The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6425261 times)

Offline FinalPanic

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14175 on: 30/07/2011 22:19:52 »
In reference to the above considerations - I have had pretty obvious POIS symptoms for best part of 28 years - it can be variable but all the feelings are identifiable as regularly discussed on here. My situation has improved with a healthier lifestyle but it is still far from perfect - just more manageable. I had often considered that I had been somehow afflicted by something that was causing a lot of fatigue in general and having an O simply drained the final energy remaining leading to a rapid downward spiral, from which recovery was a slow process - the depletion effectively leading to the POIS effect (I had considered the virus angle). It has been a very isolating and distressing time - it feels like the most stupid condition to have and I have been continually told by Dr's that I suffer from anxiety and so on (not so sure now). After orgasm I feel really great - wanting more - it takes about half an hour for the POIS to manifest - usually feeling uncomfortably hot (no temperature increase though - checked for that) and agitated with a strange scratchy headache and painful eye-sockets, then I get very down at the symptoms leading to a feeling of wanting to withdraw and be left alone, conversation feels like I have had too much to drink in a room full of teetotalers - all so unnerving. It makes me feel stupid and like I am living life through treacle (the brain fog I guess). Can this really be an allergic reaction - I suppose it can. I too have had days of abstinence and feeling empowered - almost elated - had occurred to me that maybe that was just a 'normal' feeling for most people, one that I rarely get to experience. I do seem to have variable amounts of fatigue - I can wake up more tired than when I go to bed sometimes - almost POIS like - all so confusing.

Enough of that - I have had a reply from Dr. Goldmeier:

"The psychologists I work with are doing neuropsychiatric testing to see if we can pick up objective evidence of poor brain function post orgasm compared to well time.

The immunologists are looking at semen allergy- but they are only seeing patients v slowly

If you want to come to see me- please let me have your name, dob and address"

I now just have to get motivated - will do my best as this in not exactly a local call for me and I am misunderstood at home (not believed).

Offline FinalPanic

• View Profile
« Reply #14176 on: 30/07/2011 22:47:05 »
I am sure that this has been asked before - but it is hard to work through 100's of posts to find out. The allergy hypothesis is looking quite popular - it was even reported in last months Fortean Times magazine, it is good to see the coverage. What I am trying to get straight in my mind is when does the reaction take place - we obviously carry our semen around day-in day-out with no obvious issues. Is there some point of contact with the body that triggers this off. I know that I can be bought to the point of 'O' and the stop right before the actual event (big self-control required here) but still with semen being released - but there is no POIS afterwards. Carry on through and the symptoms will hit. I still think it possible the 'hit' from the orgasm can still be somehow responsible (like the mother of all hangovers) - any thoughts? Or am I way behind the curve on this?

I still find that a couple of Nytol help the next night.
« Last Edit: 30/07/2011 22:48:47 by FinalPanic »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14177 on: 31/07/2011 03:26:38 »
I am sure that this has been asked before - but it is hard to work through 100's of posts to find out. The allergy hypothesis is looking quite popular - it was even reported in last months Fortean Times magazine, it is good to see the coverage. What I am trying to get straight in my mind is when does the reaction take place - we obviously carry our semen around day-in day-out with no obvious issues. Is there some point of contact with the body that triggers this off. I know that I can be bought to the point of 'O' and the stop right before the actual event (big self-control required here) but still with semen being released - but there is no POIS afterwards. Carry on through and the symptoms will hit. I still think it possible the 'hit' from the orgasm can still be somehow responsible (like the mother of all hangovers) - any thoughts? Or am I way behind the curve on this?

Yes, FinalPanic, I asked this same question a few months back.   Basically, what I asked, is why when I play with myself (but don't get the big "O") I can still get fluid through the Urethra, but it doesn't bring on the full POIS force?  I was almost trying to prove that it is NOT an allergic reaction.

The response was from Guthrie. It was a great response so I paste it here for you:

I think we should distinguish between three different potential allergens: 1) sperm, 2) ejaculate-semen, 3) pre-ejaculate fluid.

So, when you masturbate, while stopping before ejaculation, pre-ejaculate (3) flows through your urethra, but semen (2) does not flow through your urethra.

We know that some people develop a POIS episode just from 3, without the occurrence of 1 or 2.  And, for instance, in Demo's case, he still has POIS symptoms after getting rid of 1, while 2 and 3 remain for him.  

Thus, ... we should ... take into account and distinguish the various elements that can potentially be contributing to an auto-immune reaction.

To rephrase part of what Guthrie wrote, some of us get POIS from the pre-cum AND the seminal fluid.  Some of us just get it from the seminal fluid.

I'll answer your other questions more specifically.

Quote:
I still think it possible the 'hit' from the orgasm can still be somehow responsible (like the mother of all hangovers) - any thoughts?

Yes - that is somewhat possible.  It's possible that the dopamine rush you got from the "O" is so intense, that similat to the after effect of a hardcore drug, you have depleted your seratonine and you get POIS.  However this has been disproved by night emissions.  Some ppl can have a Night Emission, and then wake up in the morning with full throttle POIS, although they got no pleasure out of it.  They didn't get the dopamine rush, but they did get the POIS.  You can test this on yourself by having an "O" and release all pressure on yourself as you "O".  It won't feel great, and you'll get full POIS.

Quote:
What I am trying to get straight in my mind is when does the reaction take place?

My rudimentary understanding is that when POISers have an "O", the allergic reaction begins when the seminal fluid hits the Urethra wall, the Vas Deferens, or somewhere else - as long as the seminal fluid passes the testes/blood barrier, we can then have caused the allergic reaction and the POIS chain of events can begin.  So at the point of the "O" is definitely WHEN.  That's pretty much agreed upon.  It's the HOW and WHERE that comprise most of the mystery.

Hopefully that answers your question.
« Last Edit: 31/07/2011 05:16:22 by B_Daniel »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14178 on: 31/07/2011 03:45:39 »
I want to be selfish and get back to my question regarding never feeling like Superman anymore.

So I have a feeling that if I masturbated twice a day for a week straight, and started this biofeedback mechanism cycle that my body always THOUGHT that I was going to "O" again soon, and then I went cold turkey from sexual activity for a week, I think that I would fill up to the point of pain, and I would feel like Superman again. But that's such a painful/uncomfortable/unsustainable state for me to be in.  If this is true, I find it unfortunate that I can only be 100% when I'm in pain.

Do other people agree/disagree with this fullness theory of mine?   Has this issue been broached before?

So if this new theory is valid, I now look at this Saw Palmetto that I've been taking for 2 months now.  It shrinks my prostate and reduces the amount of fluid in me (or so it feels like).  I always thought it was a godsend - my urges are reduced and I can go longer btwn "O"s.  But given my new thought process on this, I'm now beginning to think that it does me more harm than good, as it helps keep me in a constant state of 10-20% POIS.  To all those on a prostate medication like Flomax or Avodart - can you attest that you also don't feel like Superman on your non-POIS days bc you're never actually completely full?

Demo - your T replacement - you mentioned once before that that helps you rejuvenate more rapidly.  Does it also fill you up so that you're uncomfortably full and your mind is 100%??

What I'm getting at is I need to find a way to fill myself up and feel like Superman again.  Not that I would do it all the time, but I would like to have the ability/option to do it.  Even if it's uncomfortable, there are times when a lot is demanded from me at work or school and i can't just feel half-normal and get by. 
« Last Edit: 31/07/2011 03:49:05 by B_Daniel »

Offline pois_pois_go_away

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14179 on: 31/07/2011 05:48:47 »
Hi guys. I've been a lurker on this forum for a loooong time, checking in occasionally to see what progress may have been made. Sorry I have not contributed to the forum in that time but work, family, and other things have just kept me too busy.

I would tell all the details of my story but it's pretty much been heard before here many times. This thing has plagued my life and is, as you all know, a major curse and a cruel, cruel joke. Like many here, it lasts for a good 5 days with me and hence, I abstain for weeks and even months or else risk my job anything else having to do with being a normal, productive human being. It's a total panic, and I go from intelligent, dynamic superman to a worthless, shriveled shell of a human being who doesn't want to face anyone or anything until the horror passes.

Needless to say this is a huge hit with my wife, who loves sex and deserves the best. Thank GOD she's incredibly understanding, never makes me feel bad about it, and we just both want to work to find a solution. But now I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and state for the record that although I greatly appreciate the work that's been done on the study and allergy theory, I'm not buying it for one single minute. I know this thing better than the back of my hand (no pun intended), we've been "friends" now for many years.

I just know, intuitively, beyond any "facts" that what I experience is nothing like an allergic reaction. It's more like being impaled by Kryptonite. It's like my entire physical, mental and spiritual beings DIE. It's more than any flu-like symptoms, more than any allergic reaction, and more than anything that can even be described with mere words. This much I know: THERE'S MORE TO IT than what's being concluded here.

I wish I could contribute something more but I'm afraid that's it. Thanks for listening...

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14180 on: 31/07/2011 06:33:45 »
I want to be selfish and get back to my question regarding never feeling like Superman anymore.

So I have a feeling that if I masturbated twice a day for a week straight, and started this biofeedback mechanism cycle that my body always THOUGHT that I was going to "O" again soon, and then I went cold turkey from sexual activity for a week, I think that I would fill up to the point of pain, and I would feel like Superman again. But that's such a painful/uncomfortable/unsustainable state for me to be in.  If this is true, I find it unfortunate that I can only be 100% when I'm in pain.

Do other people agree/disagree with this fullness theory of mine?   Has this issue been broached before?

So if this new theory is valid, I now look at this Saw Palmetto that I've been taking for 2 months now.  It shrinks my prostate and reduces the amount of fluid in me (or so it feels like).  I always thought it was a godsend - my urges are reduced and I can go longer btwn "O"s.  But given my new thought process on this, I'm now beginning to think that it does me more harm than good, as it helps keep me in a constant state of 10-20% POIS.  To all those on a prostate medication like Flomax or Avodart - can you attest that you also don't feel like Superman on your non-POIS days bc you're never actually completely full?

Demo - your T replacement - you mentioned once before that that helps you rejuvenate more rapidly.  Does it also fill you up so that you're uncomfortably full and your mind is 100%??

What I'm getting at is I need to find a way to fill myself up and feel like Superman again.  Not that I would do it all the time, but I would like to have the ability/option to do it.  Even if it's uncomfortable, there are times when a lot is demanded from me at work or school and i can't just feel half-normal and get by. 

I used to get superhuman feeling on consistent basis and with that came extremely full testicles that hurted when water from shower it.
I dont get extremely full testicles anymore, and that stoped around the moment i tried dr lins product and dhea.  But when i do get a chance to heal it is a hit and miss with superhuman feeling but i do get superhuman feeling without full testicles.  So i dont think it has anything to do with full testicles. 

But your experience with not healing all the way even after abstaining for a long time is the same dilemma i face alot now.   
my theories;
not getting enough sleep during recovery week,
food allergy
sex dreams ( dreams about sex give me pois symptoms)
all that superhumanfeeling has taxed the body
the scariest of all,so much pois is starting affect the brain even outside of pois.

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #14181 on: 31/07/2011 09:58:47 »
Hi Folks,
I've been working on some graphs and just posted them up on the Theoretical discussion thread (page 4!)of the new forum. Please have a looksee and comment. This was based on a very interesting article ( forwarded to me by lauracostis) which showed a relationship between ejaculation, and a period of 7 day semen regeneration. 
This was a scientific study, and could be a clue linking semen regeneration to POIS.
The work is theoretical, so please take it with a grain of salt! I made the graphs, and they can be modified or revised... Hope it generates some discussion.
thanks
« Last Edit: 31/07/2011 10:22:17 by Animus »

Offline FinalPanic

• View Profile
« Reply #14182 on: 31/07/2011 10:30:25 »

Yes, FinalPanic, I asked this same question a few months back.   Basically, what I asked, is why when I play with myself (but don't get the big "O") I can still get fluid through the Urethra, but it doesn't bring on the full POIS force?  I was almost trying to prove that it is NOT an allergic reaction.

The response was from Guthrie. It was a great response so I paste it here for you:

I think we should distinguish between three different potential allergens: 1) sperm, 2) ejaculate-semen, 3) pre-ejaculate fluid.

So, when you masturbate, while stopping before ejaculation, pre-ejaculate (3) flows through your urethra, but semen (2) does not flow through your urethra.

We know that some people develop a POIS episode just from 3, without the occurrence of 1 or 2.  And, for instance, in Demo's case, he still has POIS symptoms after getting rid of 1, while 2 and 3 remain for him.  

Thus, ... we should ... take into account and distinguish the various elements that can potentially be contributing to an auto-immune reaction.

To rephrase part of what Guthrie wrote, some of us get POIS from the pre-cum AND the seminal fluid.  Some of us just get it from the seminal fluid.

I'll answer your other questions more specifically.

Quote:
I still think it possible the 'hit' from the orgasm can still be somehow responsible (like the mother of all hangovers) - any thoughts?

Yes - that is somewhat possible.  It's possible that the dopamine rush you got from the "O" is so intense, that similat to the after effect of a hardcore drug, you have depleted your seratonine and you get POIS.  However this has been disproved by night emissions.  Some ppl can have a Night Emission, and then wake up in the morning with full throttle POIS, although they got no pleasure out of it.  They didn't get the dopamine rush, but they did get the POIS.  You can test this on yourself by having an "O" and release all pressure on yourself as you "O".  It won't feel great, and you'll get full POIS.

Quote:
What I am trying to get straight in my mind is when does the reaction take place?

My rudimentary understanding is that when POISers have an "O", the allergic reaction begins when the seminal fluid hits the Urethra wall, the Vas Deferens, or somewhere else - as long as the seminal fluid passes the testes/blood barrier, we can then have caused the allergic reaction and the POIS chain of events can begin.  So at the point of the "O" is definitely WHEN.  That's pretty much agreed upon.  It's the HOW and WHERE that comprise most of the mystery.

Hopefully that answers your question.

B_Daniel - thank you for this reply I will read through it is very helpful.

I am trying to be objective with myself and have not long back (couple of hours) managed to produce semen but no O - I felt like crap yesterday anyway due to not much sleep. So it is a bit difficult to be specific about how I now in feel in case it is still lagging tiredness interferring. But it does seem I have caused underlying symptoms of POIS in this process. Not severe but my head feels heavy and aches - but not much else. I would expect that an allergic reaction would be the same hit whatever the circumstances and compositional content of the fluid. Meaning if the allergen is present my reaction should always be the same and not variable based on the amount of allergen. Is that possibly a correct assertion? I will try this again with a bit more awareness of how I feel before and after. I will then carry on to O a few hours later and see if anything worse develops. I have no idea if this helps - but it may bring me some greater understanding. If the cause can be variable - i.e. more than one trigger exists for POIS symptoms we have a problem. For some it may be the O rush, others an allergic reaction to differing fluids and so on - the condition 'exists' but the triggers may be different?

It has also occurred to me that I now have POIS but it seems light - is it possible that over anxiety about the expectant condition after an O actually makes the problem worse - I am not currently feeling any guilt for indulging fully, and just feeling the absolute condition? Once anxiety symptoms get a hold they are so difficult to get rid of - it is such a vicious circle.

Offline FinalPanic

• View Profile
« Reply #14183 on: 31/07/2011 10:34:00 »
I very rarely have a NE - as far as I am aware I have not had POIS as a result - in fact it has been quite liberating when it has happened for that reason - I had not given this much consideration previously.

Edit: What I have considered is that the fluids composition appears different - much more liquidy and clearer in appearance. Maybe another clue for me in there somewhere!
« Last Edit: 31/07/2011 10:48:48 by FinalPanic »

Offline FinalPanic

• View Profile
« Reply #14184 on: 31/07/2011 10:45:25 »
Hi guys. I've been a lurker on this forum for a loooong time, checking in occasionally to see what progress may have been made. Sorry I have not contributed to the forum in that time but work, family, and other things have just kept me too busy.

I would tell all the details of my story but it's pretty much been heard before here many times. This thing has plagued my life and is, as you all know, a major curse and a cruel, cruel joke. Like many here, it lasts for a good 5 days with me and hence, I abstain for weeks and even months or else risk my job anything else having to do with being a normal, productive human being. It's a total panic, and I go from intelligent, dynamic superman to a worthless, shriveled shell of a human being who doesn't want to face anyone or anything until the horror passes.

Needless to say this is a huge hit with my wife, who loves sex and deserves the best. Thank GOD she's incredibly understanding, never makes me feel bad about it, and we just both want to work to find a solution. But now I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and state for the record that although I greatly appreciate the work that's been done on the study and allergy theory, I'm not buying it for one single minute. I know this thing better than the back of my hand (no pun intended), we've been "friends" now for many years.

I just know, intuitively, beyond any "facts" that what I experience is nothing like an allergic reaction. It's more like being impaled by Kryptonite. It's like my entire physical, mental and spiritual beings DIE. It's more than any flu-like symptoms, more than any allergic reaction, and more than anything that can even be described with mere words. This much I know: THERE'S MORE TO IT than what's being concluded here.

I wish I could contribute something more but I'm afraid that's it. Thanks for listening...

I appreciate how you feel - I have similar thoughts - along with the "Why me" questions and theories - all churning in my head - it is a real blight. I too have had doubts about this being an allergy - but hopefully the science will help now - it has to be remembered how severe an allergy can be - it can be a killer for some people - so what we experience is not that severe - it's the reason that is so terrible - avoiding certain foods is possibly much easier than abstinence from sexual activity for which we are so strongly pre-programmed to do. If we got POIS from eating certain foods I am sure we would be more accepting and simply avoid it and get on with life - probably not even discuss it online?

The allergy route is one that can be explored by medical science and proved one way or the other - so it is worth doing. Are you in the UK by the way? Want to join me in a visit to the good Dr in London?

Offline rjmlr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14185 on: 31/07/2011 11:48:44 »
Hello fellow POISers,

Pointing to a German research study linking testosterones with the immune system.
Testosterone plays a key role in the modulation of the immune response.

See
newbielink:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110726093146.htm [nonactive]

The treatments that some of us tried - Garlic, fenugreek etc. increase testosterone. But garlic and fenugreek also have an antihistamine effect.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14186 on: 31/07/2011 19:57:56 »
SUPERMAN FEELING

Yes yes yes.

It is a very complex question. 

I think SUPERMAN is an indicator of what our NORMAL STATE would be like if we didn't have POIS!

It is complex because (in my case) it is not entirely predictably related to fullness...although often it is!!

Since my testosterone treatment I am 80% POIS free for 2+ years. But I still have Superman days. That's because the 20% is all upfront, so I spend several hours to a day in a fog, then it lifts, and if I remain abstinent it often morphs into Superman.

To me it's an incredibly exciting peek into our potential!

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #14187 on: 31/07/2011 23:53:23 »

I appreciate how you feel - I have similar thoughts - along with the "Why me" questions and theories - all churning in my head - it is a real blight. I too have had doubts about this being an allergy - but hopefully the science will help now - it has to be remembered how severe an allergy can be - it can be a killer for some people - so what we experience is not that severe - it's the reason that is so terrible - avoiding certain foods is possibly much easier than abstinence from sexual activity for which we are so strongly pre-programmed to do. If we got POIS from eating certain foods I am sure we would be more accepting and simply avoid it and get on with life - probably not even discuss it online?

The allergy route is one that can be explored by medical science and proved one way or the other - so it is worth doing. Are you in the UK by the way? Want to join me in a visit to the good Dr in London?

I appreciate how you both feel. And I agree that intuitively I don't feel it's an allergy either. There are so many things which uniquely don't fit into the allergy category about POIS. So I've been working on a different theory which relates POIS to the accelerated Spermatogenesis (regeneration theory) which occurs after ejaculation. This lasts for 7 days.
I have a lot of respect for the allergy theory, however, and research into it is doing a lot of good! The regeneration theory would probably have it's contribution, hopefully, too.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2011 00:14:55 by Animus »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14188 on: 01/08/2011 01:02:37 »
I also get that "Superman feeling" when i am 7 days without sex. But i think we call it "superman" because of the huge difference between being poised, and being un-poised. In fact, that "superman feeling" reminds me when i was a kid and i had no pois. I felt that way when i was a kid! So, i think that people who has no pois always feels that superman feeling. But they are used to it, so they don't appreciate so much as we do.

Speaking about theories, i also have respect to the allergy theory, and i think it can be possible, because allergies can be very serious, specially if they occur inside the body.

But i also believe in other theories: like the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the Regeneration Theory, also theories about Dopamine and Neurotransmitters and theories about the circulatory system.

In fact, i made some testing with myself:

If i masturbate and stop before ejaculation --> no POIS or very mild POIS
If i masturbate  pressing firmly below the scrotum before ejaculating (dry orgasm) --> no POIS or very mild POIS.
The same as above, but this time i did not succeed completely and some semen came out --> no POIS or very mild POIS!!
If i masturbate the standard way --> Full POIS.

What's more, i only get that strange feeling in my scalp (like capillaries dilating) only when i masturbate the standard way. I have trouble understanding how it can be an allergy if stopping the semen in the scrotum does not give POIS, and not stopping it does give POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14189 on: 01/08/2011 03:22:47 »

pois_pois_go_away, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the file for that TV documentary, "Desperate Measures", which can be downloaded and played. The segment starts at about 12:20..
http://www.fileserve.com/file/cUtJa9R/TITLE01.mp4

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline silverandcol

• View Profile
« Reply #14190 on: 02/08/2011 02:31:36 »
Yeh that superman feeling is the best thing ever. I feel like nothing can stop me and I can come back from anything.  IT not just a feeling too because I recover from sickness way easier in this mode and and dire situations I get into I can walk away safety with my enhanced judgment ability.

Also I think we now have enough proof to urge many of these spirit crushed fellow pois members to try Niacin or XN to solve their problems.  There are definitely enough success stories here to make it a good idea to alleviate POIS sufferers from the basic simple of POIS.  This way they can live their lives normally before they grow old or reach a point of wanting to kill themselves.  Having more people testing will also lead us closer to the optimal way to use these supplements to their full benefits while lowering any potential harm such as liver damage.

Of course this is not the final solution and their is much to be done. However it is a good start to allow us to live our lives. 

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14191 on: 02/08/2011 14:29:07 »
Haven't been here for a few days... lots of good stuff. Unfortunately I'm in day 1 so a lot isn't entering very well, sort of blurring past my brain!

But B_Daniel, the superhuman feeling has been mentioned a couple of times. I think many of us don't make it there, unless for some reason we are able to abstain long enough. My sessions have a cycles, a little like you mention, where every once in a while there's a bad one. It's like they are cummulative. I have a 7 day minimum. If I wait at least 7 days, whether I feel good or not, I go outside of the cummulative cycle, and have very few BAD cycles. If I cut down to having an "O" as soon as I feel a little better (which can be sometimes 3 to 4 days) I can get away with a couple of short sessions, but within about 3 sessions, BAM comes a bad and long one.

I personally haven't had a real superhuman feeling, but certainly periods where I feel clear, healthy and energetic. I might guess that those who have stronger cognative symptoms perhaps feel more the "superhuman" sensation when their brain comes out of the doldrums.

Offline Media

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14192 on: 02/08/2011 15:38:51 »
Hi, my name is Katie and I spoke with Daveman and Demografx last week about a documentary series we are working on.  We’re looking for someone with POIS to participate and share their story on camera.  Please contact me if you are interested or have any questions: Katie.sciortino@gmail.com.  I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks!

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14193 on: 02/08/2011 19:26:54 »
Hi again Poisers, today i have a bad day :/. Yesterday i was fine but i had sex at night.

I can explain you some symptoms i didn't explain before.

What i feel is, just after the O, the veins in my whole body dilate or something similar, and it feels as the veins are too permeable. I mean, instantly i can see my face is red; little capillaries appear in my tongue and mouth. Even i can feel my voice changes and hurts to talk. I can feel my veins in my chest dilate, and then i have asthma. I also can feel them dilate in my scalp, and the scalp becomes tender. I also can feel them dilating in my stomach/belly, and it becomes flubby.

I don't know if all these happens because of the autoinmune theory, or maybe i/we have a problem with blood vessels. I don't have this problem if i don't ejaculate, so maybe the brain only gives the order to dilate vessels if the ejaculation is complete. It is a natural reaction. Or maybe blood vessels dilate too much because of wrong serotonin levels:

wikipedia:  "Low serotonin levels in the brain may lead to a process of constriction and dilation of the blood vessels which trigger a migraine.[32] Serotonergic agonists like triptans,[32] LSD or psilocin activate serotonin receptors to stop a migraine attack."

Conclusion: it may be wise, at least in my case, to try triptans or beta blockers. Also, a PET scan can detect serotonin levels in our brain.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2011 19:30:40 by Quasar »

Offline Scotty9193

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14194 on: 02/08/2011 20:10:04 »
Hello POIS forum! My name is Scott I'm 17 and I've been a follower of the POIS forum for several months now. As I am a bit of a hypochondriac and because of that I've done a bit of research and I definitively think I have the cause down to a few possible things. Hormonal depletion or fluctuation tends to be the view that makes the most sense. Many of the symptoms of POIS resemble the physical symptoms of depression or low dopamine, as many neurotransmitters levels are cross related (High Dopamine levels= Low seritonin levels as they use many of the same pathways.) It may very well be a fairly large increase the level of a hormone. Another interesting thing I've noticed about my POIS is my blood sugar drops significantly and it becomes a lot more difficult to regulate it for the first few days after orgasm, and many times I find myself Hypoglycemic. As you can see from the following study ( newbielink:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/726914 [nonactive]) Oxytocin produces a tendency towards hypoglycemia.

On the subject of Oxytocin another article to consider is this one: newbielink:http://www.mcmanweb.com/love_lust.html [nonactive]
"High levels of oxytocin and vasopressin may interfere with dopamine and norepinephrine pathways, Dr Fisher explained in the same talk, which may explain why attachment grows as mad passionate love fades. The antidote may be doing novel things together to goose the two love neurotransmitters.

Meanwhile, elevated testosterone can suppress oxytocin and vasopressin..."

As Demo showed before, the testosterone patches speed up his recovery, this might of had something to do with it's relationship to oxytocin and vasopressin. Vasopressin itself is also found to be related to the regulation of blood sugar
" newbielink:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7700836 [nonactive]".

So my question for the forum is, do you tend to feel more hypoglycemic after an episode of POIS? For those of you that don't know what Hypoglycemia is the symptoms are as follows (Thanks Wikipedia):
Adrenergic manifestations
Shakiness, anxiety, nervousness
Palpitations, tachycardia
Sweating, feeling of warmth (although sweat glands have muscarinic receptors, thus "adrenergic manifestations" is not entirely accurate)
Pallor, coldness, clamminess
Dilated pupils (mydriasis)
Feeling of numbness "pins and needles" (paresthesia)
[edit]Glucagon manifestations
Hunger, borborygmus
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort
Headache
[edit]Neuroglycopenic manifestations
Abnormal mentation, impaired judgment
Nonspecific dysphoria, moodiness, depression, crying, exaggerated concerns
Negativism, irritability, belligerence, combativeness, rage
Personality change, emotional lability
Fatigue, weakness, apathy, lethargy, daydreaming, sleep
Confusion, amnesia, dizziness, delirium
Staring, "glassy" look, blurred vision, double vision
Flashes of light in the field of vision
Automatic behavior, also known as automatism
Difficulty speaking, slurred speech
Ataxia, incoordination, sometimes mistaken for "drunkenness"
Focal or general motor deficit, paralysis, hemiparesis
Paresthesia, headache
Stupor, coma, abnormal breathing
Generalized or focal seizures

I also want to refer to the post about the Superman feeling, I also experience that and I've attributed that to a bit of hypomania. Which tends to occur when certain neurotransmitters are too high, I've taken 5-HTP in the past (which increases seritonin) and felt similarly, as well as taken L-DOPA and L- Tyrosine (which increases Dopamine) and gotten a similar feeling to the way I do by day 5 for so after orgasm (talkative, thinking at a million miles an hour, ect). So POIS may have something to do with the regulation of the bodies neurotransmitters (Levels of inhibitory neurotransmitters like GABA may be relevant?), or a certain pathway in the body that affect the level of these neurotransmitters. Either way, this is just a theory and even though it seems to be gaining more and more backing in my eyes, I still have no idea which specific hormone(s), neurotransmitter(s) or pathway(s) are involved. I think it would be and interesting question for an Endocrinologist or someone with a history in Biochemistry. Well that's my 2 cents, tell me what you think forum.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2011 20:13:36 by Scotty9193 »

Offline scooby

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14195 on: 02/08/2011 21:42:19 »
Hi everyone,
I have had my first sexual release in about 18 months apart from a few NE's. Straight away i become more irritable, body starting to ache and an itchy, dirty feeling about my body. Does anyone else get this??
I have to take antidepressant Paroxetine(Seroxat) for my depression and anxiety but i believe it is caused by sexual release. I have tried so hard to beat this with abstinence but it is virtually impossible. I do not know the answer? After so long without sex you would think i would be cured! I even sometimes have itchy hive type spots on my neck of all places which says it is an allergy of some sort. I just feel so helpless as its such an embarassing condition.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14196 on: 02/08/2011 23:48:17 »

Hi, my name is Katie and I spoke with Daveman and Demografx last week about a documentary series we are working on.  We’re looking for someone with POIS to participate and share their story on camera.  Please contact me if you are interested or have any questions: Katie.sciortino@gmail.com.  I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum, Katie, and Many Thanks for this wonderful opportunity!

demo

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14197 on: 03/08/2011 00:10:23 »
Hi everyone,
I have had my first sexual release in about 18 months apart from a few NE's. Straight away i become more irritable, body starting to ache and an itchy, dirty feeling about my body. Does anyone else get this??
I have to take antidepressant Paroxetine(Seroxat) for my depression and anxiety but i believe it is caused by sexual release. I have tried so hard to beat this with abstinence but it is virtually impossible. I do not know the answer? After so long without sex you would think i would be cured! I even sometimes have itchy hive type spots on my neck of all places which says it is an allergy of some sort. I just feel so helpless as its such an embarassing condition.

Wow! 18 months abstinence...this is respectable. I think i couldn't do it. I also get the symptoms you mention. Irritable? Yes. Body aches, itchy and dirty? Yes. In fact, i like to take a shower after having sex, because i feel my hair and skin are dirtier. It's weird.

I also think i'm worse than before, because some years before i had POIS, but i didn't have itchiness. Now, after having an O, i feel some itchiness on my body, but i don't think it's allergy. I think my nervous system is worse and it's starting to fail sometimes. I hope not, but...And also now i have a weird feeling around my cervical vertebrae.

I have so much symptoms!! It's crazy.

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #14198 on: 03/08/2011 04:14:06 »

Katie -- this sounds really exciting!

What specifically are you planning for this documentary series? Is it only about POIS, and if so -- what exactly about POIS are you hoping to focus on?

Can you disclose the name of the documentary series? Also, what is your professional title?  What production company is it?

POIS needs some serious awareness raising, but I'm sure that the men have questions about exactly what it is you're planning.  All input would be appreciated.

I'm not attempting to speak for the group, but I do believe that it means so much to the everyone that someone is interested in this rare, mostly unknown, MISERABLE disorder.

Thank you!!!

Thanks!

demo
« Last Edit: 03/08/2011 05:00:11 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14199 on: 03/08/2011 04:59:02 »

Katie -- this sounds really exciting!

What specifically are you planning for this documentary series? Is it only about POIS, and if so -- what exactly about POIS are you hoping to focus on?

Can you disclose the name of the documentary series? Also, what is your professional title?  What production company is it?

POIS needs some serious awareness raising, but I'm sure that the men have questions about exactly what it is you're planning.  All input would be appreciated.

I'm not attempting to speak for the group, but I do believe that it means so much to the everyone that someone is interested in this rare, mostly unknown, MISERABLE disorder.

Thank you!!!

Thanks!

demo

Stefanie (aka nordnurse), thank you so much for helping to clarify this opportunity for our group!!

Your helpful work on behalf of our forum and POIS sufferers everywhere reminds me of Jerry Lee Lewis' old hit, that is, it leaves me...........breathless!!  :) :) :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14199 on: 03/08/2011 04:59:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length