The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6449773 times)

Offline Shahnameh

• First timers
    • View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14850 on: 27/10/2011 01:46:02 »

New possible solution: WASH THE SEMEN OFF YOUR PENIS.

I always wipe the semen off after masturbating and I've done it in the shower a few times and rinsed it off completely after and I still get the same severity of POIS symptoms. I find it very odd that you don't get POIS from sexual intercourse and I'm not aware of any cases like that here at this forum.

edit: I see you haven't posted in a couple years so welcome back to the discussion. Are you still taking fenugreek?

Nope, not taking Fenugreek anymore. It started to be less effective as time went on. I think its efficacy might be a result of the placebo effect. I was a little annoyed since I had endorsed it so strongly here. I'm also a little concerned that my current practice of washing the semen off is also just a result of the placebo effect. That's why I was looking to see if it worked for anyone else.

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #14851 on: 27/10/2011 04:28:47 »
I take a very large dosage of niacin the morning after O'ing (3080 percent of your daily value) and i feel fantastic. Dont forget i gave the name POIS to my doctor and basically summarized our problems and told her about all of us on the forum and stuff like that. She understands it most likely is not a mental thing. And also i take flush free niacin , but i get flush like symptoms immediatley after O'ing without taking Niacin, Some weird stuff my body does.

Offline Green

• View Profile
« Reply #14852 on: 27/10/2011 19:30:46 »
Does anybody else here find the their symptoms changing over time (years I mean)? I used to get hit with instant severity - very debilitating for a few days. Now (I am 47) I can feel pretty much fine same day (just a hint of POIS), and also pretty good next day - almost enough to make me feel like I have been cured. But day 3 (right now) I have been struck down with all the usual symptoms of POIS - sweats, nausea, aching eyes, swimming headache, sense of body temperature being all over the place (but on checking it is fine) some disorientation and cognitive grind. Hell last night I was skating - today (3 days after O) I am struggling to type this.

I am at a loss on this, apart from the fact that everything seems different after a nights sleep (not sure if that is of significance), yesterday reasonable - today awful. Anybody else evolved into this delayed reaction?

POIS is very odd illness, I have also found my symptom complex varies throughout the year and times, in summer POIS is much less, winter POIS is much harder to deal with and requires much more down time.

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14853 on: 27/10/2011 19:48:28 »
Does anybody else here find the their symptoms changing over time (years I mean)? I used to get hit with instant severity - very debilitating for a few days. Now (I am 47) I can feel pretty much fine same day (just a hint of POIS), and also pretty good next day - almost enough to make me feel like I have been cured. But day 3 (right now) I have been struck down with all the usual symptoms of POIS - sweats, nausea, aching eyes, swimming headache, sense of body temperature being all over the place (but on checking it is fine) some disorientation and cognitive grind. Hell last night I was skating - today (3 days after O) I am struggling to type this.

I am at a loss on this, apart from the fact that everything seems different after a nights sleep (not sure if that is of significance), yesterday reasonable - today awful. Anybody else evolved into this delayed reaction?

POIS is very odd illness, I have also found my symptom complex varies throughout the year and times, in summer POIS is much less, winter POIS is much harder to deal with and requires much more down time.

I agree that it is very complex.  Before I knew I had POIS I kept looking at different factors.  For instance, I've moved every couple of years and every time my POIS got a lot worse for months.  In retrospect, I think it was the fact that each place has a different set of allergens and my immune system was always recalibrating.  Also noticed a correlation with stress and lack of sleep, but I personally notice no difference with respect to seasons, temperatures, or amounts of sunshine. 

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14854 on: 28/10/2011 03:21:27 »

Nope, not taking Fenugreek anymore. It started to be less effective as time went on. I think its efficacy might be a result of the placebo effect. I was a little annoyed since I had endorsed it so strongly here. I'm also a little concerned that my current practice of washing the semen off is also just a result of the placebo effect. That's why I was looking to see if it worked for anyone else.

Hmm well I've been taking fenugreek for about 3 months now and I haven't noticed any decrease in it's effect on my POIS. I do take it with garlic or tea as i find this enhances the effect. How long did you take fenugreek for before it stopped working for you? I am 100% sure it's not a placebo effect for me because my eye burning goes away almost entirely every time i take fenugreek and that is not something that can be influenced by my state of mind.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #14855 on: 28/10/2011 08:46:36 »
I take a very large dosage of niacin the morning after O'ing (3080 percent of your daily value) and i feel fantastic. Dont forget i gave the name POIS to my doctor and basically summarized our problems and told her about all of us on the forum and stuff like that. She understands it most likely is not a mental thing. And also i take flush free niacin , but i get flush like symptoms immediatley after O'ing without taking Niacin, Some weird stuff my body does.
Hi Itsthatskater,
Do you take Niacin only after O or do you take regular doses (eg. daily) anyway? You are the first person I remember reading about for whom Niacin taken AFTER O has really helped (everyone else seems to have found they only get beneficial effects if taken BEFORE O, although some find if they've taken some before then doses in the days after can help a bit if they still have symptoms..). I assume if you are taking such high doses and it is a non-flushing Niacin that it is Nicotinamide/Niacinamide that you have. Could you tell us more about your Niacin routine and what type of tablets (look on the ingredients) you have. Thanks.
And well done for talking to your doctor. Its great that she accepts the reality of the condition.

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #14856 on: 28/10/2011 12:48:30 »
Hi Itsthatskater,
Do you take Niacin only after O or do you take regular doses (eg. daily) anyway? You are the first person I remember reading about for whom Niacin taken AFTER O has really helped (everyone else seems to have found they only get beneficial effects if taken BEFORE O, although some find if they've taken some before then doses in the days after can help a bit if they still have symptoms..). I assume if you are taking such high doses and it is a non-flushing Niacin that it is Nicotinamide/Niacinamide that you have. Could you tell us more about your Niacin routine and what type of tablets (look on the ingredients) you have. Thanks.
And well done for talking to your doctor. Its great that she accepts the reality of the condition.

Actually this is Niacin as Inositol Nicotinate (400 mg)

and Inositol as Inositol Nicotinate (100 mg)

and the Niacin from the multivitamin

I woke up with my first day of POIS Today via Nocturnal Emission  and i knew from the start it was going to be terrible...and so far that is how it is.....

I had Eggwhites, Whey protein shake, Niacin, Multivitamin, and 2 advil.

Im not sure how this is going to work as i just took this less than a half hour ago but i will let you know how it works...

Right now My eyes are itching but thats about it..

And another thing I dont understand why they would take it before O...I take it after to get rid of my symptoms... And i dont see how taking niacin before could help...
« Last Edit: 28/10/2011 12:50:19 by Itsthatskater »

Offline apostate801

• View Profile
« Reply #14857 on: 29/10/2011 01:27:22 »
Hi Itsthatskater,

I've had good results taking Niacin before bed everynight for almost a month while having an O through sex 1-2 times a week.  I was close to posting my result but then masturbated 2 weeks ago and I got hit with a harsh dose of POIS so I'm not sure if it was the Niacin, O through sex or neither.  Sigh!

I've also thought of washing off my penis/skin after, usually do it in one form or another.  Doesn't get rid of it but it may help
« Last Edit: 29/10/2011 01:31:19 by apostate801 »

Offline tatvamasi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14858 on: 30/10/2011 04:03:05 »
Hi Everyone .. I cant believe it gives so much relief after hearing about this syndrome and am not the only one.. as I have been with this effect for almost 14 years now. I was constantly speaking about it even with my mom but in vain, no one or nothing solved.  I tried and try a lot of affirmation, but it wouldnt give me focus or motivation or confidence and inturn weakens my will power drastically in what I am doing. I feel like my eyes are burning after ejaculation. It takes me 5-7 days for me to get back to normal state.

With the above symptom, and I came out this morning again and went to gym immediately and ran for 1 mile . Probably because of endorphins..pois effect was not so intense. but is there.
So if anyone of you can suggest me a way or drug which helps me to get out of this mental state would be much greatful. Thanks for this forum and support each of you giving each other is awesome really feel like cure for this dire disease is in near future hopefully.....

Is there anybody who is in U.S number where I can call and discuss. I was and really desperate to share and discuss. After 14 years of confusion and suffering I found out today about this forum.

God Bless you All

I came out
« Last Edit: 30/10/2011 04:07:26 by tatvamasi »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14859 on: 30/10/2011 12:43:35 »
I feel like my eyes are burning after ejaculation. It takes me 5-7 days for me to get back to normal state.

With the above symptom, and I came out this morning again and went to gym immediately and ran for 1 mile . Probably because of endorphins..pois effect was not so intense. but is there.

welcome, tatvamasi. My eyes also burn while in POIS. I've found that fenugreek capsules taken with raw garlic or tea will relieve my burning eyes almost completely. Others in our group also take fenugreek to relieve a number of other POIS symptoms. The brands I've tried so far are Solaray and Nature's Way. Both of those brands work for me, but I believe some here have said that the Solgar brand is the best. Fenugreek helps the best if taken about an hour or 30min before having an orgasm.

Keep in mind that as with all alternative medications there may be drug interactions or other unwanted side effects so do some research before taking anything. However I've had no negative side effects from it and I've been taking it for 3 months so far. Shortly Demo will welcome you officially to the forum and give you a bunch of info to look through. I highly suggest you look through that info as it summarizes a lot of the work we've done here. I'm pretty sure you'll find something here to relieve your symptoms to at least some extent.
« Last Edit: 30/10/2011 12:52:17 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14860 on: 30/10/2011 18:56:53 »
POIS Video

h t t p : / / t i n y u r l . c o m / 3 w x 5 3 z 2

(remove spaces in the link directly above)
« Last Edit: 30/10/2011 18:58:35 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14861 on: 30/10/2011 19:01:40 »

tatvamasi, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the YouTube file for the POIS  TV documentary, "Desperate Measures":

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggests one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point out the POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:
http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/RareDiseaseList.aspx?StartsWith=P, then scroll down until you reach Postorgasmic illness syndrome. 

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus nearly 1,500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

« Last Edit: 02/11/2011 16:25:29 by demografx »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14862 on: 30/10/2011 23:39:58 »
Update on my latest experiment: Claritin

I decided to try Claritin for my POIS symptoms because a few POIS members tried it with very positive results. Since it is an anti-histamine it seems to coincide with the autoimmune theory behind POIS. I bought the generic, Loratadine, because it's cheaper.

Day Zero: Followed my usual protocol but with double the dose of fenugreek and saw palmetto and 4 thera tears omega 3 caps for a boost for my job interview which I went to at 2pm. City driving added a lot of stress to an already stressful day.
12:30am- Before going to bed I took a 10mg Loratadine pill. Didn't take my usual saw palmetto.
12:52- Had an "o" then promptly fell asleep.

Day One:
9:17am- Woke up well rested. I didn't expect to get any results the first day because I generally feel okay if I took my usual regimen of fenugreek & saw palmetto the previous day. Felt fine all day and did a fair amount of POIS research.
11:42pm- Took 1 loratadine
12:18am- had an "o" then fell asleep.

Day Two:
~9am- woke up well rested.
9:50am- Wrote in my journal: "Have a slight headache, but otherwise feel fine." The headache went away, but came back later in the day and at one point was bad enough to cause me to stop researching and just rest for a bit. I felt that the Loratadine had built up in my system too much so I decided to go a night without it. Despite the headache I had a good feeling about the Claritin(Loratadine) because normally on this day my post orgasm symptoms would begin to return, but I felt fine all day except for the headache.
~11pm- Masturbated to orgasm. Didn't take Loratadine. Went to bed, but had an additional 1 or 2 orgasms before I got to sleep.

Day Three:
8:17am- Woke up well rested and the headache was gone.
10:59am- Still felt fine. By this time my symptoms should have returned since I hadn't taken any fenugreek in more than two days so I was getting a bit excited that Claritin might be more effective than I thought.
1:22pm- Felt good enough to go outside and chop wood. I never would've been able to do this without fenugreek. Normally my joint pain would be too intense and my muscles too weak. The fact that I was able to do this provides strong evidence to me that Loratadine is effective in preventing my post orgasm symptoms and it stays in my system remaining effective for at least an additional day after taking one 10mg pill.
7:28pm- This current moment lol. Been reading up on POIS for 2 hours now and my mental energy, focus, and concentration remain strong. 

Conclusion so far: Claritin(Loratadin) reduced my symptoms by at least 50%, perhaps more, for two full days now with roughly 3 to 4 orgasms in that time. It has made me a tad drowsy and it gives me a headache if I take too much, but these side-effects are nothing compared to my usual POIS pain. I won't be able to take a Claritin every other day for the rest of my life, but I think I'll be able to switch on and off between it and my herbal supplements to help ensure my body doesn't develop a tolerance to either. I'll update on Loratadine after a longer period of testing.
« Last Edit: 31/10/2011 00:06:44 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline tatvamasi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14863 on: 31/10/2011 00:33:28 »
I feel like my eyes are burning after ejaculation. It takes me 5-7 days for me to get back to normal state.

welcome, tatvamasi. My eyes also burn while in POIS. I've found that fenugreek capsules taken with raw garlic or tea will relieve my burning eyes almost completely. Others in our group also take fenugreek to relieve a number of other POIS symptoms. The brands I've tried so far are Solaray and Nature's Way. Both of those brands work for me, but I believe some here have said that the Solgar brand is the best. Fenugreek helps the best if taken about an hour or 30min before having an orgasm.

Keep in mind that as with all alternative medications there may be drug interactions or other unwanted side effects so do some research before taking anything. However I've had no negative side effects from it and I've been taking it for 3 months so far. Shortly Demo will welcome you officially to the forum and give you a bunch of info to look through. I highly suggest you look through that info as it summarizes a lot of the work we've done here. I'm pretty sure you'll find something here to relieve your symptoms to at least some extent.

Thanks for reply ... how long have u been suffering ... can I know ur email so that I can contact you

Offline tatvamasi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14864 on: 31/10/2011 00:48:36 »
Thanks Vincent and Demografx

thank you Demografx...much appreciated.. am trying with fenugreek and garlic from tomorrow ... but I came out yesterday.. would it still help?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14865 on: 31/10/2011 01:36:47 »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14866 on: 31/10/2011 14:58:36 »
Thanks Vincent and Demografx

thank you Demografx...much appreciated.. am trying with fenugreek and garlic from tomorrow ... but I came out yesterday.. would it still help?

It does help me if I take fenugreek and garlic after an "o", but it helps me more if I take it before. I need to chew one clove of garlic raw and eat it in order to get the effect. To do this I chew it with milk to stop the burn. I did try a garlic pill a couple of times and I believe this worked as well but I don't remember what kind of garlic pill it was.

and if you have a problem with garlic then just drink some tea instead of garlic after you take the fenugreek because this works just as well for me.
« Last Edit: 31/10/2011 15:35:48 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: 31/10/2011 15:20:55 »
POIS chat on a bulletin board:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1687583/pg1

Interesting. I wrote a little post there to try to provide a better description of POIS.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: 31/10/2011 16:33:18 »

Thanks for reply ... how long have u been suffering ... can I know ur email so that I can contact you

I've had POIS for 6 years now. Just send me a private message here and I should get back to you within a day.

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #14869 on: 01/11/2011 00:08:05 »
Does anybody heard of Mabthera (rituximab)?
It improved a lot CFS symptoms and it is explained by the following link:
http://www.psychomedia.qc.ca/syndrome-de-fatigue-chronique/2011-10-20/efficacite-mabthera-rituximab-cause

It destroys B cells, antibodies...
20 th of october 2011.

Offline ophicus1213

• View Profile
« Reply #14870 on: 01/11/2011 02:26:06 »
Demo...this might be a crazy suggestion, but we have a massive sample and given the right survey and data collection techniques, we may be able to do some internal research.   Sifting through some co relational data generated from surveys could be beneficial to future research.  Has there ever been talk about putting a team together within the forum.  Are there any PhD sufferers?

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: 01/11/2011 04:14:28 »
Running a survey over here to see what you think about changing the name POIS, or at least coming up with an alternative/synonym:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=241.0 [nofollow]

Offline Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: 01/11/2011 04:17:54 »
Demo...this might be a crazy suggestion, but we have a massive sample and given the right survey and data collection techniques, we may be able to do some internal research.   Sifting through some co relational data generated from surveys could be beneficial to future research.  Has there ever been talk about putting a team together within the forum.  Are there any PhD sufferers?

Ophicus, I think that's a fantastic idea.  It looks like it will be a while before we can sponsor our own grant, but that shouldn't stop us from doing our own internal research. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14873 on: 02/11/2011 06:19:26 »
Demo...this might be a crazy suggestion, but we have a massive sample and given the right survey and data collection techniques, we may be able to do some internal research.   Sifting through some co relational data generated from surveys could be beneficial to future research.  Has there ever been talk about putting a team together within the forum.  Are there any PhD sufferers?

We have a survey database of approximately 100 POIS sufferers. A couple PhD's offered assistance but maybe the timing was earlier than the data compilation.

Send me your email and I'll send you more info about what we have compiled.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14874 on: 02/11/2011 16:50:48 »
This was just added to the Newcomer's Welcome post:

" It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point out POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:
http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/RareDiseaseList.aspx?StartsWith=P - - - scroll down until you reach Postorgasmic illness syndrome. "
« Last Edit: 02/11/2011 16:55:31 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14874 on: 02/11/2011 16:50:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length