The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6440722 times)

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14425 on: 28/08/2011 00:31:00 »
Here is a new and interesting drug to look at, "Vinpocetine", it is a prescription drug in Europe marketed for cerebral vascular disease, but recently approved as a over the counter supplement marketed for cognitive enhancement in the United states and Canada.  It says it is a cerebral vascular dilator, increasing blood flow to the brain.  After our recent mixed success with xanthinol nicotinate and niacin, I started to look into drugs that might increase blood flow to the brain.  Unrelated to my search, I found a web page that referenced both vinpocetine and XN.

http://www.vinpocetine.com/how-can-vinpocetine-help-us.html

"In 1976 Vamosi and colleagues reported their favorable results comparing Vinpocetine with Xanthinol Nicotinate in treating 143 patients with various cerebrovascular diseases. They measured a large number of blood and cerebrospinal fluid variables before and after treatment, such as glucose, lactate, pyruvate, oxygen, pH, electrolyte levels, etc. They concluded from their study "…Though not all the changes are significant statistically, yet connected with each other they prove that Vinpocetine enhances both glycolytic and oxidative reactions of glucose breakdown in eNS [brain]. The changes in the concentration of K [potassium] and Mg [magnesium]. .. may be considered a sign of recovery of the energy metabolism of the nerve cells.…"1
Vamosi's study also demonstrated a superior clinical efficacy of Vinpocetine over Xanthinol Nicotinate."

This may lead to other drugs that may help us such as Vinpocetine or may just give us a better understanding of how Niacin containing compounds may be helping us, such as increasing cerebral blood flow.
« Last Edit: 28/08/2011 00:33:27 by lauracostis »

Offline danny123

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14426 on: 28/08/2011 11:23:00 »
I think I have POIS psychological effects but none of the physical effects of POIS. I also have a very adverse reaction to alcohol or drugs where I am psychologically damaged for months afterwards from only a few beers or even being in a room that has marijuwana smoke. after a long period of soberiety I have healed from previous alcohol/drug intake. It seems like I have a hyper sensitivity to anything that is mind altering including an orgasm. It can take me about 6 weeks after orgasm to be mentally sharp, relaxed, not anxious but confident but the side effect of abstaining from an orgasm is over confidence. I feel like I'm alternating between two worlds never knowing who I am. The person with POIS symptoms who takes life seriously and works really hard to get by or the recovered but over confident person. Does anyone else have a hyper sesitivity to alchol, fumes, or drug smoke and have POIS? I wish I knew why I am so super sensitive to anythig mind altering including an orgasim.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: 28/08/2011 13:10:33 »
Here is a new and interesting drug to look at, "Vinpocetine", it is a prescription drug in Europe marketed for cerebral vascular disease, but recently approved as a over the counter supplement marketed for cognitive enhancement in the United states and Canada.  It says it is a cerebral vascular dilator, increasing blood flow to the brain.  After our recent mixed success with xanthinol nicotinate and niacin, I started to look into drugs that might increase blood flow to the brain.  Unrelated to my search, I found a web page that referenced both vinpocetine and XN.

"In 1976 Vamosi and colleagues reported their favorable results comparing Vinpocetine with Xanthinol Nicotinate in treating 143 patients with various cerebrovascular diseases. They measured a large number of blood and cerebrospinal fluid variables before and after treatment, such as glucose, lactate, pyruvate, oxygen, pH, electrolyte levels, etc. They concluded from their study "…Though not all the changes are significant statistically, yet connected with each other they prove that Vinpocetine enhances both glycolytic and oxidative reactions of glucose breakdown in eNS [brain]. The changes in the concentration of K [potassium] and Mg [magnesium]. .. may be considered a sign of recovery of the energy metabolism of the nerve cells.…"1
Vamosi's study also demonstrated a superior clinical efficacy of Vinpocetine over Xanthinol Nicotinate."

This may lead to other drugs that may help us such as Vinpocetine or may just give us a better understanding of how Niacin containing compounds may be helping us, such as increasing cerebral blood flow.

This could be a good test to make to determine if it as a result of vasodilation in the brain or
some other effect like the building of missing components in important brain components like serotonine and dopamine et al. see: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=197.0

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14428 on: 28/08/2011 13:18:10 »
I think I have POIS psychological effects but none of the physical effects of POIS. I also have a very adverse reaction to alcohol or drugs where I am psychologically damaged for months afterwards from only a few beers or even being in a room that has marijuwana smoke. after a long period of soberiety I have healed from previous alcohol/drug intake. It seems like I have a hyper sensitivity to anything that is mind altering including an orgasm. It can take me about 6 weeks after orgasm to be mentally sharp, relaxed, not anxious but confident but the side effect of abstaining from an orgasm is over confidence. I feel like I'm alternating between two worlds never knowing who I am. The person with POIS symptoms who takes life seriously and works really hard to get by or the recovered but over confident person. Does anyone else have a hyper sesitivity to alchol, fumes, or drug smoke and have POIS? I wish I knew why I am so super sensitive to anythig mind altering including an orgasim.

Hey Danny123,

Over at reuniting.info they have a whole forum dedicated to addiction / withdrawl which even includes sex. You can probably get a lot of help over there.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14429 on: 28/08/2011 13:33:55 »
Has anybody here tried to masturbate several times in a row (i.e. 4 - 10 times in a few hours) and watched its effects or better - tried to masturbate as many times as possible per day and keep continuing in the following days?

Are you kidding, if I have one "O" on each of two days in a row, I'm practically ready for the hospital.

If there's anyone here that can have several "O"s per day, I don't think it's POIS that they have.

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14430 on: 28/08/2011 14:39:28 »
Hi Guys,

Just want to have your thought about something that I think is missing.
I believe that many of us started to take POIS more seriously since each of us understood he is not the only one on earth with such a disorder.

That means that each one of us has lot of medical information [Comprehensive Blood tests, sperm tests, allergy tests and etc.]

I'd say, what is missing is an integration of all that data - if we could do a data analysis of all that data -we might find some commonalities, I be live the answer is might be there;
what we do have now is individuals that kindly shares their medical tests data along the hundreds of pages of this forum. If we only could have a share point or shared excel document/ web document including all tests of each 1 of us - that could be a big step forward.

I would go further and say we could build a profile of each 1 of us. But let's start with integrating the medical data of each of us. That's lot of work that demands how to organize the file, adding into it all test in details, I won't get technically now how it should be looked, first let's have your feedbacks,

Wish you all health !

GREAT THAT SOMEONE THINKS THE SAME AS ME ! I already created a topic on the other forum, please post there to have more info : http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=98.0
« Last Edit: 28/08/2011 14:43:02 by Habibou »

Offline JRD

• View Profile
« Reply #14431 on: 28/08/2011 14:52:53 »

Are you kidding, if I have one "O" on each of two days in a row, I'm practically ready for the hospital.

If there's anyone here that can have several "O"s per day, I don't think it's POIS that they have.

As far as I know, most people have no physical abnormalities capable of explaining such a variety of symptoms and no diagnostic criteria has been constitued to prove this mystical illness. The only certain thing disproving the suspicion is not to have post-orgasmic complications and probably nobody like this has joined the discussion yet.

And I am curious what reaching several orgasms in a row (even if the first one or two brings up problems) looks like in your case or in case of somebody who has experimented this way.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14432 on: 28/08/2011 14:54:33 »
[/quote
Has anybody here tried to masturbate several times in a row (i.e. 4 - 10 times in a few hours) and watched its effects or better - tried to masturbate as many times as possible per day and keep continuing in the following days?

Which hospital? Psychiatric? POIS is not a life threatening condition...

Last week I tried to force as many ejacalutions as i could get on a day... 2days, 7 ejaculations... i would be normally sick after 2 but thanks to XN i was able to get to the point where i got dry ejaculations. I wasnt sick, i was just tired and really unmotivated. Was it POIS or was it a normal reaction to so many ejaculations?
« Last Edit: 28/08/2011 15:06:05 by Starsky »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14433 on: 28/08/2011 15:35:14 »

Anyone want to try it and report back to the group?  It's relatively cheap ($13.99):
http://www.antiaging-systems.com/159-vinpocetine-intelectol

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: 28/08/2011 16:14:36 »

I don't think there's enough data gathered to prove whether anyone has died from it yet. Before I found fenugreek I could barely leave my bed and I could forget about getting a job ever. I'm fairly certain that people have lost jobs and gone homeless from POIS...death could easily follow that.

Besides as we've seen there is a spectrum of the severity which POIS symptoms manifest themselves in different people. Who can say with all certainty that some of the earlier members who no longer post on our forums have not died from POIS?

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: 28/08/2011 16:31:06 »

Lauracostis, really thanks for that. It goes in the same direction i've been thinking about (migraine/blood circulation/serotonin theory...)

Some replies ago i posted that the Niacin flush was caused by a release in peripheral serotonin, which causes a vasodilation in the body. The raised levels of peripheral serotonin inhibit the release of brain serotonin, so it prevents the contraction of brain blood vessels (serotonin inside the brain causes contraction).

So, Vinpocetine seems to work in a similar way as Niacin, but in a more active way. Maybe it's a little more aggressive than Niacin, but also more effective. It should be very interesting to try it!!

BTW, at last i've bough Niacin pills!! THis afternoon i'll try them and comment on how they've worked for me!

Another one i'd like to try is Pycnogenol:

In addition, the particular proanthocyanidins found in the propriety extract for maritime pine bark called Pycnogenol have been shown to optimize the production of nitric oxide in the artery walls so as to relax them and allow greater blood flow and reduced pressure.[23] Additionally, this same preparation, Pycnogenol, has been found to normalize platelet adhesion (aggregation) so as to facilitate normal blood flow.[24]

« Last Edit: 28/08/2011 16:37:12 by Quasar »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14436 on: 28/08/2011 16:53:39 »

I disagree with you here, Daveman. I am able to have multiple orgasms a day, but I am always in a constant state of POIS because of this. My major recent accomplishment has been being able to stay awake during the day and sleep at night, but I've only accomplished that with fenugreek. I'm still quite a ways off from being able to work. I suffer from almost every symptom that POIS sufferers have mentioned except for, perhaps, headaches.

In addition I wear a chastity device which I had to design myself since I don't have money to buy a real one and when I get an erection what are basically metal spikes drive into my penis causing enough pain to force me to stop the erection. I wear this device everyday now just so I can stay on a normal sleep schedule in hope that I'll one day be able work up enough energy and confidence to apply for some jobs.

Just because my sex drive is higher or the time between orgasm and when I'm able to ejaculate again is shorter than normal doesn't mean that my POIS symptoms are any less debilitating than yours.

I like you, Daveman, and I agree with many of your points. But I know you are wrong when you say that I don't have POIS, because I know I do. POIS is defined by debilitating symptoms that last for multiple days after orgasm. It takes me about a week after an orgasm before I feel able to get out of my bed and even have a normal conversation with one of my close friends or do any kind of physical labor. Until that point all I wanna do is lay in my bed and try to figure out a way to make the horrible pain go away.

I believe that this forum might prevent me from becoming homeless one day since my mom's not gonna be able to support me forever. So don't count me out. I understand you think I probably have sexual exhaustion and not POIS, but how can you say that when there is no precise definition of either that differentiates POIS from SE? If you believe that SE is a milder version of POIS then I have POIS. Not SE.
« Last Edit: 28/08/2011 16:57:40 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14437 on: 28/08/2011 17:05:35 »

Yes psychiatric! I did it once and thought I was going out of my mind. It was at night, perhaps a combination of panic atttack and a strong after POIS depression!

Not at all to laugh at. I hope that wasn't your intention!

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14438 on: 28/08/2011 17:13:17 »

Yep I think when I tried doing that I masturbated like 10 times in one day. My POIS symptoms just became so severe that I could barely walk because my knees and tendons felt so inflamed and all I could do was lie down and think about ways to kill myself. Even lying down didn't take away all the pain since my face was so inflamed or something it felt like my skin was barely attached to my face and my eyes felt like they were on fire if I tried to open them. Oh and my intestines were probly inflamed too because my belly ballooned to the point where it looked like I had a soccer ball stuffed in there even though normally I had a fairly visible abs. I remember I couldn't wear pants because my skin was so irritated.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: 28/08/2011 17:16:41 »

As far as I know, most people have no physical abnormalities capable of explaining such a variety of symptoms and no diagnostic criteria has been constitued to prove this mystical illness. The only certain thing disproving the suspicion is not to have post-orgasmic complications and probably nobody like this has joined the discussion yet.

And I am curious what reaching several orgasms in a row (even if the first one or two brings up problems) looks like in your case or in case of somebody who has experimented this way.

Are you saying JRD that POIS is a mystical illness? How many of you all agree with this!

We've spent too much time taking POIS out of some etheral space to have it put back into a fantasy category again.

Offline JRD

• View Profile
« Reply #14440 on: 28/08/2011 17:53:46 »
Well, no satisfactory explanation has been found, so it is quite obvious for me, it is mystical in the same sense such as schizophrenia or depression - scientists and doctors claim they know a lot, but in fact, they only offer many speculative approaches with little to no effective help to their patients.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14441 on: 28/08/2011 18:48:54 »

Yes psychiatric! I did it once and thought I was going out of my mind. It was at night, perhaps a combination of panic atttack and a strong after POIS depression!

Sorry. I was ironic... But I asked myself what kind of help we could get in a hospital? Intravenous fenugreek? :D

You were going out of mind because of POIS or because of things they gave you? I think if someone is lucky, will get just a hand full of benzodiazepines, if not.... they can make you really bad with neuroleptics.
« Last Edit: 28/08/2011 18:57:41 by Starsky »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14442 on: 28/08/2011 19:20:15 »
Well, no satisfactory explanation has been found, so it is quite obvious for me, it is mystical in the same sense such as schizophrenia or depression - scientists and doctors claim they know a lot, but in fact, they only offer many speculative approaches with little to no effective help to their patients.

Phrases like "little to no help" are purely opinion, and make unfounded implications of failure. As far as I know, there are even fewer solutions in addiction/withdrawl theory that help POIS, less so solutions documented by specialists.

There are several fronts that are finding success with desensitization. Perhaps not yet complete nor extensive, but it is not a "failure" situation, as much as it is a situation of needing time to complete more thourough testing.

Inasmuch as the papers have not conclusively defined a solution, they have opened a path that is being actively pursued by TOP experts. NOT just the one.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14443 on: 28/08/2011 19:32:28 »

Sorry. I was ironic... But I asked myself what kind of help we could get in a hospital? Intravenous fenugreek? :D

You were going out of mind because of POIS or because of things they gave you? I think if someone is lucky, will get just a hand full of benzodiazepines, if not.... they can make you really bad with neuroleptics.

I came just short of waking my wife to take me to the hospital, but knew there was nothing they could do other than give me one of those things you speak of.

I felt like I was on the verge of insanity for about 2 or 3 days.
« Last Edit: 28/08/2011 21:00:33 by daveman »

Offline JRD

• View Profile
« Reply #14444 on: 28/08/2011 19:51:34 »
Phrases like "little to no help" are purely opinion, and make unfounded implications of failure.

From the scientific point of view, there is the only solution involving psychopharmaceuticals or ECT, which, in fact, is nothing less than a further dumbing down your already dumbed brain, interpreted as a therapeutical effect.

And don't be misunderstood, I really like a "new direction" of XN and everything positive, its users are experiencing (I am going to order a package of it for myself).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14445 on: 28/08/2011 20:28:32 »

danny123, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the file for that TV documentary, "Desperate Measures", which can be downloaded and played. The segment starts at about 12:20..
http://www.fileserve.com/file/cUtJa9R/TITLE01.mp4

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14446 on: 28/08/2011 20:32:54 »

Phrases like "little to no help" are purely opinion, and make unfounded implications of failure. As far as I know, there are even fewer solutions in addiction/withdrawl theory that help POIS, less so solutions documented by specialists.

There are several fronts that are finding success with desensitization. Perhaps not yet complete nor extensive, but it is not a "failure" situation, as much as it is a situation of needing time to complete more thourough testing.

Inasmuch as the papers have not conclusively defined a solution, they have opened a path that is being actively pursued by TOP experts. NOT just the one.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree. It has been the theme of the forum since the beginning and why we chose Naked SCIENCE Forum as our preferred venue.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14447 on: 28/08/2011 20:40:39 »
Guys, i have taken the 100mg Niacin pill 1 hour and a half ago. I haven't noticed anything. I have no flush  >:(

I did take it in a semi-empty stomach. I haven't had sex or masturbate because i want to try it with the flush.

Maybe tomorrow i will take 200mg in an empty stomach.

Why it didn't make a flush for me?

A) I have extremely low B3 levels.
B) Too low serotonin level, even after taken Niacin.
C) My tryptophan--> serotonin connection is screwed.
D) I just had bad luck  >:(

Who knows, i hope tomorrow with 200mg i have better luck!

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14448 on: 28/08/2011 20:54:03 »
BTW, i've found that Vinpocetine is sold by Solaray, so it should be easy to find a shop to try it. EDIT: It only includes 5mg of Vinpocetine. I think there are other brands that include more quantity.
« Last Edit: 28/08/2011 20:57:16 by Quasar »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: 28/08/2011 20:54:43 »

Demo,

I cant remember, I know we have talked about FMRI's, but has anyone taken an FMRI while in pois or out.

I'm still waiting! I have great hopes for (f)MRI and POIS!

I think John21 has come the closest to it, perhaps waiting to see if he can? (I'll send this to John by PM as well).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14449 on: 28/08/2011 20:54:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums