The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6430764 times)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #1350 on: 24/09/2008 01:47:32 »
Just to inform you, a letter was sent today to the tcm clinic in Germany. Thanks a lot to Girlwind who helped me for english and content ! You'll recognize her touch. I hope i'll have a positive answer but i'm not sure.
Dear Person,
I am a participant on an internet forum about science whose objective has been to find answers and treatment for a serious debilitating health condition called post orgasmic illness syndrome (pois). http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.0 
In the year since it began, this particular forum thread has had over 100 people posting on it about their experiences, most of them at their wits end with frustration at the often unsympathetic and unhelpful responses they've received from both medical doctors and alternative health providers.
As I understand, TCM does recognize a condition described as very similar. So my question to you is this: Could it be possible to communicate directly by email with a doctor from your clinic regarding this condition? I could provide you with even more information, if it's needed, and I'm willing to pay for this communication if that is necessary, if you would provide a list of fees with your response.
Thanks a lot for your help. Have a nice day.

Offline Nick_B_85

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: 24/09/2008 02:24:07 »
My best success at celibacy has come when I framed orgasm always in my mind as "horrible and hateful" rather than "delightful though obnoxious." It's important to keep busy; to keep the mind from wandering. I can stay celibate when I work about 70% of my waking day, weekends included. If one is sure to go to bed physically exhausted there isn't much energy left for erotic thoughts or sex acts.

I believe that if one thinks of sexual abstinence in terms of a fierce battle of life against death, not of a playful game of temptation and refusal with a guilty pleasure, his mind will not betray him, even in sleep.

There's no way to fully avoid thoughts of sex, but if one doesn't let his mind grasp onto them and run away with them, he won't find himself regretting yet another orgasm.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: 24/09/2008 03:22:36 »
Counterpoints, are you sometimes very hungry, and can't control what you eat and when ? When i had the same symptoms you have, it was the case. (How old are you if it's permitted to ask ?) I think long session of sport (endurance) will help you. Fibers can help(intestinal transit and remove zinc).  Try not taking too much vitamin E, iodine, salt, protein, b6, zinc, ginseng ...(if you absolutely want to take multivitamins take one for children) . For me an extremely low dose of salt cause insomnia when i'm sexually abstinent, and usually it's harder to control when you don't sleep enough. In a medical book i have, they say salt is antagonistic to bromine (bromine was given to people in their military service to help with sexual urge)
If someone give you one million dollar to stop having orgasms you'll stop right now. It's also will power, and focus on other things as other people said. If this is not enough there is a homeopathic remedy very effective for me and it seems to be safe.
« Last Edit: 24/09/2008 03:27:31 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: 24/09/2008 03:33:03 »
martin88, best wishes with the letter!
« Last Edit: 24/09/2008 03:34:54 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: 24/09/2008 03:46:58 »
Martin88, I am often very hungry, and am somewhat of an impulsive eater.  (I am not at all overweight though).  Thanks for the advice.  Unlike many people here, insomnia is not one of my problems.  POIS does not make it harder for me to sleep.  Prolonged lack of orgasm can make it somewhat more difficult, but that is normal enough.  Thanks again for the suggestions, and good work with your letter.

Nick B, thanks for your response.  However, I don't believe it is healthy to think of orgasm as "horrible and hateful". This certainly would contribute to any negative post-orgasm experiences. 

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: 24/09/2008 05:49:32 »
Thanks Demografx and Counterpoints, you have written a lot more than me here. Counterpoints, i think it can be a good start to eat regularly and healthy, not more than 2 or 3 times a day and at the same hour. This should reduce the desire and make you more focused.

Offline philfoot

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: 24/09/2008 12:07:42 »
Hi All

Searching the net because of a problem that has arisen.  Not sure if what I have experienced falls into this section or not.  Therefore please be patient with me, and hopefully someone out there can help with trying to establish what it is and what can be done about it.

The other day sun shining etc. etc. everything was fine until orgasm, then nothing or at least I do not remember a thing, I had an orgasm, I got the tissues and lay back, but not a thing I remember.  After about 5 minutes I was aware that we had done something, but couldn't recall a thing.  Slowly some information came back right up until the orgasm but not after that.

I felt generally bad, I had a headache but not splitting, my brain felt almost light headed, a strange feeling, which I do find difficult to explain.  I feel/felt very tired have a lot of naps, and have slept well after the episode.

It all happened on sunday and as I write this it is now 3 days ago, I still have the light headed feeling, my headache comes and goes.  I have been to my GP who has discounted any form of TIA, which is good, but is sending me for more in-depth tests just in case.

This is the first major event like this, although I do remember a while ago I had a similar event but it was only minor, and I just brushed it aside.  We have had  normal relations since that first time, and nothing until sunday whcih is far more major

I am not asking for a clinical diagnosis, but was wondering if anyone else has expereiced this and can shed any light on it.

Many thanks for your time and attention, and look forward to your response.

Kind regards

Phil

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: 24/09/2008 16:06:26 »
PHILFOOT, wecome to the POIS Forum! Not 100% sure, but it seems like POIS to me, and we have come up with treatments here, in the early stages. Please read through the posts.

I would also recommend that you see the POIS video at:

And if you fill out this form, our researchers can eventually better assist you:
http://pois.olympe-network.com

« Last Edit: 24/09/2008 18:53:25 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: 25/09/2008 01:11:07 »
Phil, I actually don't think this is POIS.  It sounds like post-coital headache.  My first thought was "see a doctor", until I saw that you had.  Perhaps follow up with another doctor to be sure?  Don't panic, but certainly have this investigated.  It is probably harmless, but it's not worth the risk of assuming such.  Did you have your blood pressure taken?  Also, how old are you?

It could also be that you were just overly exposed to light.  I have sometimes gotten terrible headaches after being out for a long time on a particularly sunny day.  They have lasted up to 3 days. 
« Last Edit: 25/09/2008 01:13:45 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: 25/09/2008 02:42:58 »
Haven't we seen headaches before? I agree, it doesn't fit the usual pattern, but even that varies significantly.

I wouldn't rule out POIS so quickly. Besides, we don't have exact consensus here as to POIS definition, except that it's (1) POST orgasmic, and (2) lasts for DAYS.

« Last Edit: 25/09/2008 03:01:32 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: 25/09/2008 03:00:25 »
Yes, we have [edit: seen headaches before], demografx.  I suppose it will soon be obvious whether or not this is POIS; I'm not ruling it out, it just seems as though it is one of the less likely possibilities.  The description strikes me as a different, and more common problem.  Orgasm has caused aneurisms, strokes, aggravated heart conditions, etc.  Orgasm itself is not usually dangerous in these ways, but it can precipitate an underlying condition.  I have seen a case of this in the hospital, first hand.  And there is also post-coital headache.  The fact Phil mentioned sunlight also made me think he could be sensitive to prolonged and intense light exposure.  That is common enough.  In the end, I think this is probably a minor, passing, difficulty, but is worth consulting with a doctor over.  Anyways, this was my line of thought.

« Last Edit: 25/09/2008 08:06:21 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: 25/09/2008 03:03:22 »
Yes, I agree, consulting the doctor with this is important.

btw, I modified my post above.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: 26/09/2008 03:00:19 »
I hate to be always pessimistic here!
Seaweed are great to remove heavy metals from the body, but have also the property to absorb heavy metals from their environment, so it's necessary to buy from a trusted source, or better, to have it tested for heavy metals.
http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2006/January/20010601.asp
By the way, i saw some posts talking about tyrosine and phenylalanine. From this page they say both can cause skin cancer in long term use.
http://www.beatcfsandfms.org/html/NaStrategy.html
Unfortunately pois have this sad consequence to push us to do a lot of unusual things we'd have never done if we were healthy.
« Last Edit: 27/09/2008 01:29:27 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: 26/09/2008 03:40:49 »
I hate the fact to be always pessimistic here!
Not pessimistic, Martin, realistic! As you say, desperate people sometimes do desperate things. We need to be careful. That's why I always stress warnings about trying my personal cure.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: 26/09/2008 05:30:48 »
I was talking to an MD PhD physician who specializes in sexual disorders, etc.  He said he has seen 4 people with POIS in his practice.  He recognizes it as a legitimate condition, and he has also read Waldinger's paper.  He said 3 of the people improved with Wellbutrin, but all of them eventually discontinued the drug anyways...
« Last Edit: 26/09/2008 05:35:22 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: 26/09/2008 05:53:39 »
Motor Control.

I remember Demografx saying something about playing the piano.  I am also a pianist.  I've noticed that my motor control is not affected by POIS.  My playing technique is not substantially affected.  Has anyone here noticed loss of motor control?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: 26/09/2008 12:08:03 »
I'm also a pianist (used to be), we have now 3 cases playing piano! I can play  piano in pois, and i don't think motor control is affected, however i lose tempo, feeling, and pleasure to play.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: 26/09/2008 15:22:54 »
I'm also a pianist (used to be), we have now 3 cases playing piano! I can play  piano in pois, and i don't think motor control is affected, however i lose tempo, feeling, and pleasure to play.

I'm a guitar player, and fatigue from CFS and POIS does affect my playing. What's affected most is tempo and
finger picking coordination.  On bad CFS days I have poor coordination over all and easily drop things, spill
things, trip and mis-navigate corners, sometimes walking into walls. Also I tend to be forgetful, and have left
food on the stove, to burn down to unrecognizable chunks of black, destroying many pots and pans. A few
times I left eggs to boil, while I busied myself on the computer, and after the water had boiled away, about an
hour later, they actually exploded, hitting the adjacent wall. After many such I Love Lucy moments, my
boyfriend bought me a toaster oven with a timed automatic shut-off, as well as a cooking timer, which I
sometimes remember to use.  :)
« Last Edit: 26/09/2008 15:38:06 by girlwind »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: 26/09/2008 16:48:45 »
Motor Control.

I remember Demografx saying something about playing the piano.  I am also a pianist.  I've noticed that my motor control is not affected by POIS.  My playing technique is not substantially affected.  Has anyone here noticed loss of motor control?

When in POIS I'm completely discouraged from playing the piano. It's strictly emotional, though. I don't really want to do ANYTHING in POIS.

btw, Welbutrin had an immediate effect on me, and it was all bad. One try and I quit.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: 26/09/2008 17:56:17 »
we have now 3 cases playing piano!
Just as I suspected: Piano playing causes POIS! ;D
« Last Edit: 26/09/2008 20:33:17 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: 26/09/2008 19:02:53 »
Demografx, you couldn't possibly know whether Wellbutrin can help you or not after "one try". 

I think this is a medication worth testing for a decent duration of time, if the results are so promising.  Of course, there is also likely a reason these people are discontinuing use anyways.  Do they get better without it?  Or do they just hate the side effects?  It's worth finding out more.

It makes sense that Wellbutrin could have an effect on this condition, since it is both a dopamine and epinephrine reuptake inhibitor.  We have discussed the possibility that a dopamine depletion could be responsible for these symptoms.  We have also discussed the relevance of catecholamines, like epinephrine.
« Last Edit: 26/09/2008 19:04:51 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: 26/09/2008 19:07:40 »
Demo, you say you are discouraged from playing the piano.  I am too, when I feel symptomatic.  But can you still play a scale quickly and without making mistakes?  That was my question...  I am wondering whether motor control loss is a notable symptom or not.  I don't play piano as musically when I am symptomatic -- like Martin said, the feeling
and thoughtfulness is somewhat lost.  But my technique does not substantially suffer.

To those who don't play a musical instrument, here is an interesting experiment.  When you are not symptomatic, take a typing test.  e.g. at http://www.typingtest.com/default.asp.  Take it about 5 times, and write down each of your scores.

Then when you are symptomatic, go back to that test.  Take it 5 times, and write down your scores.
Then try a new typing test, and take it 5 times, and write down your scores.

The results should be interesting.
« Last Edit: 26/09/2008 19:11:23 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: 26/09/2008 20:44:30 »
Counterpoints, I am not putting down Wellbutrin for anyone else! It's not "scientific" but I just had such a violently bad reaction that no one could pay me enough to try it again!

I posted elsewhere here what one of my psychiatrists said about antidepressants as an example: even though all the SSRI antidepressants work to block re-uptake of serotonin, no one really knows why they all work differently for different people, e.g., Zoloft might work for one person, not for another, yet Effexor might work where Zoloft does not.

But no thanks, I will pass on "science" for a repeat bout with Wellbutrin...for ME. Besides, I have a formula that works for me now.

Again, I wouldn't discourage anyone to find out if Wellbutrin can work for them.
« Last Edit: 26/09/2008 21:00:00 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: 26/09/2008 20:48:14 »
Demo, you say you are discouraged from playing the piano.  I am too, when I feel symptomatic.  But can you still play a scale quickly and without making mistakes?
I play blues and boogie woogie, highly improvisationally, and the "emotional input" is more critical than the speed and the precision.

POIS destroys the former.

I haven't fully tested it, but my guess is that the precision and speed is there.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: 27/09/2008 01:51:42 »
i'm also a bass guitar player (6 strings) girlwind.
Four musicians, we're not so far to create the pois band!

Just as I suspected: Piano playing causes POIS! ;D
me too !  ;) ;D

It would have been interesting to understand why you have had this reaction with wellbutrin.

Counterpoints, speed is not affected for me while playing, but i can't play for long because of fatigue in fingers, and mental.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1374 on: 27/09/2008 01:51:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums