The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6424565 times)

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14075 on: 19/07/2011 12:45:05 »
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if anyone else has come across this. I just came across another Group which is very similar to ours with the same problem as ours. Except they call it sexual exhaustion/dysfunction.

http://recover.forumup.org/

You have to register to get into their forums, but the guys there are having similar discussions. Have a look!

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14076 on: 19/07/2011 14:34:35 »
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if anyone else has come across this. I just came across another Group which is very similar to ours with the same problem as ours. Except they call it sexual exhaustion/dysfunction.

You have to register to get into their forums, but the guys there are having similar discussions. Have a look!

Search the forum for http://recover.forumup.org/ and you'll see that the website has been brought up sporadically over the past 3 years. 

My own personal take on the SE forum is that it proves there are many more people with POIS out there.  It'd be great if our forums could collaborate in some form or fashion, or at least have a few people be a member of both and update everyone here with any progress or developments on their end - and vice versa.  I think the main difference between our groups is that our forum is very specifically focused on finding a cure, especially via a scientific, medical approach - and our posts are moderated in accordance with that, meaning we have very few off-topic posts.  From the perspective of a lifestyle diary and posts about daily living with POIS, the SE forum is basically a bizzaro world's NSF. 

daveman - would that be an appropriate explanation??

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14077 on: 19/07/2011 14:58:45 »
Mellivora, I sent you a PM about Dr Goldmeier.. do you know if he is up to work on a french POIS case? (Paris/London is very close nowadays!)

We should ask/warn the 1600 suffers from the other forum that we can donate to the NORD ! We would reach the exact amount faster !

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14078 on: 19/07/2011 15:46:15 »
Hi Everyone,

Search the forum for http://recover.forumup.org/ and you'll see that the website has been brought up sporadically over the past 3 years. 

My own personal take on the SE forum is that it proves there are many more people with POIS out there.  It'd be great if our forums could collaborate in some form or fashion, or at least have a few people be a member of both and update everyone here with any progress or developments on their end - and vice versa.  I think the main difference between our groups is that our forum is very specifically focused on finding a cure, especially via a scientific, medical approach - and our posts are moderated in accordance with that, meaning we have very few off-topic posts.  From the perspective of a lifestyle diary and posts about daily living with POIS, the SE forum is basically a bizzaro world's NSF. 

daveman - would that be an appropriate explanation??

It's very difficult to focus on methodical testing when the only thing you want is to find a cure NOW. And given that any group of more than two or three people have differing opinions on how and when things should be done, it's even more complex.

As it is, even here and on SMF, it's all we can do to try to maintain a focused vision of what POIS is, what causes it and how to approach the solution for a cure. But the focus, even though it may seem to make progress slower, makes it surer, and so, ultimately faster.

We, our POIS group, and the recovery.forumup group have much in common, as do many other groups that are directed towards resolving an illness or condition that is "different" or even rare. We both must fight the psychosematic stigma and bewildered and sometimes ignorant doctors. We are alone and stubbourn. Even another reason as members we tend to be ready to try anything, whatever the cost.

But in uniting our efforts, we must take great care. Sexual exhaustion is NOT POIS. And although certain solutions may be common, and certainly the goal is common, we MUST maintain our focus in POIS.

We may have Sexual Exhaustion people among our ranks, and they may have genuine POIS sufferes among theirs.

Both of our groups are open to all. If there's anything that can be gained in sharing, ALL THE BETTER.
« Last Edit: 19/07/2011 18:48:04 by daveman »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14079 on: 19/07/2011 18:11:18 »
About Niacin

Sent:        Monday, July 18, 2011 10:32 AM
To:          G, MD   (demo's GP)
Subject:     Niaspan

Dear Dr G,

Is there any concern with my 500mg daily Niaspan? (someone posted this on the POIS forum).    THANKS AGAIN! demo

"High-dose niacin has the potential to cause damage to the liver."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent:       Monday, July 18, 2011 2:20 PM
To:         demografx
Subject:    RE: Niaspan

It is true.  That is why we monitor your liver function.  Statin medications such as Lipitor and crestor can do the same thing.

edit - keep in mind that I am on DAILY niacin. As some members pointed out, this may not be necessary for POIS and actually might work poorly if the body builds tolerance to niacin, as I do - demo
« Last Edit: 19/07/2011 19:19:41 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14080 on: 19/07/2011 18:20:19 »

Sexual exhaustion is NOT POIS. And although certain solutions may be common, and certainly the goal is common, we MUST maintain our focus in POIS.

Exactly right.

One outstanding example of the difference can be seen in the New York Times link that is posted for newcomers.

Most of those "post orgasmic suffering" examples are 1-day-or-less sufferers. POIS is characterized by DAYS of suffering, sometimes weeks.

The only reason we keep it there is that it is teriffic to see a psychiatrist telling the world that "post orgasmic problems are NOT all in our heads"

« Last Edit: 20/07/2011 06:19:57 by demografx »

Offline silverandcol

• View Profile
« Reply #14081 on: 20/07/2011 04:18:36 »
Just got my xan-pro tablets.  The packaging was a bit shady, just a bubble wrap envelope lol.  Will take a pill just for kicks to see how it rolls on me.  Then when I have no commitments, I will try it along w/ an orgasm shortly after.  Fingers crossed =D. Also hope it doesn't fk me up LOL.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14082 on: 20/07/2011 06:15:10 »

Just got my xan-pro tablets.  The packaging was a bit shady, just a bubble wrap envelope lol.  Will take a pill just for kicks to see how it rolls on me.  Then when I have no commitments, I will try it along w/ an orgasm shortly after.  Fingers crossed =D. Also hope it doesn't fk me up LOL.

silverandcol, CAREFUL, please!
« Last Edit: 20/07/2011 23:38:26 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14083 on: 20/07/2011 06:36:47 »

For all our new visitors and friends!

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php

Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

We started a POIS Research Fund to boost our attack on The POIS Monster! Explained here:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=125.0

We raised $2,150 in just the first 2 weeks, with much more pledged!

And your POIS fund donation is most welcome here:
http://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14084 on: 20/07/2011 08:16:54 »
Haven't checked back here much since I've been mostly on the new forum. Just read through the last like 8 pages and this niacin thing sounds pretty interesting. I'll add it to the list of things I need to try. Combating POIS is certainly worth risking my liver function.

I've been taking thyroid hormone for almost a month now and it's stopped my eye-burning, but caused some facial irritation that I find unacceptable. Besides that it's done nothing. The dose I'm on is still very low so I'll wait and see once the dose is raised by the doc.

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14085 on: 20/07/2011 13:33:12 »

silverandcol, CAREFUL, please! I wouldn't take it!!!

Hey Demo - Is that because Silverandcol noted that the packaging was a bit dodgy? - If I'm correct, Silverandcol would have purchased these Xan-Pro tablets from Anti-aging system, Xan-Pro which seem pretty legit. I was about to purchase some myself. In fact, I think I might if they deliver to Australia.

The Niacin seems to be giving me a Caffeine Like effect, where it is difficult for me to sleep after taking a high dose earlier in the day.

OMG: Dosage from Website:
As an anti-aging memory support, take one or two 150mg tablets three times a day. You may take up to a maximum of 12 tablets (1800mg total) prior to a workout or exercise.

1800mg!!!!!!!!! That should be enough to determine if it works for POIS or not :-)
« Last Edit: 20/07/2011 14:12:10 by jivetalk »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14086 on: 20/07/2011 15:27:03 »
I think we'll find that it's NOT the dose that's as important, as it is the histamine threshold level, which increases with regular dosage.

The dose taken should be greater than the histamine threshold. So if that threshold is low, a lower dose should be as effective as a high dose where the histamine threshold has been raised by daily consumption.

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14087 on: 20/07/2011 16:07:05 »
I think we'll find that it's NOT the dose that's as important, as it is the histamine threshold level, which increases with regular dosage.

The dose taken should be greater than the histamine threshold. So if that threshold is low, a lower dose should be as effective as a high dose where the histamine threshold has been raised by daily consumption.
I fully agree with this statement. The dose higher than needed has the same effect as optimal dose, e.g. you can't get 110% relief from POIS, 100% is maximum :) .

Victor

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14088 on: 20/07/2011 17:14:03 »
Victor, dont you get some POIS from sexual arousal?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14089 on: 20/07/2011 17:52:09 »

Hey Demo - Is that [warning] because Silverandcol noted that the packaging was a bit dodgy? - If I'm correct, Silverandcol would have purchased these Xan-Pro tablets from Anti-aging system, Xan-Pro which seem pretty legit. I was about to purchase some myself. In fact, I think I might if they deliver to Australia.

JT, maybe I was too quick to "judge a book by its cover" ! So I toned down my warning. :)
« Last Edit: 20/07/2011 23:36:48 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14090 on: 20/07/2011 18:06:55 »

Combating POIS is certainly worth risking my liver function.

VM, no need to take risks like that!

Just monitor liver function like I do (see my email above from my GP).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14091 on: 20/07/2011 18:10:27 »

You can't get 110% relief from POIS, 100% is maximum :) .

Very good, Victor!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14092 on: 20/07/2011 19:02:52 »
Victor, dont you get some POIS from sexual arousal?
I do, but its very short term, less than hour I think.

Victor

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14093 on: 20/07/2011 19:06:27 »

You can't get 110% relief from POIS, 100% is maximum :) .

Very good, Victor!  ;D ;D ;D
I was kinda joking, but only slightly, higher doses of XN don't make me feel better. But changing lifestyle do make me feel much better.

Victor
« Last Edit: 20/07/2011 19:57:43 by victor.kons »

Offline silverandcol

• View Profile
« Reply #14094 on: 21/07/2011 02:52:55 »

Haha, no worries I am still alive.  After opening the package the actual container seems decently legit.  Its sealed outside and then on more right over the top.  I haven't tested them yet so I don't know if they will make me flush or what not.  Also it is made in like Great Britain lol.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14095 on: 21/07/2011 03:41:43 »

Haha, no worries I am still alive.  After opening the package the actual container seems decently legit.  Its sealed outside and then on more right over the top.  I haven't tested them yet so I don't know if they will make me flush or what not.  Also it is made in like Great Britain lol.
I have the ones from antiaging and have used so you should be fine. They are legit but you have to pay for that legitness.
to get flush use it without food

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14096 on: 21/07/2011 04:05:50 »

I have the ones from antiaging and have used so you should be fine. They are legit but you have to pay for that legitness.

CCconfucius, Have you tried the XN for POIS as yet?

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14097 on: 21/07/2011 15:47:27 »

CCconfucius, Have you tried the XN for POIS as yet?
no not yet, rarely heal.

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14098 on: 21/07/2011 15:52:00 »
Niacin Pills Report #3:

Dosage: 300 mg about 60 minutes prior to O (3 x 100mg Tablets)

Had another very intense O's last night, but took the dosage above. You know, one of the ones where its very very good, but you're thinking towards the end and afterwards 'Oh no, im going to paying for that for the next few days and possibly weeks!'.

Anyway..No POIS after O last night...... went to sleep and was able to sleep (maybe I'm getting used to the Niacin). However, woke up this morning VERY VERY Hot. I could also certainly feel more blood circulation running through me...I Had to kick the covers off....But....still..No POIS.
After getting up and very suprised I had no POIS and was feeling quite good. About 1/2 to 1 hour after being up and about, I could start to feel POIS slightly coming on. Based on my second Report, where I felt that somehow the Niacin 'Wore off' I decided to take another 100mg tablet. 15 Minutes later, had the flush and the POIS receded....I think I have a plan..

2 Hours later - I Could feel me being on the verge of POIS again...so popped another pill. Same effect, the POIS receded. I did this five times today taking a total of 500mg, and I am sitting here prior to going to bed with very little signs of POIS. I would say throughout the day I had around 10% POIS, which is a HUGE difference for me - But that could just be because I was Soooooo concious of it.

I can't get my hands on any Slow release niacin, but that is effectively what I have done today - 500mg in Slow Release Form.

Notes:
1. I don't think it is actually the FLUSH that is curing the POIS symptoms. The Flush itself only lasts about 5 minutes at the most for me, actually feels quite pleasant - not too strong. However it is well and truly gone by the time the O occurs. As Victor has noted, he can O quite a number of times after XN, but I am sure that the FLUSH would have only lasted a very short time.
2. I do feel slighlty jittery on the Niacin, but nothing too serious.
3. As noted, I have had a little insomnia the past few times I have taken Niacin.
4. I can certainly feel increased blood floor/heart beats whilst on the Niacin
5. I would normally be in VERY heavy POIS right now, tired, lazy, very foggy brain. But I'm actually quite alert, right now, I would say maybe 5% POIS if Anything at all..
6. I also note, usually when I am in POIS  - and I Yawn - I feel VERY EMPTY. As if my Body is Lacking Something severely (vitamins or something) and need to sleep, not sure if anyone else gets that. I did yawn a few times today, but Nothing like a POIS yawn. Just more a normal standard Yawn - and kept going...
7. Going to keep experimenting to see if I can reproduce the results....
8. If this is a Placebo..I hope it continues  :-)

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14099 on: 21/07/2011 16:39:22 »
XN Tablets Report.

Took 600mg, seems way too much, have a very strong flush in 6 minutes. And lol, I have a lobster's face, its all red. Never had such a reaction even with 1ml XN injections, seems 600mg indeed way too much for me, probably no need in such a high dose.

In half an hour after O - feel tired, looks like the heart is down... Liver seems reacting too, not good...

In two hours after O - heart is okay, but I have unhealthy feeling at the location of liver.

Result - no POIS after 600mg in XN tablets, but have unhealthy feelings at the location of liver.

Victor

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14099 on: 21/07/2011 16:39:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums