The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6448807 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14800 on: 15/10/2011 03:05:41 »
By the way everyone, thanks to this forum I've been feeling pretty good for the past few months. And today with the help of fenugreek, saw palmetto, and a few other things I felt good enough to apply for a couple jobs for the first time since I developed POIS. I've always believed this forum would save my life and today it may have done just that. I'm still not cured, but I'm far better off than I was before. Thank you everyone.

Thanks, VM. Exactly how I feel about the 2 forums as well!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14801 on: 15/10/2011 03:08:56 »

I honestly think the key to decreasing the amount of Pois or for some people getting rid of it may be O'ing more than once, It seemed to have dramatically helped me and a few other guys on here said it has helped them too.

This is NOT true for the vast majority who have reported here.

Multiple orgasm usually exacerbates POIS to an enormously painful degree of worsening symptoms.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2011 03:11:41 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14802 on: 15/10/2011 03:31:44 »
I just hope that by the time I have kids of my own, This ilness will be cured, I always wondered if this would affect your ability to have kids. Hm.

Hi Itsthatskater, Just FYI, a few of us in the community have kids and POIS has not been an issue in that department.  It would be nice to do a more comprehensive survey, but the wife and I have three healthy kids and have not had problems getting pregnant (thankfully!). 

Same here. 2 grown genius-men for sons, and they have no POIS (thankfully).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14803 on: 15/10/2011 17:50:06 »

B_Jim, excellent points raised.

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #14804 on: 15/10/2011 18:12:44 »
Why certain things like caffeine and nutmeg help me?  Possible over-inflammation?  I hope so.  Sounds a lot better than a sperm allergy.

I personally disagree with the sperm allergy, at least for my POIS, but everybody's entitled to their own opinion.  Just doesn't make sense how my body would be allergic to sperm after having been inside my body for years, and POIS just came in a sudden attack.

A friend of mine who has hay fever and did desensitization for that, told me that his hay fever started all of a sudden at about midtwenties. He went from no complaints at all to so much stuff around his eyes that he even couldn't open them in the morning and his wife had to open them with a lot of warm water.

I always thought that allergy was something terrible and could not be cured, so I always wanted this to not be an allergy, even when rumours were around, but my friend got mostly cured from hay fever and Waldinger showed this possibility for sperm allergy as well and even 2 forum members got mostly cured this way, so there is really no need to be afraid of allergy.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2011 18:43:12 by rock27 »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14805 on: 15/10/2011 21:57:23 »
POIS being anaphylactic shock is an interesting idea. I wonder if anyone with POIS has tried epinephrine after an orgasm to see if it lessens symptoms since epinephrine is given to people in anaphylactic shock.

EDIT- I did an advanced google search for "epinephrine" in this forum and found a lot of discussion about epinephrine levels in the body possibly triggering POIS or being involved in some way, but I found nothing about anyone taking epinephrine in an effort to reduce symptoms.

conterpoint has tried epinephrine and he said it dosnt work.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14806 on: 15/10/2011 22:49:27 »

Perhaps you are drinking decaffeinated green tea?  I remember drinking hot chocolate after not drinking it for a while and it had a profound affect.

I personally disagree with the sperm allergy, at least for my POIS, but everybody's entitled to their own opinion.  Just doesn't make sense how my body would be allergic to sperm after having been inside my body for years, and POIS just came in a sudden attack.

I'm sure it's not decaffeinated and I just double checked to confirm this.

About being allergic to sperm I'm sure there are many auto-immune disorders in which a body becomes allergic to something that has been present for a long time in that body.

edit- but i understand your skepticism. It took me a while to favor the auto-immune theory of POIS.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2011 22:55:35 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14807 on: 15/10/2011 23:05:19 »
I always wondered if this would affect your ability to have kids. Hm.

I just recently got my gf pregnant (unfortunately). She was on the depo provera birth control shot, but had been taking st. john's wart which probly caused the shot to lose effectiveness. I'm 23 yrs old and I've had POIS for 5 or 6 years now and she is 19 so I think it's safe to say POIS hasn't affected my fertility. Too bad I had to find out this way however. She did get an abortion if anyone cares to know.

-edit: she could have lied to me about it though since she only told me all of it after we had broken up and perhaps was using that lie to try to get me back in a relationship, but it didn't seem like a lie to me.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2011 23:11:31 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14808 on: 16/10/2011 06:01:29 »
I just hope that by the time I have kids of my own, This ilness will be cured, I always wondered if this would affect your ability to have kids. Hm.

Hi Itsthatskater, Just FYI, a few of us in the community have kids and POIS has not been an issue in that department.  It would be nice to do a more comprehensive survey, but the wife and I have three healthy kids and have not had problems getting pregnant (thankfully!). 

Same here. 2 grown genius-men for sons, and they have no POIS (thankfully).
Thanks for sharing that Demo.  Gives me a lot of peace of mind to know that it's likely not hereditary. 

Offline RemovePois

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14809 on: 16/10/2011 13:40:24 »
(1) First of all, I have POIS and my wife just became pregnant in June, so I can assure everyone that POIS doesn't affect the pregnancy. If unfortunately someone runs into pregnancy problems, it might be due to other reasons, which you must get checked.

(2) Until we get a permanent cure, here is a temporary cure for POIS. I have personally tested this and it has resolved 90% of my POIS. But follow the exact directions mentioned below, especially the timing of the medicine.
a. Take Claritin (effective for 24 hours) within 3-5 minutes of having your O and sleep for at least 3-4 hours afterwards. (If you know in advance that you will be having sex, then you can also take Claritin 15-30 minutes prior to it.) Note: It's very important to take claritin within the timeframe mentioned above and to sleep for some time.
b. Next day, take Claritin at the exact same time. (If you miss this second day, you will be miserable.) Also, note that in some cases if you feel the symptoms of POIS, you might have to take Claritin 2-3 hours early before the 24 hours complete.
c. Third day, take Claritin at the exact same time. Also, note that in some cases if you feel the symptoms of POIS, you might have to take Claritin 2-3 hours early before the 24 hours complete.

Therefore, by taking Claritin for continuous 3 days as per the timeframe mentioned above, you can significantly reduce your POIS symptoms. Try to Sleep early and for longer durations for these 3 days. I have been resolving my POIS symptoms for many years using this method. After seeing this forum today, I thought that I must share my solution with all of you. Give it a try and let me know your feedback. I hope this method will be helpful for most of you.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14811 on: 17/10/2011 00:02:12 »

a. Take Claritin (effective for 24 hours) within 3-5 minutes of having your O and sleep for at least 3-4 hours afterwards. (If you know in advance that you will be having sex, then you can also take Claritin 15-30 minutes prior to it.)

How much claritin should you take? Is one pill always 10mg?

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14812 on: 17/10/2011 02:47:20 »
welcome to our forum, Jim. Demo will soon give you a load of information to look through that summarizes a lot of the things we've achieved here.

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #14813 on: 17/10/2011 05:48:53 »
I am a 57 yo male that has just experienced a very similar episode.

My last two ejaculations created a very strange experience for me.  I became very confused and "punch drunk", similar to what has been described above.  The confusion lasted 4 to 5 hours but eventually dissipated.

The first time this happened was four weeks ago, my wife thought I was having a stroke, and rushed me to the ER in a state of mental confusion.  They kept me overnight for tests; CT, MRI, EEG and Holter Monitor.  Nothing abnormal except my BP was sky high 156/117.  I seemed to come out after 4 or 5 hours. 

I didn't connect the problem with ejaculation until it happened to me again, last weekend.  Both times was I was masterbating.  I have never experienced anything like this before.  Now I'm afraid to have intercourse with my wife and began browsing and found this.  No sure what to do next.   

Just remember that your not alone man. Some people on here have it worse than others. I think that you have it the worst and the best. Meaning you have it the worst but for only about 4-5 hours. We have not as bad but for longer periods of time. I can assure you both of them suck. And i do believe probably in 5-10 years they will make a cure or find something that will make us better each time, Until then i will continue to rehydrate myself and stuff like that. POIS can also be less affective if you are on a good diet for the record. 

My symptoms include-
Itching (immediately after)
Lack of motivation-Worst symptom 
Weakness (mentally and physically )
Brain fog (sometimes)
Soreness (sometimes)
Stuffy nose
Burning eyes

I dont know how my symptoms can help but if someone else has symptoms similar to mine i will be glad to share some keys that help me reduce the killer effects of POIS.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: 17/10/2011 06:49:29 »
Growing up I always heard about boxers or fighters abstaining from sexual activity leading up to a fight. I'm sure many athletes today still do the same. Some people laugh at that old adage but to me it was very profound.

There was the tv show i watched a couple years back called Sports Myths or something like that, and they proposed the hypothesis that after sex a boxer wouldn't be able to punch as hard.  So they took a trained boxer and had him punch a bag which measured the force of his punch.  He then had sex with his wife, not shown on camera :) ,and came back out, and he punched the bag again.   This time he punched harder.  A significant amount harder.

So the show concluded that it was a Myth, and that sex does not make you punch less hard.

That being said, perhaps if the show measured reaction time the results may have been different.  But to me, my big take-away from the show was that had I done that test, I would have punched much weaker after sex.  The boxer didn't.  Which was just more evidence to me that there was something wrong with the way I felt after sex.  (Back 2 years ago when I saw the show, I hadn't yet discovered pois)

Offline scientoast

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14815 on: 17/10/2011 20:49:20 »
Growing up I always heard about boxers or fighters abstaining from sexual activity leading up to a fight. I'm sure many athletes today still do the same. Some people laugh at that old adage but to me it was very profound.

There was the tv show i watched a couple years back called Sports Myths or something like that, and they proposed the hypothesis that after sex a boxer wouldn't be able to punch as hard.  So they took a trained boxer and had him punch a bag which measured the force of his punch.  He then had sex with his wife, not shown on camera :) ,and came back out, and he punched the bag again.   This time he punched harder.  A significant amount harder.

So the show concluded that it was a Myth, and that sex does not make you punch less hard.

That being said, perhaps if the show measured reaction time the results may have been different.  But to me, my big take-away from the show was that had I done that test, I would have punched much weaker after sex.  The boxer didn't.  Which was just more evidence to me that there was something wrong with the way I felt after sex.  (Back 2 years ago when I saw the show, I hadn't yet discovered pois)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14816 on: 17/10/2011 22:00:14 »
JimZ8532, scientoast, RemovePois, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the YouTube file for the POIS  TV documentary, "Desperate Measures":

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus nearly 1,500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 17/10/2011 22:12:41 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14817 on: 18/10/2011 00:20:21 »

There was the tv show i watched a couple years back called Sports Myths or something like that, and they proposed the hypothesis that after sex a boxer wouldn't be able to punch as hard.  So they took a trained boxer and had him punch a bag which measured the force of his punch.  He then had sex with his wife, not shown on camera :) ,and came back out, and he punched the bag again.   This time he punched harder.  A significant amount harder.

But that test definitely is not accurate because it has too many variables in it.  The boxer could've tried more or less to punch harder on the first or second punches.  I think if it came down to a miniscule amount, since our bodies "lose" something after ejaculation, the force after would be less than the force pre-ejaculatory.  For the majority of the population sex is supposed to relax you so I would also think that post-ejaculatory would be less.

(1) First of all, I have POIS and my wife just became pregnant in June, so I can assure everyone that POIS doesn't affect the pregnancy. If unfortunately someone runs into pregnancy problems, it might be due to other reasons, which you must get checked.

(2) Until we get a permanent cure, here is a temporary cure for POIS. I have personally tested this and it has resolved 90% of my POIS. But follow the exact directions mentioned below, especially the timing of the medicine.
a. Take Claritin (effective for 24 hours) within 3-5 minutes of having your O and sleep for at least 3-4 hours afterwards. (If you know in advance that you will be having sex, then you can also take Claritin 15-30 minutes prior to it.) Note: It's very important to take claritin within the timeframe mentioned above and to sleep for some time.
b. Next day, take Claritin at the exact same time. (If you miss this second day, you will be miserable.) Also, note that in some cases if you feel the symptoms of POIS, you might have to take Claritin 2-3 hours early before the 24 hours complete.
c. Third day, take Claritin at the exact same time. Also, note that in some cases if you feel the symptoms of POIS, you might have to take Claritin 2-3 hours early before the 24 hours complete.

Therefore, by taking Claritin for continuous 3 days as per the timeframe mentioned above, you can significantly reduce your POIS symptoms. Try to Sleep early and for longer durations for these 3 days. I have been resolving my POIS symptoms for many years using this method. After seeing this forum today, I thought that I must share my solution with all of you. Give it a try and let me know your feedback. I hope this method will be helpful for most of you.

Do you work for Claritin?  Haha but I remember trying it and it did create some weird affect, this might just be a method that works for you as there are other methods that work for other people.

Perhaps you are drinking decaffeinated green tea?  I remember drinking hot chocolate after not drinking it for a while and it had a profound affect.

I'm sure it's not decaffeinated and I just double checked to confirm this.

About being allergic to sperm I'm sure there are many auto-immune disorders in which a body becomes allergic to something that has been present for a long time in that body.

edit- but i understand your skepticism. It took me a while to favor the auto-immune theory of POIS.

I will NEVER convert to sperm allergy... haha.  I've done the whole sperm under tongue thing, I think I might have even ingested some sperm   [:I] to see.  Also it does not create any sort of rash on my skin.
« Last Edit: 18/10/2011 00:23:04 by GoingCrazy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14818 on: 18/10/2011 00:25:57 »
Why certain things like caffeine and nutmeg help me?  Possible over-inflammation?  I hope so.  Sounds a lot better than a sperm allergy.

A friend of mine who has hay fever and did desensitization for that, told me that his hay fever started all of a sudden at about midtwenties. He went from no complaints at all to so much stuff around his eyes that he even couldn't open them in the morning and his wife had to open them with a lot of warm water.

I always thought that allergy was something terrible and could not be cured, so I always wanted this to not be an allergy, even when rumours were around, but my friend got mostly cured from hay fever and Waldinger showed this possibility for sperm allergy as well and even 2 forum members got mostly cured this way, so there is really no need to be afraid of allergy.

I am not "afraid" of it being an allergy  :D , it just does not make any sense to me.  Why my brain would only be affected with inflammation? Idk.  I am not sneezing, having any other sort of reaction, just a bad reaction mentally.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: 18/10/2011 00:39:06 »

Yes but what could be the cause of this inflammation if not semen ?

I think the sudden attack is specific to auto-immune disorders.

1)  Possible blood pressure disorder post-orgasm (blood pressure does not fluctuate quick enough causing POIS-like feelings), post-orgasmic recovery stage - where if i break out with acne this will be the time-,  my body not being able to handle all the hormonal fluctuations after sex.  There is definitely a hormonal change post orgasm, and that may be the cause of possible migraine (for my pois) which might actually be my pois, i've been finding much relief with the caffeine/aspirin combo found in goody's headache powder  ( I take 1/2 of a dose every morning and possibly one whole dose if I am in POIS).  I remember a year ago as I was seeing my doctor and had an mri, he told my that there are many symptoms of a migraine that aren't just pain, there are all of these stages that happen.  I personally don't think "semen" can be causing such a full body reaction because there are loads of chemicals released post-orgasm, but I don't say it's not possible.  There are just too many things going on in the body after an orgasm to just say it is a semen allergy.

2)Possibly, but when I stated that I had a sudden attack, it was sort of an overall gradual "stressed out" feeling as if my brain couldn't cope normally, that got worse as time progressed.  Than it was as if a meltdown occured of stress overload or something.  So it was kind of like I "felt" it coming than all of a sudden a meltdown.  Than ever since after that I noticed post-orgasm periods were the worse.
« Last Edit: 18/10/2011 00:46:38 by GoingCrazy »

Offline jacksonsean

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14820 on: 18/10/2011 16:01:48 »
Hi,

Could as many people as possible please reply to this question:

I am interested to know how many people that are POIS suffers have had an Amalgam tooth filling? These release harmful mercury fumes which our immune system fight vigorously at all times. Perhaps after orgasm, when our immune system is weaker, these help to create the 'POIS symptoms'. Throughout my reading I have found that many people made susceptible to higher amounts of mercury experience brain fog and chronic fatigue.

Just of interest I would like to know if many of you have had these fillings and if so how many?

Thanks

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #14821 on: 18/10/2011 17:03:50 »
Hi,

I am interested to know how many people that are POIS suffers have had an Amalgam tooth filling? These release harmful mercury fumes which our immune system fight vigorously at all times. Perhaps after orgasm, when our immune system is weaker, these help to create the 'POIS symptoms'. Throughout my reading I have found that many people made susceptible to higher amounts of mercury experience brain fog and chronic fatigue.

Just of interest I would like to know if many of you have had these fillings and if so how many?

Thanks

check this out, there is already some discussion about mercury.
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=28.0

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14822 on: 18/10/2011 18:43:34 »
Hi,

Thanks

More on mercury discussions at our forum:
http://www.google.com/search?q=mercury+POIS+site:http://thenakedscientists.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #14823 on: 18/10/2011 20:18:00 »
IMPORTANT!
Potential opportunity to launch a scientific POIS study.
This is very far from a certainty right now but we could make this happen. Please respond to my post on the poiscenter forum. you can get there by clicking this link:

http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=233.0

if you haven't yet signed up to the www.poiscenter.com forum, please do so so that you can post on there. Just click 'register' in the top left hand corner

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 18/10/2011 20:29:29 by mellivora »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14824 on: 19/10/2011 17:23:15 »

Mellivora, thank you very much for this!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14824 on: 19/10/2011 17:23:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums