23 »
He wasn't keen at all.  He said anyone can be hypersensative to their own semen/sperm as it's a foreign substance with 23 chromosomes and that's why it's produced and stored in a blood barrier (testies) away from the body.

The one-day desensitization is the goal for all of us.
« Last Edit: 28/04/2011 22:40:08 by Limejuice »

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #13003 on: 28/04/2011 22:51:08 »

I think someone may have mentioned this but for the POIS tv show animus will be on, if possible it would be cool if someone could record it and put it on youtube of course with animus's permission. I myself don't have the equipment to do so.

VM, I just passed your post on to the TV producer, asking if this is possible.

I recently spoke with the TV producer, and she said she'll definitely send me a DVD of the show upon airing. She added that they usually don't post the shows online, however I have been able to view other episodes of that series on YouTube, or online somehow.  So I don't know if that will be available.

The name of the series is called "Strange Sex" on TLC. And they do have a few episodes online. To be honest, it's not the type of show I'd watch voluntarily. Kind of gross, fetishistic at times! But...

That said, once I receive the DVD, I will do everything I can to make it available by sending copies of it, or posting it somehow online myself, maybe with someone's help.

It is still on schedule to air on May 22nd on TLC at 10pm. Don't forget the popcorn!
« Last Edit: 28/04/2011 22:58:03 by Animus »

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #13004 on: 28/04/2011 22:54:09 »

Animus, I spoke to Prof. dr. Waldinger today, and he is very excited about watching your starring role in The Learning Channel May 22 TV Show on POIS.

If you can obtain a copy for him, I'll be happy to reimburse the cost. Wait for the mailing address from me as to where he'd like it sent. Thanks!

I assume you have hired an Agent and will be doing a Publicity Tour soon. Maybe you can replace Charlie Sheen.......whoops, getting offtopic now.....

I'm very excited that Dr. Waldinger is aware of the show, and look forward to sending him a copy of it.

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #13005 on: 28/04/2011 23:11:35 »
He wasn't keen at all.  He said anyone can be hypersensative to their own semen/sperm as it's a foreign substance with 23 chromosomes and that's why it's produced and stored in a blood barrier (testies) away from the body.

Limejuice, if I understand you correctly, Dr. Bernstein thought there was not a point in doing the skinprick test, because all men could easily be hypersensitive to an injection of their own sperm, and so it wouldn't have any particular correlation to POIS.  Is that correct?

If so, our recent pursuit of skinprick results may not have any significance.  (And it may also undermine Dr. Waldinger's use of skinprick tests as an indicator of POIS.)

Did Dr. Bernstein know of any specific scientific studies that indicate that men in general are likely to be hypersensitive to their own semen/sperm?  Or was it more of a general inference on his part from other knowledge of the blood barrier structure?

But, yes, I think that isolating the various seminal plasma proteins is a great step forward!

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: 28/04/2011 23:12:47 »

Amazing to learn that sperm has nothing to do with my POIS! edit - maybe I should have added 'today' ?

For now, just for now, can we leave out the past and take it up again in another installment?

I'd like to see if we differ about right here and now.

...THE PAST CANNOT BE DISCOUNTED...

emphasis mine - demo

Just to add in my understanding of the Demo/Dave Debate (D/D D):

Here is the data we have:

Demo prior to T treatment: POIS 100%, sperm count unknown.

Demo after T treatment: POIS reduced to 20%, sperm count zero.

So, there are two possible explanations:

1) Demo had a higher sperm count prior to T treatment, and it was reduced to zero be the T treatment.
   1a) This could indicate that sperm accounted for 80% of Demo's POIS, and with the elimination of sperm, only 20% of POIS remains, caused by another factor.
   1b) Or, it is possible that even if the T reduced the sperm count to zero, Demo's pre-T POIS was not related to sperm at all, and that the reduction of POIS was due to something other than elimination of sperm.

2) Demo already had a zero sperm count prior to the T treatment.  In this case, pre-T, he had zero sperm and 100% POIS.  So his POIS both pre-T and post-T would not be linked to sperm at all.

What we know now is that Demo's current remaining 20% of POIS is not linked to sperm.  However, the earlier 80% of POIS that has been eliminated could very well have been linked to the possible reduction of sperm count to zero (hypothesis 1a).

However, since don't know Demo's pre-T sperm count, we can't say for sure.  But we should certainly retain the strong possibility that sperm can be linked to POIS--even in Demo's case!
« Last Edit: 28/04/2011 23:22:06 by Guthrie »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: 28/04/2011 23:16:43 »
Exactly correct Guthrie and nicely said.

He didn't site any references and I took his word for it as it made sense. Sperm is a foreign substance just like a virus or bacteria and the immune system will attack it.
« Last Edit: 28/04/2011 23:23:49 by Limejuice »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: 28/04/2011 23:36:16 »

Fascinating news!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: 28/04/2011 23:43:41 »

Amazing to learn that sperm has nothing to do with my POIS! edit - maybe I should have added 'today' ?

For now, just for now, can we leave out the past and take it up again in another installment?

emphasis mine - demo

1) Demo had a higher sperm count prior to T treatment, and it was reduced to zero be the T treatment.
   1a) This could indicate that sperm accounted for 80% of Demo's POIS, and with the elimination of sperm, only 20% of POIS remains, caused by another factor.
   1b) Or, it is possible that even if the T reduced the sperm count to zero, Demo's pre-T POIS was not related to sperm at all, and that the reduction of POIS was due to something other than elimination of sperm.

2) Demo already had a zero sperm count prior to the T treatment.  In this case, pre-T, he had zero sperm and 100% POIS.  So his POIS both pre-T and post-T would not be linked to sperm at all.

What we know now is that Demo's current remaining 20% of POIS is not linked to sperm.  However, the earlier 80% of POIS that has been eliminated could very well have been linked to the possible reduction of sperm count to zero (hypothesis 1a).

However, since don't know Demo's pre-T sperm count, we can't say for sure.  But we should certainly retain the strong possibility that sperm can be linked to POIS--even in Demo's case!

Guthrie, thank you! (Although, grumble-grumble, you confirm that Dave is right about "it's beyond simple"  [:(!] )
« Last Edit: 28/04/2011 23:59:00 by demografx »

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #13010 on: 28/04/2011 23:54:39 »

emphasis mine - demo

Exactly, Guthrie, well put!
I have some follow up questions for Demo!...
1. Demo, would you still say you're 20% symptomatic?
2. Would you say that the current percentage of symptoms is in "intensity", meaning that you still have the full range of symptoms, but just milder than before...
Or is it a percentage of "quantity"- where many of your symptoms have gone away completely, but some persist? Cause as we've said before, it's a "constellation" of symptoms.
« Last Edit: 29/04/2011 00:04:56 by Animus »

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: 28/04/2011 23:57:50 »
anyone a member of this website? or know how to download the full study?
I would like to read Resnick's formula for intravaginal graded challenge
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18239014

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: 29/04/2011 00:07:48 »
http://myhealth.hollandhospital.org/HealthTopics/allergies/dec07acMain.htm

Dr. Ronald Simon, an allergist at Scripps Clinic in San Diego , told HealthDay that he and his colleagues have treated patients with a mixture of contraceptive gel and an anti-allergy medication, cromolyn.

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: 29/04/2011 00:11:54 »
Demo, the reason I ask is because I had a very identifiable point at which I stopped producing sperm, and I believe I found that certain symptoms went away completely, such as dizziness, but most others remained. It's a tough question to answer, I know...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13014 on: 29/04/2011 00:12:19 »
Animus, yes I'm basically at 1-day (max) POIS vs. 4-days' POIS  pre-testosterone treatment (Daily testosterone treatment has been 2 years now, full-blown-POIS, no treatment: 30+ years).

It's mainly a "quantity" effect, although the symptoms are also milder.

Apart from your questions: today upon POIS onset I TRIPLED my T, and upped the stimulant dose. Feeling better, but who knows, could be placebo. Never tripled before, but today I  just felt like trying to kick POIS in the teeth! Angry? Yes.
« Last Edit: 29/04/2011 00:18:44 by demografx »

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: 29/04/2011 00:13:12 »
I dont really understand this study but I thinks its important!!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20873120

discuss...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13016 on: 29/04/2011 00:14:04 »

http://myhealth.hollandhospital.org/HealthTopics/allergies/dec07acMain.htm

Dr. Ronald Simon, an allergist at Scripps Clinic in San Diego , told HealthDay that he and his colleagues have treated patients with a mixture of contraceptive gel and an anti-allergy medication, cromolyn.

A candidate for our collaborators' database?

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: 29/04/2011 00:19:54 »
Animus, yes I'm basically at 1-day (max) POIS vs. 4-days' POIS  pre-testosterone treatment (for 30+ years. Treatment has been 2 years now).

Apart from your questions: today upon POIS onset I TRIPLED my T, and upped the stimulant dose. Feeling better, but who knows, could be placebo. Never tripled before, but today I  just felt like trying to kick POIS in the teeth! Angry? Yes.

Yes, Spikes in testosterone make me much more belligerent and angry too!!!

Daveman, what do you think about me starting the "Animus Korner" -as demo put it!- over on the new site? I'd be willing to share the data and info on my surgeries, and on the TLC show, to those who are interested. I've had a couple people PM me about it here.
« Last Edit: 29/04/2011 00:33:54 by Animus »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: 29/04/2011 00:42:50 »
Maybe Daveman can provide you with some Chilean goddesses, too.

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: 29/04/2011 00:43:27 »

Animus, I spoke to Prof. dr. Waldinger today, and he is very excited about watching your starring role in The Learning Channel May 22 TV Show on POIS.

If you can obtain a copy for him, I'll be happy to reimburse the cost. Wait for the mailing address from me as to where he'd like it sent. Thanks!

I assume you have hired an Agent and will be doing a Publicity Tour soon. Maybe you can replace Charlie Sheen.......whoops, getting offtopic now.....

Yes, next we're going to do "POIS in 3D" at Imax theaters! It's going to be horrible and scary too!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13020 on: 29/04/2011 00:47:36 »

Fascinating news!

The implication is that POIS may still be a reaction to semen/sperm that has broken the blood barrier, but that the skinprick is not at all relevant in the diagnosis? And that's why the potential for desensitization still exists?

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13021 on: 29/04/2011 01:00:10 »
Animus, yes I'm basically at 1-day (max) POIS vs. 4-days' POIS  pre-testosterone treatment (for 30+ years. Treatment has been 2 years now).

Yes, Spikes in testosterone make me much more belligerent and angry too!!!

Daveman, what do you think about me starting the "Animus Korner" -as demo put it!- over on the new site? I'd be willing to share the data and info on my surgeries, and on the TLC show, to those who are interested. I've had a couple people PM me about it here.

Go for it! In "LifeStyle Diary" or "General Alternative Causes and Treatments" are two possibilities. I can announce your new thread in the News Box too.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13022 on: 29/04/2011 01:01:06 »
Maybe Daveman can provide you with some Chilean goddesses, too.

No, no, no, I'm in treatment right now.....!

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #13023 on: 29/04/2011 01:33:39 »
Daveman, I don't.understand. Are you saying coming into contact with an allergin is the same as a procedurally controlled desensatization?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13024 on: 29/04/2011 02:19:15 »

Yes, next we're going to do "POIS in 3D" at Imax theaters! It's going to be horrible and scary too!

;D ;D ;D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13024 on: 29/04/2011 02:19:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length