The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6429871 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14625 on: 12/09/2011 05:06:36 »

I'm just one data point though.

Gee.....and here I thought you were a swell human being.....where did I go wrong??? ;D

haha demo this where you went wrong... you missed the 1st question !  ;D  just joking!

lol, she took 50/50

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14626 on: 12/09/2011 05:08:37 »
I take niacin daily without effect:

1) maybe the "spike" of niacin is needed, so my daily intake doesn't work possibly because I have built a tolerance to niacin and now my body doesn't "react", it simply has gotten used to it.

2) I take 325mg aspirin at the same time, which may _counter_  the flush that is necessary for POIS treatment effectiveness.

3) My ongoing and very successful POIS treatment with testosterone + stimulants maybe means that I'm not a good candidate for niacin?

demo, u'd be surprised a lot of stimulants have niacin in them, coffee being the highest.

I've also found it strange that what I think caused POIS for me (coffee) can also relieve it during an episode.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14627 on: 12/09/2011 05:19:38 »
I've read people dying from that sort of therapy due to shock?  Be careful

Sublingual therapy?

I guess I should of thought twice when I took 100% semen and put it under my tongue.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: 12/09/2011 05:23:41 »
I "O'd" seven times in between yesterday night and this morning around 11 am, it is now 12 midnight.  I have about 50% POIS symptoms which usually last for a day.  So far it is pretty much gone.  Should be gone within 12 hours from this point.

This is for everybody taking niacin...

You all mean vitamin B correct?

I definitely feel though, that is, the affect of POIS for me is like something that starts where the orgasm takes place in my head (the upper neck lower brain connection), and feels like something is being forced from there up to my midbrain and into the front of my head.  I'm surprised nobody has POIS like this. [?]
« Last Edit: 12/09/2011 05:27:32 by GoingCrazy »

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14629 on: 12/09/2011 05:26:10 »
Willem, what exact procedure do you use to prepare the diluted solution of semen?

And do you just hold the solution under your tongue for a few seconds then spit it out?

I will probably try it in the future considering I don't have money to spend on doctor visits and injection treatments.
Willem's Sublingual Immunotherapy Treatment Process

PROCESS:
  • Collect fresh semen sample in small glass bowl and let sit at room temp until it completely liquifies (>1hr for me)
  • Wrap Al foil over top of glass bowl and freeze
  • Treatment schedule is variable.  Always do it at night so I can rest if it induces POIS.  Usually do treatments every other night.
  • Anti-histamines: I use anti-histamines to reduce reaction to O, but need to be off of them for 48hrs before treatment in order to gauge how my body is reacting.  I've been off of AHs for over a month now.
  • For treatment, remove from freezer, chip off tiny piece (roughly 0.1mL) into another glass bowl, let thaw.  Immediately re-cover and refreeze main sample.
  • Fill 1L measuring cup with warm tap water
  • Using a 1mL needle-less syringe, draw the chipped-off/thawed sample from the bowl into the syringe.  
  • Squirt sample into measuring cup and make sure syringe is evacuated and double check that the semen sample dilutes well (no coagulation)
  • Stir, and while stirring, draw a small sample with a dropper
  • Clear all saliva from under tongue
  • Apply two drops under tongue
  • Let sit for at least 5 minutes (no swallowing)
  • Swallow.  No food or drink for 30 minutes (so as not to disturb the sore throat measurement)
  • The treatment usually gives me a sore throat.  If the sore throat goes away by 10AM (and no POIS etc.), I increase the concentration of the next treatment.  Otherwise I back off of the concentration a bit or keep the concentration constant.

EQUIPMENT:
To get started all you need is a 1mL syringe (see picture below) and a 2L measuring cup with metric units on it.  Once you get into higher concentrations, you will need a graduated cylinder.  Both the 1mL and cylinder came with this dilution kit purchased online.  

PRECAUTION:
This is not medical advice, try at your own risk.  May result in an anaphylactic shock and death or a home remedy cure for POIS
, wish me luck.

mod edit - bold red emphasis mine
« Last Edit: 12/09/2011 18:04:44 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: 12/09/2011 05:33:54 »
Hi Everyone,

Dave and Demo think it's alright to share preliminary results of my sublingual therapy so here goes:

I've been doing the home therapy since May 2011.  I started at 1:50,000 and now am at 1:167.  Around 1:10,000, I started noticing dramatic improvements and have been about the same since then.  Overall POIS is down over 50%.  My mind/energy/motivation/sleep are 80% improved.  My muscles and nerves are about 40% improved.  Recuperation time has gone from 7 days to about 2 days.  I've increased my O frequency from ~1X per week to ~2X per week (trying to get pregnant) and am still feeling pretty good.  Vandemolen has mentioned that major improvements may also come at the 1:70 range so I'm looking forward to that. 

CAVEATS: Since I'm still in the escalation phase I get random side effects from the treatment that I never had from POIS such as: joint pain, intestinal irritation, and pulled muscles.  It also induces a mild, baseline POIS, so maybe I'm being too aggressive, but the treatment itself is not that much fun.  I've been out of town a few weeks and had to take a break from treatments and felt a lot better then, almost normal.  In another 6 weeks or so I should be in the maintenance phase and stop reacting to the treatments.  I'll have a real good idea then of the final outcome.     

Please tell me in 6 weeks if you have POIS anymore.  I am not going to lie about myself but I am a skeptic about this theory.  Please honestly inform me when you are done and orgasm a couple of times, that would be great if it worked. 

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14631 on: 12/09/2011 05:34:44 »
I've read people dying from that sort of therapy due to shock?  Be careful

Sublingual therapy?

I guess I should of thought twice when I took 100% semen and put it under my tongue.
Last I read, there were no confirmed deaths attributable to sublingual therapy.  Even when prescribed by a doctor, the treatment is administered at home with no medical supervision because of its safe track record.  My guess is that your mouth needs to be pretty flexible about what it reacts to.  The main reason most people need a doctor for this is to get access to the samples and at the right dilutions.  As long as we are careful about the dilutions, we have plenty of the sample.

All of us are coming into contact with 1:1 semen periodically so wouldn't we all face the risk of anaphylactic shock?

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: 12/09/2011 09:15:50 »
I am not going to lie about myself but I am a skeptic about this theory. 
yeah, im doubtful it works. i did it for awhile.
sure, you get a negative reaction after dabbing a semen mix under the tongue but i suspected it was self-induced.
I decided to do my own double blind test with one bottle 1:2000 semen mix and another bottle pure mineral water.
One gave me a 3/10 negative reaction, the other 0.5/10.
It turned out it was the mineral water that gave me the stronger negative reaction.

It was nacebo (negative placebo.)
ive since stopped mainly because i feel the semen allergy theory is a load of total bollocks.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2011 09:37:12 by horizon »

Offline prister

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: 12/09/2011 14:42:15 »
Hey,
Even when i get aroused,
i start getting a headache and i feel numbness and heaviness in my head.
My neck becomes stiff and get a back ache.
i find it difficult to even lift my head and it hurts only on one side and that is on the top right of my head.
i feel memory loss and it is hard to read or remember anything also.
The pain is consistent for several days.
it even continuously hurts in the back of my right eye.
Can i have brain aneurysm or hematoma???
Doctors say it might be a migraine attack but medicines dont help and pain doesnt go for days.!!!
Feels like right side of my brain is rigid or kind of dead..!!!
I too get nocturnal emissions at times. :(
What problem do i have???? :((

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: 12/09/2011 15:22:41 »
pristor, it definitely sounds like POIS to me.

We've been experimenting with a lot of small home treatments. For instance fenugreek pills taken with a raw garlic clove greatly ease my brainfog and some of my other symptoms. Saw palmetto works very well for me too, but I think it works for me more by reducing inflammation especially in the lower region of my body.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: 12/09/2011 18:02:01 »
Hey,
Even when i get aroused,
i start getting a headache and i feel numbness and heaviness in my head.
My neck becomes stiff and get a back ache.
i find it difficult to even lift my head and it hurts only on one side and that is on the top right of my head.
i feel memory loss and it is hard to read or remember anything also.
The pain is consistent for several days.
it even continuously hurts in the back of my right eye.
Can i have brain aneurysm or hematoma???
Doctors say it might be a migraine attack but medicines dont help and pain doesnt go for days.!!!
Feels like right side of my brain is rigid or kind of dead..!!!
I too get nocturnal emissions at times. :(
What problem do i have???? :((

Welcome prister!

Yes, it sounds as Pois with a heavy migraine/headache component.

BTW, your right side of your brain is not dead, it's just the scalp. I also get numbness in my scalp after having an "O".

The worse part is that i told doctors i would like to have screened that area of the scalp, but they just limited to do a CT and MRI/MRA of the brain, which obviously was right. In that kind of scans, the scalp -and it's veins and arteries- are NOT easily seen.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: 12/09/2011 18:02:54 »

I take niacin daily without effect:

1) maybe the "spike" of niacin is needed, so my daily intake doesn't work +possibly because I have built a tolerance to niacin and now my body doesn't "react", it simply has gotten used to it.

2) I take 325mg aspirin at the same time, which may _counter_  the flush that is necessary for POIS treatment effectiveness.

3) My ongoing and very successful POIS treatment with testosterone + stimulants maybe means that I'm not a good candidate for niacin?

demo, u'd be surprised a lot of stimulants have niacin in them, coffee being the highest.

I've also found it strange that what I think caused POIS for me (coffee) can also relieve it during an episode.

GoingCrazy, very interesting!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: 12/09/2011 18:08:23 »

prister, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the file for that TV documentary, "Desperate Measures", which can be downloaded and played. The segment starts at about 12:20..
http://www.fileserve.com/file/cUtJa9R/TITLE01.mp4

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus over 1,300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

We started a POIS Medical Research Fund to accelerate our finding a POIS cure! It is explained here in detail:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=125.0

We've raised nearly $3,000.....with much more $$$ pledged!

And your POIS fund donation is most welcome here:
http://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations

Helping the Fund will help YOU to a faster cure for YOUR POIS!!

If you can't contribute now, post your PLEDGE ! Knowledge of your "future funding" intentions will be very uplifting and will affect us all!!

$ Large or small $ !! THANK YOU!!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: 12/09/2011 18:12:10 »

All of us are coming into contact with 1:1 semen periodically so wouldn't we all face the risk of anaphylactic shock?

Willem, excellent point!

Wish me luck [with my Sublingual Immunotherapy Treatment Process].

Best wishes, Willem!!
« Last Edit: 12/09/2011 20:24:57 by demografx »

Offline EDS

• View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: 13/09/2011 00:50:51 »
Come on folks!
We really need to get OUR POIS Fund fully funded!

We can get an answer to what really works and what doesn't when we get the professionals at NORD conducting serious scientific research on our behalf.

Let's continue to try things and speculate, but ultimately we need group coordination and trained physicians on our side.

Please pledge... or better yet actually give to OUR fund.

https://rarediseases.org/about/support/research-donations/fg_base_view_p3 [nofollow]

If we don't do this - no one else will!!

Offline apostate801

• View Profile
« Reply #14640 on: 13/09/2011 03:21:24 »
SLIT info

Do you have to create the mixture everyday or will one liter be good til you get desensitized and increase the concentration

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: 13/09/2011 06:19:11 »
SLIT info

Do you have to create the mixture everyday or will one liter be good til you get desensitized and increase the concentration
I personally create the mixture for every application since the particular concentration depends on how I reacted to the previous treatment.  I also try to minimize the freeze/thaw cycles on the semen. 

Offline apostate801

• View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: 13/09/2011 14:23:25 »
Do you stir the initial sample?  Any idea how long a frozen sample is good for?

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: 13/09/2011 17:02:46 »
Do you stir the initial sample?  Any idea how long a frozen sample is good for?
I do stir the initial sample before freezing to make sure it's liquified.  After a few weeks the frozen sample starts to look freezer burned and doesn't chip off as easily, so I replenish at least once per month. 

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: 14/09/2011 10:36:34 »
For those who have stomach bloatness and diarrhea while in Pois, take a look at this: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:o98SZodJiyYJ:ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/ibs/a/dealibsd.htm+ibs+dehydration&cd=2&hl=es&ct=clnk&gl=es

I notice my skin A LOT more drier when i have Pois, and my stools lose consistency. It is known that diarrhea can cause dehydration.

I also notice much less Pois symptoms if i have the O. with an empty stomach.

What medication/natural alternative could prevent the diarrhea and bloatness in Pois? If we achieve that, we may also prevent dry skin.

BTW,

I've found this from a user named "john1234" in an acne subject board: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Masturbation-Restriction-t210949.html&st=40

"day 15.

Wow, besides the red marks, i have realized that I've come a freaking long way since my depressed state since day 1.

1. my dry skin is eliminated
2. no active bumps
3. mood is up
4. regaining energy (feel young again.)"

I think there's a lot of people with Pois out there....
« Last Edit: 14/09/2011 10:51:20 by Quasar »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: 14/09/2011 15:20:50 »
So, i've been reading about IBS, stomach bloatness and diarrhea, and one of the more successful approaches is to first take Rifaximin for a few days/weeks. It is a very safe antibiotic that kills bad gastrointestinal bacteria. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifaximin

Then, recolonize the gut with probiotics. Here you have a comparison between them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotics

I think this strategy could be useful for Pois members who have stomach discomfort, pain or bloatness, and it's not dangerous to try.

I also have been reading about Ischemic colitis and crhon's disease. Here you have a pic that could explain why Pois could affect the gastrointestinal system: http://allaboutim.webs.com/Ischemic%20Colitis.jpg

That is if we consider Pois is a kind of migraine/vascular disease.
« Last Edit: 14/09/2011 17:45:32 by Quasar »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: 15/09/2011 17:04:21 »

Mellivora, B_Daniel, Willem, Limejuice, Habibou and all: your concerns are well expressed and legitimate. Daveman and I will bring this up with Stefanie when she returns from a leave of absence in a few weeks. Many thanks for speaking your mind!

Demo

Willem  and others, we haven't forgotten about your concerns over the NORD fund. We're working out alternatives as this is being written. Many thanks for your patience!

« Last Edit: 17/09/2011 04:35:50 by demografx »

Offline pois1

• View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: 17/09/2011 02:34:40 »
Has anyone experimented with treatments after POIS starts?  So I had an O last night then today I took 500mg of Niacin.  I had the flush and felt some improvement over the symptoms but ended up with some lightheadness.  It felt like POIS was still there and was returning after some time.  Then I thought about how if this is an allergy, maybe Benadryl would help.  I took an aspiring and Benadryl and felt some improvement after a few hours.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
« Reply #14648 on: 17/09/2011 11:25:25 »
Has anyone experimented with treatments after POIS starts?  So I had an O last night then today I took 500mg of Niacin.  I had the flush and felt some improvement over the symptoms but ended up with some lightheadness.  It felt like POIS was still there and was returning after some time.  Then I thought about how if this is an allergy, maybe Benadryl would help.  I took an aspiring and Benadryl and felt some improvement after a few hours.

After Pois has started, it's very difficult to abort it, because it presents with a lot of symptoms. You may improve some of the symptoms, but a lot of us here think that it's more difficult to abort it, than to prevent it.

I experienced with Niacin before and Niacin after Pois. And Niacin before Pois helped me more.

I also tried Paracetamol after Pois, and it helped.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: 17/09/2011 19:41:42 »
fenugreek + garlic/green tea work pretty well to abort POIS for me. Same with saw palmetto. However they work better if taken before orgasm.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14649 on: 17/09/2011 19:41:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums