The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6433825 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #13475 on: 01/06/2011 00:02:23 »

I would love to study the biological semen regeneration process. That just MAY possibly be the path to a full POIS cure - for some of us!!

Maybe Pyropeach will help me/others take the lazy way out and teach us here? :)

Demo, you never fail to flatter....lol  I encourage everyone to lookup anything and everything about semen regeneration, or more accurately I'd say, semen-glands regeneration. 

That's it? End of lecture? I want my money back! :)

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #13476 on: 01/06/2011 02:18:47 »

I would love to study the biological semen regeneration process. That just MAY possibly be the path to a full POIS cure - for some of us!!

Demo, you never fail to flatter....lol  I encourage everyone to lookup anything and everything about semen regeneration, or more accurately I'd say, semen-glands regeneration. 

I dont think it takes that long to make semen(with no sperm). 

Offline Vandemolen3

• View Profile
« Reply #13477 on: 01/06/2011 02:51:14 »
The nature.com article was discussed on this forum before.
I bought it and, apart from the first paragraph that talks about the urinary thing (I can't remember they are in Dr W's papers, or are they?) it is a summary of Dr W. papers.
I can send it to you if you PM me your mail. I am not going to post as there may be rights on.

Thanks Rock. I don't have to read if you say there is nothing new in the article.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13478 on: 01/06/2011 03:04:17 »

When I get that "fullness" below, it's selling...

Who is it selling?  :D

My selling is crappy when I'm in POIS, I also loose my sense of sell!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13479 on: 01/06/2011 03:38:46 »

When I get that "fullness" below, it's selling...

Who is it selling?  :D

My selling is crappy when I'm in POIS, I also lose my sense of sell!

Are you suggesting we look at stem sell for POIS?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13480 on: 01/06/2011 03:45:17 »

I dont think it takes that long to make semen(with no sperm). 

Holy mackerel!

So maybe WHEN I lost my sperm - making semen only - is when I became 80% POIS-free???

I am concluding that because of my regeneration theory (faster regen = LESS POIS, slower regen = WORSE POIS) ...the plot thickens (no pun intended)...amazing.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2011 17:28:02 by demografx »

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13481 on: 01/06/2011 10:22:56 »
From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/in_depth/allergies/allergicmedical_treatments.shtml

Treating allergies:
1) Desensitisation immunotherapy
2) Effective symptom relief
3) Treating inflammation
4) Monoclonal antibodies
5) DNA vaccines

Effective symptom relief
For most allergies, the mainstay of treatment and management is specific allergen avoidance and, failing this, long-term, low-dose inhaled or topically applied steroids (cortisone) together with non-sedating antihistamine medication.

Antihistamines have advanced and are now more specific to the histamine receptors in our tissues and less prone to unwanted side-effects, such as sedation and drying of mucous membranes.

Inhaled and topical (applied to skin) steroids have also become more targeted and are now less likely to cause systemic effects, such as growth problems in children and osteoporosis or cataracts in adults.

Treating inflammation
Theophylline tablets have all but been withdrawn from use in treating asthma owing to unpredictable effects and lack of benefit. But a new generation of drugs called phosphodiesterase-4 inhibitors is an exciting development, as these may both open the airways and reduce lung inflammation.

Drugs that act on specific chemicals involved in allergic inflammation are being developed (they are now widely available). These include leukotriene receptor antagonists, such as montelukast and zafirlukast, which block the effects of leukotrienes, the chemicals that promote allergic inflammation.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2011 10:25:24 by horizon »

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #13482 on: 01/06/2011 12:48:21 »
The nature.com article was discussed on this forum before.
I bought it and, apart from the first paragraph that talks about the urinary thing (I can't remember they are in Dr W's papers, or are they?) it is a summary of Dr W. papers.
I can send it to you if you PM me your mail. I am not going to post as there may be rights on.

Thanks Rock. I don't have to read if you say there is nothing new in the article.

Van, I already sent it to you, as I already had you e-mail address.

@ Demo, thanks again, though it was Jim_B who first found the article.

Offline Vandemolen3

• View Profile
« Reply #13483 on: 01/06/2011 14:31:30 »
To the members who don't think POIS is about allergies. How do you explain the itchy feeling in the p. after an O.? And the p. also gets red on the end of the urethra? Well at least I have these symptoms.

Rock27, thanks!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13484 on: 01/06/2011 16:28:25 »
Van, I have an immediate POIS reaction of a stuffy nose (nasal congestion).

I think I and some of the others here only have problems with the TERM "allergy".

There was another term used recently that some people are more comfortable with.

Hyper-reactive immune response sounds much better!

It's only a terminology question, Van.
« Last Edit: 02/06/2011 01:15:32 by demografx »

Offline Vandemolen3

• View Profile
« Reply #13485 on: 01/06/2011 16:43:23 »
The next step?
We have:
1. Our own website
We alsmost have:
2. A POIS fund
In the future?
3. A POIS foundation

I think the next step is a foundation for POIS patients. Can be for the US or UK only, or worldwide. A foundation with a professional director. And maybe 1 or 2 co-workers. This persons don't have to be POIS-patients, but must collect money, bring the attention on POIS, answer question of new POIS-patients. Just like the foundations of people with heart problems. But it's all about money if we can go on.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13486 on: 01/06/2011 17:12:43 »
I wrote the following post on the SMF board.

Quote from: Daveman
We are going to be beginning the task of defining an investigation route for the future of POIS, which will be undertaken by very well trained and experienced researchers. But we need to have our route defined and know what we want before we enter the process. We will need to present a united front

I'm going to open another Board under "POIS Cause/Treatment Discussions"->"Investigation Areas"

It will have 4 main threads (topiscs).
  • New Concepts for Discussion
  • Approved for Investigation
  • Further Discussion for Approval
  • Disapproved for Investigation

This topic we are discussing above is an excellent candidate for Investigations. We should move or copy the principal posts to the "New Concepts for Discussion" thread.

Once we have a concensis we will enter the principal information for the topic to the corresponding thread below.

This information will be available both for us and any investigator who may be interested in seeing what is going on with POIS.

The idea is that this area will be a little more formal. I put the "new concepts" thread where we can "battle it out", but once it's moved to a respective category, it should be almost more informational, organised in a fashion for reference.

Give me today to get it set up, thanks

« Last Edit: 01/06/2011 17:21:36 by daveman »

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #13487 on: 01/06/2011 17:32:41 »
Did you already heard about "luteolin" ???

Luteolin has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anti-cancer and immunomodulatory properties to suppress the overactive immune system.

It is found in olive oil, and some got improvement with it ! It is now a pill which is so much more efficient for auto-immune reaction.

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13488 on: 01/06/2011 19:23:46 »
we really need to know if non-POISers react to their own semen asap (previous post i made about testicular privilege seemed to suggest they would). surely the main risk with desensization, as somebodys doctor said, it could be messing with your natural immune response for no reason, if POIS is not semen allergy. im not convinced we all have this "semen-getting-into-blood" problem after ejaculation.

1899-1900 Sperm recognized as immunogenic (will cause an autoimmune reaction if transplanted from the testis into a different area of the body) by Lansteiner (1899) and Metchinikoff, (1900)
Immune privilege in the testis
Sperm are immunogenic - that is they will cause an autoimmune reaction if transplanted from the testis into a different part of the body. This has been demonstrated in experiments using rats by Lansteiner (1899) and Metchinikoff (1900) , mice and guinea pigs . The likely reason for this is that sperm first mature at puberty, after immune tolerance is established, therefore the body recognizes them as foreign and mounts an immune reaction against them. Since sperm do not die in the testis, mechanisms for their protection must exist in this organ. The blood-testis barrier is likely to contribute to the survival of sperm. However, it is believed in the field of testicular immunology that the blood-testis barrier cannot account for all immune suppression in the testis, due to (1) its incompleteness at a region called the rete testis and (2) the presence of immunogenic molecules outside the blood-testis barrier, on the surface of spermatogonia . Another mechanism which is likely to protect sperm is the suppression of immune responses in the testis . Both the suppression of immune responses and the increased survival of grafts in the testis have led to its recognition as an immunologically privileged site. Other immunologically privileged sites include the eye, brain and uterus.

http://www.reference.com/browse/testicular+immunology
« Last Edit: 01/06/2011 19:36:39 by horizon »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13489 on: 01/06/2011 19:52:34 »

We really need to know if non-POISers react to their own semen asap...

Definitely!!

Offline Vandemolen3

• View Profile
« Reply #13490 on: 01/06/2011 20:50:34 »
I wish that I was an X-man with healing powers. After every O. I could heal myself. :)

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13491 on: 01/06/2011 20:51:47 »
that would make a XXX-Man

Offline Vandemolen3

• View Profile
« Reply #13492 on: 01/06/2011 23:29:16 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13493 on: 02/06/2011 02:06:44 »

News from the new forum on POIS-research funding!
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=125.0

I've been putting a lot of thought into this and I'd like to pledge a $5,000 donation.

That is so fantastic! Thank you, B_Daniel!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13494 on: 02/06/2011 02:10:23 »
B_Daniel's pledge encouraged me to pledge as well, I will call in a modest amount to NORD for POIS-research, using my credit card.

I encourage everyone to join me and do the same for this wonderful new road we're on to cure POIS!!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13495 on: 02/06/2011 02:16:22 »
Guys...we need to raise $33,500.

For details, please read the posts on NORD funding at:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=125.0

Thanking you all  in advance!
« Last Edit: 02/06/2011 02:18:58 by demografx »

Offline Vandemolen3

• View Profile
« Reply #13496 on: 02/06/2011 02:42:34 »
If there are more visitors on the new website we can find sponsors for the website. And maybe on the homepage a link how to give money.

I am sure that a lot of us will give what they can afford. But the most money we can raise is from sponsors like companies. And maybe a grant from a government.

In The Netherlands there is the ZZF, a fund for rare diseasses. They sellect each year a few projects. They give money to research. Maybe there are more funds and foundations in the US and the UK.

http://www.zzf.nl
« Last Edit: 02/06/2011 03:07:37 by Vandemolen3 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13497 on: 02/06/2011 03:01:50 »
« Last Edit: 02/06/2011 03:04:24 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #13498 on: 02/06/2011 03:51:38 »
I'd like to pledge $1,000 towards research.

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #13499 on: 02/06/2011 10:46:36 »
Speaking purely for myself, I would like most to see:

1) A repeat of Waldingers test but including non-POIS volunteers
- Ideally Dr.W could test 10+ non-poisers with the same procedure as his original 33 man one, i think this is unlikely though(?), will he want to disprove/prove his own study?
- A better idea could be to get a U.S based doctor who has already had a positive skinprick test done on a forum member. like Dr.Bewtra for example.
Get 10 Non-POIS and 10 POIS
or even better 20 Non-POIS and 20 POIS
They dont have to be equal as its the "percentage that test positive" thats important,
..But I feel if we only get non-POIS to compare with Waldingers original 33 man test then I can see us being in the same old position- doubting the results, wondering whether they are correct, comparing the different methods (the method will be different in some way), ratios etc..
Lets just do a new fair test comparing both NonPOIS and POIS under the SAME conditions.
Hopefully Dr Waldinger wont see this as a form of descent or backstabbing, its purely science!

Surely this wouldnt cost anything near $33k, its a couple of hours work for one/two allergist plus a bit of money for volunteers.
When advertising for non-POIS volunteers it should read recently a rare illness has been been linked to an allergy of a natural protein found in the body, we need volunteers that dont have this rare illness to prove they test negative, i.e male volunteers are needed for an allergy test
dont tell them about semen! until they are face to face with the doctor!

Maybe NORD can organise this test?

2)A couple of POISers to test out Monoclonal Antibody therapy
I know its new on the forum, but it does say its meant to "stop allergic attack dead in the tracks", sounds exciting.

« Last Edit: 02/06/2011 20:22:34 by horizon »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13499 on: 02/06/2011 10:46:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums