The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6425600 times)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #13175 on: 14/05/2011 16:48:57 »
Thanks Hurray. Some people will think this subject is disruptive but in my opinion is very important to discuss to increase our chance to attract more cases, so potentially more interest from researchers. I remember how Dr Waldinger was impressed by our number of cases. I think it's great you help with this. I agree with you for duplicate content, what decided me to post about it was to prevent copying entire pages and because Google said they want to keep some quality for the users who are forced to read two times the same thing so I had a little doubt.

I'm sure you know that the exact ways search engines are managing rankings is somewhat secret so it's hard to be perfect.
Yes forums with low pagerank are indexed and I think they won't appear first in the results compared with best PR, even for Google, the web is big.. If an other topic at TNS is 4 then we can do it too by following your suggestions, we are 3/10! But it's not only pagerank. Keywords are important, if someone talk about Lyme disease in the new forum and not here, then maybe for the next two years we'll fail to attract new POIS cases who have Lyme disease and who could help us with treatments as well. I know we must start somewhere but indexing should be done asap.

I agree with you 110% for what you say about the new forum and I'm now reassured it will be indexed because it was not sure at the beginning.

I think we definitely need a MAIN forum with more complexity (but not too much!) ---because the way we are discussing here is not adapted:
I understand we should have the discussions topic after topic rather than posts after posts in one topic, this has many advantages:
e.g: we can come back easily on unanswered points - There's a search functionality in all SMF forums limited only to the first pages of a topic- More keywords are in the title of the topics page (better for search engines)--- but the question is will everybody post in the new forum?  I'll go with the majority.
btw we can do polls at forumup.org

Perhaps there would have been serious other places on the web ready to give us a childboard and we can try again here first in case they changed their opinion. There are medical forums, science forums, where we can ask. Like Demo said one day, we can have several churches.
This could be a temporary solution the time everything is in place at the new forum. And I really think having our own forum with our own domain name is an advantage if the site represent the majority of the POIS sufferers.

About adwords it can be good and can add something but personally I avoid to click on sponsored links to have reliable scientific info. Except maybe if I see "fatigue after orgasm"..
« Last Edit: 17/05/2011 22:26:35 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13176 on: 14/05/2011 17:32:14 »

Demo, do you have some news from Prof Waldinger? how the research is going and so on? thank you  :)

Habibou, unfortunately nothing has changed since my last post below:

Prof. dr. Waldinger status

Some of the forum members/readers here have had difficulty in communicating with Dr. Waldinger, such as not getting a reply with his 2011 papers.

I spoke to him, and while he is very committed to POIS, he has many obligations that keep him extremely busy, such as teaching PhD's, medical responsibilities with hospital patients, writing/publishing papers in other areas of sexual medicine, conference presentations, and much more.

Keep in mind that his POIS funding is like ours: bootstrap. Which is another way of saying self-funded.

He will proceed with the POIS surveys, but that might take several months to get going

If you write to him asking for the 2011 research study papers and get no reply, PM me with your email and I will send it ASAP.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13177 on: 14/05/2011 17:54:10 »

Interesting point Hurray with page rank, thanks for that. I tend to agree the traffic here will never decrease for the pages already indexed but we have to make sure our traffic will continue to increase, and this is not done by posting in a hidden forum.
TNS pagerank is 7/10 but the first page of the POIS forum is only 3/10, proof that Google treat it separately than TNS, at least partially. There are other topics at TNS with 0/10 pagerank. Maybe it's the number of links toward the topic that make the difference and perhaps for a small part the number of pages with the same title...
It would be really nice to have a main forum bigger than what we have now at TNS and very well exposed in search engines with a good pagerank.

An other point about search engines, Google does not recommend to have duplicate content within or across sites. I don't know if cross posting can be considered as duplicate content. After years of doing this the amount of duplicate can be huge but I would not think it's a problem if only a small part of each page is duplicate.
From Google guidelines:
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66359

You make a good point about the difference between the TNS pagerank and the POIS thread internal pagerank. Internal pageranks can be misleading, though - the biggest subforum on google webmaster central "Crawling, indexing & ranking" has over 50,000 threads and shows an internal pagerank of 0! However, the content there is still very heavily indexed.

The vast majority of websites have a front page with a pagerank of less than 3 - for a single thread on a subforum, 3 is pretty darned impressive. The number is derived from external links that go directly to this thread and the internal link(s) from our PR7 friends at TNS.

It's entirely possible that we could get the pagerank of the front page of the new site up to 2 or 3 with lots of unique content and some high-quality external links. The internal pages would almost certainly have a lower pagerank though. I would predict that both forums will continue to co-exist for many years to come, and that's no bad thing.

Duplicate content is a real issue with SEO, but it mostly affects sites that steal content wholesale from other websites. If you have 90%+ original content, you are fine - I see no harm in people cross-posting messages between forums where it is appropriate; we have so much unique content on this thread already that the chance of us getting penalised by google for duplicate content is negligible.

While it's hugely important that POIS sufferers can find our websites and contribute, it's even more important that we can have relevant detailed discussions about POIS and share our findings with one another - the new website has really improved our ability to do that, and if it means that somewhere along the line we take a slight SEO hit, so be it. But my own opinion is that the TNS thread will remain very visible to search engines, while the new forum's visibility will grow organically over time.

Many thanks for discussing this!! A most important topic in my opinion.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13178 on: 14/05/2011 18:52:24 »

Also i know its asking alot but where might i find the papers from Dr. Waldinger? 

Write to him as suggested in your Welcome Post. If no reply, send me or daveman your email address and we'll get the papers to you ASAP.

Offline Hoping

• View Profile
« Reply #13179 on: 14/05/2011 19:02:31 »
John21 and B_Jim, I will be getting a dvd copy of the show after it airs. Once I do, I'll see if I can try to get it to those of you who want to see it! Or somehow upload it.  Thanks!

I haven't posted here in a while -- been pretty busy. I just wanted to say that there are several software programs that might help with recording and/or uploading the DVD. You can rip (which basically means "record") the DVD to your hard drive. I use free software called DVD Shrink (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm) and have never had a problem. You can also do a screen capture, which will record anything (sound, visual, movies, etc.) that appears on your computer screen. CamStudio is a good free software for that (http://camstudio.org/). As to uploading and sharing... I'm sure there's a good way to do it. As others have mentioned, youtube might be difficult due to copywrite stuff. I'm pretty sure there's a way to upload videos and share them so only people with a link can access them -- in other words, it's not open to the public. This might be a possible solution? Just brainstorming.

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #13180 on: 14/05/2011 20:22:40 »

Demo, do you have some news from Prof Waldinger? how the research is going and so on? thank you  :)

Habibou, unfortunately nothing has changed since my last post below:

In fact, the best thing would be to  tell our condition to real seekers!... I am contacting some in France thanks to my family's relations to have more answers.
« Last Edit: 14/05/2011 20:28:53 by Habibou »

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #13181 on: 14/05/2011 21:48:20 »
Martin, to me it all sounds very technical so not easy to understand, but I agree we need to be high in search engine rankings.

I just added a signature to my profile: "POIS, fatigue, brain fog, can't find words, can't concentrate". This to give us high rankings and to make us easily found by new cases. B_Jim was the first to do this.  Unfortunately my signature is not displayed here, because TNS says they only display it when you are a "trusted member", to prevent spam. So apparently I am not a trusted member.
« Last Edit: 14/05/2011 22:01:28 by rock27 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13182 on: 14/05/2011 23:29:33 »

I just added a signature to my profile: "POIS, fatigue, brain fog, can't find words, can't concentrate". This to give us high rankings and to make us easily found by new cases. B_Jim was the first to do this.  Unfortunately my signature is not displayed here, because TNS says they only display it when you are a "trusted member", to prevent spam. So apparently I am not a trusted member.

rock27, this is news to me. Kindly PM me with more detail so I can see what this is all about? Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
« Last Edit: 14/05/2011 23:31:16 by demografx »

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #13183 on: 14/05/2011 23:53:00 »
Demo,
I sent you it by e-mail. Actually each member can see this when you want to change your profile settings (especially signature).

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #13184 on: 15/05/2011 03:08:59 »
Sounds good Rock, I can see your signature now.
« Last Edit: 16/05/2011 13:52:45 by martin88 »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #13185 on: 15/05/2011 09:24:22 »
John21 and B_Jim, I will be getting a dvd copy of the show after it airs. Once I do, I'll see if I can try to get it to those of you who want to see it! Or somehow upload it.  Thanks!

I haven't posted here in a while -- been pretty busy. I just wanted to say that there are several software programs that might help with recording and/or uploading the DVD. You can rip (which basically means "record") the DVD to your hard drive. I use free software called DVD Shrink (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm) and have never had a problem. You can also do a screen capture, which will record anything (sound, visual, movies, etc.) that appears on your computer screen. CamStudio is a good free software for that (http://camstudio.org/). As to uploading and sharing... I'm sure there's a good way to do it. As others have mentioned, youtube might be difficult due to copywrite stuff. I'm pretty sure there's a way to upload videos and share them so only people with a link can access them -- in other words, it's not open to the public. This might be a possible solution? Just brainstorming.

I think these are good ideas. I didn't know about these programs.

Offline JRD

• View Profile
« Reply #13186 on: 15/05/2011 11:18:32 »
Hello,

I am so glad, I've found this forum. First, let me introduce myself - I am 25yr old male, living in the Czech Republic, Europe. I've been experiencing these strange, indefinable symptoms since - as far as I know - the age of 12 - 13.

What I am talking about? Well, these appear to be (and definitely are) quite obscure, as if they were implicated by some serious underlying neurological illness:

1.) fluctuating set of symptoms, which is well known under the term of "brain fog" or "cognitive dysfunction" (impaired ability to think clearly, impaired problem solving & visualizing, impaired simple math & logical skills, impaired abstract thinking, speech & written text understanding, difficulty with speech and articulation itself, with remembering and comprehending, with finding the right word, memory, organizing and concentration, general sluggishness etc.)

2.) fatigue or exhaustion, which are manifested most of the time by sleepiness and daytime sleeping, tiredness and pasivity, inability to mobilize my energy (this is not the case of physical fatigue, weak arms and legs and so on)

3.) nervousness, anxiety and depressive mood (something like dysphoric state of mind, lack of a well-being feeling, negativism, worrying, social fear and social awkwardness leading to isolation, low self-esteem, I'm feeling detached etc.) - these are most likely a consequence of the brain fog symptoms and mental fatigue

4.) occasional nerve & muscle pain + numbness throught the whole body (this is really mild and I don't find it much important)

Because all of this, I was forced to find help. In the year 2006 I visited my GP with the fear of having Diabetes - negative. I obtained a recommendation to psychotherapeutic clinic, because of "unresolved problems". Well, I've started visiting a psychotherapeutist (and psychiatrist) back in Semptember '06 and therefore, I had to accept, it is all in my mind, I am mentally ill etc. I've passed through various types theraphies including the group, gestalt and dynamic ones. I was taking various types of antidepressants including SSRI, SNRI and IMAO, which made things much worse (so I coldturkeyed them in November '10 and since then I've still been experiencing some protracted withdrawal symptoms, although I feel way better now).

During that time, the effect of psychotherapeutic intervention + antidepressants was minimal to none. Nearly nothing has changed! I've been living in this despair for so many years, supposing it is normal. Some friends of mine and even parents suspect, I am a hypochondriac! But I know, this is not the truth. There is an objective proof of my fluctuating intellectual abilities, which cannot be explain by simple "bad day" or "being unlucky":

In April '09 I passed a psychometric examination, including Raven's Standard Progressive Matrices (IQ test) with a score between 115-120 (SD15).
In September '09 I passed an official Mensa test, which consists of Raven's Advanced Progressive Matrices (same IQ test, harder difficulty) with a score of 152 (SD15).

Being in constant despair, I've started a reserarch of possible causes - with the help of google. Lupus, MS, Adrenal fatigue, Hypothyroidism, brain lesions, nutritional deficiency, Hypoglycemia, Celiac disease, Lyme, bizzare ones like Chronic fatigue syndome or Fibromyalgia, Leaky gut syndrome and POIS. POIS is the term, I've noticed about a month ago for the first time. I thought it is nonsensual and foolish!

Yesterday, I took a much more serious look at this problematic, which is the reason, I write this message. I've been masturbating since the age of 7 or 8, sometimes excessively, sometimes more naturally, but there were no 4 - 5 days, I wouldn't do that.

The last time I masturbated? Yesterday afternoon.
Average daily number of masturbations (orgasms)? I masturbate 1 - 3 times per day or two.

My only wish is to feel fine, with all my potentials activated. Unfortunately, I am jailed in this misery for most of the time. I've decided to make an attempt - I'll try not to masturbate for several days or weeks to find out, if this is the possible cause.

I would really appriciate some tips or advices from all of you experiencing similar symptoms and states of mind.

Thank you in advance.

J.

Offline emi_b

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13187 on: 15/05/2011 13:57:20 »
Hi, J. and welcome to POIS comunity.

I was taking various types of antidepressants including SSRI, SNRI and IMAO, which made things much worse (so I coldturkeyed them in November '10 and since then I've still been experiencing some protracted withdrawal symptoms, although I feel way better now).
I also tried a lot of(I'm sorry for mistake) one antidepressant: Zoloft, and other psychoactive drugs: anticonvulsants (Depakine, carbamazepine, topamax), antipsychotic: Rispolet(risperidone), a benzodiazepine, antiparkinson drugs(to counter the adverse effects of antipsychotic Rispolet), wich it seem that most of them hadn't been of almost any help, and others made me feel more ill than without them. Now I've quited taking the last drug: Zoloft. All these were prescribed by doctors
(neurologist, psychiatrists, and others).
4.) occasional nerve & muscle pain + numbness throught the whole body (this is really mild and I don't find it much important)
I also have had an unexplained paresthesia in my left little finger for a week at the beginning of symptoms.

I've started a reserarch of possible causes - with the help of google. Lupus, MS, Adrenal fatigue, Hypothyroidism, brain lesions, nutritional deficiency, Hypoglycemia, Celiac disease, Lyme, bizzare ones like Chronic fatigue syndome or Fibromyalgia, Leaky gut syndrome and POIS.
Me too, but I didn't found POIS only recently also.

I would really appriciate some tips or advices from all of you experiencing similar symptoms and states of mind.
I don't know what to say, maybe try garlic or fenugreek. It seems that them have some bennefic effects.

Best wishes.

Mod Edit: I edited the links to include the new domain... directs links won't make it through the redirect yet. Although the goal is to start using the new URL, I'll make the effort to redirect specific links directly as soon as I can
« Last Edit: 24/10/2011 21:23:37 by emi_b »

Offline a2g

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13188 on: 15/05/2011 15:57:12 »
Hey guys I'm a 21 years old guy from Denmark. I have followed the forum for a couple months now, and after reading the last couple of replies its differently pois i have. All the things that has been writing in the forum leads to what i see as a clear indication on what the hell that i have been dealt with the last couple of years. It is kind of a releave that its "only" is pois, i thought had cancer or depression because of allways being tired, out of energy, headache and wired feeling in my head, a kind of fogyish thing. Hopefully there could be find a cure or some major reduction of some of the symptoms here on 22. may.

But until that, I will tell some of my theories and things that i have found helpfull.

First of all, i think that hole thing about the being allergic to the semen is not really the case, i think it is the orgasm which causes the brain fog and the other symptoms. Because the bigger it orgasm is, the bigger the brain fog is in my case

Some of the things i know that helps my symptoms is garlic, some natural cold medicine called Kan Jang which really releave some of the worst things, and then i found out that alcohol, in the way that after a night out, i feel temporary free of the pois until the day after.

I'm sorry if i has repeating some things that has allready been posted, but as I see it you could never get enough good advice.

Offline bruxe

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13189 on: 15/05/2011 16:00:54 »
is curcuma better than garlic and fenugreek?

i will start taking curcuma+black pepper  " black pepper increase absorption of curcumine by 2000% time"
curcuma is very famous and it's the bestest anti inflammatory used for allergy longtime ago

before ejaculation: one cup of milk 33cl + tsp curcuma "good quality"+ 1/3 tsp black pepper
and after ;   cup of milk 33cl + tsp curcuma "good quality"+ 1/3 black tsp pepper

after I'll give you my conclusion

---------------------
English beginner
« Last Edit: 15/05/2011 16:13:04 by bruxe »

Offline JRD

• View Profile
« Reply #13190 on: 15/05/2011 17:00:41 »
emi_b and others,

thank you for your replies. I will wait until my condition & mood stabilize. If THIS is the cause, I will probably feel much better in a few days or weeks of the absence of masturbation. I am also going to get an MRI scan to exclude more severe probabilities. If everything other is fine, I will consider contacting Prof. dr. Waldinger to get questionnaire and some recommendations how to treat myself (i.e. which type of local doctor visit to get proper tests, treatments like hyposensitization etc.).

emi_b: I've also taken various benzodiazepines, mostly during the worst days of my SSRI withdrawal. I am 100% sure that antidepressants worsened my cognition in a different way than probable POIS (SNRI/SSRI caused quite scary memory impairment and changes in my perception/personality).

Kind Regards

J.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13191 on: 15/05/2011 19:32:41 »

spence23, JRD,  and a2g, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

The Learning Channel (TLC) upcoming feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". They're planning to air it on May 22, 10pm Eastern Standard time. Animus will keep us informed of any changes.

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

* Most recent POIS Research Studies, 2011 *

If you will send Prof. dr. Waldinger an e-mail, stating that you have read his message on the Forum, at http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg340138#msg340138 and that you are willing to fill in a questionnaire, he will send you the copies of both 2011 research articles by return through email. At a later date, he will send you the questionnaire which, after having filled in, you should send him back by e-mail.
His email:
prof.dr.waldinger.pois@gmail.com

Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger's website:
http://www.post-orgasmic-illness-syndrome.com/en/index.html

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

There are a couple of ways to get any or all of the above 3 studies: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF.

Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,000,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13192 on: 15/05/2011 19:35:23 »

spence23, JRD, and a2g, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #13193 on: 15/05/2011 20:23:33 »
I would like to provide more info on my recent experience. I had a week of brain fog which wasn't attached to sexual activity, as my latest NE was almost four weeks ago. It is unusual for me to have such a fog outside of POIS. Two item come to mind on what might have been involved in the fog lifting:

1 Milk
I always have yogurt with my berries nightly, but on that foggy week I had been eating a different kind, "Greek yogurt" which is higher in protein. The fog seemed to start around the time that I started eating this type of yogurt, and it also ended the day after I hadn't eaten any. The reason that I make this possible connection is that giving up milk products was the first thing that helped my POIS years ago. I had been testing the waters with yogurt for a long time. If it contributed to minor POIS I put up with it because I like it so much. So what is in milk protein that might be messing me up mentally? This idea has been discussed in the past here, I remember that opiate peptides were a possible cause of such a reaction.

2 Vitamin D
The other thing that I did on the day before the fog lifted was to consume a couple of vitamin D pills (1000mg?). I used to take one of these daily but fell out of the habit a while ago.

My suspicion is that the yogurt is the most likely, as it's consumption fit the period directly. And if my D was low would a couple of pills make that much difference that fast?  So I have switched to a soy based yogurt (which doesn't taste as good but oh well), and I'll probably start back on daily D. Even if it isn't a contributing factor it is supposed to be a good thing to take for general health.
« Last Edit: 15/05/2011 20:27:22 by John21 »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13194 on: 15/05/2011 20:56:48 »
I would like to provide more info on my recent experience. I had a week of brain fog which wasn't attached to sexual activity, as my latest NE was almost four weeks ago. It is unusual for me to have such a fog outside of POIS. Two item come to mind on what might have been involved in the fog lifting:

1 Milk
I always have yogurt with my berries nightly, but on that foggy week I had been eating a different kind, "Greek yogurt" which is higher in protein. The fog seemed to start around the time that I started eating this type of yogurt, and it also ended the day after I hadn't eaten any. The reason that I make this possible connection is that giving up milk products was the first thing that helped my POIS years ago. I had been testing the waters with yogurt for a long time. If it contributed to minor POIS I put up with it because I like it so much. So what is in milk protein that might be messing me up mentally? This idea has been discussed in the past here, I remember that opiate peptides were a possible cause of such a reaction.

2 Vitamin D
The other thing that I did on the day before the fog lifted was to consume a couple of vitamin D pills (1000mg?). I used to take one of these daily but fell out of the habit a while ago.

My suspicion is that the yogurt is the most likely, as it's consumption fit the period directly. And if my D was low would a couple of pills make that much difference that fast?  So I have switched to a soy based yogurt (which doesn't taste as good but oh well), and I'll probably start back on daily D. Even if it isn't a contributing factor it is supposed to be a good thing to take for general health.

There's a Greek yogurt marketed here (don't know if it's really Greek, but the name is something like "Greek Yogurt") which is supposed to be really creamy. Honestly listed in the contents "in small print" is high cream content! So as you imply, all yogurt isn't "all yogurt".

We're not all alike, but I have had some negative experience with milk more recently, although mild. I have to mention again, that my symptoms are more physical than cognitive, so perhaps milk could have greater effect over the cognitive.

Most likely it's the combination of the two. Maybe we can't cure POIS this way, but we sure can make it somewhat more livable.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #13195 on: 15/05/2011 22:16:21 »

1 Milk

2 Vitamin D

There's a Greek yogurt marketed here (don't know if it's really Greek, but the name is something like "Greek Yogurt") which is supposed to be really creamy. Honestly listed in the contents "in small print" is high cream content! So as you imply, all yogurt isn't "all yogurt".

We're not all alike, but I have had some negative experience with milk more recently, although mild. I have to mention again, that my symptoms are more physical than cognitive, so perhaps milk could have greater effect over the cognitive.

Most likely it's the combination of the two. Maybe we can't cure POIS this way, but we sure can make it somewhat more livable.

The kind I tried was fat free, I'm extremely vigalent to steer clear of saturated fats, although I do consume some by eating nuts. But I like the gist, read the ingredients!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13196 on: 15/05/2011 23:03:36 »
Hi all, just a reminder, the new forum is at http://www.poiscenter.com/forums/index.php it'll be good to see you there.
« Last Edit: 16/05/2011 17:33:37 by daveman »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13197 on: 16/05/2011 00:03:07 »
It'll be at our new domain within a couple of days NOW. If you go to the above address it will refer you automatically to the new address you'll be there. I'll announce it here too.

« Last Edit: 16/05/2011 17:35:05 by daveman »

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #13198 on: 16/05/2011 08:14:47 »
Thanks Hurray. Some people will think this subject is disruptive but in my opinion is very important to discuss to increase our chance to attract more cases, so potentially more interest from researchers. I remember how Dr Waldinger was impressed by our number of cases. I think it's great you help with this. I agree with you for duplicate content, what decided me to post about it was to prevent copying entire pages and because Google said they want to keep some quality for the users who are forced to read two times the same thing so I had a little doubt.

I'm sure you know that the exact ways search engines are managing rankings is somewhat secret so it's hard to be perfect.
Yes forums with low pagerank are indexed and I think they won't appear first in the results compared with best PR, even for Google, the web is big.. If an other topic at TNS is 4 then we can do it too by following your suggestions, we are 3/10! But it's not only pagerank. Keywords are important, if someone talk about Lyme disease in the new forum and not here, then maybe for the next two years we'll fail to attract new POIS cases who have Lyme disease and who could help us with treatments as well. I know we must start somewhere but indexing should be done asap.

I agree with you 110% for what you say about the new forum and I'm now reassured it will be indexed because it was not sure at the beginning, I was dismissed several times when trying to discuss about it.

I think we definitely need a MAIN forum with more complexity (but not too much!) ---because the way we are discussing here is not adapted:
I understand we should have the discussions topic after topic rather than posts after posts in one topic, this has many advantages:
e.g: we can come back easily on unanswered points - There's a search functionality in all SMF forums limited only to the first pages of a topic- More keywords are in the title of the topics page (better for search engines)--- but the question is will everybody post in the new forum?  I'll go with the majority.
btw we can do polls at forumup.org

Perhaps there would have been serious other places on the web ready to give us a childboard and we can try again here first in case they changed their opinion. There are medical forums, science forums, where we can ask. Like Demo said one day, we can have several churches.
This could be a temporary solution the time everything is in place at the new forum. And I really think having our own forum with our own domain name is an advantage if the site represent the majority of the POIS sufferers.

About adwords it can be good and can add something but personally I avoid to click on sponsored links to have reliable scientific info. Except maybe if I see "fatigue after orgasm"..

Just wrote a long reply, which disappeared into the depths of the internet - bah! My main points were - I share your concern about keywords, but I think we have so many on TNS already that anybody who is fairly determined will almost certainly stumble across this forum with a few searches.

Another way pagerank can be misleading is that the "published" pagerank (the one you see in pagerank checkers) trails several months behind the "effective" pagerank (the one that google searches use). So our new site might appear to have no pagerank for a while, when really it is doing well on google. Google does this to prevent people gaming their search algorithms to work out ways to increase PR. Also, pagerank isn't everything - the google algorithm has a multitude of factors (some of which you can see publically as they are part of google's patent filings on their search methods).

Given a few months, the new site should start getting fairly good listings on google, and these will improve as it accumulates more posts. Despite my initial fears, both forums seem to be co-existing fine - both are averaging about 14 posts a day since April, compared to the 9 posts a day that this thread has averaged since it began in 2007.

Having been opposed to a new offsite forum initially, I'm very happy to admit that Daveman and Demo have done a fine job - no solution can please everybody 100%. If some disaster should strike, we can always revert to TNS and regroup - we can't let Daveman and Demo travel on the same plane   ;)
« Last Edit: 16/05/2011 08:18:43 by hurray »

Offline Omen 30

• View Profile
« Reply #13199 on: 16/05/2011 11:28:23 »
hi i have been thru pois since the last almost 15 years and i came to know about it maybe before 6 months.
i have noticed that pois hits me when my sperms are released and not the semen

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13199 on: 16/05/2011 11:28:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length