The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6430740 times)

Offline makrofag

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14325 on: 15/08/2011 18:08:21 »
If Niacin helps all the POIS-ers. Does it mean that all POIS-ers share the same core problem? I guess that would be great ;)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14326 on: 15/08/2011 20:46:42 »
makrofag, that WOULD be great!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14327 on: 15/08/2011 21:11:10 »

... "if you touch it too much your teeth will fall out" stigma...

I was told that I'd go blind if I touched it,  so I stopped when I needed glasses! ;D

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14328 on: 15/08/2011 21:24:32 »

... "if you touch it too much your teeth will fall out" stigma...

I was told that I'd go blind if I touched it,  so I stopped when I needed glasses! ;D

Well I've still got all of my teeth and have changed my glasses about 4 times, so I guess you're right!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14329 on: 15/08/2011 21:37:30 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14330 on: 15/08/2011 22:30:49 »

And considering how close we are [to POIS medical research funding], even smaller donations really do make a difference.  We just need a lot more of them :D 

Hmmmm. Now I hear EVERYONE asking, WHERE do I donate? :)
http://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations/fg_base_view_p3

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14331 on: 16/08/2011 04:20:10 »
POIS in Women!?!
A thread right here at Naked Science Forum
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=29253.msg365092;boardseen#new

Offline Animus

• View Profile
« Reply #14332 on: 16/08/2011 17:05:44 »

I want to spend my money on something positive - not getting rid of something negative.  But sometimes fixing the foundation of your house is more important than painting it.  It's time to repair the foundation! 

amen!  ;D very well said and eloquent! I intend to donate again to the fund in the future. b_daniel is an inspiration with his level of commitment!

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #14333 on: 16/08/2011 20:28:14 »
I must say it really does boost my confidence knowing there are people sharing ways how to help get better, I mean i dont know if TRT would be best for me, Im on 16 years of age right now and my testosterone levels are good when I cut my sex life for a while. But I mean Im a wrestler and I had a tournament a few months back and I had to wrestle feeling absolutely terrible due to Pois. I took second place, Do i think that if I continued to cut my sex life off i could have taken first in it, Yes i do, I was unable to compete at 100 percent, I was about 50 - 60 percent that day. I wrestled for 7 minutes straight in my toughest match of my career that i won by 1 point in double overtime to make it to the finals, It was all just a blur and I kept going on straight instinct. My strength wasn't there, My cardio wasn't there, I depended on all technique.

I looked up ways get my body back to normal before it and they said its my Libido levels. POIS was not brought up once. Nobody even thought about it when i asked numerous questions on it. Maybe if Pois didnt affect us we would be able to feel better even if we cut off our sex lives considering Semen is still in our body at all times. And maybe it shows its worst side effects when it ejaculates.

Im not really sure im just trying to throw some of my ideas out there. I really hope I can find something.

I saw a video on something saying there is a way of fixing it but you have to be injected with your own semen for 3 years. That wouldnt necessarily be my favored choice on what to do.

I kind of just learned to live with POIS and learned to deal it. I just know any time i want to engage in sexual activity i pay the price for the next 3 days. I just think it is what it is. I would love to know what its like to live without it but right now I just dont understand how someone can ejaculate and still have the same strenght, cardio, and motivation.

Brett

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14334 on: 16/08/2011 20:55:34 »
Good evening,

Are there any members that had a blood test for Serotonin and vitamin B3 (niacin) levels?

I'm interested in knowing if the results were OK., or they were low.

Thanks a lot!

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14335 on: 16/08/2011 21:26:35 »
I'm thinking about the possibility of combine Niacin + Tryptophan, or Niacin + 5-htp; as a way to increase peripheral serotonin levels.

Remember that low Niacin levels prevent Tryptophan from converting to Serotonin, in blood levels.

This is why i'd like to know blood levels of Niacin (B3) and Serotonin of POIS members.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14336 on: 16/08/2011 22:43:45 »
Quasar How do you know that you have chronic epstein barr?

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14337 on: 16/08/2011 23:40:18 »
Quasar How do you know that you have chronic epstein barr?

A doctor told me some time ago. It was a blood test. I don't remember exactly, but i think a had a positive VCA IgG, which means i had a past infection. In fact, 90% of people has antibodies for Epstein Barr. It's not easy to know if someone has or hasn't chronic fatigue syndrome.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14338 on: 16/08/2011 23:59:24 »

Last time I discussed SEROTONIN tests with my endocrinologist, he said, "great idea, but they're generally unreliable."

My impression is that there are cutting edge scientific tests that ARE reliable, but prohibitively expensive.

My information is a couple years old, so if anyone has more current information on serotonin testing reliability, please come forward and update my thinking!  :)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14339 on: 17/08/2011 01:13:01 »

Last time I discussed SEROTONIN tests with my endocrinologist, he said, "great idea, but they're generally unreliable."

My impression is that there are cutting edge scientific tests that ARE reliable, but prohibitively expensive.

My information is a couple years old, so if anyone has more current information on serotonin testing reliability, please come forward and update my thinking!  :)

Demo,

Take a look at this: "We have explored the possibility of using measures of 5-HT (extracellular 5-HT and 5-HIAA in blood) as peripheral indexes of MAO activity. Depressed patients treated with phenelzine for 6 weeks display a dramatic increase of plasma 5-HT (270% of basal values) together with a decrease of plasma 5-HIAA. After treatment with irreversible MAO inhibitors, rat plasma 5-HIAA decreased in a similar fashion than MAO-A activity in liver, lungs and brain, measured using 5-HT as substrate. These results support the use of plasma 5-HT and 5-HIAA in humans to evaluate the action of MAOI on the serotonergic system."

I think we should ask for:

5-HT and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) in the plasma (blood).

(and of course, also Vitamin B3 levels).

I think it's not expensive.

I also think your doctor means that 5-HT levels in plasma are not adequate to determine brain 5-HT levels. But we don't need that, because, i think it's more interesting to us to know 5-HT levels in blood (peripheral serotonin), because then we will know why Niacin is working, and if we are low in peripheral serotinin, that would also explain migraines too.

Also, take a look at this:

"Medications that may elevate serotonin concentrations include lithium, MAO-inhibitors, methyldopa, morphine, and reserpine. The observed levels are usually <400 ng/mL. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine) can lead to depletion of platelet serotonin levels and result in false-negative serum/blood 5-HT tests".

So, it seems some drugs raise central serotonin, and peripheral serotonin too, as MAOIs.

And, what's more, it seems SSRIs decrease peripheral serotonin. I long suspected that SSRIs cause a decrease in peripheral serotonin, which is not good for migraines, and maybe it's not good for POIS.

I never liked SSRIs.
« Last Edit: 17/08/2011 01:26:41 by Quasar »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14340 on: 17/08/2011 02:36:04 »
Thanks, Quasar, wow, that was fascinating reporting!!

I have had a love-hate relationships with ssri's. In 1989 I tried Prozac and it SEEMED like an astonishing miracle took place, i.e., I was lifted out of a periodic "snakepit" of depression. I still became depressed but never again like pre-1989!

But SINCE then, I've been mostly on them (tried em all) and can't tell you what the heck they do! If anything!

But when I stop, I "seem" to get worse. However, I am not convinced that my "ssri withdrawals" are not simply a placebo effect!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14341 on: 17/08/2011 04:58:13 »

I want to spend my money on something positive - not getting rid of something negative.  But sometimes fixing the foundation of your house is more important than painting it.  It's time to repair the foundation! 

amen!  ;D very well said and eloquent! I intend to donate again to the fund in the future. b_daniel is an inspiration with his level of commitment!

Amen to the Amen!! ;D

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14342 on: 17/08/2011 09:30:30 »
Quasar, do you have some problems with your lymph nodes? I think, even when I am out of POIS i have some feeling that with my lymph nodes something wrong is. They are some times small, then getting bigger, then smaller. I cant find a answer why is it happening so.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14343 on: 17/08/2011 12:44:18 »
My question is: could POIS lead by some sufferers to viral reactivation of a dormant virus, like EBV?

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14344 on: 17/08/2011 13:04:23 »
My question is: could POIS lead by some sufferers to viral reactivation of a dormant virus, like EBV?
Could be..it's hard to tell. Some people who have EBV and Chronic Fatigue take antivirals for months and years. I suppose there are tests to check the quantity of antibodies pre-pois and post-pois. You can also talk to your doctor and start taking antivirals to see if they improve Pois.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14345 on: 17/08/2011 13:29:49 »
Have you tried some antivirals?

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14346 on: 17/08/2011 15:37:22 »

Nope, never...I have a big list of meds to try, LOL.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14347 on: 17/08/2011 16:30:14 »
Question from other forum applicable to Uk Doctors;

Do they think about others therapies to cure? (intra lymphatic, sublingual, and so on...)

Sublingual seems to be more standard as an allergy treatment in the EU than in the U.S., is the dilution normally the same to start out with as subcutaneous?  Recommended frequency for sublingual?

why dosent the most powerfull of all immune suppresant(cortisteroids) help pois?

Why is it that some of us get rush of energy when recovering?

Why do i get pois with just sex dreams?

Could Pois destroy brain cells since the immune system is attacking the body?
« Last Edit: 17/08/2011 16:42:17 by CCconfucius »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14348 on: 17/08/2011 16:44:52 »

Nope, never...I have a big list of meds to try, LOL.

you might want to check out dapoxetine, mat780 said it helped him alot.  it is a short term ssri. may be it also increases peripheral serotonin

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14349 on: 17/08/2011 17:04:38 »
We should eat more chocolate to increase peripheral serotonin /tryptophan !  ;D

Guthrie, when would be the study done? and more info?

What kind of tests  would they try to do?
« Last Edit: 17/08/2011 17:20:18 by Habibou »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14349 on: 17/08/2011 17:04:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums