The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6426439 times)

Offline Alexander Russian

• First timers
    • View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14775 on: 13/10/2011 06:13:43 »
I think, dear friends, POIS it ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK by allergic reaction to own semen. It is enough to look at symptoms - they are very similar. At us in Russia is a lot of patients POIS. Thanks for attention!

Offline victor.kons

• View Profile
« Reply #14776 on: 13/10/2011 12:31:22 »
Alexander is an active participant of russian Syndrom X blog. Recently he wrote a post where he explains that there are huge similarities in symptoms of POIS and Anaphylactic Shock. He also mentions that his mother had an allergic reaction to the sperm of his father.

The post of Alexander in russian is located here:
http://syndrom-x.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post.html

Victor

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14777 on: 13/10/2011 16:34:30 »
POIS being anaphylactic shock is an interesting idea. I wonder if anyone with POIS has tried epinephrine after an orgasm to see if it lessens symptoms since epinephrine is given to people in anaphylactic shock.

EDIT- I did an advanced google search for "epinephrine" in this forum and found a lot of discussion about epinephrine levels in the body possibly triggering POIS or being involved in some way, but I found nothing about anyone taking epinephrine in an effort to reduce symptoms.
« Last Edit: 13/10/2011 17:33:46 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14778 on: 13/10/2011 19:05:34 »
Many thanks Demo for this important pledge !!! :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14779 on: 13/10/2011 20:02:02 »
You're welcome, Habibou!

Offline DrDemasi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14780 on: 14/10/2011 01:51:08 »
Hi John,  I am an Australian medical researcher turned medical journalist with ABC TV and I am doing a documentary about sex/sexual function etc.  I am interviewing Dr Waldinger in the Netherlands about POIS and would like someone to talk about their experience with the condition.  Is that something you would be interested in?  If not, do you know anyone who would be willing to be a part of our science documentary exploring the condition & treatments? Are you based in Europe?
Dr Maryanne Demasi
Producer/Reporter
ABC TV Australia

(After writing this post and registering I noticed that the forum rules specify no sexual content. I was going to stop, but I did a search and found another post about it. I hope this type of discussion won't be deemed inappropriate.)

Hi. I would like to relate my very personal story of an unusual condition that I have been plagued with. Ever since puberty I have had serious problems in the days immediately following ejaculation. My first symptom was acute back pain in the days following, at whatever age it was, perhaps around 14. After a few years it changed to an impaired cognitive condition, which I would describe as definite mental illness, in which thinking becomes very difficult, and it feels horrible in a way that can not be described. I'm sure specific neurotransmitters are depleted or something, but the cause of such a reaction is what I have never been able to understand. This has occurred following both nocturnal emissions and sexual activity. To minimize the problem I am not sexually active and try to avoid nocturnal emissions.

John 

Offline DrDemasi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14781 on: 14/10/2011 01:54:46 »
Hi,  I am an Australian medical researcher turned medical journalist with ABC TV and I am doing a documentary about sex/sexual function etc.  I am interviewing Dr Waldinger in the Netherlands about POIS and would like someone to talk about their experience with the condition.  Is that something you would be interested in?  If not, do you know anyone who would be willing to be a part of our science documentary exploring the condition & treatments? Are you based in Europe?
Dr Maryanne Demasi
Producer/Reporter
ABC TV Australia
demasi.maryanne@abc.net.au

You're welcome, Habibou!

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14782 on: 14/10/2011 02:43:34 »
I've recently been experimenting with melatonin, the chemical your brain naturally produces to help you fall asleep, and have had surprisingly good results.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Natrol-Melatonin-Fast-Dissolve-Flavor-5-Mg-Tablets-Dietary-Supplement-90-Ct/15136704

^ the product I am using

After O'ing three times the previous night, I took just one pill of melatonin and had some deeply restful sleep.  Usually I have nightmares on day 0 of POIS.  Funny my last dream I had in POIS some guy was telling me that I should O 3 times per 2 weeks.  Lol really weird.  But today I could say I really haven't been in a better mood. Very productive at work (I work saturdays, college student). 

Also, I can say that I recently took two lexapro over two days that were prescribed to me a while ago by my doctor.  All I can say is that didn't work at all and did not help sleep.  This is definitely not depression.  I thought it would help me sleep because I had good experience with nutmeg (not recommended and potentially harmful) known for it's "antidepressant" affects and help with sleep, I wouldn't be surprised if my post is edited for just bringing that up.

GoingCrazy, have you tried taking it before having an O?

Have you tried melatonin more than once?

I find it interesting, because when i'm under Pois, i lose the "sleepy feeling" i should feel at night. I mean, under Pois i always feel tired, but i don't feel that -sometimes pleasant- sleepy feeling at nights.

So, does melatonin help you to recover that feeling? Or does it just help sleeping better?

thx

Same as me.  In POIS I get an agitated all night feeling of restlessness and irritability, than usually by the next night it is gone.  My experiences with melatonin is that when I did take it in POIS, I had good results and although I wouldn't say it is the cure, it has definitely helped me.  I didn't take it last night,(I O'd yesterday) and feel a lot worse today than when I did take it.  I know the "sleepy feelings" at night you talk about, I wish I could go back to the days I didn't have this.

My stages in POIS:
1) very hyper, cannot calm down.  (sometimes I skip this phase directly into phase 2)
2) very anxious, high nervousness, terrible mood
3) headache begins in back of head
4) headache moves towards the front of head
5) POIS dissappears sometime during the night (would I dare say entirely? nope)

No success with advil, only success with nutmeg, melatonin, and caffeine.  I still am awaiting to be put on migranal, helps with these headaches after orgasm, supposedly it did last time.

I believe and I hope that POIS is a lot simpler than what we make of it, at least my pois.  Why certain things like caffeine and nutmeg help me?  Possible over-inflammation?  I hope so.  Sounds a lot better than a sperm allergy. 
« Last Edit: 14/10/2011 02:53:53 by GoingCrazy »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14783 on: 14/10/2011 05:31:27 »

Why certain things like caffeine...help me?

Caffeine and ADHD-stimulants like Ritalin help me, too. Other people here have reported adverse effects. I can't wait to get my hands on some solid NORD Research to shed more serious light on this pathetic routine of ours called POIS!

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #14784 on: 14/10/2011 06:10:48 »
Hey guys,
Im doing the best i can research wise and getting the word out there that we have a relatively unknown ilness are we arent messing around!

I just hope that by the time I have kids of my own, This ilness will be cured, I always wondered if this would affect your ability to have kids. Hm.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14785 on: 14/10/2011 16:28:11 »

I think, dear friends, POIS [is] ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK by allergic reaction to own semen. It is enough to look at symptoms - they are very similar. At us in Russia is a lot of patients POIS. Thanks for attention!

Alexander is an active participant of russian Syndrom X blog. Recently he wrote a post where he explains that there are huge similarities in symptoms of POIS and Anaphylactic Shock. He also mentions that his mother had an allergic reaction to the sperm of his father.

http://syndrom-x.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post.html

Victor

POIS being anaphylactic shock is an interesting idea. I wonder if anyone with POIS has tried epinephrine after an orgasm to see if it lessens symptoms since epinephrine is given to people in anaphylactic shock.

EDIT- I did an advanced google search for "epinephrine" in this forum and found a lot of discussion about epinephrine levels in the body possibly triggering POIS or being involved in some way, but I found nothing about anyone taking epinephrine in an effort to reduce symptoms.

When I showed this to a friend who practices pharmacology law, he said, "Epinephrine is not something that should be played with. POIS is not anaphylactic shock. Good way to [You can] precipitate a hypertensive or cardiac episode if you take epinephrine and don't need it. Anaphylactic shock is usually fatal if not treated in time. People who are allergic to bee stings carry an epi-pen around with them [epinephrine]. If they're stung and don't get treatment, they could die. If POIS was anaphylactic shock, there wouldn't be too many of you left!!! "

THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!! - demo

mod edit - bold emphases above are mine.

« Last Edit: 14/10/2011 18:32:13 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14786 on: 14/10/2011 16:48:35 »
Alexander Russian, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the file for that TV documentary, "Desperate Measures", which can be downloaded and played. The segment starts at about 12:20..
http://www.fileserve.com/file/cUtJa9R/TITLE01.mp4

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus nearly 1,500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 14/10/2011 16:52:45 by demografx »

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14787 on: 14/10/2011 17:21:11 »
I just hope that by the time I have kids of my own, This ilness will be cured, I always wondered if this would affect your ability to have kids. Hm.
Hi Itsthatskater, Just FYI, a few of us in the community have kids and POIS has not been an issue in that department.  It would be nice to do a more comprehensive survey, but the wife and I have three healthy kids and have not had problems getting pregnant (thankfully!). 

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14788 on: 14/10/2011 17:22:31 »

I think, dear friends, POIS it ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK by allergic reaction to own semen. It is enough to look at symptoms - they are very similar. At us in Russia is a lot of patients POIS. Thanks for attention!

http://syndrom-x.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post.html [nofollow]

Victor

When I showed this to a friend who practices pharmacology law, he said, "Epinephrine is not something that should be played with. POIS is not anaphylactic shock. Good way to [You can] precipitate a hypertensive or cardiac episode if you take epinephrine and don't need it. Anaphylactic shock is usually fatal if not treated in time. People who are allergic to bee stings carry an epi-pen around with them [epinephrine]. If they're stung and don't get treatment, they could die. If POIS was anaphylactic shock, there wouldn't be too many of you left!!! "

THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!! - demo

mod edit - bold emphases above are mine.

Thanks for researching this Demo!  We appreciate you looking out for the community. 

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14789 on: 14/10/2011 17:33:03 »
Demografx, thanks for a greeting and for the helpful information. I will keep you informed if there will be an advancement in treatment. One more my idea why so it is a lot of cases POIS (at your forum 10000 persons and at us not less than 100) in that as cases the ALLERGY TO A SEMEN of the concrete partner among women too are registered much enough and MY MOTHER had an allergy to a semen of my father, which was probably descended to me - with that difference that at me an allergy to my semen. Thanks for attention friends!

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14790 on: 14/10/2011 17:54:44 »
Sorry, am necessary the small explanatory: I speak about cases when women can't pregnancy because of that that at them antibodies (on allergen arriving in their organism - a semen) killing spermatozoons of the concrete partner. And pregnancy probably only with the help mechanically methods (this diagnosis was at my mother). It is all.
« Last Edit: 14/10/2011 18:00:15 by Alexander Russian »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14791 on: 14/10/2011 18:37:07 »

Demografx, thanks for a greeting and for the helpful information. I will keep you informed if there will be an advancement in treatment. One more my idea why so it is a lot of cases POIS (at your forum 10000 persons and at us not less than 100) in that as cases the ALLERGY TO A SEMEN of the concrete partner among women too are registered much enough and MY MOTHER had an allergy to a semen of my father, which was probably descended to me - with that difference that at me an allergy to my semen. Thanks for attention friends!

Welcome again, Alexander Russian!

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14792 on: 14/10/2011 21:49:15 »
Yeah Demo you're right POIS isn't anaphylactic shock. I was just tryin to to think outside the box cuz I thought perhaps POIS is a mild form of anaphylactic shock, but I was way off target. And yeah epinephrine is extremely dangerous and possibly fatal if you don't need it.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14793 on: 14/10/2011 21:52:03 »

Why certain things like caffeine...help me?

Caffeine and ADHD-stimulants like Ritalin help me, too. Other people here have reported adverse effects. I can't wait to get my hands on some solid NORD Research to shed more serious light on this pathetic routine of ours called POIS!

I actually could not fall asleep at all last night and I took some Goody's headache relief medication found at wal-mart at around 6 in the morning.  It contains caffeine and aspirin.  And what do you know I fell fast asleep and the ache in my head was gone.  I had such a good 3 hours rest after that and actually felt tired and had a pleasant dream, + the fog in my head was gone.  I might try it daily.  I think my body might actually need caffeine to function at full capacity without the aches, pain, anxiousness in my head.  That medication actually really helped my POIS.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14794 on: 14/10/2011 21:54:29 »
Hi,  I am an Australian medical researcher turned medical journalist with ABC TV and I am doing a documentary about sex/sexual function etc.  I am interviewing Dr Waldinger in the Netherlands about POIS and would like someone to talk about their experience with the condition.  Is that something you would be interested in?  If not, do you know anyone who would be willing to be a part of our science documentary exploring the condition & treatments? Are you based in Europe?
Dr Maryanne Demasi
Producer/Reporter
ABC TV Australia
demasi.maryanne@abc.net.au

Someone should definitely look into this. A documentary would help our cause enormously. When we see a new doctor we could just give them a recording of the documentary to watch if they've never heard of POIS I'm sure it'd be much easier for them than reading through the waldinger lab trials. Unfortunately I thought about it a lot and my social anxiety won't permit me to take part in one. Besides I'm not really an ordinary POIS case since I orgasm multiple times per day.

edit- also a documentary might hold a bit more weight than the tv episode Animus did on Strange Sex although I don't mean to belittle Animus's contribution in any way since it was still a huge step to get POIS on tv.
« Last Edit: 14/10/2011 21:59:48 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14795 on: 14/10/2011 21:57:01 »

daveman, nordnurse, and I have made contact, VM. Thank you!

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14796 on: 14/10/2011 22:15:58 »

I believe and I hope that POIS is a lot simpler than what we make of it, at least my pois.  Why certain things like caffeine and nutmeg help me?  Possible over-inflammation?  I hope so.  Sounds a lot better than a sperm allergy. 

I agree that inflammation probably causes most of our symptoms, however I now believe (as many of us here have) this inflammation stems from an allergic reaction to our sperm and semen. This theory makes more sense to me now that all the things that I take to reduce my POIS symptoms are well known for their anti-inflammatory properties.

I drink green tea to reduce my symptoms, but I take fenugreek with it and believe the tea merely enhances the effect of the fenugreek somehow. Perhaps some of the benefit comes from the caffeine, but I used to drink green tea by itself with almost no noticeable effect on my symptoms.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14797 on: 14/10/2011 23:21:32 »
By the way everyone, thanks to this forum I've been feeling pretty good for the past few months. And today with the help of fenugreek, saw palmetto, and a few other things I felt good enough to apply for a couple jobs for the first time since I developed POIS. I've always believed this forum would save my life and today it may have done just that. I'm still not cured, but I'm far better off than I was before. Thank you everyone.

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #14798 on: 15/10/2011 00:12:07 »
I honestly think the key to decreasing the amount of Pois or for some people getting rid of it may be O'ing more than once, It seemed to have dramatically helped me and a few other guys on here said it has helped them too.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14799 on: 15/10/2011 02:54:00 »

I agree that inflammation probably causes most of our symptoms, however I now believe (as many of us here have) this inflammation stems from an allergic reaction to our sperm and semen. This theory makes more sense to me now that all the things that I take to reduce my POIS symptoms are well known for their anti-inflammatory properties.

I drink green tea to reduce my symptoms, but I take fenugreek with it and believe the tea merely enhances the effect of the fenugreek somehow. Perhaps some of the benefit comes from the caffeine, but I used to drink green tea by itself with almost no noticeable effect on my symptoms.

Perhaps you are drinking decaffeinated green tea?  I remember drinking hot chocolate after not drinking it for a while and it had a profound affect.

I personally disagree with the sperm allergy, at least for my POIS, but everybody's entitled to their own opinion.  Just doesn't make sense how my body would be allergic to sperm after having been inside my body for years, and POIS just came in a sudden attack.

"You can see that caffeine also causes the brain's blood vessels to constrict, because it blocks adenosine's ability to open them up. This effect is why some headache medicines like Anacin contain caffeine - if you have a vascular headache, the caffeine will close down the blood vessels and relieve it."

http://www.mcvitamins.com/Health%20Opponents/caffeine.htm

-perhaps my POIS?

And I remember taking excedrin migraine that practically cured my pois, but I was very hyper, perhaps because the caffeine content was 65 mg.  Goody's powder is only 32 mg I believe.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2011 03:00:16 by GoingCrazy »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14799 on: 15/10/2011 02:54:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length