The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6458217 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 01/07/2011 19:12:24 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #13801 on: 01/07/2011 17:36:33 »

Offline silverandcol

• View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: 01/07/2011 18:57:05 »
I am getting wet dreams just because I`m afraid of getting one.. How to deal with this situation?

What I try to do is plan a schedule where I have dates that I can ejaculate safetly periodicly to keep from having night dreams.  Something like 2-3 weeks works for me.  If I can manage a dry ejaculation it's even better as the symptoms are significantly reduced while keeping night emissions at bay.  It's still pretty hard tho.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: 01/07/2011 23:34:45 »
I am getting wet dreams just because I`m afraid of getting one.. How to deal with this situation?
Have you tried reducing the amount of food you eat throught the day and watching for fattening oily and spicy foods.  And making sure to eat and drink hours before dinner. I think this might have helped prevented ne for me the last time I healed.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: 02/07/2011 01:25:03 »

POIS Forum search for "wet dream nocturnal emmission" (153 results):

http://www.google.com/search?q=wet+dream+nocturnal+emission+POIS+site:http://thenakedscientists.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

POIS Forum search for "nocturnal emission" (1,710 results):
http://www.google.com/search?q=wet+dream+nocturnal+emission+POIS+site:http://thenakedscientists.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=safari&source=hp&q=nocturnal+emission+POIS+site:http%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c924775ad1dac27b&biw=1067&bih=398

teaching him how to search is good, but...

this may help, Mer.

Appendix A

The following are detailed steps that prevent nocturnal emissions.  This method was developed by a forum member who goes by the username ‘Defsync’.

1)  Train yourself to initiate lucid dreaming by slowly whispering any phrase similar to ‘I will take control of my dreams tonight’ a minimum of 20 times, nightly, before sleeping.  Eventually, you can presumably gain the ability to take conscious control of your dreams.

2)  Obtain a muscle relaxant.  ‘Defsync’ uses Flexeril and claims 2.5mg is sufficient for an average sized adult.  As implied, this drug causes desensitization, and therefore assists in avoiding orgasm.  As with any regular prescription, consult your doctor beforehand.

3)  Strengthen your pubococcygeus muscle by performing Kegel exercises (recommended) or by stopping the flow of urine while urinating (not recommended).

4) Once you have accomplished the above steps, perform the following.  Every night before sleep, take a dose of Flexeril and, a minimum of 10 times, whisper to yourself that you will not have a sexual dream.  If the dream becomes sexual, attempt to take control and alter the dream.  If this fails, wake yourself (if able to) and intensely contract the pubococcygeus muscle for at least 30 seconds to suppress ejaculation.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: 02/07/2011 02:30:53 »
Defsync, thanks. I did think about your writeup, but I couldn't remember where it was located.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: 02/07/2011 09:42:23 »
If this fails, wake yourself (if able to) and intensely contract the pubococcygeus muscle for at least 30 seconds to suppress ejaculation.

I find this makes things much worse....  the symptoms of a suppressed ejaculation are usually much worse than for an actual one, in my case. 

Offline Omen 30

• View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: 02/07/2011 10:53:22 »
If this fails, wake yourself (if able to) and intensely contract the pubococcygeus muscle for at least 30 seconds to suppress ejaculation.

I find this makes things much worse....  the symptoms of a suppressed ejaculation are usually much worse than for an actual one, in my case. 
same here counterpoints if ever i suppress my O then the concequences are worst...pois make smy life hell and the normal recovery time increases from a week to i dont know how long...so i fell its better not to supress it and go for it the normal way,smoothly...

Offline Mutant Man

• View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: 02/07/2011 12:49:15 »
Can anyone please provide me with the legendary Waldinger's papers? I can't seem to find them anywhere....

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: 02/07/2011 15:15:01 »

Hahahaha....I like this - Thought I'd share it.

"Not only is the syndrome not well-known, but many men may feel embarrassed. They shouldn't! Rather, they should just think positive: maybe their semen is just extra-powerful."

From an Internet Report on POIS.
http://jezebel.com/5736771/post+orgasm-illness-sounds-awful

So Guys. We've just got Extra Strong Semen! Problem Solved.

jivetalk, let's get out there and sell "Jivetalk's Secret-Formula Semen Thinner®"

We'll make a fortune! ;D
Yes, but even better - Forget the fortune - Lets just donate it all to NORD and find a damn cure for this thing! :-)

Offline Omen 30

• View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: 02/07/2011 16:50:16 »

"Not only is the syndrome not well-known, but many men may feel embarrassed. They shouldn't! Rather, they should just think positive: maybe their semen is just extra-powerful."

jivetalk, let's get out there and sell "Jivetalk's Secret-Formula Semen Thinner®"

We'll make a fortune! ;D
Yes, but even better - Forget the fortune - Lets just donate it all to NORD and find a damn cure for this thing! :-)
yeah...thats right...theres definately a cure for this "tough nut to crack" illness...and we gotta find it...so that the next generation doesnt suffer from it...and can have sex without restrictions...

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: 02/07/2011 20:18:57 »
What happened?  Last time I checked this "forum" the conversation had moved to a real forum with sections etc.  Is that still happening? 

I have been doing OK in general with ejaculating only once per 2 weeks. I still get 2 or 3 days of being less than 100% (maybe 70% - mostly being mentally unfocused), but no more horrible depressive states and nightmares. A little anxiety and weak digestive problems. The only big change I did was to go from about once a week to once every 2 weeks, sometimes 3 weeks even if I feel stressed at work.

But today I feel the POIS a little bit and I thought I would check back here to read some of the newer posts. I was surprised to end up here at the Naked Science Forum.

UPDATE: I found it at http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php

UPDATE 2: the link does not seem to work at this time but it was fine one hour ago. I am starting to think that I cannot get there because I am suffering from POIS right now and my brain is too foggy :-)  When I feel like that I have to remind myself that I am a standing member of MENSA since 1989 and that I actually have a brilliant mind. It just goes on vacation by itself sometimes...

Could I suggest to add that new forum URL to that page: http://sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite/home   Honestly the Naked Science page is filled with fantastic information and testimonials but it is also cumbersome and somewhat repetitive to have it all in one single thread of more than 10,000 messages I believe!

Many thanks to all who are contributing here or there!  I am leaving for a little vacation at the cottage with the family (including my very sweet and understanding wife of 25 years) - I'll check back when I return.

Pablo
« Last Edit: 02/07/2011 21:15:50 by Pablo445 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: 03/07/2011 02:28:03 »

Can anyone please provide me with the legendary Waldinger's papers? I can't seem to find them anywhere....

I'll send them...The Legend is nowhere to be found....again...sigh.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: 03/07/2011 02:33:14 »

We'll make a fortune! ;D

yeah...thats right...theres definately a cure for this "tough nut to crack" illness...and we gotta find it...so that the next generation doesnt suffer from it...and can have sex without restrictions...

jivetalk - - and bitu8489 - - I commend you both HIGHLY on a Terrific Spirit For The Final Slaying of....The POIS Monster!!!

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: 03/07/2011 04:40:41 »
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome vs POIS -- Similar but Very Different!

Hello All,

Daveman and Demografx have suggested that it might be helpful to address the issue of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) vs POIS.

CFS is mentioned quite a bit on both forums, and some of you have been given a CSF diagnosis (likely by well-meaning physicians who have no knowledge of POIS). So, it's probably really worthwhile to separate the two conditions out -- because they are entirely separate and different -- despite some similarities in symptoms.

I'm posting this same message on both forums.

NORD has a great report on CFS, which is where I'm getting my information from.  I trust the information, know who wrote it, and know that it's accurate and up-to-date.

To begin, CFS is a real disorder and, like POIS, is not a psychiatric condition. It affects somewhere between 1 to 4 million people in the US (so it's not considered "rare" in the US anymore), and also affects more women than men, statistically.

CFS appears to be less common overseas but definitely exists worldwide. The possibility that it is less common overseas may be more of a reporting requirement issue than the actually reality, particularly in those countries that do not have the resources and/or reporting requirements of the US.

There are  three major broad criteria now used to diagnose CFS. (It had become apparent that CFS was being over-diagnosed, as its symptoms mimic some symptoms of other disorders.) These criteria were determined by an international group of physicians brought together by the Centers for Disease Control in the US:

(1) The individual must have severe chronic fatigue of six months or longer duration AND have no other known medical conditions that are known to cause fatigue  (i.e no hypothyroidism, diabetes, malnutrition, cancer, HIV, etc);

(2) Concurrently, the individual must have four or more of the following symptoms:
  --   substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration;
  --   sore throat; tender lymph nodes;
  --   muscle pain;
  --   multi-joint pain without swelling or redness;
  --   headaches of a new type, pattern or severity;
  --   unrefreshing sleep;
  -    post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.

(3) The listed symptoms (above) must have persisted or recurred during six or more consecutive months, and must not have been present prior to the onset of the chronic fatigue.

So, there are some symptoms that are very similar to those of POIS, but -- THE BIG, MAJOR DIFFERENCE is that CFS is not induced by ejaculation, sexual stimulation, tumescence, or dry ejaculation.  CSF is not associated in any way with ejaculation.

Scientists think that either a virus or an immunological issue is involved in CSF. Also, there is some serious data that suggests  that pro-inflammatory cytokinines may be involved.  (Cytokinines usually help with inflammation -- but pro-inflammatory ones have been discovered -- and they cause the inflammation).

There are some excellent immunologists studying pro-inflammatory cytokinines, and they will be among the researchers who NORD invites to apply for your grant for POIS research, once the funds have been raised.  The focus will be -- of course -- strictly POIS, and not any other disorder.  Based on experience with all rare disorders and start-up research grants (which can sometimes lead directly to the answer!), looking "outside the box" is the key to unlocking the door.

I hope that this post is helpful to some or all of you!

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #13815 on: 03/07/2011 22:40:42 »
What happened?  Last time I checked this "forum" the conversation had moved to a real forum with sections etc.  Is that still happening? 

Pablo, the new forum, the POIS Center, is up and running and is getting better every day!  But the latest development is that we're raising money to fund a research grant!  The research grant, through NORD (National Organization of Rare Disorders), will provide the funds to investigate the specific cause of our POIS symptoms.  Individually, there is nothing you can do on your own to eliminate POIS, short of undergoing a complete castration or completely avoiding sexual contact / NEs.  But together, through this grant, we can reach the $33,500 minimum for a research fund and we can finally get on the FAST-TRACK towards finding a CURE.  It starts with each of us.  Please donate here: http://www.rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations/fg_base_view_p3
« Last Edit: 03/07/2011 22:43:37 by B_Daniel »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #13816 on: 03/07/2011 22:44:23 »
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome vs POIS -- Similar but Very Different!

VERY helpful, interesting explanation, Nordnurse!!!   

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13817 on: 04/07/2011 00:25:28 »

Pablo, the new forum, the POIS Center, is up and running and is getting better every day!  But the latest development is that we're raising money to fund a research grant!  The research grant, through NORD (National Organization of Rare Disorders), will provide the funds to investigate the specific cause of our POIS symptoms.  Individually, there is nothing you can do on your own to eliminate POIS, short of undergoing a complete castration or completely avoiding sexual contact / NEs.  But together, through this grant, we can reach the $33,500 minimum for a research fund and we can finally get on the FAST-TRACK towards finding a CURE.  It starts with each of us.  Please donate here: http://www.rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations/fg_base_view_p3

Thanks B_Daniel, and for the reminder of how important it is that we donate toward a definitive answer to the POIS delema.

According to Google, the new forum is registering 22,500 pageviews per month. Certain combinations of searches, particularly words contained in page Category titles, can solicit a first page view of the new forum on Google.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13818 on: 04/07/2011 14:55:28 »
Got out my calculator.

If we had 1 cent per new forum page view, we'd have our minimum donation within 6 months!!
« Last Edit: 04/07/2011 16:17:53 by daveman »

Offline POIS1441

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13819 on: 04/07/2011 21:05:49 »

Hello.

My name is Dmitry. I from Russia.

I could find a medicine from POIS. I have tested it on myself and the friends. And it works. All negative processes are filtered and inspected. I badly speak in English, therefore in some days I will ask to publish the translator the expanded material about my research.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: 04/07/2011 22:35:12 »

POIS1441, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the file for that TV documentary, "Desperate Measures", which can be downloaded and played. The segment starts at about 12:20..
http://www.fileserve.com/file/cUtJa9R/TITLE01.mp4

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,000,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline POIS1441

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13821 on: 04/07/2011 22:50:19 »
demografx, thanks!

newbielink:http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/ [nonactive]

I am register here and awaiting admin account approval.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #13822 on: 04/07/2011 22:53:07 »

hmmm well Ive enver had a suppressed one ever equal the severity of a full one. At most maybe 1/4th the effects, but no more.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #13823 on: 05/07/2011 00:32:48 »

Hello.

I could find a medicine from POIS. I have tested it on myself and the friends. And it works. All negative processes are filtered and inspected. I badly speak in English, therefore in some days I will ask to publish the translator the expanded material about my research.

Dmitry, don't keep us in suspense!  What medicine do you believe works?  I'll beg! (notice how desperate I have become :)

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #13824 on: 05/07/2011 01:15:38 »

Hello.

Dmitry, don't keep us in suspense!  What medicine do you believe works?  I'll beg! (notice how desperate I have become :)

I'm Begging Too! :-)

Or, please just sen the materials in Russian. I will have my personal translator look through it (google).
« Last Edit: 05/07/2011 01:21:30 by jivetalk »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13824 on: 05/07/2011 01:15:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length