The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6454925 times)

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14125 on: 24/07/2011 22:25:31 »
Interesting things about Histamine on Wikipedia :

H3 histamine receptor = Found on central nervous system and to a lesser extent peripheral nervous system tissue    Decreased neurotransmitter release: histamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, serotonin.

Suppressive effects

While histamine has stimulatory effects upon neurons, it also has suppressive ones that protect against the susceptibility to convulsion, drug sensitization, denervation supersensitivity, ischemic lesions and stress.[9] It has also been suggested that histamine controls the mechanisms by which memories and learning are forgotten.

I personally take an H1 antihistamine which does not make anything on me, I should perhaps care of the H3 which has an important link with the brain ( memory/learning = cognitive)

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14126 on: 25/07/2011 00:59:23 »
French doctor David Servan-Schreiber is dead today. He was fighting a brain cancer. He was was a defender of nutrition as additional therapy. On a video he gave me the solution of the effect of sugar and high glycemic index food on inflammation that I consider as the best explanation for my Pois improvement since 2008.

That's unfortunate.  I have always known that when I eat a large unhealthy meal, or even something as simple as drink a soda with high fructose corn syrup, my brain fog becomes "horrifically" severe for 30mins - 3 hours.  Not like a big meal sleepiness, but like my brain just stops functioning at all.  Sometimes a stimulant like coffee can help reduce how bad it gets during those periods.  B_Jim, if you have more info on the inflammation link, I'd love to read it. 

This "inflammation" is another large puzzle piece that we need to ultimately hand over to our NORD selected researcher to aid him/her in understanding WHAT pois is and HOW is manifests its symptoms.   

« Last Edit: 25/07/2011 01:09:59 by B_Daniel »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14127 on: 25/07/2011 01:07:26 »
...I'll try B3 100mg this week.

Hey namesake! - I have so far bought nicotinamide ("niacinamide") and also Inositol Hexanicotinate - which are both niacin variations that do not provide the flush.  The right stuff to get is niacin (also known as vitamin B3, nicotinic acid and vitamin PP).  You likely already know this, just wanted to make doubly sure that no one else does what I did!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14128 on: 25/07/2011 05:57:48 »

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #14129 on: 25/07/2011 12:28:25 »
On this first phase, if we have good success, (let's say 50% of us have 80% relief, or some similar indicator) we should look into why and how it is working. Because one thing is "breakthrough" in finding symptom relief, and another is "breakthrough" as in cure!

The early indications are that Dr Waldinger was right on the money - his method of treating an allergic reaction to semen is textbook medical science:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergen_immunotherapy

My uninformed guess would be that the niacin is depleting the body's supply of histamine, so that the POIS allergic reaction ends up being far less severe. I'm not knowledgable enough to understand the exact mechanism by which niacin might prevent POIS, but the link between histamines and allergic reactions is very strong - it seems very likely that niacin's interaction with histamines is the key to why niacin "works".

I don't think that niacin will end up being regarded as a cure, but it could well turn out to be the best short-term solution for dealing with day-to-day POIS. If it can work long-term without causing liver damage (as determined by regular blood tests), then it would be pretty amazing.

Dr Waldinger's semen desensitisation may well be the long-term cure, but only time can tell how effective it will be years from now. In the meantime, if niacin holds up, it could be the closest we have come so far to ridding ourselves of POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14130 on: 26/07/2011 05:15:35 »

We started a POIS Research Fund to boost our final and fatal attack on The POIS Monster! Explained here:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=125.0

We raised $2,150 in just the first 2 weeks, with much more pledged!

But we need $33,500. Please give today so we can get rid of POIS once and for all!
Go to the POIS Fund donation site and Let's Make It Happen, Everybody!

http://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations

« Last Edit: 26/07/2011 05:25:08 by demografx »

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14131 on: 27/07/2011 06:35:19 »
Niacin Pills Report #4:

Okay Guys for this little experiment, I tried to do something which would normally have had me in VERY VERY POIS, cowering in a corner somewhere, shutting myself away from the world - completely unmotivated, lethargic, full of brain Fog and likely depressed. I have tried to O twice in two days - both times using Niacin (Nicotinic Acid Pills).

Monday Night:
Dosage: 3 x 100mg Nicotinic Acid Pills about 40 Minutes prior to O.

Straight after O, absoloutely no Brain Fog which is my main symptom straight after O. Was able to sleep fine - It seems that the Niacin Side Effects that I initially had are starting to wear off.

Tuesday Morning:
Woke up the next morning, was again absolutely amazed that I was NOT lethargic, and had Zero Brain Fog. It really is a DIFFERENT feeling waking up the next morning - expecting POIS but having NONE. Throughout the day, I maybe had 5-10% of Brain Fog - but it's hard to tell if this was due to brain fog or something else/stress/headache etc...

Tuesday Night:
Dosage: 3 x 100mg Nicotinic Acid Pills about 40 Minutes prior to O.

Same Scenario as previous night - No problems sleeping or overheating at all.

Wednesday Morning:
I woke up this morning, really really expecting POIS - some of Lethargy or brain fog at least. To my great suprise I had absotley NOTHING. It is currently about 3.21pm here - and I have had absolutely Zero symptoms all Day. I feel absolutely fantastic today - This is probably a combination of it being a Sunny day here AND the fact I have no POIS today, and are very excited by this little experiment.

Notes:
- I am VERY VERY excited by this test, I wanted to do something that would have for SURE put me in POIS previously.
- I did this test to prove to myself that this is NOT a PLACEBO effect.
- I made SURE that I took the Pills at least 30 mins Prior to O, and that I felt the FLUSH effect completely - and let it pass before O. I feel this is a critical component.
- I think that if you do not do the above, the damage would have already been done if you O - and these pills would only have little effect (although they still will have some).
- I will try to reduce my dosage soon, but at this stage am reluctant, as I am getting such good results.
- Please Keep posting our Results - GOOD or BAD.

If you will now excuse me, I am going to make some 'I LOVE B3' Tshirts to wear around. I think some of you here also made some promises about putting up posters of a certain Guy and his CAT  ;D

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14132 on: 27/07/2011 08:47:22 »
EXCELLENT results, thank you SO MUCH, I'm very glad for you jivetalk!

Victor
« Last Edit: 27/07/2011 08:49:29 by victor.kons »

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #14133 on: 27/07/2011 08:49:05 »
Yesterday took 2 x 500mg Niacin (on day 2) at 10pm.
Woke up at 3am with bad sunburn type effect, skin pain. Then woke in morning 7am feeling like I had 2/3 beers the night before.
Its not for me,
its the harshest food supplement ever. I think even smaller doses will be bad for my liver over time.

Pills, sunburn, hangover...like a night out in Ibiza without the fun.
« Last Edit: 27/07/2011 08:59:07 by horizon »

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14134 on: 27/07/2011 09:05:52 »
Woke up at 3am with bad sunburn type effect, skin pain. Then woke in morning 7am feeling like I had 2/3 beers the night before.
Sounds like a VERY BIG dose. I had feeling like that even from 100mg niacin acid tablet. You had dose 10 times bigger than me.

Thats why I like injections of XN, because I need pretty small dose and have no reaction neither from liver nor from stomach.

Its not for me,
its the harshest food supplement ever. I think even smaller doses will be bad for my liver over time.

Not for me either, not a long time solution. XN injections is a long time solution for me.

Warning! Don't try self-injections without consulting from your doctor, you might cause permanent injury to yourself.

Victor

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #14135 on: 27/07/2011 10:41:48 »
Sounds like a VERY BIG dose. I had feeling like that even from 100mg niacin acid tablet. You had dose 10 times bigger than me.

lol, yeah i was abit complacent because it was only food supplement.

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14136 on: 27/07/2011 13:33:50 »

Hahaha...Horizon. I would encourage you to try a smaller dose - BEFORE Orgasm. Please do not dismiss Niacin because I feel you have not given it a fair chance.
Please consult with your doctor too though.

I feel that taking Niacin AFTER the event will do very little. I think Victor will also attest to that.

I think if you O without Niacin, DAMAGE is done. Therefore Taking Niacin afterwards will do little. By Taking Niacin prior - It somehow PREVENTS Damage, which means you do not get affected by POIS or at least get affected a lot less.

Note:  Please also ensure that it is Nicotinic Acid you are Taking - Also NOT Slow Release.
« Last Edit: 27/07/2011 13:39:44 by jivetalk »

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14137 on: 27/07/2011 13:35:20 »
EXCELLENT results, thank you SO MUCH, I'm very glad for you jivetalk!

Victor

Thank YOU Victor. I must say, if it wasn't for you who came onto these forums and encouraged us to look at Niacin and Niacin Derivatives like XN - I would not have found this solution. So Thank YOU Victor - Very Very Much.

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14138 on: 27/07/2011 13:41:00 »

Hahaha...Horizon. I would encourage you to try a smaller dose - BEFORE Orgasm. Please do not dismiss Niacin because I feel you have not given it a fair chance.
Please consult with your doctor too though.

I feel that taking Niacin AFTER the event will do very little. I think Victor will also attest to that.

I think if you O without Niacin, DAMAGE is done. Therefore Taking Niacin afterwards will do little. By Taking Niacin prior - It somehow PREVENTS Damage, which means you do not get affected by POIS or at least get affected a lot less.
Yes, I completely agree with Jivetalk, - taking Niacin afterwards is doing little. Niacin should be taken prior to orgasm to prevent POIS symptoms.

Victor

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14139 on: 27/07/2011 14:29:43 »
Here is the pharmacokinetics of an oral pill and the optimal effect in the body :
(it can fluctuate, regarding the pills, but this is an average) Our next step is to know it for the Niacin/XN. If someone has it already?  ;D

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14140 on: 27/07/2011 15:49:55 »
Victor.cons Do you know some russian trusted online pharmacies?

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14141 on: 27/07/2011 17:11:50 »
Victor.cons Do you know some russian trusted online pharmacies?
Sorry, I don't know such pharmacies.

Victor

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14142 on: 27/07/2011 18:49:49 »
XN, 1000mg slow release pills dont work. I took 1 pill at 12 and after a while i felt light warm feeling in my face, had O. after 2h. What i feel: tension inside my head, you know what i mean, and im very tired and lazy. So im POISed

On the leaflet its sait 1000mg for 6-8 hours release. So after 2h i should have taken 300mg XN but as I said, it must be a quick action.
« Last Edit: 27/07/2011 19:26:33 by Starsky »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14143 on: 27/07/2011 19:34:42 »
Hi all! I'm new. I'm from Europe, Spain. I think i suffer from POIS since i was 14 years old. I remember i began to suffer from brain fog and scalp pain and i didn't know what it was. Then one day i tried to stop masturbating for 1 week, and bingo! the symptoms were gone. I felt great. But stopping to masturbate is a difficult task. For the next years the symptoms have been more severe. What i experience now (30 year old) after masturbation:

- Dry skin (my face and body become dehydrated)
- Scalp pain: after masturbation my scalp is very tender to the touch
- Low energy
- Diziness when i stand up suddenly: orthostatic intolerance
- Strange feeling around my heart. Heart beats are more strong
- Severe hair loss
- Depressive and melancholic feelings

The only thing that helps me after POIS is going out and doing some jogging. Exercice helps me a lot. I don't know what i would do without exercice...Probably kill myself LOL.

Sometimes i think it is a cardiovascular issue. I mean, one part of the problem is when i have an orgasm, i can feel capillaries dilate! Specially in my scalp. I that's what's making the problem later. So, I know some of you tried Beta Blockers, and didn't work for you, but i still think it makes a lot of sense to try to prevent that capillary dilation in the first place.

When i have a dry orgasm, i can't feel the capillaries dilate in the same way. So, there we have a clue.

Also, i found interesting the Histamine issue, because it is also related with capillaries, and allergies.

I don't know if this page is a scam, but here it goes: http://www.restoreunity.org/natural_method_antihistamine.htm

It points out natural methods to stop histamine. It says this about Niacin:

"4.      Supplement the form of niacin called inositol hexanicotinate.  It can cross the blood brain barrier more effectively than niacin.  It has no flush, while niacin has a flush.  Niacin can increase cell membrane permeability.  Increasing cell permeability can improve the ability of supplements to penetrate into cells.  Dr. Bob advised 100 mg of hexanicotinate in the AM along with methionine supplementation. "

Also, i find it interesting to try Finasteride. It blocks DHT. Sometimes after masturbating i feel the problem could be converting too much testosterone to DHT. That would explain the huge hair loss i suffer instantly after masturbation.

Sorry for the long post!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14144 on: 27/07/2011 20:48:05 »

Quasar, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the file for that TV documentary, "Desperate Measures", which can be downloaded and played. The segment starts at about 12:20..
http://www.fileserve.com/file/cUtJa9R/TITLE01.mp4

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 27/07/2011 20:51:06 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #14145 on: 27/07/2011 21:41:42 »
Can anyone comment on the important differences between niacin and niacinamide?  I read on wikipedia that niacin, once ingested, is converted to niacinamide.  Niacinamide will not cause a flush, and has some other effects.  I read in a health food store that niacinamide helps with metabolism more than niacin, but I have not been able to find this information elsewhere.  I have not yet had time to take a good look at the wiki pages, but I am curious what people are taking here -- Niacin or Niacinamide?

Offline FinalPanic

• View Profile
« Reply #14146 on: 27/07/2011 22:10:15 »
Hi all - long time since I have posted - but I do read on occasion. I have followed up an earlier post and have sent an email to Dr Goldmeier, I will let you know how I get on with this.

I seem to be suffering less - maybe only a day or two - it used to be several days. I do not know what has changed, but something has helped. I have given up smoking, alcohol (I used to do a lot of both), I eat a lot more fresh vegetables and less junk, I now also exercise regularly. I did try the Rellora thing for a while - it actually has helped me with underlying anxiety problems - it seems to have broken a vicious cycle in that respect. It is possible that a healthier lifestyle has improved my ability to cope, but as things are still not right I will see what response I get from Dr Goldmeier. All the best.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14147 on: 28/07/2011 00:25:56 »
Its not for me,

Horizon, No WONDER you felt bad. 2x500mg is a horrendous dosage, especially for a first time.

Even 3x100 is a fair bit, but between that and 1000mg there's a tremendous difference.

Hope you are better. Please be careful!

Offline silverandcol

• View Profile
« Reply #14148 on: 28/07/2011 00:40:17 »
Its not for me,

Horizon, No WONDER you felt bad. 2x500mg is a horrendous dosage, especially for a first time.

Even 3x100 is a fair bit, but between that and 1000mg there's a tremendous difference.

Hope you are better. Please be careful!

Yup, it is also not good for the body to take that much.  The xan-pro tablets I have only have 42mg of niacin and 150mg of XN.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14149 on: 28/07/2011 05:56:04 »

If you will now excuse me, I am going to make some 'I LOVE B3' Tshirts to wear around. I think some of you here also made some promises about putting up posters of a certain Guy and his CAT  ;D

That's hilarious!  First of all, I'd love an I heart B3 or maybe even a B3 is my Homeboy t-shirt.  Second, it'd be a bit cruel to have Demo hang up a picture of a banned former-member of the forum.  Victor, do you have a cat??  Maybe a picture of Victor would be a good compromise!  ;D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14149 on: 28/07/2011 05:56:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length