The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6450849 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14550 on: 04/09/2011 05:30:19 »
I don't think that thoughts can trigger an allergy.

It has been found that in people with multi-personality disorder, they will test positive allergic to a substance in one personality, and negative to the same substance when in their other personality.

Many doctors/medicine in general are now moving away from the old Newtonian physics that drugs are the answer to chronic problems, and more towards the quantum physics way of thinking that, the mind and energy fields are the key to chronic illness, if watch you the whole of the living matrix you'll get the idea, which is why NLP & reiki etc are good for chronic illhealth.
The Living Matrix

Anyways, it has been known since 1899 that everybody are probably allergic to their semen.

1899-1900 Sperm recognized as immunogenic (will cause an autoimmune reaction if transplanted from the testis into a different area of the body) by Lansteiner (1899) and Metchinikoff, (1900)
Immune privilege in the testis
Sperm are immunogenic - that is they will cause an autoimmune reaction if transplanted from the testis into a different part of the body. This has been demonstrated in experiments using rats by Lansteiner (1899) and Metchinikoff (1900) , mice and guinea pigs . The likely reason for this is that sperm first mature at puberty, after immune tolerance is established, therefore the body recognizes them as foreign and mounts an immune reaction against them. Since sperm do not die in the testis, mechanisms for their protection must exist in this organ. The blood-testis barrier is likely to contribute to the survival of sperm. However, it is believed in the field of testicular immunology that the blood-testis barrier cannot account for all immune suppression in the testis, due to (1) its incompleteness at a region called the rete testis and (2) the presence of immunogenic molecules outside the blood-testis barrier, on the surface of spermatogonia . Another mechanism which is likely to protect sperm is the suppression of immune responses in the testis . Both the suppression of immune responses and the increased survival of grafts in the testis have led to its recognition as an immunologically privileged site. Other immunologically privileged sites include the eye, brain and uterus.

http://www.reference.com/browse/testicular+immunology

referring to your quote about the people already being allergic to semen:

Thanks that's what I needed to see.  when I think of sperm allergy I think of sneezing, runny nose, etc. not the mental affects.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14551 on: 04/09/2011 15:35:30 »
Even though Niacin / XN / vitamin B3 seems to be working well for most, it has it's side effects. The flush is uncomfortable for some, prolonged use could do damage to the liver, which should be monitored, and others, for combinations of other drugs they may be taking or certain other physical problems can't even take it.

But what is more important is what it points to. At risk of being repetitive, "A failure is not a failure with good data, and success is not a success without".

It seems, if properly taken, at minimal doses and ONLY just before orgasm, the risks are minimized, and it works fairly well for a good percentage of us.

But it is a big step in moving towards confirmation of potential autoimmune causes for severe cognitive symptoms. For those who do not believe that an "allergy" can make you feel "out of it", "depressed", even "suicidal", the effects that niacin has over the reduction of symptoms points to the mechanism which causes those symptoms.

It's really hard to have an intuitive feel for what is causing a cognitive disorder, because the very part of you that is "screwed up" is the part that generates that perspective.

But when you feel niacin working, it's evident. Where once there was hell, it is now smooth. You wait for the bottom to fall out, but it doesn't.

For sure, you are not CURED. But the evidence is there, both in the flesh AND in th data.

Offline baboo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14552 on: 04/09/2011 16:30:09 »
Hi everyone. I've posted on here briefly some time ago but not much since. I kind of avoided thinking much about POIS as I have other issues going on in my life.

My POIS was triggered by starting on an SSRI medication. I don't know how or why, but I never noticed having this problem prior to taking it. I take Escitalopram. I also know of someone who took Citalopram who suffered brainfog after orgasm.

My symptoms are mainly attention difficulties, difficulty focusing, aswell as motivation problems. It is very hard to be around people when in this state. I get minor body aches too.
I think in my case it may be connected to the SSRI depleting my dopamine levels, which get further depleted after orgasm. Just my guess.

So, from what I can see reading the last few pages, niacin seems popular? Can this be taken after an orgasm?
« Last Edit: 04/09/2011 16:33:23 by baboo »

Offline makrofag

• View Profile
« Reply #14553 on: 04/09/2011 16:45:51 »
But it may be a big step in moving towards confirmation of potential autoimmune causes for severe cognitive symptoms. For those who do not believe that an "allergy" can make you feel "out of it", "depressed", even "suicidal", the effects that niacin has over the reduction of symptoms may point to the mechanism which maybe cause those symptoms.

Just a little correction.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14554 on: 04/09/2011 19:02:16 »
Hi everyone. I've posted on here briefly some time ago but not much since. I kind of avoided thinking much about POIS as I have other issues going on in my life.

My POIS was triggered by starting on an SSRI medication. I don't know how or why, but I never noticed having this problem prior to taking it. I take Escitalopram. I also know of someone who took Citalopram who suffered brainfog after orgasm.

My symptoms are mainly attention difficulties, difficulty focusing, aswell as motivation problems. It is very hard to be around people when in this state. I get minor body aches too.
I think in my case it may be connected to the SSRI depleting my dopamine levels, which get further depleted after orgasm. Just my guess.

So, from what I can see reading the last few pages, niacin seems popular? Can this be taken after an orgasm?

Hi Babou! I also took for 6 months Escitalopram. My Pois before taking the drug was negligible. In fact, i didn't know i had Pois before taking the SSRI.

But thinking about it, i remember i was having brain fog and low energy issues for some years before taking the SSRI. So, it seems i already had Pois.

However, i also think Escitalopram made it much worse. I remember when i was under Escitalopram i was nearly impossible for me to reach an orgasm.

I think it may not be only related to dopamine, because SSRI's modify more neurotransmitters, not just dopamine.

Who knows, maybe the issue is with serotonin. SSRI's may have caused to deplete your serotonin levels post-SSRI.

So, if you really want to check if that is the issue, you could talk to your doctor, and try some drug to reverse the SSRI effect.

Maybe something similar to Wellbutrin, Requip, or serotonin antagonists. Or maybe something different that increases serotonin, like MAOI's.

But please take care, and always talk to your doctor. Some drugs are dangerours and can have side effects.

Aso, a blood test about neurotransmitters could be of some help.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14555 on: 04/09/2011 22:36:36 »
But it may be a big step in moving towards confirmation of potential autoimmune causes for severe cognitive symptoms. For those who do not believe that an "allergy" can make you feel "out of it", "depressed", even "suicidal", the effects that niacin has over the reduction of symptoms may point to the mechanism which maybe cause those symptoms.

Just a little correction.

That's fine if you want to see I that way! I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline Pharaoh

• View Profile
« Reply #14556 on: 05/09/2011 05:47:50 »
Niacin seems to be working for me.  I started taking 100 mg in the morning yesterday.  Made me agressive and sexually aroused.  Had an O, then took 200 mg.  Had another O.  Not 100% by any means, but definitely feeling better than I would under the circumstances.  We'll see what tomorrow brings. 

A few questions:

1.  Many of us were normal at one point, and then experienced POIS.  Sometimes the development was gradual.  Some have identified specific substances that maybe the trigger, e.g. Animus's herbal male enhancement and baboo's Escitalopram.  So, the question is, how did they become allergic to their own semen?  I suppose I have trouble with idea that one can suddenly become allergic to their own semen.  If it was a birth disorder, then it would be more acceptable.  But, the idea that SSRI's or other neurochemical altering substances can "trigger" POIS leads me to believe there is more to it than a very intense allergic reaction.

2. The quote Horizon provided from reference.com is fascinating.  It basically states that all people can be allergic to their own semen: "Sperm are immunogenic - that is they will cause an autoimmune reaction if transplanted from the testis into a different part of the body."  This raises the question of whether intradermal tests actually tell us anything.  Furthermore, as many have pointed out, and as one allergy dr. my endocrinologist phoned during my appointment immediately identified, there is no control group in Waldinger's work.  According to the research cited, the photos Habibou shared do not show anything unexpected. 

3.  The symptoms of sexual exhaustion seem to be very similar, if not identical, to those of POIS.  This may also explain why multiple O's will lead to more severe POIS symptoms.  Simply because many people can have multiple O's in one day without any consequences does not rule out that some can become extremely fatigued after one.  But, I do believe there is more to POIS than just exhaustion.  I would like more investigation into the condition of the blood-testis barrier and the rete testis in POIS sufferers.  Could it be that we have damaged this mechanism?  This may explain why some people develop POIS after years of normality.  But, why would SSRI's or herbal male enhancements lead to this?  Maybe they are red herrings.  Or, they effected the mechanism in a way that made it more vulnerable to damage. 

My endocrinologist can not make sense of why anti-histamines have no effect whatsoever.  He's gone so far as to recommend I make the trip to Holland.  He also recommended I see Dr. Arthur Burnett.  He's a big shot urologist at John's Hopkins.  Let's see what he thinks. 

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Offline EDS

• View Profile
« Reply #14557 on: 05/09/2011 12:39:26 »
I have a question for everyone!!

If a very respected medical institution approached you and offered you a magic pill that would cure you of this hideous disease called POIS, would you pay $100, $1,000, or even $10,000 for it?!!
OF COURSE YOU WOULD!!!
I certainly would pay as much as possible to be able to live a normal life - be able to interact, feel good, enjoy intimate time with my wife, not have achy joints or worry about NE's, etc., etc.

The way I figure it - There are at least 350 of us (I think many more) viewing this site on a regular basis. If each of us gave only $100, we would have the necessary funding to start the NORD study. Some of us have already given or pledged more, so even if it is only $50, I think we can get there. Think about it - for less than the cost of a nice meal out, we may find relief from misery!

NORD may very well offer the "magic pill" of which I spoke! We will never know if we don't take a small leap of faith and support ourselves to get the necessary funding. A lot of the questions and speculation we discuss here will be answered when we get a world class institution like NORD on our side.

So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, give what you can to the fund. We simply have to support ourselves... so let's start today! We will surely benefit!! And we all know how much better our quality of life will be if we can beat this plague!!!

It is very easy to give with a credit card. Just click on the link below and donate for the betterment of us all.
https://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations/fg_base_view_p3 [nofollow]

To quote a famous advertising slogan "JUST DO IT"
« Last Edit: 05/09/2011 20:28:16 by EDS »

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #14558 on: 05/09/2011 13:44:49 »
everyone dont forget the Niacin poll at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=200.0

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14559 on: 05/09/2011 20:57:49 »
Niacin seems to be working for me.  I started taking 100 mg in the morning yesterday.  Made me agressive and sexually aroused.  Had an O, then took 200 mg.  Had another O.  Not 100% by any means, but definitely feeling better than I would under the circumstances.  We'll see what tomorrow brings. 

A few questions:

1.  Many of us were normal at one point, and then experienced POIS.  Sometimes the development was gradual.  Some have identified specific substances that maybe the trigger, e.g. Animus's herbal male enhancement and baboo's Escitalopram.  So, the question is, how did they become allergic to their own semen?  I suppose I have trouble with idea that one can suddenly become allergic to their own semen.  If it was a birth disorder, then it would be more acceptable.  But, the idea that SSRI's or other neurochemical altering substances can "trigger" POIS leads me to believe there is more to it than a very intense allergic reaction.

2. The quote Horizon provided from reference.com is fascinating.  It basically states that all people can be allergic to their own semen: "Sperm are immunogenic - that is they will cause an autoimmune reaction if transplanted from the testis into a different part of the body."  This raises the question of whether intradermal tests actually tell us anything.  Furthermore, as many have pointed out, and as one allergy dr. my endocrinologist phoned during my appointment immediately identified, there is no control group in Waldinger's work.  According to the research cited, the photos Habibou shared do not show anything unexpected. 

3.  The symptoms of sexual exhaustion seem to be very similar, if not identical, to those of POIS.  This may also explain why multiple O's will lead to more severe POIS symptoms.  Simply because many people can have multiple O's in one day without any consequences does not rule out that some can become extremely fatigued after one.  But, I do believe there is more to POIS than just exhaustion.  I would like more investigation into the condition of the blood-testis barrier and the rete testis in POIS sufferers.  Could it be that we have damaged this mechanism?  This may explain why some people develop POIS after years of normality.  But, why would SSRI's or herbal male enhancements lead to this?  Maybe they are red herrings.  Or, they effected the mechanism in a way that made it more vulnerable to damage. 

My endocrinologist can not make sense of why anti-histamines have no effect whatsoever.  He's gone so far as to recommend I make the trip to Holland.  He also recommended I see Dr. Arthur Burnett.  He's a big shot urologist at John's Hopkins.  Let's see what he thinks. 

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Pharaoh,

A good post, with reassonable doubts. I think you basically answer point 1 with point 3.

And, I think as you do, that we need more on the blood-testes-brain barrier.

It is almost assumed that the barrier is inpenertrable, and so, for that reason many experts discount the hypothesis.

The whole area of vasectomies and especially reversals demonstrates this. If the blood testes barrier were not so solid, these things would not be possible. But when you think about it, vasectomy side effects and reversal side effects only have a history of about 45 yrs. Sounds like a lot, but if we take my case as an example for instance: I had a vasectomy for 21 yrs, before I had a reversal, and then only after about 10 yrs I started to have POIS.

For things the doctor said, 5 yrs of vasectomy before a reversal is nothing, but 20 yrs is a different story for reasons of anti-body development and damages to the system that might result. Later once the reversal is done, there is a different and stronger reaction that causes damage. Also this may take several years to eventually weaken the barrier.

So there isn't a large history supporting the real resilience of the barrier. Few have both the vasectomy AND the reversal, and few have had the combination for 30 or 40 yrs, so any number would be low, and most likely those that show, are covered as a result of any attempt to cover the doctors' butts.

So it is rare..... but so is POIS.

Dr. Goldmeier, who is a good friend of POIS, and is very well respected, saw CFS (similar to Sexual Exhaustion) in Habibou as the result of the beating that POIS was imposing on his system.

What beating? He apparantly believes that it is allergy (autoimmune), but it could be something else. If I had to believe a doctor with Dr. Goldmeier's credenciales and experience over a local endocrinologist, guess who I'm going to go with?

As far as antihistamines, I've tried them, as have a couple of others, and I can't say they haven't had no effect whatsoever. For sure, they may only provide temporary and light relief, maybe as good as no effect, but there are many reasons for that. POIS is not just a low grade "type I" sniffles allergy. One member has found a couple of stronger antihistamines that help him quite a bit. And there are types of antihistamines, for H1, H2 etc.

The attack (if we can permit an immune system attack for the moment) is heavy. More than pollen in the air. It's living critteres in the blood. But even so, after orgasm, the normal person even emits histamines, naturally. Heavy histamine requirements an a fatigued system (or perhaps even normal histimine requirements on a failed system) will leave depletions of the precursors to elements that we need to think properly and concentrate and be incentivated.

Perhaps this is why we confuse POIS with CFS or S/E. Yes the symptoms are very similar, but in our case POIS leads to the others, lasts an average of 6 days and doesn't recuperate with pure abstention. With abstention it can temporarily be easier on isolated "Os" following the abstention but comes back to "normal" after just a few. This temporary and slight recuperation is probably because the CFS or S/E consequences of POIS are relieved.

« Last Edit: 05/09/2011 21:11:10 by daveman »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14560 on: 05/09/2011 21:40:28 »
"Saw palmetto is used by natural health practitioners to treat a variety of ailments in men and women, such as testicular inflammation, urinary tract inflammation, coughs, and respiratory congestion. It is also used to strengthen the thyroid gland, balance the metabolism, stimulate appetite, and aid digestion."

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/saw+palmetto

Since saw palmetto makes my testicles much less tender and takes away the burning feeling that usually accompanies urination, these facts provide evidence of actual inflammation in my body resulting from orgasm. Saw palmetto also reduces the bloating I have during POIS and makes bowel movements less painful which is evidence that POIS causes my intestines to become inflamed or my digestion to become hindered in some way.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14561 on: 05/09/2011 22:22:21 »
"Saw palmetto is used by natural health practitioners to treat a variety of ailments in men and women, such as testicular inflammation, urinary tract inflammation, coughs, and respiratory congestion. It is also used to strengthen the thyroid gland, balance the metabolism, stimulate appetite, and aid digestion."

Since saw palmetto makes my testicles much less tender and takes away the burning feeling that usually accompanies urination, these facts provide evidence of actual inflammation in my body resulting from orgasm. Saw palmetto also reduces the bloating I have during POIS and makes bowel movements less painful which is evidence that POIS causes my intestines to become inflamed or my digestion to become hindered in some way.

I'm glad to hear it's helping you.  There are 3 glands that produce the seminal fluid.  The seminal vescicles, cowpers, and the prostate.  The seminal vescicles and the prostate produce 90% of it.  Saw Palmetto helps to shrink the prostate.  Our pois is quite possibly caused by one of those glands... so it's makes sense by me that our pois is helped by shrinking the prostate

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14562 on: 05/09/2011 22:27:01 »

If a very respected medical institution approached you and offered you a magic pill that would cure you of this hideous disease called POIS, would you pay $100, $1,000, or even $10,000 for it?!!
OF COURSE YOU WOULD!!!
I certainly would pay as much as possible to be able to live a normal life - be able to interact, feel good, enjoy intimate time with my wife, not have achy joints or worry about NE's, etc., etc.

The way I figure it - There are at least 350 of us (I think many more) viewing this site on a regular basis. If each of us gave only $100, we would have the necessary funding to start the NORD study. Some of us have already given or pledged more, so even if it is only $50, I think we can get there. Think about it - for less than the cost of a nice meal out, we may find relief from misery!

NORD may very well offer the "magic pill" of which I spoke! We will never know if we don't take a small leap of faith and support ourselves to get the necessary funding. A lot of the questions and speculation we discuss here will be answered when we get a world class institution like NORD on our side.

So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, give what you can to the fund. We simply have to support ourselves... so let's start today! We will surely benefit!! And we all know how much better our quality of life will be if we can beat this plague!!!

It is very easy to give with a credit card. Just click on the link below and donate for the betterment of us all.
https://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations/fg_base_view_p3

EDS you're exactly right!  Not everyone can afford $100, but also some people can afford more.  If we all give $100 we'll have the NORD money raised in no time. 

If you factor in your happiness, your lost wages/ work potential, quality of life, etc, then Getting rid of this thing is worth a 100 times more than that to EACH of us!

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14563 on: 06/09/2011 04:00:24 »
Bdaniel am sure you meant to say at least 10000 times more

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14564 on: 06/09/2011 06:49:44 »

OF COURSE YOU WOULD!!!

https://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations/fg_base_view_p3

EDS you're exactly right!  Not everyone can afford $100, but also some people can afford more.  If we all give $100 we'll have the NORD money raised in no time. 

If you factor in your happiness, your lost wages/ work potential, quality of life, etc, then Getting rid of this thing is worth a 100 times more than that to EACH of us!

B_Daniel am sure you meant to say at least 10000 times more

EDS, B_DANIEL, AND CCCONFUCIUS....THANK YOU!!!!

:)   :)   :)
« Last Edit: 06/09/2011 06:53:56 by demografx »

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #14565 on: 06/09/2011 07:22:16 »
Honestly guys I dont see what else this could be rather than an allergic reaction.

I mean obviously its something in our semen that is making our body act like this, Masturbation without ejaculation doesnt harm but with Ejaculation causes a world of problems!

It it just me or when you ejaculate do you feel like a wave through your  body that kind of just wipes away your strenght that you dont get back, and you dont feel it get back, I get that back in my sleep 48 hours later.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14566 on: 06/09/2011 08:59:36 »

B_Daniel am sure you meant to say at least 10000 times more

EDS, B_DANIEL, AND CCCONFUCIUS....THANK YOU!!!!

:)   :)   :)

Haha!  Whatever my left arm is worth... THAT many times more!

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #14567 on: 06/09/2011 18:36:07 »
Flipping POIS! I pledge $500 now to the NORD fund, maybe more in future.
I suspect one of the problems with the NORD system is...what happens to the money donated if we don't actually make it to the required amount? I'm not suggesting we won't make it but its not surprising to me that people aren't making that many donations. However, pledging is a different matter. My only hope is that when the pledged total is actually enough to get the ball rolling, people actually cough up a real donation to make it happen. I think they will.

If the donation system were set up such that money would be refunded if the required total for NORD POIS research wasn't reached after say 5 years, people might be more forthcoming with real donations - a sort of guarantee that money donated would only be used for POIS and be refunded if no POIS research was forthcoming. Please don't let it take 5 years to get started though!! Roll up people. As EDS and others have so brilliantly written, it should be easy to get this total. If you don't want to actually part with your money now until you know we're close to $33,500 then at least pledge something...and stick to it. That's where I'm at just now.  I know, as usual, I've not been posting very frequently on here... Thanks everyone for carrying on the battle so persistently, I really am grateful to you all.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14568 on: 06/09/2011 19:35:07 »
Honestly guys I dont see what else this could be rather than an allergic reaction.

I mean obviously its something in our semen that is making our body act like this, Masturbation without ejaculation doesnt harm but with Ejaculation causes a world of problems!

It it just me or when you ejaculate do you feel like a wave through your  body that kind of just wipes away your strenght that you dont get back, and you dont feel it get back, I get that back in my sleep 48 hours later.

Yes, but it could also be that the brain detects when you have a real ejaculation, and the reward system could be different. Maybe the brain only releases certain neurotransmittes and hormones if it detects that the ejactulation has been 100% real.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14569 on: 06/09/2011 19:40:06 »

I'm glad to hear it's helping you.  There are 3 glands that produce the seminal fluid.  The seminal vescicles, cowpers, and the prostate.  The seminal vescicles and the prostate produce 90% of it.  Saw Palmetto helps to shrink the prostate.  Our pois is quite possibly caused by one of those glands... so it's makes sense by me that our pois is helped by shrinking the prostate

I've got one question. I don't know if it's because of POIS, but lately i have the urge to pee more than usual. Is that a symptom of prostate inflammation?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14570 on: 06/09/2011 20:41:28 »

I pledge $500 now to the NORD fund

Mellivora, thank you so much!!!
« Last Edit: 06/09/2011 20:44:40 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14571 on: 07/09/2011 07:14:37 »

People,

Please don't forget there is another POIS-forum (supported and created by this community), where we can discuss in topics (instead of in one long thread).

http://www.poiscenter.com/forums/index.php

Please have a look.

Rocky

« Last Edit: 07/09/2011 08:11:11 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14572 on: 07/09/2011 07:27:56 »
For those of you not yet familiar.....

We started a POIS Medical Research Fund to accelerate our finding a POIS cure! It is explained here in detail:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=125.0

We've raised nearly $3,000.....with much more $$$ pledged!

And your POIS fund donation is most welcome here:
http://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations

Helping the Fund will help YOU to a faster cure for YOUR POIS!!

If you can't contribute now, post your PLEDGE ! Knowledge of your "future funding" intentions will be very uplifting and will affect us all!!

$ Large or small $ !! THANK YOU!!!

« Last Edit: 07/09/2011 07:56:56 by demografx »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14573 on: 07/09/2011 11:28:58 »
Would it be dangerous to insert natural lemon juice with water into my urethra? I want to know if it stings, maybe i have some little urethra infection. It may not do any harm, and may clean something.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: 07/09/2011 15:12:57 »
Flipping POIS! I pledge $500 now to the NORD fund, maybe more in future.
I suspect one of the problems with the NORD system is...what happens to the money donated if we don't actually make it to the required amount? I'm not suggesting we won't make it but its not surprising to me that people aren't making that many donations. However, pledging is a different matter. My only hope is that when the pledged total is actually enough to get the ball rolling, people actually cough up a real donation to make it happen. I think they will.

If the donation system were set up such that money would be refunded if the required total for NORD POIS research wasn't reached after say 5 years, people might be more forthcoming with real donations - a sort of guarantee that money donated would only be used for POIS and be refunded if no POIS research was forthcoming. Please don't let it take 5 years to get started though!! Roll up people. As EDS and others have so brilliantly written, it should be easy to get this total. If you don't want to actually part with your money now until you know we're close to $33,500 then at least pledge something...and stick to it. That's where I'm at just now.  I know, as usual, I've not been posting very frequently on here... Thanks everyone for carrying on the battle so persistently, I really am grateful to you all.

Thank you sincerely for your donation, Mellivora.  With your pledge, we've surpassed the 1/3 marker and are closer than ever!

In regards to your points above, I'll tell you what I'm doing.  I'm donating my money on a schedule.  So I've given the first portion now.  When our donation tally reaches $5K, I'll give another bit, and so on and so forth.  I know rob58, EDS, and some others have similar strategies.  That being said, I think there's also an unspoken agreement that when the total pledged amount exceeds the $33.5K, it'll be time for us all to go all in.  Then we can celebrate!   

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14574 on: 07/09/2011 15:12:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums