The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6455313 times)

Offline Green

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14025 on: 13/07/2011 18:46:19 »
^^

The figure is actually higher :D

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14026 on: 13/07/2011 22:34:26 »

Green, because of the wonderful pledges?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14027 on: 14/07/2011 02:54:07 »
"Your Semen Could Be Your Worst Enemy"  ;D (now I've heard it all!)  ;D
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/your-health/25050-your-semen-could-be-your-worst-enemy

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14028 on: 14/07/2011 05:07:28 »
POIS Donor Database System (PDDS)

You may have just noticed an email appeal in your inbox from us.

This is the culmination - AND beginning - of a database marketing system that has been months in the making, and has finally been LAUNCHED!

The database includes 326 known POIS sufferers, going back as far as 2007, to the beginnings of this forum. But it also includes survey respondents from Counterpoints' research survey, and members from the other forum at www.POISCenter.com .

Apart from my modest contribution, let's all give a big, warm congratulations to The PDDS Team:

daveman

Martin88

rock27

nordnurse (a/k/a Stefanie from NORD)

This is a major event for us, as we now have a database system in place as sophisticated as any MAJOR fundraiser I've ever worked with, such as Amnesty International, CARE, and March of DIMES.

This is an ongoing effort and will include donor campaigns, newsletters, and much more, so stay tuned!

« Last Edit: 16/07/2011 23:30:28 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14029 on: 14/07/2011 05:13:55 »

Research Fund Total: $2,685.00

Please read about it at:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=97a0a767229bfcd7b6822ec05c6c0160&topic=125.0

Then help yourself! by donating here:
http://www.rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations/fg_base_view_p3

Thank you very, very much, everyone!!

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: 14/07/2011 16:29:14 »
Hello All,

There is one note of major clarification needed regarding the post by Demografx about the email appeal.

Demo wrote, "Apart from my modest contribution, let's all give a big, warm congratulations to The PDDS Team..."

FYI, there was nothing MODEST about Demo's contibution. not even slightly modest about his contribution.  He was full steam ahead on this -- totally involved and a major driving force!

That's Demografx -- never wishing to take the limelight and always boosting up the others.

We won't let him get away with it!!! :)

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14031 on: 14/07/2011 17:08:08 »
Another part of my histamine theory which corelates with Demografx case:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1665824/

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: 14/07/2011 17:51:13 »
I think every potential cure as a huge link with histamine release as a neurotransmitter anyways. Testosterone, Vitamine PP (niacin B3), diet, sunlight...I guess Now we have to find which one is the most efficient to balance it.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: 14/07/2011 19:18:53 »

Habibou, very interesting, until your post directly above mine here, I didn't see the connection between the various treatment theories and histamine release > neurotransmitter performance.

Thank you for the concise explanation!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14034 on: 14/07/2011 19:23:06 »

Hello All,

There is one note of major clarification needed regarding the post by Demografx about the email appeal.

Demo wrote, "Apart from my modest contribution, let's all give a big, warm congratulations to The PDDS Team..."

FYI, there was nothing MODEST about Demo's contibution. not even slightly modest about his contribution.  He was full steam ahead on this -- totally involved and a major driving force!

That's Demografx -- never wishing to take the limelight and always boosting up the others.

We won't let him get away with it!!! :)

<blushing>            Thank you, Stefanie!

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14035 on: 14/07/2011 20:23:15 »
You are welcome demo !  :)
Histamine are 2 things  =  neurotransmitters (for the brain cells) / the histamine stocked in every other cells of the body which detects the allergen.

The release implies (among many others)=

- important release of adrenaline/noradrenaline (mine were very high 2 hours after the O)
- tachycardia
- the contraction of respiratory ducts (which could explain the narrow throat, the lack of   oxygen into the cells which could create muscle pain (myalgia)but also lack of oxygen in the brain cells which could create brain fog if it lasts too long time.
- the contraction of digestive ducts (which could explain the diarrhoea)and nausea, gastric reflux, belly pain.

Perhaps, the "allergic reaction due to the fact the semen stays inside the body implies a release (during a long time) of histamine, which implies the disorders above" but also "the long lasting release of noradrenaline (which is the case in my blood tests) which creates a mental exhaustion in the first place (same as brain fog).

The semen stays inside the body could explain the long lasting release of histamine (which creates a lack of it after some time) explains why a simple "antihistamine" isn't enough. This creates a neurotransmitters disorder (unbalance) and the cognitive symptoms so.
This matches and seems clear with my own case!

Histamine is linked with many others neurotransmitters,
« Last Edit: 14/07/2011 20:26:56 by Habibou »

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14036 on: 15/07/2011 08:59:25 »
You are welcome demo !  :)
Histamine are 2 things  =  neurotransmitters (for the brain cells) / the histamine stocked in every other cells of the body which detects the allergen.

The release implies (among many others)=

- important release of adrenaline/noradrenaline (mine were very high 2 hours after the O)
- tachycardia
- the contraction of respiratory ducts (which could explain the narrow throat, the lack of   oxygen into the cells which could create muscle pain (myalgia)but also lack of oxygen in the brain cells which could create brain fog if it lasts too long time.
- the contraction of digestive ducts (which could explain the diarrhoea)and nausea, gastric reflux, belly pain.

Perhaps, the "allergic reaction due to the fact the semen stays inside the body implies a release (during a long time) of histamine, which implies the disorders above" but also "the long lasting release of noradrenaline (which is the case in my blood tests) which creates a mental exhaustion in the first place (same as brain fog).

The semen stays inside the body could explain the long lasting release of histamine (which creates a lack of it after some time) explains why a simple "antihistamine" isn't enough. This creates a neurotransmitters disorder (unbalance) and the cognitive symptoms so.
This matches and seems clear with my own case!

Histamine is linked with many others neurotransmitters,

Wow, thank you Habibou, this idea looks very very truthful to me. This hypothesis explains everything, every my symptom.
If everything is correct then it is really the big dose of Nicotine acid that helps me when I inject XN. And when I will try to do injection of Nictotine acid tomorrow I should have the same relief as with XN.

If you contemplate doing something like this, please consult a qualified medical professional before attempting this on yourself!

Victor
« Last Edit: 15/07/2011 16:52:38 by victor.kons »

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14037 on: 15/07/2011 16:58:52 »
Thank you Victor! I just try to understand...
Look the additional consequences of histamine in the body : (from a french website + google translation)

-increases the power and frequency of the heartbeat (for the release of adrenaline)
-contributes to the onset of vomiting
-regulates the sleep-wake
-cuts appetite
-helps regulate body temperature, blood pressure and pain sensation
-contributes to the production of gastric acid and the functioning of the gastrointestinal  tract
-regulates the hormonal balance
-is a brain neurotransmitter

Also, I found the "histamine intolerance" on this website which appears mainly after :

-physical effort (i get that)
-sudden emotional stress (i get that)
-hormonal fluctuations (my comment :Orgasms make an hormonal fluctuation): Women often develop allergic reactions before the start of menstruation
-Infectious Diseases
-certain medications

High level histamine foods :

-alcoholic beverages (especially red wine, certain types of beer, sake) (my comment:could explain we feel very bad after little alcohol !, we perhaps have normal bad alcohol feeling + histamine intolerance
-Junkfood
-cheese (long uncured)
-sausage: sausage raw, salami, sausage
-meat: pork liver and beef (very high), Parma ham, gendarmes, Bündnerfleisch, bacon (histamine increases with maturation)
-coffee

How does the doctor he diagnosed an intolerance to histamine?
 The collection of detailed medical history (history) is the first step. The physician can help a diary kept by the patient about his diet and its disorders (where when? How?).

In most cases, the doctor recommends an elimination diet(could explain why some arrives to lowerate POIS symptoms by diet?). This is for the patient to follow a diet low in histamine for about four weeks. In people with an intolerance to histamine proven, improvement of symptoms is so rapid. For a definitive diagnosis, the doctor performs a controlled oral challenge test.

The following laboratory tests are performed in the diagnosis of histamine intolerance:

measuring the level of vitamin B6
 measuring the activity of diaminoxydase
 histamine release test (stimulation test)
 measuring the level of histamine in the blood

The administration of vitamin C and vitamin B6 supplements appear to improve symptoms.
 Cromoglicic acid decreases the rate of histamine in the body and slows the release of histamine.

Last thing : The risk is particularly high in people suffering from inflammatory bowel disease or food allergy cross. Very few people suffer from a congenital deficiency of the enzyme.

An excess of histamine can be caused by foods that are themselves rich in histamine or the "histamine release" that induce secretion of histamine by body cells. This results in allergic disorders. (personal case : I have many food intolerances)
sorry for the long post ! ;D
« Last Edit: 15/07/2011 17:04:51 by Habibou »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: 15/07/2011 22:15:32 »

Habibou, very interesting, until your post directly above mine here, I didn't see the connection between the various treatment theories and histamine release > neurotransmitter performance.

Thank you for the concise explanation!

Thanks for expanding on the topic!

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14039 on: 16/07/2011 04:11:23 »
I would have felt guilty if i kept it for myself  :P ...!

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14040 on: 16/07/2011 11:47:44 »
Found on the internet:

Your ability to orgasm (in both men and women) is GREATLY influenced by your body's "blood histamine level"? Oh and by the way...the release of histamine into the blood is also what happens when your body responds to some kind of allergen. SNEEZING therefore can be a bodily response to histamine being released in the body!

I use to share in my college Human Sexuality classes this interesting sexual tidbit from the book Nutrition and Vitamin Therapy written by Dr. Michael Lesser M.D. the father of Orthomolecular Medicine.

"In a study of 28 men, Dr. Carl Pfeiffer found the men's speed of ejaculation was correlated with their blood histamine; the HIGHER the HISTAMINE level the QUICKER the EJACULATION. MEN TOO LOW IN HISTAMINE however cannot attain ejaculation...though erection is no problem."

Similarly, A WOMAN LOW IN HISTAMINE may be UNABLE to achieve orgasm and may be considered frigid. Conversely, men who ejaculate prematurely AND women capable of repeated or sustained orgasm MAY have elevated blood histamine levels!

FYI: Cells containing histamine are concentrated in the head [glans] of the p e n i s. One would infer there is also a concentration of cells containing histamine in the c l i t o r i s since the c l i t o r i s sexually...is the female version of a penis that has been testosterone deprived.

A premature male ejaculator may want to consider taking calcium and the amino acid methionine which lowers histamine...an hour prior to intercourse...or they could take an over the counter ANTI-histamine which also lowers histamine but has some side effects (ie: drowsiness) that calcium and methionine don't have.

An aside thought here: Ladies if you have noticed your ability to orgasm during allergy season becomes more difficult...the cause MAY be the over-the-c0unter antihistamines you take to stop your allergic reactions to allergens. One lady I dated...realized after I told her the need for histamine in order to orgasm...the reason why she could not orgasm during allergy season. The anti-histamines she was taking for her allergies were blocking her ability to orgasm...by blocking her body's histamine release!

Females who are not reaching orgasm due to insufficient histamine levels might want to consider taking the B-vitamins folic acid and niacin which elevate histamine. Make sure you take NIACIN and NOT THE NON-FLUSH niacin cousin "niacinamide" since you will not evoke a histamine release from niacinamide.

For those adventurous souls seeking a NEW and UNIQUE sexual experience...try taking 250-500 MG of niacin a half hour before becoming sexually active. Almost anyone taking a strong dose of NIACIN for the first time will respond with a "VERY STRONG" histamine release that usually includes hot itchy sensations in "various parts" of the body. The histamine flushing will eventually wear off in an hour or so but the hot itchy sensations you experience during the flushing COULD add something "sexually hot" to your lovemaking experience.

There are times when I sneeze while I am in the process of being turned on...however I am a discriminating sneezer in the sense that not just any type of sexual behavior or sex talk evokes a sneeze. Only "certain behaviors" or "certain words" spoken in a "specific context" that evoke "specific ideas" are capable of evoking a sneeze from me.
« Last Edit: 16/07/2011 13:05:18 by Starsky »

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14041 on: 16/07/2011 14:06:41 »
Okay Guys, so here is the first Niacin Pills Report:

I have been taking Niacin (Niacinic Acid) Pills 100mg twice a day since Monday. First time O was last night, but I took 300 mg of Niacin prior to O to ensure that I got the Niacin Flush.

So How am I feeling today?

Well...I feel that my POIS day 1 isn't as bad as it normally is, but its no where near 100% gone either, I would say POIS intensity is 60-70%. However it is very hard to say if this was due to Niacin, it could be a placebo effect, or it could be just the POIS itself. Sometimes my POIS intensity isn't as bad as other times, it just depends on the day.

I am finding that taking niacin is increasing my blood flow, I think I can feel it. The Flush that I get from Niacin isn't really that strong either, it is more of just a mild tingling sensation.

I will just have to keep experimenting. Am very interested in the results of Victor's injectible Niacin Experiment, and any one else's experiences with Niacin. I don't think anyone else has reported back on Niacin as yet...

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #14042 on: 16/07/2011 18:40:44 »
Hey everyone, Im new to this forum and I thought I might have just been the only person in the world to have this disorder. I knew it wasnt something Physiological. This was really taking a toll on my body for about 48 hours after ejaculation. I think my most Severe Symptoms are Physical and Mental exhaustion and Extreme Lack of motivation. I feel absolutely terrible the following day, The day after that I am most likely feeling better.I told a few of my friends about my problem and I asked if they have ever felt any of the symptoms after Ejaculation and they said they feel more energized and alive after, That is a dream for me. I hope that one day they make a prescription for People similar to me to go on so that we can live a more normal life. If anyone else can relate to my symptoms go ahead and reply.

Thanks,
Brett

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14043 on: 16/07/2011 22:38:05 »

itsthatskater, and rjmlr, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the file for that TV documentary, "Desperate Measures", which can be downloaded and played. The segment starts at about 12:20..
http://www.fileserve.com/file/cUtJa9R/TITLE01.mp4

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,000,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline Mer

• View Profile
« Reply #14044 on: 17/07/2011 04:40:11 »
Hello everyone!

I have some new findings today.

I am currently under an anti-depressant to decrease my libido and it has worked quite good that I don`t get any erection (during wakefulness), wet dream, and orgasmic ejaculation.

However I have noticed that from time to time the pre-ejaculatory fluid releases ( no idea why though? it happens specially in the mornings when I get up and see I have an erection) and I can see the spots on my underwear. The bad news is that I get the symptoms whenever this pre-ejaculatory fluid releases. However these symptoms are not as intense as after a real orgasm. They are less in quantity and to some extent in intensity. For example I still get a very oily skin, lots of pimples and brain fog (40-60 %) and bumps on the throat wall.

I have searched on the internet to know more about the pre-ejaculatory fluid and it turns out that the liquid mainly originates from bulbourethral gland, also called a Cowper's gland.

I strongly see a connection from this liquid and my POIS symptoms as for several times I got some portions of the symptoms even when I did not have any orgasm. I only was sexually excited and got the symptoms with no orgasmic ejaculation in my previous POIS experiences.

This time when I experienced the symptoms after the release of the pre-ejaculatory fluid I thought maybe there is a connection between the contents of this liquid and appearance of the symptoms.

I justify the weakness of the symptoms in this case to the fact that there is less pre-ejaculatory fluid released. However, during a complete orgasm more of this liquid gets released and that might be a reason for the higher intensity symptoms after an orgasm.

Just to clarify that the symptoms could not occur due to psychological reasons- I experienced the symptoms and then became aware that the pre-ejaculatory fluid had been released by checking my underwear or going to bathroom and start urinating and observing that the urethra had been partially blocked by a liquid by the liquid which was not homogeneous to urine and thus released separately from urine.

So has anyone had the symptoms caused by the pre-ejaculatory fluid? Does anyone know if the "allergen" might be within the contents of the pre-ejaculatory fluid?

Please comment!

Thank you.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14045 on: 17/07/2011 06:44:31 »
Under the "Funding a POIS Research Grant Thread" on the POIS Center forum, I've been keeping track of everyone's announced donations and pledges.  The table of donations is stratified by Money Already Donated and Pledged Donations (pledged donations are all in excess of already given donations).  

Green just pledged a massive $500 donation, bringing the total $ figure of Pledged Donations to over $7,000!  This means that together with the $2,685 already donated, we're at almost $10,000.  

I just wanted to share below the information on those people who have donated and pledged... people just like YOU who have had enough and are serious about finding a cure!    

So thank you very, very much to all of you below.    

MONEY DONATED TO NORD
Donor                                      Given ($)
Demografx                                250                        
Animus                                     100
EDS                                          100                    
B_Daniel                                    500                    
Rock27                                      1,000
Martin88                                    100                          
Hoping                                       unspecified
John21                                      100                                    
Habibou                                     100  
7/11/11 ACTUAL NORD TOTAL   $2,685

PLEDGED
Donor                                     Pledged ($)
Demografx                                unspecified
Limejuice                                  1,000
Rock27                                     unspecified
Vandemolen3                            unspecified
EDS                                          900
B_Daniel                                    4,500        
Habibou                                     unspecified                  
Counterpoints                             unspecified
jivetalk                                    100   
Green                                       500
Atleast $7,000 more!

(if I've missed you please send me a PM)

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14046 on: 17/07/2011 08:32:44 »
2nd Niacin Pills Report:

Okay decided to O again for the Team this afternoon. This time, I upped my Dosage of Niacin. I have stopped taking the pills on a daily basis as per Davemans suggestion (Thanks Daveman. So anyway - About 45 minutes prior, I took 3 x 100mg tablets, then about 15 minutes prior I took another 2 x 100mg. Definately had the Niacin Flush during the 'deed'.

Results:

OMG - I feel fine. In fact I feel really good. I seem to have a lot more energy. Seems to have kicked me out of the POIS that I had yesterday also. Very Very minor signs of brain fog - I feel I could sit down and have a good conversation with someone, which is very rare for me after O. Am pretty excited about this so thought I'd write on the forum. Of course this still could be Placebo, or one of those rare times that an O kicks me out of POIS. I am still cautiously optimistic. Will keep experimenting and reporting.

P.S- I am not sure about the long term effects of Niacin, I am tempted to up my dosage - but Probably won't until I research Niacin a bit more and what ill effects it might have.

Offline silverandcol

• View Profile
« Reply #14047 on: 17/07/2011 11:46:27 »
Nice jivetalk, very nice.  I can't wait till my xanthinol comes now!  Been like over a week and nothing ><. 

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #14048 on: 17/07/2011 13:39:36 »
Hi Everyone,

Apologies as usual for my sporadic appearance on the forum. I see there has been lots of recent activity I need to catch up with here! Well done.

I've been asked once again by Dr Goldmeier to shout out to any POIS sufferers in the UK. He's an author of one of the few scientific papers on POIS and is trying to conduct more research. He's widely published in medical journals and is based at St Mary's Hospital in London and Imperial College. He's part of a unit that conducts clinical research in sexual medicine.  He and his team really need more POIS sufferers to come forward and see him.

Dr Goldmeier is very approachable, and you can refer yourself to his clinic at St Mary's Hospital in London, there's no need to get your GP to do it for you. Just send him an email at:

David.Goldmeier@imperial.nhs.uk

What's more it doesn't cost you anything to go and see him (except for your travel to London). Its an amazing opportunity to get POIS thoroughly investigated. If Dr Waldinger has 45 or more POIS patients in the Netherlands (as suggested by his last POIS research paper), its hard to believe that there aren't at least that many sufferers willing to come forward in the UK.  Dr Goldmeier is willing to see any UK POIS patients and I think so far he's seen about 8. Simply get in touch with him by email.

Dr Goldmeier and his team seem willing and able to look at POIS from all angles including investigating any immunological connections as suggested by Dr Waldinger. Even an fMRI study, something many forum members here have called for, seems to be a possibility if he can get enough POIS sufferers to see him. So if you're in the UK, and haven't yet got in touch with Dr Goldmeier, please take a step forward for your own sake and for the rest of us in tackling this illness that's affected us all so badly.

I see there is much activity with NORD which is fantastic. I'll catch up with that. We need to pursue every avenue in getting this investigated.

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14049 on: 17/07/2011 13:42:43 »
Demo and Daveman,

Was thinking about POIS research...I was hoping to humbly suggest two things.

1. I was looking at the Poiscenter forum,- And thinking to myself, if I was someone who had POIS didn't really know anything about it and found myself at either of the two forums - There is nothing that easily introduces newcomers into our group. For example a 'What is POIS?', 'Do I have POIS?' and a 'FAQ'..that is easily found from the front page would help a lot of people when they land at the new forum. There is a lot of medical speak and theories which is the core of what we are about at the moment, but I was thinking it would be good to help people who know nothing ease into it...

2. Continuing on the Awareness path - and once item one has been done. I was thinking of drafting an email, one that clearly identifies POIS symptoms, with the intention of advising the existance of the Poiscenter forum and the NORD Grant. and mass mailing it out, to health forums. to people we know. asking them to pass it on in the hopes of identifying more sufferers.

Thoughts?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14049 on: 17/07/2011 13:42:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums