The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6450348 times)

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #14925 on: 13/11/2011 15:15:38 »
Pharaoh raised an interesting point. In a way, high achievement and extreme focus required for demanding analytical tasks are as anomalous as POIS symptoms and both may be related to the dopamine cycle. Perhaps our return to homeostasis following orgasm is just as long as anyone else's BUT the amounts of chemicals released during orgasm are disproportionate. I'm thinking of the "orgasm cycle" described here http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cupids-poisoned-arrow/200908/orgasm-s-hidden-cycle and wondering whether we're not that different to anybody else but the peaks/troughs are great enough to lead to problematic cognitive deficits. Also, has anyone else tried piracetam? It lifts the brain fog (after a day or so) without any side effects even if I'm uncertain as to why (although the action of piracetam is uncertain in any event). Anyway, just throwing thoughts out there. Discussed this with my partner and that's a huge load of my mind!

Re. strattera and it not affecting dopamine levels. It's important to think of the whole system of chemicals here as our brains try to normalise based on whatever chemicals are present. Atomoxetine is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor so it's almost certain to have an effect on other catecholamines. They're all synthesised from tyrosine and so preventing reuptake of one can lead to an increase in another. As far as I understand it. Haven't studied much chemistry since my undergrad days :)

Check out this post. It's a bit technical, but you don't seem to have a problem with that
www.poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=197.0
Quite relevant in terms of the success of niacin.
« Last Edit: 13/11/2011 18:11:50 by daveman »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14926 on: 13/11/2011 17:38:23 »
Benadryl is great for me to force sleep/naps. The more I sleep, the more I shake off POIS .

I also find that sleep is one of the best remedies for POIS thus I always have my "o"s before going to bed or as I'm falling asleep. Sometimes I have trouble falling asleep so benadryl could possibly help me get to sleep faster as well or perhaps possibly give me better quality sleep even though I believe it's not known for that.

I learned about Benadryl in the hospital, right after my emergency quintuple coronary bypass.

It works like a charm for me, 2 years now.

Offline Pharaoh

• View Profile
« Reply #14927 on: 13/11/2011 21:09:47 »
Is nobody in the tri-state area willing to see Dr. Paduch : http://www.weillcornell.org/dpaduch/ [nofollow] 
May I remind you the email he sent me:

The problem you are facing is complex and not everyone agrees that POIS is always caused by immunological response although it is possible.
My approach is to diagnose underlying pathology using our state of the art imaging and decide on improving your treatment.
Unfortunately I don't do email consults
We will be happy to see you for consultation and ultrasonographic evaluation which may include orgasmic ejaculatory study and transrectal ultrasound of prostate with full hormonal evaluation.
Please contact my office to schedule appointment if you wish to see me. My office number is: 212-746-5309

Darius A. Paduch, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Urology and Reproductive Medicine
Associate Director of Male Infertility Fellowship
Male Infertility Genetics Laboratory of Weill Cornell Medical College
Office: 212-746-5309
Fax: 212-746-7287

Unfortunately he doesn't accept my insurance, so I have to wait till the summer to switch.  This guy seems to know what he's talking about and he's affiliated with a top research medical school. 

Offline Pharaoh

• View Profile
« Reply #14928 on: 13/11/2011 22:03:13 »

What we have is Anaphylaxis...

Everyone on this forum is engaged in speculation.  Theories range from ADD to some virus, and even metaphysical causes.  Non of us are physicians or have the training to speak intelligently on the mechanisms involved.  But, we have every right to discuss our symptoms and speculate on what we believe is triggering this given that we are constantly experimenting with different substances in the hope of finding relief.  My postion on Anaphylaxis is that we have a serious auto-immune reaction, more severe than the typical case of Hay's fever, and less than an extreme case of Anaphylaxis.  I believe much of the cognitive problems result not only from the allergic response, but because when the allergic response kicks in, our neurochemical conditions are unique to the orgasmic condition.  This "interaction" of sort may be an area of interest to explore.  Imagine one having sex and as they  begin to orgasm and ejaculate sperm, they stung by a bee.  If this individual has a severe allergy to bee venom (not enough to cause Aanphylaxis) then would they suffer brain fog and social anxiety for days afterwards?  In other words, can we separate the allergy from the neurological symptoms given the mind-altering condition triggered by orgasm? 

No! What evidence do you have for this?

edit - There are 1,500 U.S. deaths yearly from Anaphylaxis.
            Source: National Center for Health Statistics

Pharaoh, you have not responded to my question above.

I now ask that you delete your extremely inaccurate statement about POIS and anaphylaxis from your post.

Thank you for cooperating.

Offline Enos

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14929 on: 13/11/2011 23:29:56 »
Hello,

I've suffered from quite debilitating symptoms after orgasm for as long as I can remember. However I've always assumed that my symptoms were just abnormally severe versions of what everyone experiences after orgasm, and that I was merely at one extreme of a continuous spectrum that comprised all people. Therefore, I had no more hope of relieving symptoms than a normal person would have of abolishing the refractory period or dopamine crash.

Based on what I've read so far, I still think this way, in my case. However, discovering this forum gave me the hope of discovering new ways to mitigate my problem.

I have many of the mental symptoms described here, including some of the weird peculiarities, and none of the physical ones. I should say however that I also experience some symptoms that are excluded from the definition on the poiswebsite. The latter writes:
"However, motor control is not significantly affected by POIS as people can still perform tasks requiring high dexterity and agility (i.e. playing piano)."

I have obvious motor issues after orgasm that in some periods were very strong. A few years ago when I used to have them more frequently they struck me as resembling Parkinsonian symptoms. Decreased balance, rigid body, slouched posture, drooping facial expression, weak voice, poor articulation of words, an obvious deterioration of handwriting, hypoosmia, decreased energy and stamina.

As this post-orgasmic crash subsides, over 3-5 days, the change back to normality is profound. I feel like turning from a sloth to a panther. My coordination, fine motor control, reflexes, balance, vocal articulation change from those of an old man to what is normal for a 27 year old who exercises daily. My movement becomes fluid and precise, the patterns of movement that I use instinctively also change. I think this is important to specify in order to show that I have no baseline deficit in any motor function.

I also think it useful to mention that these symptoms are in no way progressing. I've had them at about constant intensity since I was in my teens until a few years ago, when I improved my diet, started exercising regularly and curtailed alcohol consumption, where-after they improved to the point of being annoying but not debilitating.

Another peculiarity is that two or three beers have always been a perfect and instant cure for my mental as well as physical symptoms. After drinking alcohol, I usually have a profoundly refreshing and restful sleep, with vivid and often erotic dreams, waking horny in the middle of the night. The following morning I often wake up as if I had not orgasmed, and my libido is also reset to pre-orgasm levels, as if the intoxication resets the refractory period cycle. This cure that is not sustainable though, as it only works if I limit myself to using it twice a week at most.

My reaction to alcohol further strengthened my (superficially documented, layman) belief that my problem is an inordinately severe dopamine crash, or possibly an issue related to neurosteroids. The latter presumption seems related to the fact that using supplements with 5-alpha-reductase inhibitory activity like Borage or fish oil attenuates the effects of alcohol in me and this attenuation is dose dependent.

Another strange observation is that when I am in the depressed post-orgasm state I almost always faint when I get blood taken. When I am not, I almost never do.

These are just the symptoms that I have and that I could not find described on the poiswebsite. Other than this, I have most of the mental symptoms described.

Now, I want to try some of the remedies proposed here and see whether they do anything for me.
From what I've gathered from this forum, it seems that different people may have different etiologies for their problem. Based on my individual symptoms, is there a particular avenue you think I should pursue for improvement?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 14/11/2011 13:42:34 by Enos »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14930 on: 13/11/2011 23:46:06 »

Enos, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the YouTube file for the POIS  TV documentary, "Desperate Measures":

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggest one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point out the POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:
http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/RareDiseaseList.aspx?StartsWith=P, then scroll down until you reach Postorgasmic illness syndrome. 

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus nearly 1,500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline Pharaoh

• View Profile
« Reply #14931 on: 14/11/2011 00:55:27 »

It's clear this is a severe auto-immune disorder.

Pharaoh, I insist that you stop immediately with your totally unfounded statements!

This is a warning.

How is that possibly totally unfounded when it is currently the only acceptable theory in the academic literature?  Was it not Dr. Waldinger who coined the term POIS and hypothesized that it is an auto-immune disorder?  Was his work not published in the elite Journal of Sexual Medicine?  Didn't Dr. Paduch of Cornell also confirm that it is currently the prevailing theory? 

Regarding the anaphylaxis, I've deleted that, but I must say, I'm surprised at how this forum has become censored.  The only "accurate" statements that can be made must be taken directly from Waldinger or any  other scholarly research paper.  Which, again is exactly what I did when I specified POIS as an auto-immune disorder.  It's the equivalent of being threatened for mentioned that influenze is caused by a virus. 

So, who's going to visit Paduch?  I'll see what I can get out of the allergist.  Btw, Lorazepam definitely helps.  It's an anti-anxiety helps calm you down and deal wit the social anxiety.  I was just hitting on a girl in the smoothie shop.  I would never have been able to do that during day 2 of POIS.  The issue is, that I can't drive while on this stuff.  In the past month I think I've introduced POIS to at least 12 doctors and 5 nurses.  Part of the problem were facing is that if  a doctor isn't familiar with a disorder, they have trouble accepting its existence.  And they most definitely wil not attempt to treat it.  We have to keep fighting guys, any progress is good progress.  Good luck.

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #14932 on: 14/11/2011 06:16:16 »
I know exactly what you're going through.  I was taking university courses in mathematics in the summer as a 6th grader.  I could sleep through classes and still manage an A.  Then in high school things started to change.   In university, it was disastrous.  Now that I'm a doctoral student, it's extremely difficult, but I still manage.  The exams are toughest.  To concentrate for that length of time and retain the information I've read is near impossible.  I find that people believe I'm incompetent because I'm unable to communicate, but then are baffled when my work is superior.  No doubt this illness has had an immeasurably debilitating effect on my life.  It's a curse. 

I second all that.  I'm at a top business school in the country because I dominated the first half of the gmat.  I say only the first half, because the extreme concentration that a test that like required, drained me so badly that by the second half of the test I could hardly think.  Damn pois.  Still, I managed to do very well overall.  Now I'm in school, and when the professor calls on me to summarize a chapter, my answer sounds so poor that everyone thinks I skimmed the chapter for 2 mins before walking in the door - when really I spent an hour reading it.  Presenting is the worst for me.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14933 on: 14/11/2011 09:44:40 »

I know exactly what you're going through.  I was taking university courses in mathematics in the summer as a 6th grader.  I could sleep through classes and still manage an A.  Then in high school things started to change.   In university, it was disastrous.  Now that I'm a doctoral student, it's extremely difficult, but I still manage.  The exams are toughest.  To concentrate for that length of time and retain the information I've read is near impossible.  I find that people believe I'm incompetent because I'm unable to communicate, but then are baffled when my work is superior.  No doubt this illness has had an immeasurably debilitating effect on my life.  It's a curse. 

I second all that.  I'm at a top business school in the country because I dominated the first half of the gmat.  I say only the first half, because the extreme concentration that a test that like required, drained me so badly that by the second half of the test I could hardly think.  Damn pois.  Still, I managed to do very well overall.  Now I'm in school, and when the professor calls on me to summarize a chapter, my answer sounds so poor that everyone thinks I skimmed the chapter for 2 mins before walking in the door - when really I spent an hour reading it.  Presenting is the worst for me.

The word "CRUEL" often comes to mind when thinking of POIS.

You remind me of the horrid time when I gave a speech in NY and I was jet-lagged and stupefied by the POIS after-effects of an early morning NE.

I am absolutely certain that my speech made no sense whatsoever.

That POIS Nightmare is an example of what I deem "CRUEL" because........... the NE was so innocuous and non-deliberate and yet still caused Total Chaos!

I'm sure some readers can identify.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2011 09:47:59 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14934 on: 14/11/2011 12:59:25 »
Enos, youu say,

"However I've always assumed that my symptoms were just abnormally severe versions of what everyone experiences after orgasm, and that I was merely at one extreme of a continuous spectrum that comprised all people.[\i]"

My POIS has only been for the last 10 years or so, so I know what normal feels like, and I can assure you, that even the extreme end of the normal continuum, doesn't match POIS on a good day.

I don't mean this as a negative or boastful comment, but one that can give hope for a new future.

I just started with niacin, see http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0 on our sister forum. I am now reminded of how good, normal sex can be.

Niacin isn't a cure, but it can sure make the trip to a solution for this nightmare, easier.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14935 on: 14/11/2011 13:19:06 »

It's clear this is a severe auto-immune disorder.

Pharaoh, I insist that you stop immediately with your totally unfounded statements!

This is a warning.

How is that possibly totally unfounded when it is currently the only acceptable theory in the academic literature?  Was it not Dr. Waldinger who coined the term POIS and hypothesized that it is an auto-immune disorder?  Was his work not published in the elite Journal of Sexual Medicine?  Didn't Dr. Paduch of Cornell also confirm that it is currently the prevailing theory? 

Regarding the anaphylaxis, I've deleted that, but I must say, I'm surprised at how this forum has become censored.  The only "accurate" statements that can be made must be taken directly from Waldinger or any  other scholarly research paper.  Which, again is exactly what I did when I specified POIS as an auto-immune disorder.  It's the equivalent of being threatened for mentioned that influenze is caused by a virus. 

So, who's going to visit Paduch?  I'll see what I can get out of the allergist.  Btw, Lorazepam definitely helps.  It's an anti-anxiety helps calm you down and deal wit the social anxiety.  I was just hitting on a girl in the smoothie shop.  I would never have been able to do that during day 2 of POIS.  The issue is, that I can't drive while on this stuff.  In the past month I think I've introduced POIS to at least 12 doctors and 5 nurses.  Part of the problem were facing is that if  a doctor isn't familiar with a disorder, they have trouble accepting its existence.  And they most definitely wil not attempt to treat it.  We have to keep fighting guys, any progress is good progress.  Good luck.

Pharoah,

The number of "experts on POIS" can probably be counted on two hands, if not one, AND, among those, I think we might have to agree that the majority see POIS as some sort of auto-immune reaction.

The problem is though, that none of them have done enough serious investigation to actually definitively prove anything (not even Dr. Waldinger), so as such it is very dificult to say anything is "certainly the cause".

This forum has been running for more than 4 years. And there is just about nothing that hasn't been unturned or evaluated. In that time we have gone down very many dead end streets, and unfortunatley we continue to turn over ar re-turn over many of the same.

Nobody wants to censor. But if we were really serious about solving POIS for once and for all, we would resolve this doubt, this unknown. We've already gone to doctor after doctor, each one with his promise of help. Some have helped a bit, others nothing more than lead us up another river.

Dr. Pudoch seems to have a good approach, seems to be open, but.... so have many others.

What I don't understand is, if we are so set in reolving this problems, why can't we see that we just keep spinning our wheels, like a dog chasing it's tail.

What is the big resistance to puting tegether the money and/or resources to initiate a true and proper research program?

By the time we piddle away our efforts and money in looking over here andtrying this and trying that, we could have paid for it to be done properly.

Demo is frustrated! He's been at this for 4 1/2 very long and hard years. And the fact that this forum still exists is for his force and effort alone. We all contribute our ideas, but nobody else has put the time and dedication to this forum as he has.

So please.....

Let's see how we can focus on some REAL advancement. the hard way, digging in and donating to the most worthy cause that we have. Before we piddle it all away on who knows what!

Offline Mutant Man

• View Profile
« Reply #14936 on: 14/11/2011 13:32:00 »
I vehemently attempt to abstain from sexual encounters, I have given up any form of digital, sex encouraging videos and images. I have avoided masturbation for more or less a month, but the inevitable nocturnal emissions are relentlessly persisting. I just had one this morning, after about six days of celibate abstinence. This untimely occurrence has left my newly developed bubble of hope mercilessly punctured. I feel deflated, drained and torn. Is this some divine punishment for my past mistake of caving into masturbation from the very start?  Honestly, sometimes, I just feel like to end it all.... I feel like pulling the chord on my own survival. This is a nightmare

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14937 on: 14/11/2011 14:35:38 »
I vehemently attempt to abstain from sexual encounters, I have given up any form of digital, sex encouraging videos and images. I have avoided masturbation for more or less a month, but the inevitable nocturnal emissions are relentlessly persisting. I just had one this morning, after about six days of celibate abstinence. This untimely occurrence has left my newly developed bubble of hope mercilessly punctured. I feel deflated, drained and torn. Is this some divine punishment for my past mistake of caving into masturbation from the very start?  Honestly, sometimes, I just feel like to end it all.... I feel like pulling the chord on my own survival. This is a nightmare

Hi mutantman

We have had quite a good deal of success with Niacin to reduce POIS symtoms in many of us to 20% of a typical session. I just started, and my first attempt reduced my symptoms to 20% and on top of that only lasted half a day!!!!

There's a thread over at our other forum, please read it for procedures, results and doses.
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0

First of all with niacin, it's possible that you won;t have to abstain so much and the possibliity of N/Es will be a lot lower.

But even if not, you could probably take niacin at 4 AM (worth waking up) and be protected if an N/E should occur. Once you have an orgasm or N/E, you could probably stop the niacin for 3 or 4 days and then start again as a preventitive measure as your libido increases again.

But check out the thread first, and see if it might work for you.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14938 on: 14/11/2011 16:37:49 »

Honestly, sometimes, I just feel like to end it all.... I feel like pulling the chord on my own survival. This is a nightmare.

Mutant Man , POIS  _ WILL_  be destroyed here , I am certain. So please hang in there!!

Suicidal ideation? For you or anyone else!

Call 888.SUICIDE                      USA
(888.784.2433)

*****or*****

Call or email them:
www.samaritans.org                             Outside USA

YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM IS ANOTHER WAY TO START GETTING HELP.

« Last Edit: 15/11/2011 02:11:12 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14939 on: 14/11/2011 16:43:27 »
A french article about Pois.
Funny pics :

( " With his allergy, we will come out less often : we will take a rest! ""

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #14940 on: 14/11/2011 18:55:23 »
is it sperm, or is it seminal fluid? sperm dont mean !#$!%! to me. its the seminal fluid that induces the hell.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #14941 on: 14/11/2011 23:17:39 »
Hi Mutant Man, if this was a divine punishment for masturbation then it would be afflicting a lot of men and women. But it's not. Feeling sexual urges are about the most natural thing we experience in this crazy modern world. I'd say try supplementation with niacin etc. and see what difference it makes.
I know that when I'm down I take L-tyrosine and it gives me a lift. I also take a combination of zinc, magnesium and b6 at night which helps me have more restful sleep. Maybe that would work for you. For whatever reason I rarely have NE's anymore.

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #14942 on: 14/11/2011 23:19:19 »
I'm 20, currently playing lower division professional Soccer in Europe and my POIS case has made me miserable in life and what I love to do: playing Soccer.

Bastian,
amazing you're playing professional soccer! When I look at your symptoms it reminds me of my early (10 years) of POIS.  I also recognise the thirst. I also researched low testosterone, but in my case, I could only find a temporary low. My case seems so be allergy. In allergy the body also can ask (not all cases) for water, cos it wants to dilute the affected areas. In my case, I was not holding on to it either, so disturbing electrolyte balance in the blood and I had to drink salt water too to prevent feeling dizzy. Since I use antihistamines I no longer have hunger attacks either. The sweating and the low energy and the disability to think: same to me. Good luck in your research! Please look at immunization when you decide it's allergy.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2011 23:25:03 by rock27 »

Offline Green

• View Profile
« Reply #14943 on: 14/11/2011 23:58:56 »
Hi guys,

I hope things are going well your way and I hope you're finding your path to eradicate POIS from your lives!

I recently found an Audio book by Dr. John Sarno called 'The divided mind'. It talks at great length about how hidden issues in our mind, which we are not fully able to expose consciously, cause a plethora of symptoms and malaise. I found a lot of what he talks about is prevalent in my life. There are patients who experience a whole range of symptoms, who like us, have tiresomely gone down the conventional diagnostical route to find the genesis of their symptoms to no avail, but with psychotherapy, with the aim of finding deep hidden issues, like we all have, they found their symptoms disappear.

I am working with a Liaison Psychiatrist here in the UK, who has worked with Olympic athletes with debilitating sets of symptoms like ours, couldn't find a medical diagnosis for it, through intense psychotherapy and empowerment of knowledge their symptom complex is significantly reduced to the point where they are able to function more consistently as members of society. I know we refute a psychosomatic etology for POIS, I too, still am sceptical, but I am relishing the opportunity of working with someone who is taking an interest on POIS other than Dr. Goldmeier, who from the impression I get from talking with him is not all too convinced by the auto immune theory.

Please PM for a link to the copy. I really hope you find the audio book insightful and please let me know your comments!

With kindest regards,
Green
« Last Edit: 15/11/2011 00:00:42 by Green »

Offline Itsthatskater

• View Profile
« Reply #14944 on: 15/11/2011 01:57:52 »
Well I just had an o about ten minutes ago but id figure maybe it will help to tell you guys how im doing at the moment.

So far My sinuses cleared themselves up

I feel like I can think much better and concentrate

I feel just as strong as i did before O

I dont have the itch to O anymore.

Slightly itchy eyes.

Basically it makes me feel like it is allergy related considering the symptoms dont come right away.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14945 on: 15/11/2011 04:08:44 »
Wibin, was social anxiety one of your original POIS symptoms and did strattera eliminate this anxiety?

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14946 on: 15/11/2011 04:26:54 »

We may have any one of those potentially exagerated by POIS, or in some cases some have had one of those other things and thought they had POIS, but this forum is for POIS.

I'm curious Daveman, in light of the fact that Claritin relieves more than 50% of my total POIS symptoms would you say that I have POIS and not sexual exhaustion - despite my daily "o" frequency? I've read the sexual exhaustion forum and most of them have low sex drive and erectile dysfunction as their main symptoms and this certainly doesn't describe my symptoms.

Offline Vincent M

• View Profile
« Reply #14947 on: 15/11/2011 05:04:24 »
I found a lot of what he talks about is prevalent in my life.

Everyone has hidden issues in the back of their mind...sounds like a scam to me. I'm not saying that addressing these issues won't make you feel better mentally and perhaps physically as well, but addressing hidden mental issues will not cure POIS. That would be like curing AIDS or cancer with hypnosis.

There are patients who experience a whole range of symptoms, who like us, have tiresomely gone down the conventional diagnostical route to find the genesis of their symptoms to no avail...

whoa now many of us have reduced our symptoms vastly using this "conventional diagnostical route". Don't discount our successes please. edit- unless you were referring to the ignorance of M.D.s. towards our condition. It just seemed to me you were talking about treating our condition with various medications based on researching our symptoms.
« Last Edit: 15/11/2011 05:10:53 by Vincent Marcus »

Offline Shahnameh

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14948 on: 15/11/2011 05:58:23 »
Does anyone get red bumps on their glans immediately after ejaculating?

I've noticed that I do. They're small red bumps centered around the opening (meatus). They are most concentrated near the opening, but they pop up farther down the glans, too. They stay on my glans about as long as I experience my brain fog, then they disappear. I'm wondering if these red bumps are connected with the POIS. Red bumps centered around the meatus, where the semen comes out, definitely sound like an allergic reaction. Anyone else?

Offline Mutant Man

• View Profile
« Reply #14949 on: 15/11/2011 06:56:30 »
Hi Mutant Man, if this was a divine punishment for masturbation then it would be afflicting a lot of men and women. But it's not. Feeling sexual urges are about the most natural thing we experience in this crazy modern world. I'd say try supplementation with niacin etc. and see what difference it makes.
I know that when I'm down I take L-tyrosine and it gives me a lift. I also take a combination of zinc, magnesium and b6 at night which helps me have more restful sleep. Maybe that would work for you. For whatever reason I rarely have NE's anymore.
Thanks Kurtosis, niacin was earlier suggested by a forum member yesterday, after my post. I have since started on a therapy of Wellman supplements. I do not know if this is a step too far but as I understand, it does contain a cocktail of all or almost all the vitamins you mentioned here. Hope this will be any help? Thanks.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14949 on: 15/11/2011 06:56:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums