The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6447458 times)

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #13025 on: 29/04/2011 03:40:57 »
Daveman, I don't.understand. Are you saying coming into contact with an allergin is the same as a procedurally controlled desensatization?

I guess you're refering to this,

He wasn't keen at all.  He said anyone can be hypersensative to their own semen/sperm as it's a foreign substance with 23 chromosomes and that's why it's produced and stored in a blood barrier (testies) away from the body.

The one-day desensitization is the goal for all of us.

Fascinating news!

The implication is that POIS may still be a reaction to semen/sperm that has broken the blood barrier, but that the skinprick is not at all relevant in the diagnosis? And that's why the potential for desensitization still exists?

No, I'm just not sure if I'm following the implications.

He says he doesn't agree that the skinprick test has any value, for the reasons he mentions, but he agrees that there can be a semen allergy once the blood barrier is broken, and therefore desensitization is possible.

Just trying to clarify that.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13026 on: 29/04/2011 04:33:07 »

Unfortunately I already did and am fighting the insurance companies for reimbursement although it will be doubtful.

Perhaps a letter from "demografx" on The Naked Scientist stationery would help? ;D

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #13027 on: 29/04/2011 04:50:26 »

I'll have important test results very soon...

I defiantly look forward to seeing them.

Forgive me, I couldn't stop myself! ;D

Thnx Demo, you just highlighted the result of brain fog from POIS...having a hard time to type/spell is just the tip of the ice berg of how the mental symptoms wreak havoc in our lives...

As for having a compendium suggestions section on the other forum, it would be great if one can be created :)

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13028 on: 29/04/2011 13:14:38 »

I'll have important test results very soon...

I defiantly look forward to seeing them.

Forgive me, I couldn't stop myself! ;D

Thnx Demo, you just highlighted the result of brain fog from POIS...having a hard time to type/spell is just the tip of the ice berg of how the mental symptoms wreak havoc in our lives...

As for having a compendium suggestions section on the other forum, it would be great if one can be created :)

I'll put it on today and advise here. Remind me if I don't get back today, JIC.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13029 on: 29/04/2011 14:10:28 »
OK Pyro. I added a link to the compendium in the Books and References section, AND a thread for suggestions to the Compendium in the "General Suggestions" area.

I added notification of this in the news box which appears in the upper right once you open the "Header" area with the little arrow on the left under the page title.

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #13030 on: 29/04/2011 16:48:16 »
I think someone may have mentioned this but for the POIS tv show animus will be on, if possible it would be cool if someone could record it and put it on youtube of course with animus's permission. I myself don't have the equipment to do so.

Youtube has a limit of 1GB and/or 10 min or something like that... might be a problem, unless we do an extract.

There is a new YouTube limit now. 30-45 minutes I think.

edit - here is their message to some users: "Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes. Click the Upload button below to select a video."

Youtube's only size limit now is 20 Gig per video - pretty much no limit, in other words. I think anybody with a youtube.com account "in good standing" gets to go over the 15 minute mark, for as long as they want I believe.

Of course, uploading commercial broadcasting onto an account may cause it to no longer have "good standing" - Youtube are fairly fast at taking things down, obviously they don't want people uploading Hollywood blockbusters etc.

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #13031 on: 29/04/2011 16:59:50 »
OK Pyro. I added a link to the compendium in the Books and References section, AND a thread for suggestions to the Compendium in the "General Suggestions" area.

I added notification of this in the news box which appears in the upper right once you open the "Header" area with the little arrow on the left under the page title.

Many thanks daveman

Offline lidridop

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13032 on: 29/04/2011 18:09:34 »
Hi Guys,

My name is Dan and as my name suggests, I'm from Ireland :). I've been keeping up to date with a lot of the posts so far in this forum. I've been meaning to post for a while to tell my story & perhaps with all of our combined effort - we can find some kind of acceptable cure to this thing!

So a brief synopsis:
 I am in my early - twenties, and I have had the usual POIS symptoms since age 18. These include brain-fog, lack of spark/desire to do things, low energy, muscle soreness, poor form, irritability etc. At the start, when I felt these things for the first time, I thought I had depression and I was trying to cure that. It's only earlier this year (2011) that I have found this site - and now know my drastic change in form was actually dude to POIS. *shakes fist in anger!!* :(

I have kept a journal since age 16, I started masturbating at age 17. The decline in my general form is well documented in my journal!! At 16, I was jovial and happy - go - lucky, but within the space of a year, I literally changed so much mentally, that I seriously considered suicide. It was a massive change. That may sound dramatic, but that's really what happened. Initially, I didn't consider masturbation (I hate how that word sounds) to be the cause of my symptoms and bad times, but after about 3 months of daily ejaculations - I read on the internet about various "myths" about masturbation, and thought them to be true! Soon I believed that masturbation was just baaaaad and one should not participate in it or you go blind, bald, mad and everything else. So I lessened my frequency from once a day to maybe 1-2 times a week. I would always feel like crap after doing it.

Now, over the past few years, it hasn't been a major problem - I would do it now and then and aside from feeling like crap for a day, I would be ok with it. It was done in moderation. BUT THEN, starting last October, I lived with a girl for 6 months. We had sex daily, and, as you may guess, it was mild torture. In a way the whole situation was excellent - I love the girl and we had a great time together and good sex - it's just that after sex, there was this constant punishment that never seemed to end due to having it daily!! I started to make excuses for not doing it, and this is never good! Also, I seriously considered breaking up with her! Over this!!! Not good!! So I did some research, and found this site! Thank god for that ;)!

So I'm grateful for at least knowing what I have. It's very real and a big pain in the arse, as you may agree :). However, the following (personal to me) info may be significant, or mumbo-jumbo, you decide:

Right now my girlfriend and I have been apart (for a month or so) so no sex, but I masturbate daily. Co-incidentally, the weather has been very warm for 3 weeks. I now suffer almost NO physical effects of POIS when I ejaculate, apart from slight brain fog. Is there a relation between CIRCULATION/WARMTH OF BODY to RESISTANCE OF POIS? I've never had major symtoms when it is warm outside and my body doesn’t have to struggle to keep itself warm. Also, while exercising, I don't get any symptoms apart from tiredness. While exercising, my circulation would be good. However, when it's cold out (and it does get cold here), I could have POIS for 4-5 days. It's a major difference – I can barely function then. Anyone else notice that?? For example, I ejaculated this morning, and apart from slight poor form, I don’t have the 4-5 day hell that I would go through only last Febuary. Something to think about.

Perhaps that's a personal thing that I have. I've more to add but I don't see the point in a huge post that will take ages for you to read, I will add more later through interaction. Thanks so much for reading, I look forward to talking with you all and mayyybe to help find an answer for this annoying affliction!!! 

Dan. :)

P.S. After reading earlier posts, I noticed that you all sound like such nice guys!!! It’s a pity this condition doesn’t just affect dickheads like Hitler or people who abuse animals or something ;)!!! Damn!!!

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #13033 on: 29/04/2011 18:38:43 »

I have kept a journal since age 16, I started masturbating at age 17. The decline in my general form is well documented in my journal!! At 16, I was jovial and happy - go - lucky, but within the space of a year, I literally changed so much mentally, that I seriously considered suicide. It was a massive change.

I also started masturbating at age 17. I'm now 22 yrs old. I've always thought in the back of my mind that starting so late might be the cause of all or some of this POIS madness, but it seems for the most part unrelated. And yes it was a massive change for me as well. I went from being a fairly formidable athlete with some potential in martial arts to basically a bum who just plays videogames & watches tv all day. My grades in school took a nose-dive as well.

Right now my girlfriend and I have been apart (for a month or so) so no sex, but I masturbate daily. Co-incidentally, the weather has been very warm for 3 weeks. I now suffer almost NO physical effects of POIS when I ejaculate, apart from slight brain fog. Is there a relation between CIRCULATION/WARMTH OF BODY to RESISTANCE OF POIS? I've never had major symtoms when it is warm outside and my body doesnít have to struggle to keep itself warm. Also, while exercising, I don't get any symptoms apart from tiredness. While exercising, my circulation would be good. However, when it's cold out (and it does get cold here), I could have POIS for 4-5 days. It's a major difference Ė I can barely function then. Anyone else notice that?? For example, I ejaculated this morning, and apart from slight poor form, I donít have the 4-5 day hell that I would go through only last Febuary.

I've definitely noticed this. Whenever I'm exercising and my heart rate is going and I'm sweating my POIS symptoms are almost nonexistent, but return as soon as my body cools down. Also winter is just ending now and I can already feel my POIS lessening and some amount of energy and strength returning to my mind and body.
« Last Edit: 29/04/2011 18:42:38 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13034 on: 29/04/2011 18:44:44 »
limejuice,
If you are found to have more than one protein allergy, say for example, 1 semen related and 4 others, can the desensization treatment deal with all 5, or just one?

also how much is the one day treatment?
also if it fails, not in the POIS sense, but if you still test positive to the allergic protein after the treatment, is there a reduce cost to a sceond attempt?
thanks

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #13035 on: 29/04/2011 18:58:09 »

I recently spoke with the TV producer, and she said she'll definitely send me a DVD of the show upon airing. She added that they usually don't post the shows online, however I have been able to view other episodes of that series on YouTube, or online somehow.  So I don't know if that will be available.

The name of the series is called "Strange Sex" on TLC. And they do have a few episodes online. To be honest, it's not the type of show I'd watch voluntarily. Kind of gross, fetishistic at times! But...

That said, once I receive the DVD, I will do everything I can to make it available by sending copies of it, or posting it somehow online myself, maybe with someone's help.

It is still on schedule to air on May 22nd on TLC at 10pm. Don't forget the popcorn!

I wonder if you or another one of us posted the episode on youtube if it would go against some kind of copyright rule. Perhaps that would be a good question to ask the producer? Maybe they would even give you a digital copy for you to post directly online.

I don't think it's much trouble to get past the time limit for a youtube clip. I've watched entire movies on youtube before, the trick is just to break the video up into shorter youtube clips so you'll have "strange sex: episode POIS Part 1", strange sex: episode POIS Part 2",...part 3, ...ect...

Offline lidridop

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13036 on: 29/04/2011 20:27:57 »
I also started masturbating at age 17. I'm now 22 yrs old. I've always thought in the back of my mind that starting so late might be the cause of all or some of this POIS madness, but it seems for the most part unrelated. And yes it was a massive change for me as well. I went from being a fairly formidable athlete with some potential in martial arts to basically a bum who just plays videogames & watches tv all day. My grades in school took a nose-dive as well.

Yes Vincent, I remember reading your post when you first posted here, and your story is harrowing. I remember thinking it was similar to mine. Also, I remember you stating that you sometimes masturbated 7 times a day? I honestly think that's a horrible amount for your body. Especially with this condition. Even if you didn't have POIS, I think 7 times is too much - just because it does actually consume vital nutrients needed for the body and this is proven (zinc level lowers etc). I honestly think that some reports are way too blaze about the topic - the general consensus is "masturbation is normal! do it as often as you want!" - Of course, for the most part this is true, and I'm not suggesting people don't masturbate. It's just that you have to listen to your body. Sure, maybe 2% of the population could masturbate, say 5 times a day, and be fine. But the vast majority of people will be tired after that amount! It's all about knowing yourself.

And on that note, did you manage to cut down your frequency of masturbation? I'm not trying to change you, I mean well, I think if you have cut back, Vincent, you will notice a great difference to your athletic ability once more. Our body renews all the time so it's not too late to go back to peak fitness at age 22. No way! P.S. you sound like a very smart, decent guy and I hope your life currently is on the way up :).

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #13037 on: 29/04/2011 20:40:39 »
limejuice,
If you are found to have more than one protein allergy, say for example, 1 semen related and 4 others, can the desensization treatment deal with all 5, or just one?

also how much is the one day treatment?
also if it fails, not in the POIS sense, but if you still test positive to the allergic protein after the treatment, is there a reduce cost to a sceond attempt?
thanks

Great questions.  To be honest I haven't crossed that bridge yet to ask those questions.  In Dr. Bernstein's literature he states that the desensitization treatment's success rate is 90% among patients.  He doesn't talk about the failed 10%, or mention information about desensitizating multiple allergic proteins.

I hope we have reason to cross that bridge.
« Last Edit: 29/04/2011 20:42:19 by Limejuice »

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13038 on: 29/04/2011 21:10:29 »
if it does cover multi-proteins, if you think about it, the POIS/semen issue becomes fairly irrelevant, it becomes more about "cure me of all my allergies to improve my health", and then hopefully with a stronger immune system, the POIS will fade as a result.
« Last Edit: 29/04/2011 21:20:58 by horizon »

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #13039 on: 29/04/2011 23:36:49 »
P.S. After reading earlier posts, I noticed that you all sound like such nice guys!!! Itís a pity this condition doesnít just affect dickheads like Hitler or people who abuse animals or something ;)!!! Damn!!!

Welcome Dan!  I'm with you that I didn't find the NSF until early 2011 and read a bit before joining.  Seems like Dr. Waldinger's publication got the word out, which is great.  I'm with you that I'm surprised at how cool everyone is.  I'm normally a totally happy, upbeat guy, but POIS makes me feel like a dull jerk. You'd think everyone would be arguing like a bunch of cantankerous geezers.

I'm 32, had POIS for 7 yrs, quite active, and absolutely agree that exercise helps a lot.  Unfortunately, I've noticed no difference due to temperature.  I wish I did because I live in San Diego and could be POIS free almost year round!     

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #13040 on: 29/04/2011 23:38:19 »
http://myhealth.hollandhospital.org/HealthTopics/allergies/dec07acMain.htm [nofollow]

Dr. Ronald Simon, an allergist at Scripps Clinic in San Diego , told HealthDay that he and his colleagues have treated patients with a mixture of contraceptive gel and an anti-allergy medication, cromolyn.

Thanks Horizon, I'll be contacting Dr. Ronald. 

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13041 on: 30/04/2011 00:01:16 »
http://myhealth.hollandhospital.org/HealthTopics/allergies/dec07acMain.htm

Dr. Ronald Simon, an allergist at Scripps Clinic in San Diego , told HealthDay that he and his colleagues have treated patients with a mixture of contraceptive gel and an anti-allergy medication, cromolyn.

This would be for women, (perhaps the contraceptive gel component would have to be reconsidered :P).

It mentions the potential for a prostatic protein (part of the semen one would imagine) being a guilty culprit as well as sperm.

So interesting. They too are doing desensitizations.

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #13042 on: 30/04/2011 00:01:18 »

He wasn't keen at all.  He said anyone can be hypersensative to their own semen/sperm as it's a foreign substance with 23 chromosomes and that's why it's produced and stored in a blood barrier (testies) away from the body.

The one-day desensitization is the goal for all of us.

Fascinating news!

The implication is that POIS may still be a reaction to semen/sperm that has broken the blood barrier, but that the skinprick is not at all relevant in the diagnosis? And that's why the potential for desensitization still exists?

No, I'm just not sure if I'm following the implications.

He says he doesn't agree that the skinprick test has any value, for the reasons he mentions, but he agrees that there can be a semen allergy once the blood barrier is broken, and therefore desensitization is possible.

Just trying to clarify that.

My sense of it (based on Limejuice's reporting from Dr. Bernstein) is:

Sperm can cause an allergic reaction in people in general.  So the skinprick test with sperm wouldn't indicate anything one way or another about POIS.  Both POIS and non-POIS people would be likely to react.

However, if there is a 'gap' or some other problem internally, and the sperm reaches the bloodstream, then this could *also* cause an allergic reaction.  So, in this case, it could be possible to treat it with desensitization.

His bottom line seems to be: the allergen hypothesis may not be useful for testing for POIS, but it may still be useful for treating POIS.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #13043 on: 30/04/2011 00:48:18 »

And on that note, did you manage to cut down your frequency of masturbation?

P.S. you sound like a very smart, decent guy and I hope your life currently is on the way up :).

I think my masturbation frequency has somewhat decreased due to natural aging(maybe?) as I'm doing it closer to 3-4 times a day and rarely maybe once a week I'll do it more than that. I find that on days when I'm depressed I do it the most. It seems as if the fenugreek and garlic I've been taking have somewhat helped me control that addiction since they seem to be reducing my anxiety and depression slightly, which may have been part of the causes of my masturbation addiction.

You sound like a good, intelligent person as well and I'm glad you introduced yourself. The more active members we have here the better our publicity gets and the easier it is for new members to find us. Plus everyone has some helpful information to share.
« Last Edit: 30/04/2011 00:50:05 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline lidridop

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13044 on: 30/04/2011 00:54:17 »
Hey Willem, thanks for the welcome!

I'm normally a totally happy, upbeat guy, but POIS makes me feel like a dull jerk.

Tell me about it - in February i was having the best fun day off with my girlfriend, in such a good mood, just hanging out! Watching a game on tv, half time break comes and we did it. BAM! POIS ruins my day!! 100%!! For the rest of the day I was an irritable freak and had to take a nap! wtf. It's a head wrecker!! :(

Out of interest, does anyone have any of the following symptoms when masturbating regularly:

Dark Circles,
Paleness,
Tired, fatigued appearance?

I do believe that POIS and ejaculation is  a factor for these symptoms as well as normal POIS symptoms - especially if frequency of ejaculation is high. I don't want to know this stuff but when you're affected by it, it tends to become an interest of yours. Right now I'm just turned off by the whole thing - I don't want to have an orgasm, the price to pay is very high for a 10 second great feeling.

I'm beginning to think this is natures way of saying "hey, this is enough, you just need this to reproduce, dont abuse it!!".
Much like drugs, alcohol, bad food etc - it's nice at the time but too much/abuse it and it's baaaad news!!!

I'm trying to live my life without it right now and think about other things, which is fine - but when I live with my girlfriend again (we're long distance at mo), I don't want to f**k things up with this condition!! It's a total head wreck as all of us know only too well. Ready and willing to find a cure. Cue much research from me, I wont rest until this thing is gone!! 

Offline lidridop

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13045 on: 30/04/2011 01:05:31 »
I think my masturbation frequency has somewhat decreased due to natural aging(maybe?) as I'm doing it closer to 3-4 times a day and rarely maybe once a week I'll do it more than that. I find that on days when I'm depressed I do it the most.

Really? How can you do it that often? I would probably collapse into a coma dude!! Why don't you give yourself a chance to recover? Sorry if i'm intruding, but your case sounds like one of the worst though in terms of your symptoms, and 3-4 times a day wouldn't be helping you.. have you tried eating well, exercising and cutting it down to maybe 3-4 times weekly instead of daily? Or is that too hard? Sorry again, I just feel for you, I was in that situation and realllly had to cut back or else things were not going anywhere. If I did that these days, I would collapse, no doubts.

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #13046 on: 30/04/2011 01:42:42 »
http://myhealth.hollandhospital.org/HealthTopics/allergies/dec07acMain.htm [nofollow]

This would be for women, (perhaps the contraceptive gel component would have to be reconsidered :P).

It mentions the potential for a prostatic protein (part of the semen one would imagine) being a guilty culprit as well as sperm.

So interesting. They too are doing desensitizations.

Exactly.  An interest and familiarity with the ailment and a willingness to do desensitization are the key.  My previous allergist was totally cool, but didn't specialize in handling semen. 

Offline sameer7777

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13047 on: 30/04/2011 01:47:20 »
Thankyou everyone , 1st i thought i am alone ......we have to fight and stay together and share info with each other .......so from now on you guys are my family .....May God help us .......keep in touch guys

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #13048 on: 30/04/2011 02:15:50 »
Really? How can you do it that often? I would probably collapse into a coma dude!! Why don't you give yourself a chance to recover? Sorry if i'm intruding, but your case sounds like one of the worst though in terms of your symptoms, and 3-4 times a day wouldn't be helping you.. have you tried eating well, exercising and cutting it down to maybe 3-4 times weekly instead of daily? Or is that too hard? Sorry again, I just feel for you, I was in that situation and realllly had to cut back or else things were not going anywhere. If I did that these days, I would collapse, no doubts.

I have tried using diet and exercise to reduce my sex drive, but that failed. Even tried prozac to calm my sex drive, but that just made some of my hair fall out. So yeahh...what can I say masturbation is truly an addiction for me just like alcohol is for an alcoholic except worse, because it's like an alcoholic with a never ending supply of vodka right by his bedside. Even if you know it's destroying your body & mind it's impossible to stop a true addiction with mere willpower. And trust me I know it's killing me. That's why I'm going the route of herbal supplements since they don't require much willpower and they won't cause hair loss like prozac did.

On that note I just ordered some relora. I've read that it reduces anxiety and helps you sleep better and the scientific studies on it seem legit. There's also the previous successes on this forum with relora so looks like it's worth a try.

Dan, I know you're trying to help give me some pointers so thanks man. I appreciate any advice. *EDIT*- I would be interested in any advice to reduce my sex drive though.
« Last Edit: 30/04/2011 02:34:08 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #13049 on: 30/04/2011 02:46:35 »
Thankyou everyone , 1st i thought i am alone ......we have to fight and stay together and share info with each other .......so from now on you guys are my family .....May God help us .......keep in touch guys

Well Sameer, you're not alone anymore that's for sure.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13049 on: 30/04/2011 02:46:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length