The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6446120 times)

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14050 on: 17/07/2011 13:45:09 »
Mellivora,

That is great news! I only wish I was in the UK.
Thanks for bringing this to the forum, and I am very glad we have another medical professional looking into this.

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #14051 on: 17/07/2011 14:08:03 »
I have searched on the internet to know more about the pre-ejaculatory fluid and it turns out that the liquid mainly originates from bulbourethral gland, also called a Cowper's gland.

I strongly see a connection from this liquid and my POIS symptoms as for several times I got some portions of the symptoms even when I did not have any orgasm. I only was sexually excited and got the symptoms with no orgasmic ejaculation in my previous POIS experiences.

This time when I experienced the symptoms after the release of the pre-ejaculatory fluid I thought maybe there is a connection between the contents of this liquid and appearance of the symptoms.

I justify the weakness of the symptoms in this case to the fact that there is less pre-ejaculatory fluid released. However, during a complete orgasm more of this liquid gets released and that might be a reason for the higher intensity symptoms after an orgasm.

I also get POIS symptoms from pre-ejaculatory fluid Mer - a minority of people on this forum have the same problem as we do. Semen is made up of many different "ingredients", including sperm, pre-cum and a bunch of other things (fructose, various acids, zinc etc).

So according to the theory which says that POIS suffers are allergic to their own semen, we could be allergic to any number of the components of semen, from one or two to all of them.

Different people are allergic to different things, so our "precum POIS" is just as real as full-blown "ejaculation POIS". When (eventually) medical science breaks semen down into all its different elements and finds out which parts cause POIS, I'm betting that precum will be one of the biggest troublemakers.

Of course that doesn't mean that we are not allergic to sperm as well as precum! Or fructose, citrate, phosphorylcholine, or some of the many other components of semen.

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #14052 on: 17/07/2011 14:35:20 »

Results:

OMG - I feel fine. In fact I feel really good. I seem to have a lot more energy. Seems to have kicked me out of the POIS that I had yesterday also. Very Very minor signs of brain fog - I feel I could sit down and have a good conversation with someone, which is very rare for me after O. Am pretty excited about this so thought I'd write on the forum. Of course this still could be Placebo, or one of those rare times that an O kicks me out of POIS. I am still cautiously optimistic. Will keep experimenting and reporting.

P.S- I am not sure about the long term effects of Niacin, I am tempted to up my dosage - but Probably won't until I research Niacin a bit more and what ill effects it might have.

Very exciting news jivetalk! It would be awesome if high-dose niacin turned out to be a cure for POIS for at least some of the people on the forum. Having googled about niacin a bit, the main issue people mention is that high-dose niacin has the potential to cause damage to the liver. So if you are contemplating taking large quantities, swing by your local doctor and tell him about your plans. Even if your doctor is sceptical about POIS, it is his/her professional duty to give you a liver function test if you ask for one - whether you are drinking a bottle of whisky every day or taking high-dose niacin  :)

Some sites mention that taking niacin and alcohol together has the potential to harm your liver - I need to look further into this, as I enjoy alcohol and sex, and would rather not be forced to give one of them up!

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14053 on: 17/07/2011 14:49:03 »
Hi All,

I've tried injection of 1% Niacin acid instead of XN today, the dose was 1ml. The initial feelings of this drug activity was that it is not as strong as XN and it takes more time to have the flush. The flush was a bit less strong as well I think. I had an O in 25 mins after injection.

Looks like Niacin Acid actions the same as XN for me, but I need twice the dose of XN or even a bit more, to have the same effect. Anyways - no POIS after 1ml dose of niacin acid - this is the result for now. But my experiment was not absolutely clean, because I had XN injection yesterday, so I need to try for a while Niacin Acid to be sure. Will keep you updated.

Warning! Don't try this on yourself without consultation of qualified medical personnel, you can make yourself permanent injury.

Victor
« Last Edit: 19/07/2011 21:09:31 by demografx »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14054 on: 17/07/2011 15:47:10 »
Demo and Daveman,

Was thinking about POIS research...I was hoping to humbly suggest two things.

1. I was looking at the Poiscenter forum,- And thinking to myself, if I was someone who had POIS didn't really know anything about it and found myself at either of the two forums - There is nothing that easily introduces newcomers into our group. For example a 'What is POIS?', 'Do I have POIS?' and a 'FAQ'..that is easily found from the front page would help a lot of people when they land at the new forum. There is a lot of medical speak and theories which is the core of what we are about at the moment, but I was thinking it would be good to help people who know nothing ease into it...

I personally think that's a fantastic idea.  I can remember just a few months ago when I first found NSF.  Every night I read posting after posting, but it took so long to get caught up.  I just wanted to Yell "Please somebody give me the Cliff Notes on all this" - and I think that's exactly what we need. 

So, jivetalk as you said, we need a packet (Perhaps found under POIS center) that begins with a) what is POIS b) how do I know if I have it.  Then it needs to have c) Background information on the NSF and POIS Center groups, how we all came together, why we're here, a short daveman/demo bio, etc.  d) Short 1-4 sentence summary on each of the main hypothetical POIS causes (allergy, hormonal, regeneration, circulation...) e) list of main treatments, what % of ppl found help through them, how much to take / when to take f) Discussion of the few Doctors that are researching POIS and their studies so far g) What we're doing now (continuing with NSF, POIS Center, NORD donation fund, Waldinger's study that's going on right now, note to start keeping up with the posting's to find out the rest) h) Miscellaneous - to include: How to  search the forum with google, link to Animus's video, link to the POIS Forum Compendium, a link to B_Jim's Summary of all cases, a link to Girlwind's POIS video, a link to our POIS chatroom, a link to our POIS information website, etc.

This would be a large undertaking.  We would need people to Volunteer to do one Letter of the above, and then another volunteer to get everything emailed to them, to proofread, and compile all of this into a Word Doc, then to Paste it into a new thread titled "Introduction" on the POIS Center website. 

Then Demo's Welcome Posting on NSF can simply be a big Hello and a link to this Introduction Thread.

It's a lot of work, I know.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14055 on: 17/07/2011 17:45:48 »
Nice jivetalk, very nice.  I can't wait till my xanthinol comes now!  Been like over a week and nothing ><. 

Well, jivetalks tests are very encouraging. It might even be that JUST nicacin, when taken correctly (and maybe not like the rest of the world takes it, avoiding the flush) can work quite well, avoiding having to inject and find a special source etc....

Time and testing will tell.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14056 on: 17/07/2011 17:57:54 »

ANOTHER MAJOR MILESTONE HAS BEEN ACHIEVED FOR POIS!

Dear Friends,

We are thrilled to announce that POIS is now officially recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research, in the US!!

Go to: http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/RareDiseaseList.aspx?StartsWith=P, then scroll down until you reach Postorgasmic illness syndrome.

NIH maintains THE LIST of the almost 7,000 rare disorders that have been identified to date.  Getting POIS added to that list brings us one step closer to diagnosis, finding the cause, and most importantly – finding the treatments that will alleviate the miserable condition! 

With strong encouragement and support from NORD, we approached the Office of Rare Disease Research (ORDR) via emails, citing the few studies about POIS to date. We were met with immediate understanding and compassion, and after several weeks, they concluded that it was correct to list POIS on their official list of rare diseases.

Some of you might think that this is only a list – but we know from NORD that this particular list is frequently used by scientists, universities, pharmaceutical companies, and even venture capitalalists who are seeking to either obtain funding – or to fund – rare disease research.

We are slowly but surely making progress.  The time for serious attention to POIS has arrived!

Don’t forget, your donations are happily received at:
http://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations/fg_base_view_p3

With these donations, professional investigators will work at puting all the pieces together and get rid of this thing for once and for all!!

POIS Forums,
Demografx, Daveman

« Last Edit: 18/07/2011 02:30:16 by demografx »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #14057 on: 17/07/2011 19:44:22 »
Daveman, that's terrific. I've had blank looks from doctors in the past after they have looked up POIS on a computer database of illnesses to find it wasn't there. I'm sure it'll make a difference.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #14058 on: 17/07/2011 22:45:05 »
Hi Everyone,

Apologies as usual for my sporadic appearance on the forum. I see there has been lots of recent activity I need to catch up with here! Well done.

I've been asked once again by Dr Goldmeier to shout out to any POIS sufferers in the UK. He's an author of one of the few scientific papers on POIS and is trying to conduct more research. He's widely published in medical journals and is based at St Mary's Hospital in London and Imperial College. He's part of a unit that conducts clinical research in sexual medicine.  He and his team really need more POIS sufferers to come forward and see him.

Dr Goldmeier is very approachable, and you can refer yourself to his clinic at St Mary's Hospital in London, there's no need to get your GP to do it for you. Just send him an email at:

David.Goldmeier@imperial.nhs.uk

What's more it doesn't cost you anything to go and see him (except for your travel to London). Its an amazing opportunity to get POIS thoroughly investigated. If Dr Waldinger has 45 or more POIS patients in the Netherlands (as suggested by his last POIS research paper), its hard to believe that there aren't at least that many sufferers willing to come forward in the UK.  Dr Goldmeier is willing to see any UK POIS patients and I think so far he's seen about 8. Simply get in touch with him by email.

Dr Goldmeier and his team seem willing and able to look at POIS from all angles including investigating any immunological connections as suggested by Dr Waldinger. Even an fMRI study, something many forum members here have called for, seems to be a possibility if he can get enough POIS sufferers to see him. So if you're in the UK, and haven't yet got in touch with Dr Goldmeier, please take a step forward for your own sake and for the rest of us in tackling this illness that's affected us all so badly.

I see there is much activity with NORD which is fantastic. I'll catch up with that. We need to pursue every avenue in getting this investigated.
This sounds like a great opportunity for patients in the UK which will also benefit all of us.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14059 on: 17/07/2011 22:52:54 »
Daveman, that's terrific. I've had blank looks from doctors in the past after they have looked up POIS on a computer database of illnesses to find it wasn't there. I'm sure it'll make a difference.

Nice i guess we can all say to past doctor who is crazy now

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14060 on: 18/07/2011 02:35:30 »

Results:

OMG - I feel fine. In fact I feel really good. I seem to have a lot more energy. Seems to have kicked me out of the POIS that I had yesterday also. Very Very minor signs of brain fog - I feel I could sit down and have a good conversation with someone, which is very rare for me after O. Am pretty excited about this so thought I'd write on the forum. Of course this still could be Placebo, or one of those rare times that an O kicks me out of POIS. I am still cautiously optimistic. Will keep experimenting and reporting.

P.S- I am not sure about the long term effects of Niacin, I am tempted to up my dosage - but Probably won't until I research Niacin a bit more and what ill effects it might have.

Very exciting news jivetalk! It would be awesome if high-dose niacin turned out to be a cure for POIS for at least some of the people on the forum. Having googled about niacin a bit, the main issue people mention is that high-dose niacin has the potential to cause damage to the liver. So if you are contemplating taking large quantities, swing by your local doctor and tell him about your plans. Even if your doctor is sceptical about POIS, it is his/her professional duty to give you a liver function test if you ask for one - whether you are drinking a bottle of whisky every day or taking high-dose niacin  :)

Some sites mention that taking niacin and alcohol together has the potential to harm your liver - I need to look further into this, as I enjoy alcohol and sex, and would rather not be forced to give one of them up!

Thanks, guys!

(edit - red emphasis mine)

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14061 on: 18/07/2011 05:48:57 »

YA!  I can't wait to tell my next disbelieving doctor to "Look It Up, Buddy".... although maybe i'll be a bit nicer than that about it. 

Good work in getting this accomplished!

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14062 on: 18/07/2011 09:24:40 »

YA!  I can't wait to tell my next disbelieving doctor to "Look It Up, Buddy".... although maybe i'll be a bit nicer than that about it. 

Daveman, Demo - Great Job Gents...Very Very exciting times for POIS sufferers thanks to you guys.

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14063 on: 18/07/2011 09:27:53 »

Results:

Thanks, guys!

Demo, Hurray - Thanks for the heads up and warnings. If I decide to take this experiment to the next level - I will be consulting with my GP for sure. As it stands, I'm posting updates on the other forum under XN. But at this stage from yesterday's O, I'm feeling about 60% POIS.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14064 on: 18/07/2011 16:24:25 »
Ok, a bought Complamin Spezial Xantinolnicotinat retard pills. It costs 62 Euro for 100 Pills. Injections are not produced in Germany any more. One pill has 1000 mg. Isnt too much?

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #14065 on: 18/07/2011 18:15:21 »
We have to stop going from one thing to another, and just dumping them if they don't work. We throw the baby away with the bath-water. When we could be learning from every failure. We just FAIL.

Don't we get tired of just failing?

I don't agree with these sentiments.  Yes, it's good to exercise some discipline when testing a new drug.  But, assuming the person has checked out the associated dangers and is acting responsibly, there is a HUGE amount of value in testing these drugs, even in a disorganised, uncontrolled manner.  I doubt any one drug will help all of us, but there may well be drugs which help many or most of us, and we can learn that through feedback on the forum.  The main thing I worry about is someone trying too little of a drug, or not taking it in the right way, and then dismissing it.  However, on the whole, that risk does not outweigh the benefits of cautious experimentation.  We just have to be especially wary when someone reports a 'negative' result.

I have spent the last 14 years trying various drugs, and seeing whether they have any effect on my POIS.  I assumed that maybe after another 30 years of experimenting, that I may find something that helps me manage my symptoms better.  When I found this forum, many years ago, I was really excited because then it seemed we could communicate our experiments to one another.  It was as if I suddenly had 300 lifetimes of experiments, instead of just one; in this light it seemed like maybe there would be a good treatment in only a few years.  This was partly my motivation to develop the questionnaire.  It was useful to see what everyone had already tried.

Finally, we are not 'just failing'.  People have tried things, like testosterone, fenugreek, etc., told others here about it, and they have also been treated.  Their lives have been saved.  So let us not dramatically undervalue the power of the experimentation that has taken place here, just to make a point.

Counterpoints, I agree...
« Last Edit: 18/07/2011 18:21:43 by Animus »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14066 on: 18/07/2011 18:27:39 »

Sadly, many idiot docs NEED to hear "Look it up, buddy"!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14067 on: 18/07/2011 18:30:42 »

Daveman, Demo - Great Job Gents...Very Very exciting times for POIS sufferers thanks to you guys.

JT, thank you!!! And Dave and I will discuss your recommendations. Many thanks for YOUR thoughtfulness!  :)

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14068 on: 18/07/2011 21:06:19 »

Results:

Thanks, guys!

A couple of notes, aside form the warnings expressed of course:

First, I'm not sure that a high-dose is necesarily required. Some may need more, others less. But the critical part is that it produces the rush. So one should not take it regularly, which tends to produce a "resistance" to producing the rush, and therefore require higher doses to produce it.

If taken ONLY just before orgasm, a dose of 200 to 300 should be enough, which isn't necesarily "high". Also, taken this way it is not taken daily reducing the threat of liver damage even more.

« Last Edit: 18/07/2011 21:12:10 by daveman »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14069 on: 18/07/2011 21:39:35 »
We have to stop going from one thing to another, and just dumping them if they don't work. We throw the baby away with the bath-water. When we could be learning from every failure. We just FAIL.

I don't agree with these sentiments.  Yes, it's good to exercise some discipline when testing a new drug.  But, assuming the person has checked out the associated dangers and is acting responsibly, there is a HUGE amount of value in testing these drugs, even in a disorganised, uncontrolled manner.  I doubt any one drug will help all of us, but there may well be drugs which help many or most of us, and we can learn that through feedback on the forum.  The main thing I worry about is someone trying too little of a drug, or not taking it in the right way, and then dismissing it.  However, on the whole, that risk does not outweigh the benefits of cautious experimentation.  We just have to be especially wary when someone reports a 'negative' result.

I have spent the last 14 years trying various drugs, and seeing whether they have any effect on my POIS.  I assumed that maybe after another 30 years of experimenting, that I may find something that helps me manage my symptoms better.  When I found this forum, many years ago, I was really excited because then it seemed we could communicate our experiments to one another.  It was as if I suddenly had 300 lifetimes of experiments, instead of just one; in this light it seemed like maybe there would be a good treatment in only a few years.  This was partly my motivation to develop the questionnaire.  It was useful to see what everyone had already tried.

Finally, we are not 'just failing'.  People have tried things, like testosterone, fenugreek, etc., told others here about it, and they have also been treated.  Their lives have been saved.  So let us not dramatically undervalue the power of the experimentation that has taken place here, just to make a point.

Counterpoints, I agree...

As far as I can see he was agreeing with me as well. Just in case the point was missed, it's not at all a matter of not trying things. It's a matter of approaching tests to better understand the results and to understand the real problem.

Sometimes success isn't just a matter of finding an ultimate solution. It's a matter of letting the wrong decisions lead to an appropriate decision.

As a matter of fact the whole XN situation is a good example. We don't throw the whole idea away just because there's one bad egg involved. Nor should we jump all over something and do "whatever" without considering how and why it works and what effect it could have on our system.

And we HAVE been responsible with XN. A careful approach. Understanding the different application approaches. Injectiable or no, with flush or no, daily or just before "O", and enough to begin to understand WHAT's going on, EVEN if IT fails, WE DON'T.

« Last Edit: 18/07/2011 21:48:26 by daveman »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14070 on: 18/07/2011 22:58:15 »

I don't agree with these sentiments.......

I just edited this a bit.  It didn't really hit what I was trying to say earlier.
Counterpoints, I have to say, that was a great counterpoint  ;D  And I agree with you.  But daveman's point wasn't as off-base as you made out...  In fact a lot of it was spot-on.  Look at Victor's post back from last October about XN... we tossed around the info for a bit, had people talking about it, and then we completely forgot about it!  I think there was some throwing the baby out with the bathwater there. 

So I see where daveman was coming from.  I really think that what this comes down to is a difference in ideologies on how to attack POIS.  Counterpoints, you strike me as more of the school of thought of Try everything and let's find the one that works - you try something and if it doesn't work you make note of it and move on.  I think Daveman and his engineering background likes to try new things too, but doesn't simply ask if it works or not.  I've seen him analyze something new from the perspective of what we already know - Like the fact that Garlic, Fenugreek, desensitization treatments, etc. works somewhat.  He'll then try to figure out what the new substance has in common with the old, what properties could be contributing to it helping, and build upon that. 

Maybe our process does need to be tweaked a bit.  We're surely not perfect.  There's no doubt that it's a good thing to take a bird's eye view and re-assess our process every once in a while though.  Personally though I like that we have many different people all engaging in their own process.  That's what makes this forum so great. 
« Last Edit: 19/07/2011 05:36:44 by B_Daniel »

Offline Mer

• View Profile
« Reply #14071 on: 19/07/2011 00:43:59 »
What is XN?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14073 on: 19/07/2011 05:08:03 »

You can put me down to pledge $500 [to NORD-POIS].

Green, thank you!!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14074 on: 19/07/2011 05:12:39 »

Hi Everyone,

Apologies as usual for my sporadic appearance on the forum. I see there has been lots of recent activity I need to catch up with here! Well done.

I've been asked once again by Dr Goldmeier to shout out to any POIS sufferers in the UK. He's an author of one of the few scientific papers on POIS and is trying to conduct more research. He's widely published in medical journals and is based at St Mary's Hospital in London and Imperial College. He's part of a unit that conducts clinical research in sexual medicine.  He and his team really need more POIS sufferers to come forward and see him.

Dr Goldmeier is very approachable, and you can refer yourself to his clinic at St Mary's Hospital in London, there's no need to get your GP to do it for you. Just send him an email at:

David.Goldmeier@imperial.nhs.uk

What's more it doesn't cost you anything to go and see him (except for your travel to London). Its an amazing opportunity to get POIS thoroughly investigated. If Dr Waldinger has 45 or more POIS patients in the Netherlands (as suggested by his last POIS research paper), its hard to believe that there aren't at least that many sufferers willing to come forward in the UK.  Dr Goldmeier is willing to see any UK POIS patients and I think so far he's seen about 8. Simply get in touch with him by email.

Dr Goldmeier and his team seem willing and able to look at POIS from all angles including investigating any immunological connections as suggested by Dr Waldinger. Even an fMRI study, something many forum members here have called for, seems to be a possibility if he can get enough POIS sufferers to see him. So if you're in the UK, and haven't yet got in touch with Dr Goldmeier, please take a step forward for your own sake and for the rest of us in tackling this illness that's affected us all so badly.

I see there is much activity with NORD which is fantastic. I'll catch up with that. We need to pursue every avenue in getting this investigated.

mellivora, thank you for the wonderful news about Dr. Goldmeier's enthusiasm about treating and researching POIS!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14074 on: 19/07/2011 05:12:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums