The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6428838 times)

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #15000 on: 23/11/2011 15:51:36 »
Hey!
Read about Temporal Arteritis
http://health.bettermedicine.com/article/temporal-arteritis
List of symptoms (giant-cell arteritis):
bruits
fever
headache[4]
tenderness and sensitivity on the scalp
jaw claudication (pain in jaw when chewing)
tongue claudication (pain in tongue when chewing) and necrosis[5][6]
reduced visual acuity (blurred vision)
acute visual loss (sudden blindness)
diplopia (double vision)
acute tinnitus (ringing in the ears)

I think, this is it.
It fits both Waldinger's autoimmune theory and Niacin's efficiency.

Upd: xantinol nicotinate is prescribed for arteritis!
Please answer, anyone.
If you think that it's complete nonsense that is not worth considering, then why so? What's wrong with this hypothesis?

Although some people have talked about eye pain and headaches, those symptoms don't apply to me personally.  Plus, the other symptoms don't apply well to me either.  So I don't think it relates so closely to pois, but others may think differently
« Last Edit: 24/11/2011 07:00:57 by B_Daniel »

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15001 on: 23/11/2011 15:53:56 »
I wonder if someone has taken Nimodipine (marketed by Bayer as Nimotop)-remedies against vasoconstriction- . I think this is very interesting. If i have an orgasm -back in time, without taking niacin- i do not get brain frog from the first second, but definitely i can feel that something not good is going on on my head. Itīs feel like an increase of pressure on my brain by moments, and this will lead to  POIS symptoms in few minutes. If i take niacin this feeling mostly subsides.

I did a forum search for Nimodipine and got nothing.  Sounds interesting, but I know nothing about it.
« Last Edit: 24/11/2011 06:55:57 by B_Daniel »

Offline alphaq

• View Profile
« Reply #15002 on: 24/11/2011 04:32:23 »
I'd be interested in hearing about the time length and characteristics of everyone's recovery period. In particular, it would be interesting to hear the mental and cognitive changes involved.

For my mental and cognitive symptoms after an O(approximate):

30s - dazed, empty-headed feeling
1 min - start to feel increase of pressure in the head
5 min - can tell that cognitive state has been worsened by the O
Next day morning - usually not that bad
2nd day daytime - brain fog, some speech difficulties
3-4 days later - usually the worst time for cognitive symptoms
6-7 days - speech and thinking gets better, feel changes inside head, less pressure and more blood flow, also get this feeling as if more parts of the brain were getting activated and connected
9-10 days - will continue to get better, but not by much
14 days - should be pretty much be resolved

Offline gabin

• View Profile
« Reply #15003 on: 24/11/2011 09:02:27 »
I have just found articles about "burning semen syndrome" (Gulf War syndrome). I don't know if it's serious.

edit : Yes it is ! And it looks like Pois.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12517652 [nofollow]

I can't believe dr. Waldinger didn't see it ?!
I don't think this syndrome has been suggered when Pois has been "revealed" to the world in January.
Seems like Waldinger tried to 'adopt' our case to this one (burning semen syndrome) and mislead us into a fundamentally wrong direction.
I don't want to sound offensive, but it's just incomprehensible for me, how a man can have an allergy for his own fluid (not separate component or agent of it, but the whole compound). It's kinda being allergic to saliva or gastric juice.. And this allergy is 'launched' solely at the moment it's exposed into urine tract..Senseless to me
One more mismatch for me: several times I had episodes of syndrome without any physical stimulation, just from thinking about smth arousing, without actual arousal (hope someone can understand). It's just like when you think about a stressful situation you have an adrenaline release and consequently rapid heartbeat and increase in blood pressure. But you are not actually in this situation at the moment. I think the same 'stressful situation' for us is O, may be we subconsciously respond to arousal.
« Last Edit: 24/11/2011 10:23:54 by gabin »

Offline gabin

• View Profile
« Reply #15004 on: 24/11/2011 11:07:45 »
I wonder if someone has taken Nimodipine (marketed by Bayer as Nimotop)-remedies against vasoconstriction- . I think this is very interesting. If i have an orgasm -back in time, without taking niacin- i do not get brain frog from the first second, but definitely i can feel that something not good is going on on my head. Itīs feel like an increase of pressure on my brain by moments, and this will lead to  POIS symptoms in few minutes. If i take niacin this feeling mostly subsides.

I did a forum search for Nimodipine and got nothing.  Sounds interesting, but I know nothing about it.
I bought verapamil (it's also used for Reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome) yesterday and started taking it today. I'll post back about the effect.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #15005 on: 24/11/2011 11:31:50 »
I'd be interested in hearing about the time length and characteristics of everyone's recovery period. In particular, it would be interesting to hear the mental and cognitive changes involved.

For my mental and cognitive symptoms after an O(approximate):

30s - dazed, empty-headed feeling
1 min - start to feel increase of pressure in the head
5 min - can tell that cognitive state has been worsened by the O
Next day morning - usually not that bad
2nd day daytime - brain fog, some speech difficulties
3-4 days later - usually the worst time for cognitive symptoms
6-7 days - speech and thinking gets better, feel changes inside head, less pressure and more blood flow, also get this feeling as if more parts of the brain were getting activated and connected
9-10 days - will continue to get better, but not by much
14 days - should be pretty much be resolved

It was always difficult to tell the exact moment that it started. After sex I think everyone feels different to an extent, as the surge of dopamine and whatever else makes us feel good and peaceful.   For me it was always the next day that I notice that for sure there is something different and it goes downhill: very difficult for around a week and then tapers off but would sometimes end with a burnt out phase. The total length would then average one - two weeks.

I have perked up at the mentioning of head pressure that some here feel they might be experiencing. I can relate to this and have often thought that my POIS felt like this, like an odd head-in-a-vise feeling. As I have experienced symptoms that could be caused by increased intercranial hypertension this seems possible; double vision, pulsatile tinnitus, insomnia.  It seems that the only way to diagnose such a condition would be through a spinal tap. I think we would have a challenge convincing a doctor to perform that procedure based on our symptoms, it would be too outside their box. This week I have started eating foods that have diuretic properties to see if this might help, while also watching my sodium consumption.  So far it actually seems that I feel better, but I am not ruling out placebo. I'll keep ya's posted. If it helps me significantly something else to try might be pharmaceutical diuretics.

PS As diuretics I'm eating dandelion greens and asparagus daily. I also tried dandelion supplements but didn't seems to have much effect from them, maybe I wasn't taking enough though.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15006 on: 24/11/2011 16:49:21 »
gdelite, and observercenter, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Forum - architectural genius: "daveman" - for detailed subject-by-subject discussion!
http://www.POISCenter.com/forums/index.php
Our 4-year-old POIS thread here at Naked Science Forum will also always remain open for newcomers, for general unstructured discussion, and historical research of the 10,000+ postings here since 2007.

The Learning Channel's (TLC)  feature TV presentation on POIS, featuring our member here at this forum, "Animus". It was aired on May 22, 2011. Here is a link to the YouTube file for the POIS  TV documentary, "Desperate Measures":

Our POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

The POIS Information Website is home to the famous POIS Forum Compendium, written by "Pyropeach", and contains theories already discussed here and treatments that have both worked and failed.

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome "POIS": Case report

Authors:
Abdalla M Attia*, Magda H Al-Ziny, Hossam A Yasien
*Corresponding author: Andrology Unit, Minoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Eygpt

For more info, check out emi_b's  SMF POIS thread:
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0;topicseen

Available Upon Request:

1. and 2. POIS Research Studies, 2011

These 2 papers reveal Dr. Waldinger's POIS autoimmune hypothesis and suggest one possible avenue of treatment.

3. First POIS Research Study, 2002

We have a copy of the first formal medical investigation on POIS by Prof. dr. Marcel D. Waldinger,MD,PhD, and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

4. Recent POIS Research Study, 2010

CASE REPORT
Postorgasm Illness Syndrome - A Spectrum of Illnesses
Jane Ashby, MRCP, and David Goldmeier, MRCP
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg316781#msg316781

5. British Medical Journal Case Report, 2010

Case study by Dr. Selwyn Dexter of a patient with a headache-featured POIS symptom treated with progesterone/norethisterone.
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.short?rss=1

How to get any or all of the above 5 studies: send me or "daveman" a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and we'll send you back the PDF(s).

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, i.e., "demografx", or "daveman".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN OUR HEADS'! "

It can be very  helpful to you when dealing with medical professionals to point out the POIS' official listing, as recognized by the
National Institutes for Health (NIH), Office of Rare Diseases Research
:
http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/RareDiseaseList.aspx?StartsWith=P, then scroll down until you reach Postorgasmic illness syndrome. 

POIS also appears in credible medical sources such as the Journal of Sexual Medicine (Dr. Waldinger's study), British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For over 4 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 200 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, research on an additional 200 sufferers elsewhere on the internet, plus nearly 1,500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: more than 4 years' worth of posts (over  10,000 posts!) from 200+ Forum members, and an additional 200 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
nocturnal emission POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 740 results came up for "nocturnal emission" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.
« Last Edit: 24/11/2011 16:55:54 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15007 on: 24/11/2011 16:52:06 »
I have just found articles about "burning semen syndrome" (Gulf War syndrome). I don't know if it's serious.

edit : Yes it is ! And it looks like Pois.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12517652

I can't believe dr. Waldinger didn't see it ?!
I don't think this syndrome has been suggered when Pois has been "revealed" to the world in January.

Great find, B_Jim!!

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #15008 on: 25/11/2011 05:00:52 »
lol again, not having orgasmed it about a week and a half I feel angry like I need to do it, i need to release.  Does anybody take anything to get rid of this frustration caused by not "o'ing"?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15009 on: 25/11/2011 06:23:53 »
Orgasm and gabapentin

Science Daily
June 3, 2011
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110603102748.htm

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15010 on: 25/11/2011 08:38:31 »
Very interesting Demo ! It would be great to understand how it works and take it until we have a permanent solution... Let s hope it could work for some of us to avoid an unfortunate serious session.

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15011 on: 25/11/2011 08:48:06 »
Here is a new poll I created about Vitamin D level :
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=257.0

If you have checked it, please answer it  :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15013 on: 25/11/2011 09:37:17 »

Very interesting Demo ! It would be great to understand how [gabapentin] works and take it until we have a permanent solution... Let s hope it could work for some of us to avoid an unfortunate serious session.

Thanks, Habibou! But - as I'm sure you are well aware - we must work very carefully under a qualified physician's care and monitoring when trying any serious medication such as this.
« Last Edit: 25/11/2011 09:46:52 by demografx »

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15014 on: 25/11/2011 09:52:55 »
Of course Demo !  :) First we have to understand how it locks the O, by talking about it with a GP at least.
It was just a way to say : new investigations possible !

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #15015 on: 25/11/2011 10:17:46 »

Very interesting Demo ! It would be great to understand how [gabapentin] works and take it until we have a permanent solution... Let s hope it could work for some of us to avoid an unfortunate serious session.

Thanks, Habibou! But - as I'm sure you are well aware - we must work very carefully under a qualified physician's care and monitoring when trying any serious medication such as this.

Maybe they become uable to reach climax, which would be most frustrating. If so maybe a low dose could be used for PE.

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15016 on: 25/11/2011 17:19:56 »
lol again, not having orgasmed it about a week and a half I feel angry like I need to do it, i need to release.  Does anybody take anything to get rid of this frustration caused by not "o'ing"?
Haven't had one in just over 3 weeks. Once went several months. The first few weeks were hell but after that it became ok. Rather than considering the frustration, I try to think about how unproductive and utterly useless I'll be for at least a week after the O. But it's more than that tbh. Whatever is going on, it feels like both fatigue and a memory wipe. It's not the best way to live but I can't really see an alternative. During every period of celibacy I feel my brain coming right again and my ability to function improving dramatically. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the physiological happenings post orgasm damage my ability to think, concentrate and remember. It's not a pleasant thought but I'm optimistic this thing will be figured out. So in the meantime I guess I'll join a monastery :)

Offline Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #15017 on: 26/11/2011 16:19:47 »
Hi All!

This is my first chance to look at recent posts since the day before Thanksgiving in the US (since 11/23).

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all who celebrate this wonderful holiday of gratitude for the important things in life, and the same wishes to everyone on this forum who live in countries where Thanksgiving isn't formally celebrated!! 

At our Thanksgiving table, which we spend traditionally with our closest friends every year, we each go around the table and mention at least one thing that we're thankful for.

I didn't shout out, "I'm grateful for the POIS group!!"  But I did express gratitude for being in the position to "know" a wonderful group that consists of amazing unsung heroes.  You ALL are unsung heroes!!

You men are together finding ways to cope with a MISERABLE disorder, despite the intensely personal nature of POIS and despite having been neglected and marginalized in the past by the medical establishment. You are constantly questioning/ researching/discussing -- finding possible leads, possible helpful treatments. I don't have the words to describe how seriously impressive this all is!

And so many of you are posting your questions and/or comments in English, when English is not your native language -- and you are making yourselves completely understood!!! 

So -- thank you for sharing your strength, your weaknesses, your coping mechanisms, your relentless searching for answers, your BRAVERY in the face of such a *%$#)@ψ disorder!!!

One of these days, and I from-the-heart predict that it will not take long -- you men will have helped find the real cause of POIS, and will be free of it -- whether by symptom control or by cure.  It will happen because of you. Your bravery, your ingenuity, your generosity, and absolutely your senses of humor -- will also help the countless other men --  and boys on the verge of puberty --  who have not come forward, or who are not yet even aware that what has been ruining their lives is this thing called POIS.

And lest I forget -- thank you for letting me play a small part (and I do mean small!) in helping!!  It's an honor.

Please remind yourselves of your amazing strength and bravery! 

You're all heroes, and need to really KNOW that. You're unsung heroes -- and true, honest-to-goodness TRAIL BLAZERS!!!

Stef

Offline kurtosis

• View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: 26/11/2011 21:03:11 »
Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all who celebrate this wonderful holiday of gratitude for the important things in life, and the same wishes to everyone on this forum who live in countries where Thanksgiving isn't formally celebrated!! 

I didn't shout out, "I'm grateful for the POIS group!!"  But I did express gratitude for being in the position to "know" a wonderful group that consists of amazing unsung heroes.  You ALL are unsung heroes!!
That was a lovely message Stef. Belated Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Offline Habibou

• View Profile
« Reply #15019 on: 26/11/2011 22:12:18 »
This is a wonderful message we all got Stephanie, full of hope!! Thank you very much ! :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: 27/11/2011 00:11:02 »

Stef, my Thanksgiving for you is.....daily.

You have advanced our cause immeasurably!

Thank you ever so much for your involvement.

:)    :)    :)

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #15021 on: 27/11/2011 19:37:00 »
I'd also like to thank Stephanie for her understanding and support. Thank you!

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15022 on: 27/11/2011 20:45:17 »
Wow Stefanie.  How did we find you, you're simply amazing.  You're more caring and understanding about what we go through than even my closest family members, whom are the few outside of the forum that I've talked to about my pois.  We are forever indebted to you and grateful to have you! 

Offline B_Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: 27/11/2011 21:13:33 »
... I try to think about how unproductive and utterly useless I'll be for at least a week after the O. But it's more than that tbh. Whatever is going on, it feels like both fatigue and a memory wipe.... There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the physiological happenings post orgasm damage my ability to think, concentrate and remember....

So POIS negatively affects my mood, which impacts all areas of my brain and makes me think less clearly.  But when I think about the effect POIS has on my cognitive function, it is actually quite specific.  On the whole, my test taking abilities are still OK.  So I can still think.  Yet I can't find words when I'm ready to talk.  I get tongue-tied, I can't remember many facts, when i try to add or subtract too many numbers in my head I'll always lose track, and also I can't process information quickly, so if someone asks me what day of the week it is my response is never automatic but will rather take a couple seconds. 

So along those lines, what I was thinking was that it would be interesting to take some online brain tests, which could test us on many different cognitive functions - and perhaps what we'll find is that some of cognitive tests we perform fine on, and 1 or 2 of them are significantly affected.  I found this website Lumosity.com that allows us to do just that.  We can take problem solving, memory, speed, flexibility and attention tests, and then measure our results against thousands of others who have done the same.  One crummy aspect is that the website costs $5 or $10 to get past the trial stage - and only the paid versions allow you to measure your scores against others.  While crummy, from what I can tell, the website is legit.  It was created in collaboration with a whole bunch of neuroscientists from some of the best medical universities.  I'm going to sign up and try it out.   

I don't know if the results could help researchers figure out what is happening in our heads, but at the very least I think it'd be nice instead of saying the general "I have brain fog" to say the more specific "I have short-term memory problems".  Perhaps a couple others could spare the $5 and try it out with me.  It's also available as an App for your phone, so you can just play the brain games in your spare time.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: 27/11/2011 21:19:48 »
B daniel try too do in out of pois
if possible 
I have done in and out  online iq and i saw 20 to 30 point drop   

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15024 on: 27/11/2011 21:19:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums