The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6455375 times)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14350 on: 17/08/2011 17:30:12 »
We should eat more chocolate to increase peripheral serotonin /tryptophan !  ;D

Guthrie, when would be the study done? and more info?

What kind of tests  would they try to do?

LOL, guess what? Some time ago, while i was in a typical POIS day (low energy, etc.), i ate a dark chocolate cake and drank a natural orange juice at the same time (vitamin C), and 15 mins. later i felt soooo good! It may have been the tryptophan. I felt better than in 10 years! It was impressive. But it only lasted 30 mins. aprox.
« Last Edit: 17/08/2011 18:05:05 by Quasar »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14351 on: 17/08/2011 17:46:18 »
Have you tried some antivirals?

Nope, never...I have a big list of meds to try, LOL.

you might want to check out dapoxetine, mat780 said it helped him alot.  it is a short term ssri. may be it also increases peripheral serotonin

I haven't had a very good experience with SSRIs. I was under Cymbalta for 6 months, and, while it helped my mood, it stopped working when i left it. I think i had more POIS symptoms post-Cymbalta than pre-Cymbalta. I think SSRIs deplete peripheral serotonin levels, and they are not usually considered the best preventive migraine medication.

My list to try at this time is (in order of priority):

Niacin (the easiest to try), 5htp/tryptophan + Niacin, Nebivolol, Serotonin Antagonists, MAOIs, oh, and testosterone, of course.

« Last Edit: 17/08/2011 18:46:49 by Quasar »

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14352 on: 18/08/2011 00:12:12 »
Very interesting article on allergies and irritants:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903480904576510302458640840.html [nofollow]

"Because the IgE reaction isn't involved in vasomotor rhinitis, antihistamines and other over-the-counter allergy medications aren't very effective, nor are allergy shots. But nasal steroid sprays such as Flonase and Nasonex can reduce the inflammation and make nasal passages less sensitive. "Half the people who come to me who think they have allergies don't, and they're frustrated because their over-the-counter allergy medications don't work," says Michael Blaiss, an allergist at the University of Tennessee in Memphis and past president of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology."

Just throwing this out there, but what if some POIS cases are caused by a semen allergy and others by a semen irritation?  That would explain why anti-histamines help some people and not others. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14353 on: 18/08/2011 00:53:53 »

Interesting, Willem!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14354 on: 18/08/2011 01:27:42 »
My question is: could POIS lead by some sufferers to viral reactivation of a dormant virus, like EBV?

I've got a cold sore that activates maybe once a year, normally in winter. I guess that it doesn't activate too often, means it might not be a good indicator, but POIS doesn't seem to have any effect over it.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14355 on: 18/08/2011 01:43:01 »
Quasar, do you have some problems with your lymph nodes? I think, even when I am out of POIS i have some feeling that with my lymph nodes something wrong is. They are some times small, then getting bigger, then smaller. I cant find a answer why is it happening so.

I wonder. I've noticed too that the lymph nodes sometimes flare up with POIS, like maybe 25% of the time. And your post made me think about it, it seems that they only flare up if the prostate seems to be more inflamed. My protate also seems to inflame sometimes, and it's about the same 25% of the time, and I'd have to say almost coincident.

I have to say that it just might be that those 25% flare-ups are all associated with heavier sessions. It always seems that when the prostate and everything down there is more inflamed, the POIS sessions are, in general, worse.

Lately my sessions have been a fair bit lighter, and almost NO swelling "down there", nor lymph nodes.

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: 18/08/2011 05:03:16 »
I was a little reluctant to post with incomplete results, but I have tried niacin (250mg) before O twice now, and it does a lot to alleviate my symptoms. For now, the 250mg seems to be enough to give me the flush. I would say that compared to nothing, it reduces my symptoms (mostly cognitive brain fog) by about 60-70%.

So far I have only tried it on its own - normally, I would take a dose of fenugreek before and after O. It will be interesting to try niacin in combination with fenugreek, and I will do this at some point, but I thought it would be more "scientific" to let niacin do its work without any assistance.

So, mark up another success for niacin! I hope it proves effective in the long-term as well as the short-term.

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14357 on: 18/08/2011 08:09:46 »
I was a little reluctant to post with incomplete results, but I have tried niacin (250mg) before O twice now, and it does a lot to alleviate my symptoms. For now, the 250mg seems to be enough to give me the flush. I would say that compared to nothing, it reduces my symptoms (mostly cognitive brain fog) by about 60-70%.

So far I have only tried it on its own - normally, I would take a dose of fenugreek before and after O. It will be interesting to try niacin in combination with fenugreek, and I will do this at some point, but I thought it would be more "scientific" to let niacin do its work without any assistance.

So, mark up another success for niacin! I hope it proves effective in the long-term as well as the short-term.
Congratulations, hurray!

I hope you will find the long-term solution for yourself to 100% reduce your POIS symptoms.

Victor

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14358 on: 18/08/2011 16:27:47 »

Victor, thank you for your encouragement here at POIS thread!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14359 on: 18/08/2011 16:35:48 »

Hurray and Victor, I sent your post to Pyropeach just in case he missed it.

The next POIS Forum Compendium will include Niacin.

Exciting news!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: 18/08/2011 16:41:17 »

My question is: could POIS lead by some sufferers to viral reactivation of a dormant virus, like EBV?

I've got a cold sore that activates maybe once a year, normally in winter. I guess that it doesn't activate too often, means it might not be a good indicator, but POIS doesn't seem to have any effect over it.

My life was plagued with periodic aphtheous ulcers in the mouth, usually connected to stress or heat. But not since my POIS  testosterone treatment!

However, I do need to be careful in drawing cause and effect conclusions.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: 18/08/2011 17:06:26 »

I must say it really does boost my confidence knowing there are people sharing ways how to help get better, I mean i dont know if TRT would be best for me, Im on 16 years of age right now and my testosterone levels are good when I cut my sex life for a while. But I mean Im a wrestler and I had a tournament a few months back and I had to wrestle feeling absolutely terrible due to Pois. I took second place, Do i think that if I continued to cut my sex life off i could have taken first in it, Yes i do, I was unable to compete at 100 percent, I was about 50 - 60 percent that day. I wrestled for 7 minutes straight in my toughest match of my career that i won by 1 point in double overtime to make it to the finals, It was all just a blur and I kept going on straight instinct. My strength wasn't there, My cardio wasn't there, I depended on all technique.

I looked up ways get my body back to normal before it and they said its my Libido levels. POIS was not brought up once. Nobody even thought about it when i asked numerous questions on it. Maybe if Pois didnt affect us we would be able to feel better even if we cut off our sex lives considering Semen is still in our body at all times. And maybe it shows its worst side effects when it ejaculates.

Im not really sure im just trying to throw some of my ideas out there. I really hope I can find something.

I saw a video on something saying there is a way of fixing it but you have to be injected with your own semen for 3 years. That wouldnt necessarily be my favored choice on what to do.

I kind of just learned to live with POIS and learned to deal it. I just know any time i want to engage in sexual activity i pay the price for the next 3 days. I just think it is what it is. I would love to know what its like to live without it but right now I just dont understand how someone can ejaculate and still have the same strenght, cardio, and motivation.

Brett

Hi, Brett!

I have conquered POIS 80%+ with TRT after 35 years' misery. But as you can see, I'm much older than you.

I SUSPECT that TRT can help any POIS sufferer, regardless of their testosterone reading.

However, TRT has RISKS.

(1) if you go off TRT your body MIGHT not be able to re-start T production on its own. 

(2) My sperm count went to ZERO.

I DON'T  know loss of sperm is a result of TRT, but I'm not ruling it out.

I also do not plan on having any more children.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14362 on: 18/08/2011 17:27:06 »
There's something i forgot to share with you. I don't know if it's relevant or not: i remember i got very low results for FSH hormone: it was like 1.xx, and the normal values were: 1 to 12.

So, it was considered "normal" by my doctor.

But here http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/118810-overview  it states that "FSH stimulates testicular growth and enhances the production of an androgen-binding protein by the Sertoli cells, which are a component of the testicular tubule necessary for sustaining the maturing sperm cell. This androgen-binding protein causes high local concentrations of testosterone near the sperm, an essential factor in the development of normal spermatogenesis"

Is there anybody with low FSH values too?
« Last Edit: 19/08/2011 16:50:29 by Quasar »

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: 18/08/2011 18:16:08 »
Quasar, do you have some problems with your lymph nodes? I think, even when I am out of POIS i have some feeling that with my lymph nodes something wrong is. They are some times small, then getting bigger, then smaller. I cant find a answer why is it happening so.

I wonder. I've noticed too that the lymph nodes sometimes flare up with POIS, like maybe 25% of the time. And your post made me think about it, it seems that they only flare up if the prostate seems to be more inflamed. My protate also seems to inflame sometimes, and it's about the same 25% of the time, and I'd have to say almost coincident.

I have to say that it just might be that those 25% flare-ups are all associated with heavier sessions. It always seems that when the prostate and everything down there is more inflamed, the POIS sessions are, in general, worse.

Lately my sessions have been a fair bit lighter, and almost NO swelling "down there", nor lymph nodes.

Do you mean some kind of generelized swollen/tender lymphnodes or just in one part of the body?

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14364 on: 18/08/2011 18:47:33 »
Starsky, i don't pay much attention to my lymph nodes...i can't see them specially enlarged after Pois, with exception, maybe, to the neck ones.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14365 on: 19/08/2011 12:40:24 »
Do you often feel tired out of POIS? I have a problem standing up of my bed in the morning, im constantly tired :/

Offline jivetalk

• View Profile
« Reply #14366 on: 19/08/2011 13:45:55 »

Congratulations Hurray!

Thanks for letting us all know about your positive results. Please do keep us posted.

JT.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: 19/08/2011 13:54:31 »
While in POIS when I shave my face it bleeds quite a bit even if I shave carefully with plenty of shaving cream and a new razor, but if I go 3 or 4 days without having an orgasm I can shave without any shaving cream even and my face doesn't bleed at all.

What mechanism could possibly cause my skin to become physically weaker and easier to cut? Could an immune reaction cause this? Perhaps the immune reaction causes certain glands to become inflamed which then may cause a domino effect of hormonal imbalances and digestive inefficiency which then leads to impaired skin cell growth and repair.

Just more speculation I suppose.

In any case my niacin pills should arrive soon and I'll test them asap.
« Last Edit: 19/08/2011 14:00:23 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14368 on: 19/08/2011 16:48:32 »
Do you often feel tired out of POIS? I have a problem standing up of my bed in the morning, im constantly tired :/

It's exponential. At day 5 out of Pois i feel quite good. At day 7 i feel very good. If i stay a whole week out of Pois, then i have no energy problems, and don't become tired. I even can feel very energetic at moments.

About the standing problem, i suppose you refer to orthostatic intolerance. Yeah! I also  suffer from that, specially under Pois.

But when i'm out of Pois, my orthostatic intolerance becomes nearly cured at 100%.

Orthostatic intolerance is also related to neurotransmitters and blood vessels, just like many theories we have already discussed.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14369 on: 19/08/2011 20:25:23 »

We should eat more chocolate to increase peripheral serotonin /tryptophan !  ;D

If that were true, then by now, I should be The International King Of Peripheral Serotonin/Tryptophan!!!   ;D

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14370 on: 19/08/2011 20:35:19 »

Do you mean some kind of generelized swollen/tender lymphnodes or just in one part of the body?

When it happens, it's semi-isolated. I've had the groin area and underarms on the same side. My bones hurt too when it happens, sort of like the "softer" outer layer of the bones are inflamed. Similar symptoms as produced by prostate, but only POIS related and only about 25% of the POIS sessions. Prostate has checked out OK (out of POIS).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14371 on: 19/08/2011 20:52:18 »
Thankfully, my PSA readings are always fine.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14372 on: 20/08/2011 00:49:25 »

I want to spend my money on something positive - not getting rid of something negative.  But sometimes fixing the foundation of your house is more important than painting it.  It's time to repair the foundation! 

amen!  ;D very well said and eloquent! I intend to donate again to the fund in the future. b_daniel is an inspiration with his level of commitment!

Amen to the Amen!! ;D

I'm no inspiration!  I'm just the guy who likes to throw a whole bunch of money at my problems.  And this is one problem I'd give just about anything to make go away.
« Last Edit: 20/08/2011 01:55:28 by B_Daniel »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14373 on: 20/08/2011 01:57:01 »
I took Niacin 5 hrs ago and just had an O.  Not a good idea.  It lasts over 2 hrs, but not as much as 5.

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #14374 on: 20/08/2011 05:46:02 »
Thank you for your encouragement, Victor and Jivetalk  :)

I will definitely keep you posted with my results!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14374 on: 20/08/2011 05:46:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length