The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6428196 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14575 on: 07/09/2011 17:31:57 »

Would it be dangerous to insert natural lemon juice with water into my urethra? I want to know if it stings, maybe i have some little urethra infection. It may not do any harm, and may clean something.

Quasar, PLEASE ask this of a physician!

None of us here are qualified to respond !
« Last Edit: 07/09/2011 17:35:14 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: 07/09/2011 17:38:08 »

Flipping POIS! I pledge $500 now to the NORD fund, maybe more in future.
I suspect one of the problems with the NORD system is...what happens to the money donated if we don't actually make it to the required amount? I'm not suggesting we won't make it but its not surprising to me that people aren't making that many donations. However, pledging is a different matter. My only hope is that when the pledged total is actually enough to get the ball rolling, people actually cough up a real donation to make it happen. I think they will.

If the donation system were set up such that money would be refunded if the required total for NORD POIS research wasn't reached after say 5 years, people might be more forthcoming with real donations - a sort of guarantee that money donated would only be used for POIS and be refunded if no POIS research was forthcoming. Please don't let it take 5 years to get started though!! Roll up people. As EDS and others have so brilliantly written, it should be easy to get this total. If you don't want to actually part with your money now until you know we're close to $33,500 then at least pledge something...and stick to it. That's where I'm at just now.  I know, as usual, I've not been posting very frequently on here... Thanks everyone for carrying on the battle so persistently, I really am grateful to you all.

Thank you sincerely for your donation, Mellivora.  With your pledge, we've surpassed the 1/3 marker and are closer than ever!

In regards to your points above, I'll tell you what I'm doing.  I'm donating my money on a schedule.  So I've given the first portion now.  When our donation tally reaches $5K, I'll give another bit, and so on and so forth.  I know rob58, EDS, and some others have similar strategies.  That being said, I think there's also an unspoken agreement that when the total pledged amount exceeds the $33.5K, it'll be time for us all to go all in.  Then we can celebrate!  

B_Daniel, this is simply wonderful!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14577 on: 07/09/2011 18:05:06 »

Would it be dangerous to insert natural lemon juice with water into my urethra? I want to know if it stings, maybe i have some little urethra infection. It may not do any harm, and may clean something.

Quasar, PLEASE ask this of a physician!

None of us here are qualified to respond !

Thanks Demo. You're right. I should ask to my doctor. But i was talking about just inserting some drops to the tip of my penis. So, it would be just a small part of the urethra. If i can, i will ask it to my doctor, although is quite a rare question.

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: 07/09/2011 19:18:38 »
I have the same concerns as mellivora.  If I knew that we'd reach the goal, I would be happy to donate $1,000.  If you want to make the pledges more legit, we can open up a cause at thepoint (started by the founder of Groupon) and they will only charge our credit cards if a preset amount is reached.  I checked it out earlier and the main drawback I saw was that if it "tips" then it releases our real names.

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14579 on: 07/09/2011 20:05:46 »
It is very important that mellivora underlined his personal concerns because it seems to be shared by many other secretly ! Let s hope it will be the trigger for our Nord programme :)

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #14580 on: 07/09/2011 20:10:53 »
I feel the same as both of you, and my initial pledge will be honored.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14581 on: 07/09/2011 22:24:12 »
Mellivora, B_Daniel, Willem, Limejuice, Habibou and all: your concerns are well expressed and legitimate. Daveman and I will bring this up with Stefanie when she returns from a leave of absence in a few weeks. Many thanks for speaking your mind!

Demo
« Last Edit: 07/09/2011 22:26:32 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14582 on: 08/09/2011 18:05:52 »
Is Vandemolen still around? I haven't read any posts from him in a while... especially interesting are his updates on the desensitization he was getting at Dr Waldinger's!

I got this message from him:
I am fine. Thanks. I feel relief. I think I have 40 % less symptoms. Now I have only 2 days of POIS. Before the therapy 4 days. Now day 1 is like how day 2 used to be. And day 2 is like day 4.
I am now on 1/70 of dillution. Next Thursday I will have a 1/50 shot. And about 6 weeks I will be on the maximum: 1/20. Then the relief should go faster.

In light of these great results by vandemolen, those of you still looking for doctors to do semen allergy shouldnt give up.  Within my small state i have found two doctors that are willing to do the therapy. One of them changed his mind though because of distance but another one has agreed to do it (hopefully he dosnt change his mind).

my advice for searching; 
check every nook and corner
try university hospital doctors
try independent doctors(the ones that have agreed to do it were independent doctors)
whenever i sent them messages: i included dr waldingers papers and other papers, my psychologist letter proving my mental symptoms, and results from dr bewtra in creighton university, and a sob letter discribing how pois is destroying my life and now you can  add proofs that it is helping others you know.

CC, excellent advice, thank you!

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14583 on: 08/09/2011 18:43:50 »
Mellivora, B_Daniel, Willem, Limejuice, Habibou and all: your concerns are well expressed and legitimate. Daveman and I will bring this up with Stefanie when she returns from a leave of absence in a few weeks. Many thanks for speaking your mind!

Demo

Thanks for your understanding Demo.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect NORD to return donations received from hither and yon, and so wonder if we couldn't run a complimentary system on the side and if we raise the funds on thepoint and it tips then the check gets cut to NORD.  We'd have to make sure that we could adjust the tipping amount in case more donations are received through NORD and a lower amount is needed from thepoint.

Offline Ryuk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14584 on: 08/09/2011 19:53:46 »
Oh my god...I thought I was alone with this!

Ever since I was 13, every time I orgasmed, I felt the usual relaxation which I assumed was normal. But hours later and even the next day or two, the tiredness stayed. Post-orgasm, I feel lethargic, I can't think as clear as usual, time feels like it's moving too fast, I feel physically sore, I'm also prone to migraines and acne in the days following. I always thought I was crazy for thinking there was an actual problem and doctors said it was all in my head, but I knew it wasn't.

I'm 18 now, and it's been a constant internal battle. I fight with myself to not masturbate or have sex, but every once in awhile I give in and I'm finished for 2 days. I always thought how unfair it was how other guys could have sex/masturbate 5 times in a night and still have energy, while if I do it once, I'm mentally and physically exhausted for days. I'm so glad I finally found out there's more people like me xD

Does anybody have any recommendations on something to take/do to get rid of these debilitating symptoms? And could someone explain what's even going on?

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14585 on: 09/09/2011 00:47:01 »

Ever since I was 13, every time I orgasmed, I felt the usual relaxation which I assumed was normal. But hours later and even the next day or two, the tiredness stayed. Post-orgasm, I feel lethargic, I can't think as clear as usual, time feels like it's moving too fast, I feel physically sore, I'm also prone to migraines and acne in the days following. I always thought I was crazy for thinking there was an actual problem and doctors said it was all in my head, but I knew it wasn't.

I'm 18 now, and it's been a constant internal battle. I fight with myself to not masturbate or have sex, but every once in awhile I give in and I'm finished for 2 days. I always thought how unfair it was how other guys could have sex/masturbate 5 times in a night and still have energy, while if I do it once, I'm mentally and physically exhausted for days. I'm so glad I finally found out there's more people like me xD

Does anybody have any recommendations on something to take/do to get rid of these debilitating symptoms? And could someone explain what's even going on?

Welcome Ryuk!

I've got similar symptoms as you. About recommendations, some meds have worked for some users are: Niacin, Testosterone replace therapy, and desensitization. The main theory is that we suffer from an allergy to our own semen. Please, always consult your doctor before taking any medication.

Lately i'm having lots of trouble with my stomach post-Pois. It becomes bloated and i have diarrhea.  [:(!]

I'd also like to ask a question to all of you: Apart from other symptoms, if we only take into account the sexual exhaustion post-Pois, do you lose sexual potency while in Pois?

I mean, if we suppose Pois is a kind of extended refractory period. I mean, a lot of people becomes tired for some hours after sex. What if Pois makes us tired for days instead of hours?

I know Pois has other symptoms like migraine, stomach symptoms, etc.

But if we speak only about the refractory period, if it's true that Pois makes the refractory period longer, what can be done to make the refractory period shorter and recover sooner the lost sexual potency?

Has anyone experienced in medications with this objective in mind?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14586 on: 09/09/2011 02:09:15 »
Ryuk, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the file for that TV documentary, "Desperate Measures", which can be downloaded and played. The segment starts at about 12:20..
http://www.fileserve.com/file/cUtJa9R/TITLE01.mp4

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 09/09/2011 02:22:36 by demografx »

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14587 on: 09/09/2011 19:54:24 »

Welcome Ryuk!  We're here to help you and I'm assuming you'll learn a lot about our condition in the coming months.  It's an exciting time for POIS with several people reporting positive results from treatments like Niacin (many members) and desensitization (Vandemolen and myself), and some confirmed cases of testosterone (Demo), desensitization (2 cases in Waldinger's paper) and "male hysterectomy" (Animus) working.  There's hope!
« Last Edit: 09/09/2011 20:00:01 by Willem »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14588 on: 09/09/2011 20:25:42 »

It's an exciting time for POIS with several people reporting positive results from treatments like Niacin (many members) and desensitization (Vandemolen and myself), and some confirmed cases of testosterone (Demo), desensitization (2 cases in Waldinger's paper) and "male hysterectomy" (Animus) working.  There's hope!

Willem, terrific state-of-the-art summary of POIS treatment! Thank you.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2011 01:59:14 by demografx »

Offline carlitto

• View Profile
« Reply #14589 on: 09/09/2011 22:16:12 »

Welcome Ryuk!  We're here to help you and I'm assuming you'll learn a lot about our condition in the coming months.  It's an exciting time for POIS with several people reporting positive results from treatments like Niacin (many members) and desensitization (Vandemolen and myself), and some confirmed cases of testosterone (Demo), desensitization (2 cases in Waldinger's paper) and "male hysterectomy" (Animus) working.  There's hope!

Hello Willem,
could you please again summarize a bit your desensitization treatment
1- when did you start and where
2- how many injections have you received till now and concentrations
3- percent of improvement you are feeling
4- fresh or frozen samples each time?

can't wait to hear it is working for you!
thanks

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14590 on: 09/09/2011 22:37:12 »

But if we speak only about the refractory period, if it's true that Pois makes the refractory period longer, what can be done to make the refractory period shorter and recover sooner the lost sexual potency?[/b]

So i did some reading on the refractory period a few months ago.  I don't know how many hormones/whatnot are part of this process, but I read from a few different sources that one of the main ones is Prolactin.  Prolactin makes you feel tired and groggy.  It's what drug addicts experience pretty badly when they're going cold-turkey away from drugs.  The body elevates prolactin after sex, which in turn decreases oxytocin "cuddle hormone" and dopamine.  So, from an evolutionary standpoint, after a male has sex, Prolactin levels are raised to decrease the male's appetite for more sex.  It's a signal to the man that he has spread his seed and now the job is over.

I took Vitex berry for a couple months, which is the foremost supplement known to reduce prolactin.  I also had  bloodwork to check my Prolactin levels, and I had it checked during a terrible POIS episode.  It was within the normal range.  

That experience has helped me to conclude that POIS is not just a lengthened refractory period.

I'm just one data point though.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2011 02:24:48 by B_Daniel »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14591 on: 09/09/2011 22:37:33 »
Answer to quasar's question still excited even while in pois
All my prolactin test came back normal.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14592 on: 09/09/2011 22:40:27 »

Hello Willem,
could you please again summarize a bit your desensitization treatment
1- when did you start and where
2- how many injections have you received till now and concentrations
3- percent of improvement you are feeling
4- fresh or frozen samples each time?

can't wait to hear it is working for you!
thanks

Willem -You're doing the sublingual immunotherapy at home.  I know there's probably some risk of shock and perhaps it's against medical advice to do this on your own so pls be as safe as possible about it, but I just wanted to personally say that I'm very excited for your results.  I know you're waiting for conclusive evidence to share with us, so I'm waiting patiently until then.  Also, i think you're a crazy pioneer/maverick for treating yourself with this and I give you a ton of credit for undertaking such an experiment!
« Last Edit: 09/09/2011 23:19:38 by B_Daniel »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14593 on: 09/09/2011 22:46:42 »
Oh my god...I thought I was alone with this!.....

Hahaha!  Ryuk - i felt the same way when i found this place 4 months ago.  Only difference is I'm 27 and have been living with this sh1t condition so much longer!  You're lucky to have found us!

Demo's welcome post to you includes a lot of great resources which will help get you caught up to speed as quickly as possibly.  We don't yet have a POIS 101 introductory course to give you everything you probably want to know, but do a bunch of reading and you'll get there.  Welcome!   

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #14594 on: 09/09/2011 23:36:15 »
Ryuk,
Welcome!

I can imagine it is almost impossible to go through the 600 pages here;
This community has therefore created a forum to discuss in topics,
for example about the recent niacin solution:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
then just click home to see the other topics, it's the best pois overview we have right now.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14595 on: 09/09/2011 23:42:35 »

But if we speak only about the refractory period, if it's true that Pois makes the refractory period longer, what can be done to make the refractory period shorter and recover sooner the lost sexual potency?[/b]

So i did some reading on the refractory period.  I don't know how many hormones/whatnot are part of this process, but I read from a few different sources that one of the main ones is Prolactin.  Prolactin makes you feel tired and groggy.  It's what some drug addicts experience pretty badly when they're going cold-turkey away from drugs.  The body elevates prolactin after sex, which in turn decreases oxytocin "cuddle hormone" and dopamine.  So, from an evolutionary standpoint, after a male has sex, Prolactin levels are raised to decrease the male's appetite for more sex.  It's a signal to the man that he has spread his seed and now the job is over.

I took Vitex berry for a couple months, which is the foremost supplement known to reduce prolactin.  I also had  bloodwork to check my Prolactin levels, and I had it checked during a terrible POIS episode.  It was within the normal range.  

That experience has helped me to conclude that POIS is not just a lengthened refractory period.

Thanks a lot B_Daniel!

So, if we suppose we have no trouble with the refractory period, then...what is causing the lose of sexual potency in Pois? I mean, at least in me, when i'm under Pois i become nearly-impotent. So, even if we don't have a problem with the refractory period, we have a problem somewhere else, and closely related to sexual potency and other symptoms, of course. I think demografx has had some success with Levitra.

I mean, it may not cure Pois, but at least it's a good option in terms of relationships, and sexual potency. And it may help Pois symptoms.

What i'm thinking is that i can notice a severe muscular contraction after having an orgasm in my whole body. Also, what i was saying about sexual potency, i mean, i not only become nearly-impotent in Pois, but also i can see and feel my penis becomes quite, quite small for days!! Too small.

When i'm without Pois, my penis looks more normal, more dilated.

I usually do body stretches, because of some back pain. And i can tell you that before Pois i can nearly touch my feet with my hand, and some minutes after orgasm, i can barely do it. My back leg and back muscles become more contracted.

So, if we get these two symptoms together, i'm starting to think, that a general muscular contraction is making worse the peripheral arterial system -arterioles-. This is well documented. For example, Calcium Channel Blockers are used to prevent the muscular contraction around arterioles, so they prevent their contraction. They also prevent cerebral vasospasm.

"Calcium channel blockers work by blocking voltage-gated calcium channels (VGCCs) in cardiac muscle and blood vessels. This decreases intracellular calcium leading to a reduction in muscle contraction. In the heart, a decrease in calcium available for each beat results in a decrease in cardiac contractility. In blood vessels, a decrease in calcium results in less contraction of the vascular smooth muscle and therefore an increase in arterial diameter (CCBs do not work on venous smooth muscle), a phenomenon called vasodilation. Vasodilation decreases total peripheral resistance, while a decrease in cardiac contractility decreases cardiac output. Since blood pressure is determined by cardiac output and peripheral resistance, blood pressure drops. Calcium channel blockers are especially effective against large vessel stiffness, one of the common causes of elevated systolic blood pressure in elderly patients.[2]"

Please, consult your doctor before taking a Calcium Channel Blocker, or any other drug, because they can be dangerous and have side effects. Thanks.

Some alpha and beta blockers also prevent smooth muscle contraction. So, i don't really know what could be better for us: a calcium channel blocker, an alpha blocker or a beta blocker.  ??? Some members have reported that aplha blockers did nothing for them, and beta blockers also did not reduce Pois symptoms....

The problem i see with Calcium Channel Blockers and alpha/beta blockers (except Yohimbine) is that they don't improve erectile dysfunction, in fact, some of them make it worse.

Magnesium also can help: "Ionic calcium is antagonized by magnesium ions in the nervous system. Because of this, bioavailable supplements of magnesium, possibly including magnesium chloride, magnesium lactate and magnesium aspartate, may increase or enhance the effects of calcium channel blockade.[3]"
« Last Edit: 10/09/2011 00:58:00 by Quasar »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14596 on: 10/09/2011 02:01:52 »

Gee.....and here I thought you were a swell human being.....where did I go wrong??? ;D

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: 10/09/2011 03:01:38 »

Gee.....and here I thought you were a swell human being.....where did I go wrong??? ;D

haha demo this where you went wrong... you missed the 1st question !  ;D  just joking!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: 10/09/2011 06:55:18 »
B_Daniel, in that case I will double up on my efforts till I get it RIGHT!!!

Offline Zoop

• View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: 10/09/2011 15:14:30 »
2. The quote Horizon provided from reference.com is fascinating.  It basically states that all people can be allergic to their own semen: "Sperm are immunogenic - that is they will cause an autoimmune reaction if transplanted from the testis into a different part of the body."  This raises the question of whether intradermal tests actually tell us anything.  Furthermore, as many have pointed out, and as one allergy dr. my endocrinologist phoned during my appointment immediately identified, there is no control group in Waldinger's work.  According to the research cited, the photos Habibou shared do not show anything unexpected. 

This is not sure. Most male can be allergic to their semen but since their blood has never been in contact with it, the skinprick could be different to one done on a man with POIS, whose allergic reaction could be enhanced by multiple contact with the allergen. This may let physicians to do the difference between the POISed man and the non-POISed man. Just thoughts, I'm not allergist.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2011 15:16:02 by Zoop »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14599 on: 10/09/2011 15:14:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums