The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6425577 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14200 on: 03/08/2011 05:55:58 »

Scotty9193, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the file for that TV documentary, "Desperate Measures", which can be downloaded and played. The segment starts at about 12:20..
http://www.fileserve.com/file/cUtJa9R/TITLE01.mp4

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14201 on: 03/08/2011 06:49:46 »
Hi everyone,
I have had my first sexual release in about 18 months apart from a few NE's. Straight away i become more irritable, body starting to ache and an itchy, dirty feeling about my body. Does anyone else get this??
I have to take antidepressant Paroxetine(Seroxat) for my depression and anxiety but i believe it is caused by sexual release. I have tried so hard to beat this with abstinence but it is virtually impossible. I do not know the answer? After so long without sex you would think i would be cured! I even sometimes have itchy hive type spots on my neck of all places which says it is an allergy of some sort. I just feel so helpless as its such an embarassing condition.

Scooby - do you feel good during most of that 18 months?  BC if so your abstinence DOES beat it - as miserable as that abstinence may be

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14202 on: 03/08/2011 07:07:24 »
....Meanwhile, elevated testosterone can suppress oxytocin and vasopressin..."

As Demo showed before, the testosterone patches speed up his recovery, this might of had something to do with it's relationship to oxytocin and vasopressin.

Hey Scott, thanks for posting!  So testosterone and oxytocin ARE correlated.  However, if testosterone (good at reducing POIS) goes up when oxytocin goes down (bad for us), then it appears as if their relationship is the INVERSE of what we'd expect to see.

I found over a period of time researching oxytocin, prolactin, dopamine, and serotonin, that although they share a strong relationship with our symptoms, they just can't be at the core of our problems.  There are just too many discrepancies that I found.  Like, for instance, caffeine makes me feel better on POIS days.  But caffeine raises prolactin levels, not reduces them.  One other big tell all for me is that I've tried every anti-depressant out there.  The anti-depressants specifically adjust my dopamine and serotonin levels - But that didn't make me feel any better... although garlic did.  I know garlic didn't just boost my serotonin more dramatically then ________ (fill in anti-depressant name here). 

I don't know.  Those are my thoughts on that.  Not to say I couldn't be completely wrong though.

And about the hypoglycemic stuff, I wouldn't doubt AT ALL that the pois gives me low blood sugar.  There is definitely a relationship btwn the two.  Just look at B_Jim's healthy diet - it's a diet that prevents hypoglycemia (i believe), and it dually helps reduce his pois symptoms.  Once again though, that might be a component of our symptoms, but i just have trouble believing that that could be a root cause of it all.  Because if that were the case then a sandwich and a nap would cure me  :P
« Last Edit: 03/08/2011 07:26:14 by B_Daniel »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14203 on: 03/08/2011 07:11:08 »

IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE THIS IN YOUR EMAIL RECENTLY, KINDLY LET ME OR DAVEMAN KNOW. THANX!!

Offline EDS

• View Profile
« Reply #14204 on: 03/08/2011 14:02:00 »
I tried the Niacin test before my most recent "O".
I have to say that it seems to help! I is not 100%, but I would rate it at around 50%... possibly more.
I took 250mg 1 hr before "O" and about 1 hr after a large evening meal. I did not feel the "flush" so I did not know if it would help and was wondering if I had the right form of Niacin. I could not find a bottle that listed Nicotinic Acid - only Niacin as the active ingredient. But the label did have the "flush" warning so I assumed it was the right stuff.

I got up the next morning and felt okay (although my worst day is usually day 2) and ate a small breakfast (cereal). Soon after eating I took another 250mg tablet. Nothing happened for about an hour so I thought for sure I had the wrong form of Niacin. Then it hit... hard. The "flush" was very intense, starting at the top of my head and working down to my toes. This is not a good feeling! My skin turned very red and my blood pressure went up - not to a dangerous level, but elevated above my normal BP for morning. I had to get in the pool to help offset the intense heat for about 20 minutes. It took about an hour for the symptoms to subside. I know the hot flush is suppose to be normal, but it was not a good experience  [:(!] (this is about the color I was too).

The great news is... I had one of the best second and third days from "O" than I've had in a long time  ;D. I understand that the "flush" is less intense each time you take Niacin. I don't fully understand why it did not "flush" the first time, unless it was the large meal prior, which caused a very slow ingestion rate of the Niacin.

So do we really have to feel the flush or does it still help if you take it after a large meal? Or, is the one in the am where I felt the intense flush the one that helped the most? More experimentation  :-\

At any rate, I will definitely try Niacin the next time and hope for the same good results and less burning.

Keep up the good work all and let's get OUR NORD fund FULLY funded!!!!
« Last Edit: 04/08/2011 11:56:38 by EDS »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14205 on: 03/08/2011 19:13:55 »
From what we've been learning, it seems the flush is helpful, if not required. And I was JUST reading on Niacin, they recommend taking it on a full stomach to reduce the effect of the flush.

The flush doesn't need to be as strong as it was with your second dose. If you can try a lower dose, maybe half, it would be a good starting point, and take it before food intake.

Victor indicates that the flush should be present and then just pass before the "O".

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14206 on: 03/08/2011 19:16:53 »
For those who did not receive the last newsletter, you can read it at http://poiscenter.com/newsletters/NL-2.htm

I will be posting them there as they also go out by mail. this way if we find anything of value that we can pass on to others, they will be available on the WEB.

Offline Laura_L

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14207 on: 03/08/2011 20:50:30 »

I'm a journalist interested in doing a story on POIS for a major men's magazine. For it, I'm looking for a few men who would be willing to go on the record and talk about their experience with the disease. (You can remain anonymous, if you'd like.) If you're interested in being interviewed or have questions about the story, please email me at laura.leu@gmail.com
« Last Edit: 03/08/2011 21:55:55 by demografx »

Offline apostate801

• View Profile
« Reply #14208 on: 04/08/2011 01:46:18 »
Is Niacin to be taken only when you know you'll orgasm?  If you're already POISed, will taking it alleviate the symptoms?  If you take it regularly and O 6 hours after your last dosage will that help? 

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14209 on: 04/08/2011 13:40:52 »
Is Niacin to be taken only when you know you'll orgasm?  If you're already POISed, will taking it alleviate the symptoms?  If you take it regularly and O 6 hours after your last dosage will that help? 

Hi Apostate,

These are some very good questions. From my experience taking Niacin whilst in POIS does little to alleviate symptoms. As far as taking it regularly, I don't think this will help - All this seems to do is increase your resistance to Niacin making it harder to get a 'flush' when you need it.

The way to use Niacin that seems most effective is to take a dosage of Niacin (I have been taking 300mg) about 45 minutes-60minutes prior to orgasm. You should feel a 'Flush' and let it pass before you O. The Amount of time before the flush, and duration Flush seems to vary depending on how much food is in your stomach.

We are very much in the early stages of testing Niacin, but my results and some others on here have been very promising. Please remember to talk to your health professional before taking Niacin - Yes it is readily available and just a Vitamin Supplement but it can interfere with other medicines and can damage the liver.

If you do try Niacin - Please post your results here, Good or Bad - This will certainly contribute to this groups further understanding.

JT.

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14210 on: 04/08/2011 14:11:33 »
I tried the Niacin test before my most recent "O".
I have to say that it seems to help! I is not 100%, but I would rate it at around 50%... possibly more.
I took 250mg 1 hr before "O" and about 1 hr after a large evening meal. I did not feel the "flush" so I did not know if it would help and was wondering if I had the right form of Niacin. I could not find a bottle that listed Nicotinic Acid - only Niacin as the active ingredient. But the label did have the "flush" warning so I assumed it was the right stuff.

I got up the next morning and felt okay (although my worst day is usually day 2) and ate a small breakfast (cereal). Soon after eating I took another 250mg tablet. Nothing happened for about an hour so I thought for sure I had the wrong form of Niacin. Then it hit... hard. The "flush" was very intense, starting at the top of my head and working down to my toes. This is not a good feeling! My skin turned very red and my blood pressure went up - not to a dangerous level, but elevated above my normal BP for morning. I had to get in the pool to help offset the intense heat for about 20 minutes. It took about an hour for the symptoms to subside. I know the hot flush is suppose to be normal, but it was not a good experience  [:(!] (this is about the color I was too).

The great news is... I had one of the best second and third days from "O" than I've had in a long time  ;D. I understand that the "flush" is less intense each time you take Niacin. I don't fully understand why it did not "flush" the first time, unless it was the large meal prior, which caused a very slow ingestion rate of the Niacin.

So do we really have to feel the flush or does it still help if you take it after a large meal? Or, is the one in the am where I felt the intense flush the one that helped the most? More experimentation  :-\

At any rate, I will definitely try Niacin the next time and hope for the same good results and less burning.

Keep up the good work all and let's get OUR NORD fund FULLY funded!!!!

Thanks for the Report EDS. Great to hear you got some reasonable results first try around. In my experiments I think I seem to get better results based on 'timing', I need to make sure I've had the flush (even if it is minor) before O. But you are right - If I've had a big dinner or something I get very very minor flush or sometimes even none at all.....I just wait about 60 minutes, and by then its usually okay.

Please keep letting us know how you go.

JT

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14211 on: 04/08/2011 15:15:17 »

Apostate801,

There's lot's of information on our other forum of the Niacin experiments at:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0

Basically it is best taken about an hour before "O". A dosages of somewhere around 150 to 300 mg (experiment beforehand with the smaller dose to see how you react to the flush).
Taken after the "O", has much less effect.
Taking it regularly seems to reduce the effectivity, as it seems to desensitize rather than strengthen the effect.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: 05/08/2011 15:32:42 »
FYI

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14213 on: 05/08/2011 17:49:05 »
Hi All,

I continue experiments with Niacin Acid tablets. Seems the effect is stable for me, e.g. no POIS symptoms if tablets are taken 1 hour before "O" in dosage of 150 mg. I've tried this trick 3 times so far, and every time - no POIS.

Warning! Taking Niacin in high doses might cause damage to your liver, please consult with your doctor first

Victor
« Last Edit: 05/08/2011 17:53:24 by victor.kons »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14214 on: 05/08/2011 23:16:12 »
« Last Edit: 05/08/2011 23:18:15 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14215 on: 05/08/2011 23:22:53 »
« Last Edit: 05/08/2011 23:30:48 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14216 on: 05/08/2011 23:32:54 »

I'm a journalist interested in doing a story on
POIS for a major men's magazine. For it, I'm looking for a few men who would be willing to go on the record and talk about their experience with the disease. (You can remain anonymous, if you'd like.) If you're interested in being interviewed or have questions about the story, please email me at laura.leu@gmail.com

Thank you, Laura, and welcome to The POIS Forums!

Offline ophicus1213

• View Profile
« Reply #14217 on: 06/08/2011 11:53:57 »
I have been taking Niacin for over a year now and have been benefiting greatly from it.  I have extended into the higher doses above three grams per day.  If anyone is interested I would suggest looking into a disorder called B3 dependency.  I will be attaching some quality articles I have found about the potential for Niacin to be used in clinical settings to treat anxiety. 

newbielink:http://www.orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2004/pdf/2004-v19n02-p104.pdf [nonactive]

newbielink:http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2005/pdf/2005-v20n03-p167.pdf [nonactive]

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14218 on: 06/08/2011 16:33:29 »

ophicus1213, thank you very much for your encouraging reporting!

demo

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14219 on: 06/08/2011 19:42:38 »
I have been taking Niacin for over a year now and have been benefiting greatly from it.  I have extended into the higher doses above three grams per day.  If anyone is interested I would suggest looking into a disorder called B3 dependency.  I will be attaching some quality articles I have found about the potential for Niacin to be used in clinical settings to treat anxiety. 

http://www.orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2004/pdf/2004-v19n02-p104.pdf

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2005/pdf/2005-v20n03-p167.pdf

Thank you ophicus1213, the papers are very interesting.

Btw, I noticed that jumping to high doses of Niacin Acid from the start is not good and it can cause negative response from liver and heart. But if you continue smoothly increasing dose, the body somehow adapts to it and there is no any discomfort even from the doses that caused terrible effects at the start.

Victor

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14220 on: 06/08/2011 23:50:31 »
Just posted at Men's Health UK
(posted by MHUK forum member "poisissue")

Subject: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome

I have been suffering from this condition for a few years now.

The conditions symptons first start after an orgasm from having sex or masturbation. The symptons that last for 1-2 days (in my case) will usually include, lack of concentration/focus (Brain Fog),lethargy, headache, mylagia (muscle pain/weakness), anxiety, irratability, low ebb, etc.
Just thought i'd put it out on here to see if there are any other unfortunate sufferers on here and to make aware that i recently typed this problem into a search engine online, found a forum for it, and was surprised how many other victims there were of this rubbish condition. Because there has so far not been a great deal of awareness or publicity aimed at this condition, only very limited research has been made into it, which in turn has not led to validated treatment medication.
Guys on the forum i found, were trying out different types of medicines, practices pre and post orgasm to try and find a cure. Basically experimenting stuff for themselves, then posting their results. It would be good if anyone on here could give any results of their own experiences etc, or guys out there who thought they were the only ones with this condition can be made aware that they are far from alone.

I hope this can lead to better things and appreciate all comments (Good of course, not crass) put forward.

And just to inform all that the symptons i have are post having sex with my FEMALE partner, and that i am besides this condition, a generally fit healthy guy, with a normal stable mind, as are most of the other peeps on the forum i have been on.......

« Last Edit: 07/08/2011 00:36:29 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14221 on: 07/08/2011 00:07:33 »

Btw, I noticed that jumping to high doses of Niacin Acid from the start is not good and it can cause negative response from liver and heart. But if you continue smoothly increasing dose, the body somehow adapts to it and there is no any discomfort even from the doses that caused terrible effects at the start.

Victor

If it can work at 150-300 mg just before orgasm, why would you take it daily to raise the threshold and dose to such high values?

Taking it less often (as little as possible) avoids raising the dose to such levels.

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14222 on: 07/08/2011 05:34:27 »
Hi All,

I continue experiments with Niacin Acid tablets. Seems the effect is stable for me, e.g. no POIS symptoms if tablets are taken 1 hour before "O" in dosage of 150 mg. I've tried this trick 3 times so far, and every time - no POIS.

Warning! Taking Niacin in high doses might cause damage to your liver, please consult with your doctor first

Victor

Hi Victor, Thanks for the continuing reports. I am the same, If I continue to take Niacin my symptoms are much less that I would if I did not take the Niacin prior to O. I am still taking 300mg at the moment.

Just a note: One time, after I had just had a meal, I took 300mg. I could not tell if or when I had a flush and lost track of time. I think I only waited 30 minutes or so before I. That time, my POIS symptoms returned to their usual state which lasted a few days. I have learnt now to wait about 60 minutes like you so before O.

It does seem this has everything to do with timing, and that timing also depends on if you have a full stomach or not.

JT

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14223 on: 07/08/2011 14:53:58 »
I have read as well that taking Niacin just after a meal, reduces the flush. So you had both going against you. Victor had noted that it seems to work best, with a flush, and the flush should at least begin to subside before the "O".

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14224 on: 07/08/2011 15:11:09 »

Victor

If it can work at 150-300 mg just before orgasm, why would you take it daily to raise the threshold and dose to such high values?

Taking it less often (as little as possible) avoids raising the dose to such levels.

Yes, Dave, I'm taking it as less often as possible, by high doses I meant 150 mg. As you remember the first dose I took was 100mg and I felt terrible, my liver and heart started to go crazy. But now with 150mg dose I feel just fine. So, I just recommend to take your time and let your body adapt to Niacin a bit, before making decision that Niacin is not a good fit for you.

Victor

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14224 on: 07/08/2011 15:11:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length